[Once more] Striking Distance (Callisto Protocol) says hard to be profitable making single player games on Gamepass

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
you see Disney releasing their movies on D+ day one? There's a reason for it. And the price of the brick going up on D+ and the Disney Bundle too. :francis:

I love streaming services and I don't have a problem with gamepass. But this notion that every game is going to be super profitable on it is silly. Certain games will need to go to the direct market first, then go to streaming to pick up the crumbs at a later date.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I love streaming services and I don't have a problem with gamepass. But this notion that every game is going to super profitable on it is silly. Certain games will need to go to the direct market first, then go to streaming to pick up the crumbs at a later date.

Exactly.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Even WB is looking at everything they poured into the Snyder Cut of Justice League, and that it didn't bring in any extra subscribers or profit to the platform. There's also a reason why all of these streaming services are starting to offer ad supported tiers now. But yet video games are supposed to bo so different somehow.

Yeah the math ain’t math’n for me and I don’t care how they dress it up right now to get people into the system. People are too easily fooled by these subscription plans when they are in the height of their customer acquisition phase, it happened with disney +, Amazon prime (i just realized this went up in price like twice and i didnt even know), hulu (remember when it was actually free?), Spotify, etc.

Once they throw stuff like starfield and call of duty on it they are going to pivot drastically on it

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Whats funny is Netflix distributes movies internationally on their service that are in theaters here in the US.

When I went to Egypt a few years ago, I brought my firestick with me and loaded it up. I see the new Shaft on there and me and the wife start watching it. We didn't finish. I get back home expecting to see it and it's not on the US servers. Apparently some studios cut distribution deals to have Netflix show the movies day 1 in some regions.

The studio knows that Shaft has no real appeal outside of the United States, and then only with a certain demographic in the US. It makes sense to make a streaming deal internationally, but make your money back from the black audience domestically.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Y’all can stop comparing Movies/TV streaming to games.

Two very different products.

Movies/TV don’t have the multiple income streams and ongoing engagement a game can have.

The most popular and most profitable games are free to play right now.

Everyone who’s involved in gaming, including sony makes the MAJORITY of their money on digital services, dlc, microtransactions, etc. Not individual games sales.

Again the entire industry sees where we are headed. Regulatory organizations around the world see it. Sony themselves see it, but somehow, someway sony stans don’t see it :mjlol:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Y’all can stop comparing Movies/TV streaming to games.

Two very different products.

Movies/TV don’t have the multiple income streams and ongoing engagement a game can have.

The most popular and most profitable games are free to play right now.

Everyone who’s involved in gaming, including sony makes the MAJORITY of their money on digital services, dlc, microtransactions, etc. Not individual games sales.

Again the entire industry sees where we are headed. Regulatory organizations around the world see it. Sony themselves see it, but somehow, someway sony stans don’t see it :mjlol:

Keep living in fantasy land:russ:

Also, you just supported the whole argument for not putting something on gamepass:mjlol:

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Keep living in fantasy land:russ:
Nothing i said was a fantasy.

We have official statements from sony saying how they can’t compete in the subscription market. We have sony spending billions on becoming a multiplayer focused, multiplatform developer.

Sony’s own financial statements show they make most of their money selling DLC on shyt like fortnight and apex legends. Which is why they’ve totally changed their business plans going forward.

We have official statements from regulatory organizations around the world about how the market could/will be unfair if other companies can’t compete with microsoft on streaming services.

Call of Duty, one of the most popular and successful franchises in the history of gaming has gone FTP even without gamepass.

These are all clearly demonstrable facts.

I’m not the one living in fantasy land here:ufdup:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nothing i said was a fantasy.

We have official statements from sony saying how they can’t compete in the subscription market. We have sony spending billions on becoming a multiplayer focused, multiplatform developer.

Sony’s own financial statements show they make most of their money selling DLC on shyt like fortnight and apex legends. Which is why they’ve totally changed their business plans going forward.

We have official statements from regulatory organizations around the world about how the market could/will be unfair if other companies can’t compete with microsoft on streaming services.

Call of Duty, one of the most popular and successful franchises in the history of gaming has gone FTP even without gamepass.

These are all clearly demonstrable facts.

I’m not the one living in fantasy land here:ufdup:

So you agree that this developer is right about why their game being profitable on game pass is more difficult for them?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
But this notion that every game is going to be super profitable on it is silly.
Who said this?

Gamepass is merely another option for devs to monetize their games. Some games day one makes sense, some games make sense to come to the platform later. Some games it may never make sense to be on gamepass.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So you agree that this developer is right about why their game being profitable on game pass is more difficult for them?
They could be right.

They are basically betting on themselves.

Game could miss their sales targets and they could end up wishing they made that up front money.

Or it could sell really good out the gate and they can look at gamepass later.

We don’t even know what or if microsoft offered them anything, maybe microsoft doesn’t feel the game is worth throwing a bag at them like they’ve done other games.

Other indie horror games have done really well on the service.

I think this game has a really high budget comparatively and they feel they have a built in fan base due to the popularity of dead space.

Time will tell if they made the right decision.:manny:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
gamepass is the future no one will be able to keep up :ufdup:

Gamepass is merely an option, devs dont have to use it and players dont have to opt into it:ufdup: