Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I sort of liked it

This movie is way more accessible than his other films. Not as dialogue heavy as his other joints and it moved throughout.

The biggest flaw with this movie is that the Sharon Tate angle was literally unnecessary.

He indulged the fukk out of his feet fetish.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
I sort of liked it

This movie is way more accessible than his other films. Not as dialogue heavy as his other joints and it moved throughout.

The biggest flaw with this movie is that the Sharon Tate angle was literally unnecessary.

It kinda was necessary in that it helped sell the movie in a way.

Also, it was the underlying tension in the movie. The movie was verrrrrrrrrrrry long. But you knew something was going to happen at the end based on what happened with Tate and Manson's crew. Tension revved up too when they went to the movie ranch. Felt like something was going to pop off there. Movie ranch scene was kinda like the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds where Tarantino was playing around with the tension. Tarantino used the Tate aspect and her perceived doom in providing the tension and drama in the movie.

It also helped the twist at the end. Added more to the shock value of the twist. He did the same thing in Inglorious Basterds with Hitler's outcome.

There was this ever present hanging cloud hovering throughout the movie due to Tate's fate. Also, what that would mean for Dalton living next door to her,and Cliff who was always around. Without that tension based on historical events, the movie would even be less than it was.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It kinda was necessary in that it helped sell the movie in a way.

Also, it was the underlying tension in the movie. The movie was verrrrrrrrrrrry long. But you knew something was going to happen at the end based on what happened with Tate and Manson's crew. Tension reved up too when they went to the movie ranch. Felt like something was going pop off there. Movie ranch scene was kinda like the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds where Tarantino was playing around with the tension. Tarantino used the Tate aspect and her perceived doom in providing the tension and drama in the movie.

It also helped the twist at the end. Added more to the shock value of the twist. He did the same thing in Inglorious Basterds with Hitler's outcome.

Without that tension based on historial events, the movie would even be less than it was.
Notice I said it about the Tate angle.

And I didn’t say it about Manson. That’s where the tension came from for me. And that was one scene.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Halfway through this, I was thinking of making this elaborate sarcastic post fake praising the movie, but I scrapped the idea, much like this film should've been.

:unimpressed: doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm all for a slow-burning movie but this shyt was GLACIAL. It's really disappointing because the talent is there, but fukk if they were utilized. A film about Rick Dalton struggling withis talents and standing in Hollywood or Cliff being this unstable war vet ready to bubble over at any time would've been an infinitely better movie. Instead we get this...meandering shlock. Points to QT for actually not dropping the n-word at all but that's where it stops. He still couldn't keep it in his pants bevause his foot fetish was on FULL DISPLAY in this one. Even worse than Deathrproof. 1 scene towards the end does not make up for 2 and a half hours of boredom. I should've known something was up when my theater wasn't packed and only old white folks kept coming in. :snoop:

Speaking of which...someone apparently collapsed right after the climax and just before the credits and the fire department had to wheel him out. :picard:

And I'm ashamed to say it, but that was the most exciting part of this theater experience today. Terrible movie.

I didn't like Hateful Eight but it was miles better than this bullshyt.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Notice I said it about the Tate angle.

And I didn’t say it about Manson. That’s where the tension came from for me. And that was one scene.

I feel you.

Tate was the one who was murdered in real life, while pregnant. Manson's crew went up to the house and murdered her and her friends in that house. It was a historic event.

Tarantino exploited that aspect and put her character in the movie. Had Dalton live next door to her. Given all of that, something was bound to happen. That adds to the allure to the movie besides Leo and Brad Pitt and Margot being in it and Tarantino directing it.

And knowing what Tarantino did in lnglorious Basterds in altering history, another draw is what he would do with the Manson crew Tate murder.

You are right, Tate was unnecessary. So was the Manson aspect. Instead, Tarantino went back to his old bag of tricks. He relied on exploiting the Tate and Manson historical event to help aid his movie. Had he not, the movie would have been a thinner story than in its current form.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I feel you.

Tate was the one who was murdered in real life, while pregnant. Manson's crew went up to the house and murdered her and her friends in that house. It was a historic event.

Tarantino exploited that aspect and put her character in the movie. Had Dalton live next door to her. Given all of that, something was bound to happen. That adds to the allure to the movie besides Leo and Brad Pitt and Margot being in it and Tarantino directing it.

And knowing what Tarantino did in lnglorious Basterds in altering history, another draw is what he would do with the Manson crew Tate murder.

You are right, Tate was unnecessary. So was the Manson aspect. Instead, Tarantino went back to his old bag of tricks. He relied on exploiting the Tate and Manson historical event to help aid his movie. Had he not, the movie would have been a thinner story than in its current form.

This is definitely an 'insider's movie' in that you need a relatively high level of insight into the Charlie Manson story to really appreciate the characters and the story.

Imagine if the premise of this movie was applied to say OJ's story? I think it'd resonate a lot more on the Coli

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I sort of liked it

The Sharon Tate stuff was a misdirection

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
This is definitely an 'insider's movie' in that you need a relatively high level of insight into the Charlie Manson story to really appreciate the characters and the story.

Imagine if the premise of this movie was applied to say OJ's story? I think it'd resonate a lot more on the Coli

I mean, the Manson crew murders transcended time. Manson is still talked about until this day. Tate is known for being murdered and being Polanski's wife.

OJ is more recent of course. But then it would have to be a 90s flick. That is too modern for Tarantino it seems lately. :mjgrin:

When was the last time he made a present-day movie. Death Proof? Kill Bill?

Between Django, Inglorious, Hateful 8, and Once Upon a time, Tarantino keeps going back in time for his movies.

Tarantino was born in the early 60s.

For the most part, one had to be born in the 50s or early 60s to know all the hollywood and movie references in Once Upon a Time.