• Dave Chappelle

Votes: 51 16.1%

• Total voters

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Chris or Pryor. I'd say Pryor. Only because there's a difference between pioneers and "perfecters."

eh, pryor was a perfecter. Live In Concert is acknowledge by everyone as the GOAT stand up performance ever, that was 1979. Stand Up been pioneered before that breh, that show was THE PERFECTING of it. not to mention his albums like That ******s Crazy, Is It Something I Said, Bicentennial ******. I mean, Richard was a gifted mimic, understood women, racism, and was funny with it. I think Chris Rock sustained his stand up excellence longer, but Richard was the highest peak.

Last edited:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People picking Eddie? :dahell:

I think Pryor and Eddie are locks...

Raw and Delirious ,Coming to America ,put Harlem Nights together :ohlawd:

I wish they released all of EDDIE's SNL segments..unedited. :mjcry:

eddie murphy blessed us with too many black film classics. coming to america, harlem nights, boomerang and i honestly think Life was best of all. that shyt had a lot of substance below the comedy. shyt had me laughing and crying… thats where he beats the other 3. come to find out, making classic movies aint easy.

Daps
This is tough...Pryor and Eddie are staying that is for sure and shame on anyone that chose either of these to go.

Personally I would let go of Chapelle....JUST

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He ain't fukking with Carlin in any way shape or form. He would have to RAMP UP and maintain it for 20 more years to do that and don't see him getting any better.

Carlin and Rich are like 1a 1b. Rock has great pace and great crowd control but he ain't THAT funny. I can watch him work without laughing and still enjoy it because It's nice to see his technique.

ItzDaKiing

Freedom
Daps
I fukks with Chris rock heavy but his shyt ain't on par with the other names mentioned. Pryor, Murphy, chapplle are icons in the comedy industry. Rock is a tier below.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I can't do this.

I wanna pick rock as far as opinions alone and disagreeing with certain points but nah, can't do it

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol @ Folks saying chris rock when this whole site is like one long running chris rock joke. His influence in pop culture and even on the coli is undeniable. We refer to cacs as cacs cause of a chris rock joke.

this is why this thread makes me laugh...chris rock is probably the most dynamic standup comedian I have ever seen...his disrespect in here is hilarious

Daps
Tough one, really tough one.

I think people are forgetting the question. It's not who's the best (or rather the worst of the group), it's who's gotta go....meaning all their works gotta go.

To me, the easiest one to keep is Eddie. He's has classic standups in Delirious and Raw, plus a host of classic movies. Anybody picking Eddie, are y'all really ok losing Coming to America???

Next easiest is Dave Chappelle. Chappelle Show alone makes him un-throw-out-able. Plus he has great standups as well.

Then we have Chris Rock. I don't know what y'all are on, but Chris Rock is a GREAT standup comedian. He has multiple certified classics under his belts. His movies are trash, for for the most part. I think Top 5 is the only starring role of his that I wouldn't want to throw out, but he's great in supporting roles (shout out to Pookie). Plus we can't forget about Everybody hates Chris.

That leaves Pryor. I have the utmost respect for him and his position in the legacy of black comedians, but how many of his works would I really miss? Harlem Nights for sure, but that's probably it. I didn't like Blazing Saddles and can't think of another movie I couldn't live without. His standups are great, for sure, but I didn't grow up listening to Richard Pryor records like the generation before me did, I'm mostly limited to YouTube clips. Given the majority of this site is around the same age as me or younger, I'm convinced most people here are keeping Pryor out of respect and because of his influence on the other 3. To me the influence doesn't hold water. While it's true, most comedians are most influenced by their experiences more than an idol, so I have no reason to believe the other three would be significantly less funny without Pryor's influence. Plus that drop off is impossible to quantify so it really shouldn't be used here. Sorry Pryor, ya gotta go. :camby: :beli: :mjcry:

With all that said, I agree with the sentiment that Pryor doesn't belong in this group. Martin would've been a better choice, but if they wanted an older cat, Keenan Ivory Wayans. Keenan would've likely been thrown in the bushes by most, but if you really sit and think about his contributions it really becomes a hard throw to make.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
:camby: Chris Rock *bye* :mjlol:

Eddie has a lot of Pryor in his style and Chris a lot of Eddie in his if that makes any sense :patrice:

Dave is an original master imo/where as I can't see a CLEAR cut huge influence, at the most Pryor/Mooney maybe in some aspects:manny: