Old School vs New School beef is brewing

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
between the comments from Chief Keef, Yachty, Uzi Vert, Young Thug etc there seems to be strong "I don't give a fukk" about the past that hasn't been in rap before. Not to say that rap hasn't always been a young mans game, and even more so, a new persons game. But the rappers in the 90s still paid homage (by and large). My question is where do you stand on the argument? Since rap is so different now do you think young rappers need to know their history? Does it even matter?

Do you feel older rappers should stfu and let the young dudes cook? What's your thoughts?
fukk history..nikka would be in school if they wanted to learn..its bout gettin money..nething they should know is how not to get fukked like pac n biggie did money wise...

im a young nikka in the game...i would peep what frank ocean n slim thug did..fukk biggie pac..n inspectah deck

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
fukk history..nikka would be in school if they wanted to learn..its bout gettin money..nething they should know is how not to get fukked like pac n biggie did money wise...

Low key this is a powerful post....

Doods in their 30s getting their rocking chair, back in my day on is always so embarrassing. Muhfukkas want to be old souls so bad all over this thread.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA.jpg

YOU’RE NOT AN OLD HEAD, YOU’RE JUST OLD
AND THEY SAID HIP HOP WAS DEAD!
PUBLISHED ON AUGUST 25, 2016
BY SKIP CLASS

Illustrations: Jenny Scales
You’re now 30 bullets old. Maybe older. You hear all these kids yelling “lit” and repeating a phrase for three minutes and calling it a song. And you’re getting real tight. This is not music. This is clearly a weak-ass generation that has no idea how to make real rap. Or…maybe, just maybe, you are only skimming the surface of what’s out there. You are not actually bothering to listen to these new jacks and the quality music they are putting out. And since you don’t understand it, then it must be shyt. Right? Cause that’s how it works. If you can’t understand it then it has to be straight garbage.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Future-Clones.jpg
1. All these new rappers sound the same.
Pick your favorite era and I can point out five emcees that sound exactly like each other. Old heads are upset because everyone is named Lil Supa Soaka and Murda Mane, but old heads are suspiciously quick to forget that it was once super hot-to-have a 5 Percenter name. Or how Das EFX was basically that generation’s Migos. Once Das EFX blew up, every riggety-real emcee you can think of started to sound like they were Straight Out Da Sewer. Pull up that Big L and Jay Z – Stretch & Bobbito freestyle and tell me who Jay sounds like. Did we forget the super scientifically mathematical flow logical trend? I didn’t. Lots of rappers rhyming about astro physics and the cosmos. That was just a coincidence too, huh? Rappers have always sounded similar. It only bothers you now because they don’t sound the same as your favorite group from high school.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_GodMC.jpg
2. None of these rappers have respect for the OGs.
Respect is not easily measured. Expecting a new generation to bow down to an older generation is the opposite of progress. The reason you love Illmatic is because it doesn’t have any Run-DMC features. Imagine bumping “NY State Of Mind” and right after Nas’ verse, DMC starts kicking some bars about shell toes and hanging out with fukking Aerosmith. The current generation, for the most part, goes out of their way to get features from older rappers–even when it costs them their own money. ScHoolboy Q has E-40, Tha Dogg Pound, and Jadakiss features on his new LP. Jadakiss is basically old head royalty. And yet, I would wager you can’t name Kiss’ last album. Q has no obligation or marketing need to have a Kiss feature. It cost ScHoolboy Q more money to get that Jadakiss verse than you have spent on your entire sneaker collection. So who’s really a bigger fan of the previous generation?

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Kanye-Napoleon.jpg
3. Kanye has ruined the whole culture.
True, but he also let Madlib produce the beat for his single on his biggest album to date. Let that sink in. The world’s most infamous ego maniac let Madlib (a producer that has never charted, ever) do the beat for “No More Parties In L.A” and he makes it one of the first songs the world hears from his “greatest musical achievement.” I certainly didn’t complain. But I will not deny him for his ability to do amazingly cool shyt given his position in music. Things you wouldn’t expect like dropping his entire schedule to go give the eulogy for Phife Dawg’s funeral. For a person who is obsessed with himself, he actually has very, very, very respectable taste in emcees and producers.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Youngthug.jpg

4. Young Thug is garbage.
Oh lawd. Trashing Young Thug is like cocaine to old heads. “Jeffrey” makes them so uncomfortable. Young Thug on the exterior looks like a dusted out scarecrow, but he raps extremely well:

“Choppers, AK’s, hand Grenades we take that kill shyt no payback
But I’ll kill you and listen close no mistake that
But we don’t play basketball, bytch there’s no take back”

There’s enough in those three lines to validate that he possesses a measurable amount of skill. But the real draw for the listener is not when he flexes complex sets of syllables and sounds in rapid succession. The pay off is when Thug croaks out: “Money stand like 8 feet, just like 2 midgets.”

If DOOM said that shyt you’d praise the metal-faced god for his grammatical genius. But he didn’t.

Thugga yelled that absurdly clever shyt and it’s all you need to understand that there’s more going on in that prickly-pierced bleached goblin man than meets the eye. Depending on what side of the spectrum you fall. This is probably a good time to use what I call the “Sadat X Factor.” The Sadat X factor is a system I created to tell whether someone hates someone’s voice or hates the way they rap. Think about it. No one is indecisive about Sadat X. Old heads either love Sadat’s voice or they hate it. But, the beauty of the system is that you can’t say he is trash. You are forced to pick one. Does his voice bother the shyt out of you or do you have issues with his bars? Cause only one of those things can be trash. Is Young Thug actual trash or do you not like his voice?

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Dipset-Ed-Hardy.jpg
5. All these rappers dress the same.
True. So true guys. You got me. These fashion rappers are dressing up exactly the same which means our generation was vastly superior. EXCEPT…this has happened since the beginning of rap and you have the memory capacity of a floppy disk, dawgie. In the early ’80s they were dressing like P Funk. Mid ’80s it was truck jewels, Cazals, track suits. ’90s: military wear, boots, hoodies, Carhartt, then the jiggy era, then the tall tee era and let’s not forget that Dipset, arguably one of the most fashionable groups of all time, wore the shyt out of Ed Hardy. Jones even started some diet Affliction t-shirt line that was so bad. Trends are trends. Nothing is new and it wasn’t better back then. You just were younger and didn’t have a credit score to worry about.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_cassettes.jpg
6. Everybody just makes mixtapes. They can’t make an actual LP.
First off, music is 100% free. You pay no money. Truly think about that fact before you complain. You never have to pay for an album ever again. How quickly the old heads forget the infamous day of disappointment when we were all promised that Canibus was Rakim reincarnated. We rushed out to get that whack ass Can-I-Bus album. We no longer have to blindly purchase an album ever again. They give away all the music at an unprecedented level. Imagine if your favorite ’90s rapper had produced as much material in their prime as some of these new cats. That whole era would be vastly different.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_GustoCB4.jpg
7. All these new rappers are fake.
Spoiler Alert: almost all rappers are fake. Requiring a rapper to be an actual criminal is absurd. Saying rappers are fake is not an original revelation. Chris Rock made CB4knowing most rappers were faking the funk. The film was released in 1993 aka 23 years ago. This isn’t a new point. And it is not good one either. Wu-Tang Clan wasn’t from Shaolin and Lil Turnt Knife most likely did not sell bricks of cocaine. Also, selling cocaine is not a good thing. Music is still allowed to be escapism. It does not have to be literal. And more often than not, those that talk bout that life reap the consequences from it, in one form or another.

You're Not An Old Head, You're Just Old

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA.jpg

YOU’RE NOT AN OLD HEAD, YOU’RE JUST OLD
AND THEY SAID HIP HOP WAS DEAD!
PUBLISHED ON AUGUST 25, 2016
BY SKIP CLASS

Illustrations: Jenny Scales
You’re now 30 bullets old. Maybe older. You hear all these kids yelling “lit” and repeating a phrase for three minutes and calling it a song. And you’re getting real tight. This is not music. This is clearly a weak-ass generation that has no idea how to make real rap. Or…maybe, just maybe, you are only skimming the surface of what’s out there. You are not actually bothering to listen to these new jacks and the quality music they are putting out. And since you don’t understand it, then it must be shyt. Right? Cause that’s how it works. If you can’t understand it then it has to be straight garbage.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Future-Clones.jpg
1. All these new rappers sound the same.
Pick your favorite era and I can point out five emcees that sound exactly like each other. Old heads are upset because everyone is named Lil Supa Soaka and Murda Mane, but old heads are suspiciously quick to forget that it was once super hot-to-have a 5 Percenter name. Or how Das EFX was basically that generation’s Migos. Once Das EFX blew up, every riggety-real emcee you can think of started to sound like they were Straight Out Da Sewer. Pull up that Big L and Jay Z – Stretch & Bobbito freestyle and tell me who Jay sounds like. Did we forget the super scientifically mathematical flow logical trend? I didn’t. Lots of rappers rhyming about astro physics and the cosmos. That was just a coincidence too, huh? Rappers have always sounded similar. It only bothers you now because they don’t sound the same as your favorite group from high school.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_GodMC.jpg
2. None of these rappers have respect for the OGs.
Respect is not easily measured. Expecting a new generation to bow down to an older generation is the opposite of progress. The reason you love Illmatic is because it doesn’t have any Run-DMC features. Imagine bumping “NY State Of Mind” and right after Nas’ verse, DMC starts kicking some bars about shell toes and hanging out with fukking Aerosmith. The current generation, for the most part, goes out of their way to get features from older rappers–even when it costs them their own money. ScHoolboy Q has E-40, Tha Dogg Pound, and Jadakiss features on his new LP. Jadakiss is basically old head royalty. And yet, I would wager you can’t name Kiss’ last album. Q has no obligation or marketing need to have a Kiss feature. It cost ScHoolboy Q more money to get that Jadakiss verse than you have spent on your entire sneaker collection. So who’s really a bigger fan of the previous generation?

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Kanye-Napoleon.jpg
3. Kanye has ruined the whole culture.
True, but he also let Madlib produce the beat for his single on his biggest album to date. Let that sink in. The world’s most infamous ego maniac let Madlib (a producer that has never charted, ever) do the beat for “No More Parties In L.A” and he makes it one of the first songs the world hears from his “greatest musical achievement.” I certainly didn’t complain. But I will not deny him for his ability to do amazingly cool shyt given his position in music. Things you wouldn’t expect like dropping his entire schedule to go give the eulogy for Phife Dawg’s funeral. For a person who is obsessed with himself, he actually has very, very, very respectable taste in emcees and producers.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Youngthug.jpg

4. Young Thug is garbage.
Oh lawd. Trashing Young Thug is like cocaine to old heads. “Jeffrey” makes them so uncomfortable. Young Thug on the exterior looks like a dusted out scarecrow, but he raps extremely well:

“Choppers, AK’s, hand Grenades we take that kill shyt no payback
But I’ll kill you and listen close no mistake that
But we don’t play basketball, bytch there’s no take back”

There’s enough in those three lines to validate that he possesses a measurable amount of skill. But the real draw for the listener is not when he flexes complex sets of syllables and sounds in rapid succession. The pay off is when Thug croaks out: “Money stand like 8 feet, just like 2 midgets.”

If DOOM said that shyt you’d praise the metal-faced god for his grammatical genius. But he didn’t.

Thugga yelled that absurdly clever shyt and it’s all you need to understand that there’s more going on in that prickly-pierced bleached goblin man than meets the eye. Depending on what side of the spectrum you fall. This is probably a good time to use what I call the “Sadat X Factor.” The Sadat X factor is a system I created to tell whether someone hates someone’s voice or hates the way they rap. Think about it. No one is indecisive about Sadat X. Old heads either love Sadat’s voice or they hate it. But, the beauty of the system is that you can’t say he is trash. You are forced to pick one. Does his voice bother the shyt out of you or do you have issues with his bars? Cause only one of those things can be trash. Is Young Thug actual trash or do you not like his voice?

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_Dipset-Ed-Hardy.jpg
5. All these rappers dress the same.
True. So true guys. You got me. These fashion rappers are dressing up exactly the same which means our generation was vastly superior. EXCEPT…this has happened since the beginning of rap and you have the memory capacity of a floppy disk, dawgie. In the early ’80s they were dressing like P Funk. Mid ’80s it was truck jewels, Cazals, track suits. ’90s: military wear, boots, hoodies, Carhartt, then the jiggy era, then the tall tee era and let’s not forget that Dipset, arguably one of the most fashionable groups of all time, wore the shyt out of Ed Hardy. Jones even started some diet Affliction t-shirt line that was so bad. Trends are trends. Nothing is new and it wasn’t better back then. You just were younger and didn’t have a credit score to worry about.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_cassettes.jpg
6. Everybody just makes mixtapes. They can’t make an actual LP.
First off, music is 100% free. You pay no money. Truly think about that fact before you complain. You never have to pay for an album ever again. How quickly the old heads forget the infamous day of disappointment when we were all promised that Canibus was Rakim reincarnated. We rushed out to get that whack ass Can-I-Bus album. We no longer have to blindly purchase an album ever again. They give away all the music at an unprecedented level. Imagine if your favorite ’90s rapper had produced as much material in their prime as some of these new cats. That whole era would be vastly different.

Youre_Not-An_Old-Head_Youre-Just_Old_MA_GustoCB4.jpg
7. All these new rappers are fake.
Spoiler Alert: almost all rappers are fake. Requiring a rapper to be an actual criminal is absurd. Saying rappers are fake is not an original revelation. Chris Rock made CB4knowing most rappers were faking the funk. The film was released in 1993 aka 23 years ago. This isn’t a new point. And it is not good one either. Wu-Tang Clan wasn’t from Shaolin and Lil Turnt Knife most likely did not sell bricks of cocaine. Also, selling cocaine is not a good thing. Music is still allowed to be escapism. It does not have to be literal. And more often than not, those that talk bout that life reap the consequences from it, in one form or another.

You're Not An Old Head, You're Just Old
Cac writer

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I don't see anyone saying this. What the younger should do like the generation before it pay homage or at least acknowledge that generation paved the way before you so you can have a lane in this hip hop world. But when you're straight up disrespectful like Vince Staples & Uzi don't complain when you get the backlash & get $hitted on

young generation shouldnt do shyt imo...its about right now...nikkas about flight...planes dont come equipped with rearview mirrors...

fukk yesteryear

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Low key this is a powerful post....

Doods in their 30s getting their rocking chair, back in my day on is always so embarrassing. Muhfukkas want to be old souls so bad all over this thread.
these lil nikkas dont owe nobody shyt...

old nikkas shytted on the nikkas in the 80s..

80s nikkas shytted on the 90s...

90s nikkas shytted on the 00's

its funny cube n snoop nem..pushin 50...wearing a grill..

when ice t tried pickin on souljah boy...souljah boy handled that shyt how it should have been..nikka wasnt thinkin bout no ice t...but he did tell him he is the forefather of his nuts...end of convo right there..

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
i was born in 86..i started listening to rap in 96...i wasnt fukking with no Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Run DMC, LL Cool J shyt..even the early 90s was hard for me to get into and by the time I went back it was too late to legitimately get into all that..my tastes were set, I fukked with what I fukked with

these nikkas were born in the late 90s..pushin the 90s on them while telling them they're trash is only making them defensive which is way they talking down. nikkas talkin bout homage...they do pay homage...to nikkas THEY came up on..50, Gucci, Jeezy, Wayne, Tip..every interview I see one of these young NY rappers talk about Get Rich or Die Trying made them wanna rap. Let these lil nikkas cook.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
i was born in 86..i started listening to rap in 96...i wasnt fukking with no Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Run DMC, LL Cool J shyt..even the early 90s was hard for me to get into and by the time I went back it was too late to legitimately get into all that..my tastes were set, I fukked with what I fukked with

these nikkas were born in the late 90s..pushin the 90s on them while telling them they're trash is only making them defensive which is way they talking down. nikkas talkin bout homage...they do pay homage...to nikkas THEY came up on..50, Gucci, Jeezy, Wayne, Tip..every interview I see one of these young NY rappers talk about Get Rich or Die Trying made them wanna rap. Let these lil nikkas cook.

