Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Tarantino is becoming a caricature of himself and the movie was littered with subliminal pedophilia.....

This is Django for white men

Django was Django for black men

Inglorious was for Jews...

This movie was subliminal pedophilia signals.... coincidentally Polanski was a pedo and Leo was probably molested in Hollywood as a youth

:manny:

You being smart dumb right now

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
It was OK. There were some truly funny and brilliant moments, but as usual with QT, I had trouble sinking into the story because QT always makes you painfully aware that you are watching a movie. He never allows the viewer to just lose themselves in the story because he wants you to remember he's making conscious choices that are oh so artsy and symbolic. His clever nods to other movies and pop culture are never subtle or smooth. I just wish he would allow the story to unfold once without waving to us and pointing "you see what I did there?" It's so fukking annoying. But he is more restrained here than he usually is.

Anyway, Leo and Brad really acted their asses off, and I enjoyed the humor for the most part. I understand what people are saying about the pacing, but that actually wasn't a problem for me. It did feel like Hollywood itself, the personalities, the era was a character in itself, and I think that's what the first hour was about. I did hate the random narrator that pops in a few times in the beginning and then suddenly takes over the last half hour. That was just weird and took me right out of the movie. The ending actually surprised me. I don't know why I thought QT would stick to history, I should have known better. I have mixed feelings about what he did there, but I have to give to him that at least he kept it interesting.

7 out of 10 because QT was still showing his ass, but I enjoyed Leo and Brad.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I found the portrayal of Bruce Lee the most interesting and fukked up.
Tarantino shytted on him. Made him out to be a delusional clown.

I understand they made Lee job to Pitt's character to legitimize him and make his character arc of this badass dude believable for the ending,
but I find it fascinating how in Tarrantino's (white) reimagined history of this Hollywood, Lee was emasculated and made to look like a fraud.

Agreed. You have a cast of white men and the one POC you reference is a literal legend and master of martial arts, and you mock him to prop up one of your white leads. It was really in poor taste.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
If this wasn’t the worst QT movie then what is?
Deathproof. The 2nd half of that was just painful. Hateful Eight is next up as a bloated retread of Reservoir Dogs with QT's "******" fetish in full force. This sits firmly as his 3rd worst to me (despite my earlier post, after sitting with it a bit, nothing in Once Upon a Time is as offensively bad as Hateful Eight, it's just boring as hell).

Ironically enough, early on when people said that Once Upon a Time was the closest he's come since Jackie Brown (his best movie imo) as far as treating characters like actual people and not just caricatures, they were absolutely right. Outside of a few QT-isms (Pig Girl near the end becoming a mouthpiece for QT for example), this movie felt "real" for the most part....or at least until Dalton's movie career picked up. He just couldn't bring it together for a cohesive and honestly, interesting movie.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I sort of liked it

This movie is way more accessible than his other films. Not as dialogue heavy as his other joints and it moved throughout.

The biggest flaw with this movie is that the Sharon Tate angle was literally unnecessary.

He indulged the fukk out of his feet fetish.
I just think that was a major misdirect.

Movie played better the 2nd time I watched. Still probably a 7.5/10 for me. However, probably one of those movies that ages well years from now imo.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

I understand they made Lee job to Pitt's character to legitimize him and make his character arc of this badass dude believable for the ending,
but I find it fascinating how in Tarrantino's (white) reimagined history of this Hollywood, Lee was emasculated and made to look like a fraud.

Other than that the direction was solid, Leo was great (as usual) as his role of an actor facing his twilight years (the one-shot takes of him fukking up his lines and scenes with the 8 yr old girl were great), Pitt was cool, as was Robbie.

That scene was Cliff on the roof of Rick's house imagining how he would have fukked things up if he had Rick get him a job on set.
So it wasn't a "real" scene of Cliff kicking Bruce Lee's ass. It was Cliff thinking he would kick Bruce Lee's ass.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California

Other than that the direction was solid, Leo was great (as usual) as his role of an actor facing his twilight years (the one-shot takes of him fukking up his lines and scenes with the 8 yr old girl were great), Pitt was cool, as was Robbie.
That’s what I mean that this was a “white male” masculinity film...

