Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Was it bad ?

Last movie I saw where multiple people walked out was coincidently another Brad Pitt movie, Killing them Softly. Older white guy walked down the stairs and flipped off the screen. Lmao.
I loved midsommar but it has a certain scene in it that made quite a few people walk out of my showing. People went in expecting a standard horror movie and did not get that :russ:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Remember the Bruce Lee part is in Cliff's flashback. While Cliff could obviously handle his own, I think his ego was maybe exaggerating a bit.

And while Bruce is a legend, word is he also did have a huge ego. But if you're Bruce fukkin' Lee, obviously you're gonna be feeling yourself lol.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I mean, I literally talked to someone who saw the movie, didn't love it and told me they didn't know anything about Sharon tate & Manson and then when I told him he said that made the movie so much better. All I was ruminating on was whether or not this played a factor in alot of people's opinions because the movie doesn't really give much background info.

I'm the complete opposite. I know all about Manson, Spahn Ranch, Squeaky, Tex, Clem, Tate, Seibring, Polanski, Charlie going to the house looking for Dennis Wilson, etc ...all of it. Devoured that season of You Must Remember This.

Because of that, the misdirection felt cheap. I think my reaction is colored by the presentation on the 3rd act. Other than existing to surprise me, I don't think it added much of anything to the more engaging core of the story. The alt-history might've landed fine with me if it weren't for the tick-tock of that night. Over the top, imo.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
Last edited:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
So I fukked with this :ehh: I can understand the criticism or complaints about it, but it was about what I expected it to be and I had fun watching it. Leo and Pitt’s characters were fun contrasts to me, while their careers were in similar trajectories (or in Pitt’s case, nonexistent) their personalities were polar opposite. Leo’s character was the more high strung, emotional half, upset at being on the downside of his career and what he’s come to (starring in Italian spaghetti westerns) whereas Pitt was more or less resolved, if not comfortable with, his life and fate. He even said point blank in one scene he was happy being Dalton’s right hand man. So it made an interesting contrast between personalities. I did feel like maybe something was missing between them, more growth or even a rift due to the difference between their personalities but that never happened.

Margot did well playing Sharon Tate I thought as well. It’s tough to really talk much about, because of her playing a real person in such a limited role (as opposed to how she was able to embody Tanya Harding in I, Tanya) but she was very sweet and likeable. I thought her
buying a ticket to her own movie to watch it as a fan
was a nice way of making her relatable. I wasn’t crazy about her dirty soles being all up in my face :scust: but QT gonna QT.

The looming sense of dread, tension, and foreboding doom Manson and the family brought in I thought was also very well done, particularly the scene where
Cliff dropped p*ssy off at the ranch and snooped around till it hit a breaking point with the tire being slashed
. Throughout the movie it never really left my mind that Manson and Tate’s paths would inevitably cross and I was curious to see how it’d happen.
The final 20 or so minutes where the Manson family home invasion were excellent at paying off the building tension into a satisfying climax where the good guys won in bloody glory, more typical of a QT flick. It was nice seeing it happen, if only because in a way it made you forget the cruel outcome that night had in real life.

I don’t know how to feel about Bruce Lee’s depiction. I can see how it came across as disrespectful or wrong, and I don’t know if I agree with how he came off but I’m gonna let it marinate for now.

Overall this was like a 7.5-8/10 for me. Despite the fun I had with this and how much I enjoyed Pitt and DiCaprio’s characters, it felt like it was missing something. Maybe a more direct build to the final scene, maybe a missing central conflict between Cliff and Dalton, more fleshed our character building between the two. I dunno but for as long as the movie was it just has a missing element to it. I dunno how it’d rank in the grand scheme of Tarantino’s filmography as a whole, but I enjoyed this and look forward to seeing it again.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I'm the complete opposite. I know all about Manson, Spahn Ranch, Squeaky, Tex, Clem, Tate, Seibring, Polanski, Charlie going to the house looking for Dennis Wilson, etc ...all of it. Devoured that season of You Must Remember This.

Because of that, the misdirection felt cheap. I think my reaction is colored by the presentation on the 3rd act. Other than existing to surprise me, I don't think it added much of anything to the more engaging core of the story. The alt-history might've landed fine with me if it weren't for the tick-tock of that night. Over the top, imo.

Do you think, as I did, that the stronger movie, would have been one, where the murders were shown? With some restraint and malice, but real terror. I know that Tarantino has never really been that kind of director, but I thought he may have had it in him. To just shift the movies entire energy and casual, comedic violence, in contrast to the world of 60's television (I LOVE THE KILLING) to the cruel brutality of the Tate killings?

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
Thinking it over the last few days. One of the illest scenes was Leo on the set of the movie when he was fukking up his lines. And then when he had the little girl on his lap. That shyt was crazy intensity from Leo. Basically playing 2 roles at the same time. :wow:

Definitely looking forward to seeing it again.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Seeing this movie this weekend

Seems like you gotta be a big movie buff to enjoy this movie from the mixed reviews

QT is known for having fire dialogue... so is it fire?

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Seeing this movie this weekend

Seems like you gotta be a big movie buff to enjoy this movie from the mixed reviews

QT is known for having fire dialogue... so is it fire?

Yes it’s fire if you’re a movie buff. Or a QT fan in the slightest.

If your attention span is built for a Fast and Furious 1st week domestic gross contributing participant then you will walk out disappointed by the end of the movie or halfway through. No explosions or car chases :mjcry:

QT’s dialogue here is evolved and air tight. Far removed from the excessively wordy and meandering dialogue of films in his canon like Death Proof (which I still love as the part of the overall experience of Grindhouse when it came out in theaters).

I can’t wait to watch this again :yeshrug:

It’s not his apex but it’s a film head and shoulders above all of the shyt being passed off by movie studios today. The last great super director paired with the last movie icons :manny:

Last edited: