Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I don’t expect anyone here to agree with me. But I’ve had chats with legitimate intelligent people in real life that have had more to offer to the conversation than chapelle show emojis. Some see it, some don’t. So if you don’t have anything to add, then let’s not derail this movie thread anymore than I already have :manny:

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I just found it funny how he spent a good chunk of the movie on the western set. Like dude this is supposed to be about 1969 Hollywood. Lol
Westerns were the action movies back then. He made a couple movies with blaxploitation elements too.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t expect anyone here to agree with me. But I’ve had chats with legitimate intelligent people in real life that have had more to offer to the conversation than chapelle show emojis. Some see it, some don’t. So if you don’t have anything to add, then let’s not derail this movie thread anymore than I already have :manny:
No, please go ahead and expand on what these ‘legitimate intelligent people’ have to say in regards to Monster Inc and pedophilia

All of us unintelligent folks on the coli should get enlightened

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
shyt was too long. They could've easily cut out about 45-50 minutes of this. This was my first time watching one of his movies in a theater and i regret it. Can't make a movie this long with all that dialogue and expect people not to get antsy or sleepy. I had to stretch my legs a couple of times.
I mean to be fair they're all like this. His earlier movies weren't as long but I've seen every one from Kill Bill Vol. 1 up to Hateful Eight in the theater (haven't seen this new one yet) and they all probably could have 30 mins cut out of them, but most QT movies are made for film buffs. Hateful Eight is particular seemed to really lean into the long run time and you could almost feel him having fun just leaning into all that dialogue full force.

At this point near the end of his career I'm expecting him to go more in that direction and not less, because people know what they're getting when they go into his movies. He's way past the point of dialing back dialogue and run-times.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
There were some truly funny and brilliant moments, but as usual with QT, I had trouble sinking into the story because QT always makes you painfully aware that you are watching a movie. He never allows the viewer to just lose themselves in the story because he wants you to remember he's making conscious choices that are oh so artsy and symbolic. His clever nods to other movies and pop culture are never subtle or smooth. I just wish he would allow the story to unfold once without waving to us and pointing "you see what I did there?" It's so fukking annoying. But he is more restrained here than he usually is.
I like QT a lot but you definitely tapped into something here that I never was able to verbalize before. I don't know if it annoys me as much as it does you, but you're definitely right in that I always feel like I'm watching a QT movie and never fully immersed into the story. It probably annoyed me the most with Hateful Eight and Inglorious Basterds.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
I LOVED this movie, I almost let this thread stop me from going opening weekend.

I'm not going to act like I can tell most of my friends to run out and see it, but if you really really love movies I think you'll enjoy it. It was a nice period snapshot, tied into a little real history, that they had a little fun with at the end. The visuals were great, the acting was great, I liked the characters.

The movie was about a window into the two friends lives, if the characters and their lives are interesting enough then I'll go along for the ride. It's the exact same way I felt about Roma, that movie was just showing the lives of those people at that time in that place, where something that really happened as the background that eventually affects the characters. People that found it boring, will def find this boring. People that need a joke or explosion every 5-10 minutes should stay very very far away

QT being QT took it up a notch in a way that was pretty weirdly satisfying. Knowing what actually happened, how much a dark cloud it put over hollywood and the movie industry, seeing how comically different it went in the movie was enjoyable. Once I realized what he was doing in the last reel, and how it played out I will never doubt dude again.
Gotta watch a 2nd time, but this might move up to #4 in his filmography if it holds up on second viewing.

fukk the opinions of others, the only opinion that matters is yours. More and more I find that I’m better off not reading threads about movies until after i see them. That way my opinion isn’t poisoned in some way by these bitter fukks.

Funny thing with this movie is I didn’t know anything about it. Just on some random take wife to the movie “oh what’s this about? Quentin Tarantino and Leo? :leon:“. Right before we get to the theaters wifey says a coworker saw it and hated it. I told wifey fukk her coworker opinion cuz I’m still watching it. Bottom line is I like what I like and it ain’t always what everyone else likes. :manny:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I like QT a lot but you definitely tapped into something here that I never was able to verbalize before. I don't know if it annoys me as much as it does you, but you're definitely right in that I always feel like I'm watching a QT movie and never fully immersed into the story. It probably annoyed me the most with Hateful Eight and Inglorious Basterds.
Imagine if he did make that Star Trek movie. How would he restrain himself lmao. That's why he won't ever do it.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
fukk the opinions of others, the only opinion that matters is yours. More and more I find that I’m better off not reading threads about movies until after i see them. That way my opinion isn’t poisoned in some way by these bitter fukks.

Funny thing with this movie is I didn’t know anything about it. Just on some random take wife to the movie “oh what’s this about? Quentin Tarantino and Leo? :leon:“. Right before we get to the theaters wifey says a coworker saw it and hated it. I told wifey fukk her coworker opinion cuz I’m still watching it. Bottom line is I like what I like and it ain’t always what everyone else likes. :manny:
I talked to someone who saw the movie today and they say they thought it was just "ok". Upon further conversation I discovered that they had never heard of Sharon tate and were completely unaware of her murder and the history behind it.......I begin to wonder if that's a similar through-line for people not liking it because it really didn't "explain" anything. Not to say that the only reason not to like this movie is being unaware of history....but I had such a great time with this movie, me and my boys were DYING laughing by the end. It was also a sweet take on Sharon Tate and I'm glad it ended the way it did.

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
I talked to someone who saw the movie today and they say they thought it was just "ok". Upon further conversation I discovered that they had never heard of Sharon tate and were completely unaware of her murder and the history behind it.......I begin to wonder if that's a similar through-line for people not liking it because it really didn't "explain" anything. Not to say that the only reason not to like this movie is being unaware of history....but I had such a great time with this movie, me and my boys were DYING laughing by the end. It was also a sweet take on Sharon Tate and I'm glad it ended the way it did.

I think this definitely played a role. The movie references and the Manson murders were part of the time period, so if you didn’t have some background in any of that you could get confused by things.