Votes: 188 59.3%
  • Dave Chappelle

Votes: 51 16.1%

• Total voters

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You sure it was Never Scared? Never Scared was solid, he flowed through topics pretty organically and was funny as fukk. Kill the Messenger was alright..what made it bad was using 3 different performances and splicing them up.
Yeah it killed the vibe of the performance

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tough one, really tough one.

I think people are forgetting the question. It's not who's the best (or rather the worst of the group), it's who's gotta go....meaning all their works gotta go.

To me, the easiest one to keep is Eddie. He's has classic standups in Delirious and Raw, plus a host of classic movies. Anybody picking Eddie, are y'all really ok losing Coming to America???

Next easiest is Dave Chappelle. Chappelle Show alone makes him un-throw-out-able. Plus he has great standups as well.

Then we have Chris Rock. I don't know what y'all are on, but Chris Rock is a GREAT standup comedian. He has multiple certified classics under his belts. His movies are trash, for for the most part. I think Top 5 is the only starring role of his that I wouldn't want to throw out, but he's great in supporting roles (shout out to Pookie). Plus we can't forget about Everybody hates Chris.

That leaves Pryor. I have the utmost respect for him and his position in the legacy of black comedians, but how many of his works would I really miss? Harlem Nights for sure, but that's probably it. I didn't like Blazing Saddles and can't think of another movie I couldn't live without. His standups are great, for sure, but I didn't grow up listening to Richard Pryor records like the generation before me did, I'm mostly limited to YouTube clips. Given the majority of this site is around the same age as me or younger, I'm convinced most people here are keeping Pryor out of respect and because of his influence on the other 3. To me the influence doesn't hold water. While it's true, most comedians are most influenced by their experiences more than an idol, so I have no reason to believe the other three would be significantly less funny without Pryor's influence. Plus that drop off is impossible to quantify so it really shouldn't be used here. Sorry Pryor, ya gotta go. :camby: :beli: :mjcry:

With all that said, I agree with the sentiment that Pryor doesn't belong in this group. Martin would've been a better choice, but if they wanted an older cat, Keenan Ivory Wayans. Keenan would've likely been thrown in the bushes by most, but if you really sit and think about his contributions it really becomes a hard throw to make.
His contributions were behind the camera tho breh. A lot of these brehs wouldn't understand but :salute: tho

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
naw not sleeping. i like killing me softly and for what it's worth. they just ain't funnier than bigger and blacker or never scared. and the last i heard Dave ain't been killing shyt.
Saw him live early this year and he got a standing O:manny:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
tough as hell but i had to drop eddie. i love his movies but i dont care for his standup or his time on SNL, and a damn sure dont like his music

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Chappelle Show was genius, but as a pure stand-up Chappelle isn't in the other three's leagues.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Chappelle can go
im sorry but Chris Rock when he said about the black man has to fly to get to where the white man can walk to shyt had me :deadmanny:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
take-notes-o.gif

will use this thread for my research
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/whats-the-consensus-on-black-comics-5-smiley-rating-system.173913/

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
Richard Pryor is the prototyple and my older brother gave 'That N1gger is Crazy' when he left for the military. He was one of the most brilliant and complex comedians of all time and even though he had some c00nish and weird tendencies, I'm giving him a pass because he had a hard ass life and he was a revelation until the day he died. He was an electric force in standup and in movies, and his short lived TV show was groundbreaking. He opened the door for comedians period and will forever be on that Pantheon.

Chris Rock is the modern day Lennie Bruce, he's had the most impactful performances on stage since Pryor. I actually don't think he gets enough credit. Dude's been in the game 25+ years and you could argue he's in his prime now. He's plugged away at making and starring in movies and has now finally cracked his own code. All of his movies are basically cult classics at worst. I've never seen a guy that has been in almost total control of career. He had a successful HBO show that he walked away just because, he's been offered late night gigs rarely offered to Black comedians and none of his movies cowtowed to c00nery or buffoonery but were sharp, witty observations from the perspective of a Black man. If I have one criticism, he has a rather acidic view of Black women.

I thought Dave Chapelle was the next Pryor, in part when I saw him Robin Hood:MIT and a couple of year later when he was featured on one of Rodney Dangerfield's young comedy stars, and I saw him when I was in college, he was performing in a club in Trenton. I thought he was a real sharp dude for a guy that was barely 20. He always had a certain It factor. He already had a comedy classic in Half Baked and that was by the time he was 25. I think the Chapelle is best sketch comedy show of all time, we quote his bast sketches over a decade later and will continue to do so. Granted the fame frazzled him a bit, but he never compromised himself and left. I don't know if he'll make a comeback, But he was a comedy explosion.

You know what I love Eddie Murphy, and I grew up on Raw and Delirious, in his prime he was maybe the 3rd or 4th most famous Black man on Earth. He single hndedly saved the clusterfukk that was SNL, by being hip and modern (for the time) and his ability to tell jokes, sing, and be physical was reminiscent of some of the greatest acts of all time, but he also had one of the biggest fall offs too and he lost me as a fan when he did Norbit. He has never been able to really redeem himself from that either. Eddie, I love you man but you have to go. :francis:
Nice in depth and objective analysis breh.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Truth be told, Richard Pryor's standups never make me laugh that much. :ohhh:.