i got a similar come up from getting into the genre, i was born in 88 and started to listen to Pac back in 97. then got into Big Pun, Ruff Ryders and whoever they affiliated with with in 99. after that it was Em, Dr. Dre and the list grew from there. that's why i appreciate the classics more than ever before. alot of these new guys haven't even listened to a verse from Kool G Rap or a Big Daddy Kane, they are not from that cloth when it comes to rap music.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
nikkas talkin bout homage...they do pay homage...to nikkas THEY came up on..50, Gucci, Jeezy, Wayne, Tip..every interview I see one of these young NY rappers talk about Get Rich or Die Trying made them wanna rap. Let these lil nikkas cook.

That would be like me being a successful current boxer & not paying homage to Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Roy Jones Jr. Sugar Ray Leonard, & Mike Tyson because "they're not from my era". It's not sound reasoning at all sounds ridiculous reading/typing it out & saying it out loud.

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
That would be like me being a successful current boxer & not paying homage to Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Roy Jones Jr. Sugar Ray Leonard, & Mike Tyson because "they're not from my era". It's not sound reasoning at all sounds ridiculous reading/typing it out & saying it out loud.
no its not...music is subjective..it aint even about eras..what if i just flat out dont fukk with Pac?..i gotta pay homage cause you told me to?

people fukk with what they fukk with

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
Young nikka here, my biggest problem with this generation is that the artistry simply ain't there. These nikkas are rapping just because its cool to be a rapper, it makes money ect. Like, the only popular nikka that is amazing is Kendrick. That literally one nikka. I think the problem is that everybody and they mommas are rappers now, it's just to accessible. All you need is a damn computer. The producers are the real stars of this generation.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
no its not...music is subjective..it aint even about eras..what if i just flat out dont fukk with Pac?..i gotta pay homage cause you told me to?

people fukk with what they fukk with

It is though fam. If you rap then Pac helped pave the way for bruhs like you to eat & support your family. So at the very least, yeah you should pay homage or acknowledge the older generation out of respect. I'm not saying you should fuk with his music if you don't like it though bro. Just respect the people that laid it down before you though.

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
It is though fam. If you rap then Pac helped pave the way for bruhs like you to eat & support your family. So at the very least, yeah you should pay homage or acknowledge the older generation out of respect. I'm not saying you should fuk with his music if you don't like it though bro. Just respect the people that laid it down before you though.

respect is a two street tho. when the older generation keeps shytting on you , its human nature to be like "well fukk yall too"..

look at the situation with Soulja Boy and Ice T...Ice T goes on a record and tells Soulja, a 17 year old on the come up, to eat a dikk...just for being him.
Soulja supposed to pay homage to a nikka like that?...and Soulja responded on some real shyt...if im fukking up, pull me to the side and give me the game..dont tell me to eat a dikk, you a 50 year old ass nikka

we cant expect these kids to just know they history..they know what we show them..if we keep showing them disrespect, they gone reply with disrespect..

we also cant expect them to love what we loved.. Pac probably sound to them like Run DMC sounded to me in 96.

Okay, Run paved the way. Respect.

If you expecting me to listen to his shyt or cyse him in interviews :francis:,im not gone do that...

ima cyse Nolimit, UGK, 8BALL and MJG, Swisha House, JayZ, DMX...cause thats what I came up on.

and if you wanna shyt on my era and act like yours shyts gold, im probably gonna get defensive and take shots back.

thats all this is