Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I feel you.

Tate was the one who was murdered in real life, while pregnant. Manson's crew went up to the house and murdered her and her friends in that house. It was a historic event.

Tarantino exploited that aspect and put her character in the movie. Had Dalton live next door to her. Given all of that, something was bound to happen. That adds to the allure to the movie besides Leo and Brad Pitt and Margot being in it and Tarantino directing it.

And knowing what Tarantino did in lnglorious Basterds in altering history, another draw is what he would do with the Manson crew Tate murder.

You are right, Tate was unnecessary. So was the Manson aspect. Instead, Tarantino went back to his old bag of tricks. He relied on exploiting the Tate and Manson historical event to help aid his movie. Had he not, the movie would have been a thinner story than in its current form.
I didn’t mind the Manson angle and I think that was used well considering that’s what Manson did in real life.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
I didn’t mind the Manson angle and I think that was used well considering that’s what Manson did in real life.

What Manson did in real life was order the murder of Tate and others in that house though, breh.

Her murder was the best (and unfortunate) example of the ruthlessness, power, control, and craziness that is Charles Manson. They are forever linked in history. You couldn't have one without the other, especially with this movie set in Hollywood where Tate was an actress. :manny:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I have enjoyed all of Tarantino’s movies. Even the ones I didn’t care much for. I won’t be seeing this movie ever again. There’s no reason. This was some self indulgent trash. I might as well have watched him stroke his dikk, and the cum dripping down his hands, because that’s what this was. I was an hour into the movie wondering what this shyt was about. And I thought that Midsommer was on some shyt. At least at its core, it was about a long breakup, trauma, and finding a place where you belong with people who will share your pain. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood was about some bullshyt. Everyone did a great job, but I can’t tell you what this movie is really about. And if it went over my head, well I don’t really give a fukk.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a person who had read a lot about the Sharon Tate murder before this movie was even announced, I was curious as to what direction this film would take.

That being said, I was not disappointed. Leo playing a washed up actor, Pitt playing his reliable driver who finds himself in dangerous territory.

There were several scenes I liked. Bruce Lee’s monologue, the sheer absurdity of Brad Pitt’s character going toe-to-toe with him, Leo’s interactions with the 8-year-old, the practically full-length episodes of old Western TV shows, Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate enjoying her own film, Pitt heading to Manson’s commune and refusing to leave without seeing the old man (lots of tension in that scene), the suspense building on the day the murderers planned their attack, and finally the gratification of what SHOULD have happened to Manson’s crazy killers.

Was it unnecessarily slow-paced in parts? Absolutely. I even admit I got bored at times. But I liked the movie quite a bit and it felt so different from Tarantino’s other works that it’s hard to compare. I definitely wouldn’t consider it his worst film...just different in both good and bad ways.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Wow........ just finished it.......... this is probably the first movie I’ve ever went to where when it ended....... everyone just had an expression like:dwillhuh: and slowly confusingly just get out their seats and leave

That shyt was sooooooooo anti climatic :dwillhuh:

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Tarantino is becoming a caricature of himself and the movie was littered with subliminal pedophilia.....

This is Django for white men

Django was Django for black men

Inglorious was for Jews...

This movie was subliminal pedophilia signals.... coincidentally Polanski was a pedo and Leo was probably molested in Hollywood as a youth

:manny:

Last edited:

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tarantino is becoming a caricature of himself and the movie was littered with subliminal pedophilia.....

This is Django for white men

Django was Django for black men

Inglorious was for Jews...

This movie was subliminal pedophilia signals.... coincidentally Polanski was a pedo and Leo was probably molested in Hollywood as a youth

:manny:

What subliminal pedophilia?

Brad Pitt’s character turned down a chick because she wasn’t 18.

And not every interaction between a grown man and a young girl is pedophilia. You can’t even take your daughter, niece, or cousin to the fukking park nowadays without people raising their eyebrows.

If you’re referring to Leo and the 8-year-old, they were co-workers. There was no hint of anything sexual between them in their interactions or conversations.

Roman Polanski WAS married to Sharon Tate regardless of his later crimes. That’s not what the movie was about.

Now the Manson cult was an accurate reflection of what was actually going on. It was implied in the actions of that girl Pitt turned down, but that shyt is just a reflection of reality. There’s a lot of pedo shyt going on in the real world, all the way up that piece of shyt Donald Trump.

You should not be gratuitous with it, but authentic narratives are going to have evil people with money and/or power doing pedo shyt, because in real life, that’s one of the things evil people with money and/or power enjoy doing the most.

Now where’s the “subliminal pedophilia”?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Tarantino = Rick Dalton.

A trash movie with good moments.

This movie should have been 1 1/2 hour maximum. And that would have been stretching it.

Margot's character was useless besides being great eye candy. This is the best Margot has looked in a movie. She looked great in this movie. Nothing much to work with besides walking around being a 60's blonde without a care in the world.

Al Pacino, Bruce Dern, and Kurt Russel were pretty much useless too.

Lena Dunham's appearance. :mjlol:

The really bad:

When Margot put her feet up in the movie theater. The dirty soles of her feet :scust:

When the broad in the car put her feet on the windshield? Yellowish color? :hhh:

I'm cool on feet , but if you gonna show them, clean them sh*ts. :mjtf:

Highlights:

Characters just driving around in old cars, old TV sets, old music. Gave it a good 60s vibe. The camera shots from up top to go from Dalton's place down to Tate's place.

Leo being Leo. :smugdraper:He and the 8 year old actress scenes were good.

Leo's italian wife in the movie. That a** of hers in the movie. :banderas:

Bruce Lee getting his a** kicked :shaq2: +:pachaha: at the same time. :mjlol:

The dog and both dog food prep sequences :whoo:

The MVP of this dud of a movie:

Brad Pitt. He stole the show. Very funny, especially the last part when he was high. :russ:

Overall, Tarantino has run to the well too many times. He has been running in circles, creatively.

There is really no movie or plot. 2 hours and 30 minutes....is waaaaaay too long. Taratino is in love with making long movies. That is cool, if the story, action or plot is compelling. It just wasn't enough there. :yeshrug:

This movie was absolute dog shyt. If it was chopped down into a 1hr Netflix movie it would have been amazing.

It just dragged on about nothing.

The sets, cars, backdrops, wardrobe, music was top notch.

I almost fell asleep about an hour in.

Trash.

Not even any memorable dialogue in this one.

Sounds like every other Tarantino movie. :ehh:

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I found the portrayal of Bruce Lee the most interesting and fukked up.
Tarantino shytted on him. Made him out to be a delusional clown.

I understand they made Lee job to Pitt's character to legitimize him and make his character arc of this badass dude believable for the ending,
but I find it fascinating how in Tarrantino's (white) reimagined history of this Hollywood, Lee was emasculated and made to look like a fraud.

Other than that the direction was solid, Leo was great (as usual) as his role of an actor facing his twilight years (the one-shot takes of him fukking up his lines and scenes with the 8 yr old girl were great), Pitt was cool, as was Robbie.