And just so no one would question it, they big upped Ali the entire scene.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
What subliminal pedophilia?

Brad Pitt’s character turned down a chick because she wasn’t 18.

And not every interaction between a grown man and a young girl is pedophilia. You can’t even take your daughter, niece, or cousin to the fukking park nowadays without people raising their eyebrows.

If you’re referring to Leo and the 8-year-old, they were co-workers. There was no hint of anything sexual between them in their interactions or conversations.

Roman Polanski WAS married to Sharon Tate regardless of his later crimes. That’s not what the movie was about.

Now the Manson cult was an accurate reflection of what was actually going on. It was implied in the actions of that girl Pitt turned down, but that shyt is just a reflection of reality. There’s a lot of pedo shyt going on in the real world, all the way up that piece of shyt Donald Trump.

You should not be gratuitous with it, but authentic narratives are going to have evil people with money and/or power doing pedo shyt, because in real life, that’s one of the things evil people with money and/or power enjoy doing the most.

Now where’s the “subliminal pedophilia”?

Agree to disagree :manny:

There was no reason to have the little girl acting like an adult and kneeling in front of Leo with her hand on his leg....

No reason for her to be in his lap during the filming sequence....

No reason to even bring up the young girl angle of the hitchhiking hippy....

Those scenes didn’t even need to be in the film or could have been much different and still accomplish the goal of this film.

I personally think QT is self aware and was throwing shots at pedos in Hollywood. Leo got touched by Brian Peck, Polanski had his issues, Etc etc....

But hey, agree to disagree :manny:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That scene was Cliff on the roof of Rick's house imagining how he would have fukked things up if he had Rick get him a job on set.
So it wasn't a "real" scene of Cliff kicking Bruce Lee's ass. It was Cliff thinking he would kick Bruce Lee's ass.
That actually happened. Cliff asked Rick to see if he could get him a spot on the Western. Rick told him there was no point in asking the head of the stunt team if Cliff could get a role because he was best friends with Randy. On the roof Cliff has a flashback of Rick getting him a role on presumably the Green Hornet, him and Bruce Lee really going at it and Randy's wife getting pissed off because he was putting hands on the star of the show and fukked up her car.

That's why he goes "That's fair:manny:" when they cut back to him on the roof. He knew there was no way Randy's boy would allow him on set.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Agree to disagree :manny:

There was no reason to have the little girl acting like an adult and kneeling in front of Leo with her hand on his leg....

No reason for her to be in his lap during the filming sequence....

No reason to even bring up the young girl angle of the hitchhiking hippy....

Those scenes didn’t even need to be in the film or could have been much different and still accomplish the goal of this film.

I personally think QT is self aware and was throwing shots at pedos in Hollywood. Leo got touched by Brian Peck, Polanski had his issues, Etc etc....

But hey, agree to disagree :manny:
I don’t think you know what pedophilia is, and imma leave it at that.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Deathproof. The 2nd half of that was just painful. Hateful Eight is next up as a bloated retread of Reservoir Dogs with QT's "******" fetish in full force. This sits firmly as his 3rd worst to me (despite my earlier post, after sitting with it a bit, nothing in Once Upon a Time is as offensively bad as Hateful Eight, it's just boring as hell).

Ironically enough, early on when people said that Once Upon a Time was the closest he's come since Jackie Brown (his best movie imo) as far as treating characters like actual people and not just caricatures, they were absolutely right. Outside of a few QT-isms (Pig Girl near the end becoming a mouthpiece for QT for example), this movie felt "real" for the most part....or at least until Dalton's movie career picked up. He just couldn't bring it together for a cohesive and honestly, interesting movie.

Worst:

1. Death Proof extended cut.

2. Death Proof original version.

Which is f*cked up, because 1st half of Death Proof and Stuntman Mike could have been a good shlock film without all the unnecessary bloat.

Yeah, As far as Jackie Brown, that lukewarm response he got from that film scared QT. They wanted more Pulp Fiction and easter eggs, and gotcha moments. Not real sh*t about getting old, etc. He tried to do the same thing with Leo's character becoming a has-been, but wanted to make sure he had enough QT-isms that his die-hards wouldn't complain about it being too serious.