Old School vs New School beef is brewing

L@CaT

For Hire Gunslinger!
Daps
Thank the Lord for all the L.A. Based rappers bringing the heat.

And Chance the Rapper. I really feel like Chance and Anderson Paak are the next evolution :obama:

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
by large if the young cats feel they should dictate what this genre of music is supposed to sound like they have ervery right to do so.But the whole old nikkas argument is stupid to me.Pac,Nas,Big,Rakim,BDK,GFK and so on have made some of their best work in their early/mid 20's,thats facts and all the name calling and trolling will not change the fact that the quality of music has taken a sharp decline.Artists in that same age bracket now shows you that there is more going on than just an generation gap,relevance is now more inportant than actual talent and we know how that go .I cant't fukk with a overall lack of maturity and sub par material being sold to the masses as new shyt while we all understand that the same rules apply as far as longevity and having a sustainable career you will have to appeal to a broad range of people or mature enough to grow up with your fanbase which is very difficult to sustain.Simple fact is that most of the artists using that "i'm young and you old nikkas don't uderstand hip hop anymore" is a cop out.If your fanbase can relate to you now based off that argument you lost already.By the time most of your fans hit mid 20's and early 30's you will be trying to play catch up with the next 17/18 yr old saying the same thing about you.Paying attention and listening to those that paved the way can save you from making the same mistakes.I can garantuee that 2/3 of these ÿoung this and lil that artists will do all sorts of sucker shyt to remain relevant but the music will suffer for it.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
basically that.

You know what.... I got a challenge for these young, low standards-having ass newbies.

Can y'all name FIVE young execs/program directors/radio hosts/A&R's, etc.... that have immense power in this rap shyt? Not rappers. I mean people who run this shyt behind the scenes.

Y'all new dudes stay talking about "you don't get how [insert bum rapper] unlocks flows", meanwhile they're all slaves to Lyor Cohen who been into hip hop since Run DMC days. And he was a young adult back then.

How you gon let old people run hip hop in its entirety, then talk about how you're taking hip hop to new heights :mjlol: Your 2016 shyt is flabbier on arrival than Melle Mel's hit records.

Diddy/Master P/Lyor Cohen/Kevin Liles/Russell Simmons/Jermaine Dupri.... these guys were kids/young adults taking care of multi-million dollar acts and taking hip hop to the next level.

Look at this list from 2013 and count how many young cats you see here:
The 25 Most Powerful People in Rap (Right Now)

New dudes, step your fukking game up. You're making woat music and getting swindled in the process. If your heart is really into hip hop, then be about it. Don't just mumble bout it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
EXCELLENT POINT. You don't hear any of these new dudes diss any of the guys you mentioned. Those are their OGs, so to speak.
I wanted to make a point, but my point is actually irrelevant unless someone can prove you wrong.

I'm an old head, I really started gravitating to hip-hop with KRS/Ultramag/De La Soul/Public Enemy/NWA/Rakim/Kane/G Rap, etc.

But if you were to put on a Kurtis Blow, Spoonie Gee or even Whodini instrumental for a freestyle session, A teenage me would have turned my nose up at you like you were smoking woolies...

Truthfully I don't even mess with Run DMC like that, I think a lot of their music is really corny. That's a sacrilegious opinion for someone who was obsessed with hip-hop by 1987/1988.

I have some respect for those dudes, but most of the music from that era does nothing for me. Long story short, I bet a lot of old heads forgot how they carried themselves when they were young.

You black and over 35? :patrice:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Something similar happened out here in LA a few years back before the city got back on top....

Tons of Westcoast rappers including guys like Nipsey Hussle, Glasses Malone, YG, and others were pushing back a bit on the Ice Cube's and Dre's because they still wanted everything to go through them. The old heads wanted the money, power, and respect just because. Between the old 90s westcoast rappers and power106, they wanted to keep things the same as it had been. Like you need a Dre beat or a Cube hook or a Snoop Dogg izzle dizzle verse. When newer MCs basically said fukk you, we will do what we want with or with out you, is when LAs newer sound developed and the music got better.

So young rappers pushing back on 90s rappers isn't a bad thing if you ask me.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The young gen does pay homage and respect the older gen.. what they consider the older gen they were influenced by..

I don't see how Yachty saying he doesn't know Pac & BIG songs is disrespectful more than it is ignorant but whatever

Its a black thing.... but over time, shyt has changed.... coming up in the 80s, what was hot to a 40 year old was felt by a 25 year old, and in turn, was emulated by a 7 year old.... Quite frankly, all age groups in the black community from 5 to 45 pretty much rocked to the same shyt for the most part...... So yeah, while growing up on Boyz to Men and Jodeci when I was coming up, we still knew a most of the biggest hits from the Isleys, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Parliament, etc...... and we had a high respect for the music......... it was nothing to for an 18 year old in 96 to have IWW and Reasonable Doubt in his CD Changer, but could also rap the words to Kurtis Blow's Basketball, Step Off, or LL's I need a beat, or UTFO's Roxanne Roxanne, or Run DMC's Rock Box(all from the early 80s).... etc, etc.....

shyt just different now...... and I don't know if its necessarily a bad thing, but its definitely not a good thing....

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Something similar happened out here in LA a few years back before the city got back on top....

Tons of Westcoast rappers including guys like Nipsey Hussle, Glasses Malone, YG, and others were pushing back a bit on the Ice Cube's and Dre's because they still wanted everything to go through them. The old heads wanted the money, power, and respect just because. Between the old 90s westcoast rappers and power106, they wanted to keep things the same as it had been. Like you need a Dre beat or a Cube hook or a Snoop Dogg izzle dizzle verse. When newer MCs basically said fukk you, we will do what we want with or with out you, is when LAs newer sound developed and the music got better.

So young rappers pushing back on 90s rappers isn't a bad thing if you ask me.

that's kind of what i was saying, the young cats in the west just said fukk it and made dope music and it popped by itself. these other new rappers now just cry about it "don't give me no old beats i'm a rockstar bro" no you're fukkin not, you're a wannabe c*nt who has some fans.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
that's kind of what i was saying, the young cats in the west just said fukk it and made dope music and it popped by itself. these other new rappers now just cry about it "don't give me no old beats i'm a rockstar bro" no you're fukkin not, you're a wannabe c*nt who has some fans.

I am not giving all these new rappers a pass but older heads can't tell them how to act or what to rap about. They also don't have to 'pay homage' by getting any of them on a song or sampling their music. That is Macklemore levels of gimmicks and always sounds forced. Also some of these guys are trolling. These are kids who grew up on the Internet, they know how this works. Most of them blew up in the first place baiting people online and working the web.

Ice Cube took shots at Jay Rock and Nipsey. They told him to shut the fukk up and did them. You are talking about two young gangsta rappers shytting on the living embodiment of westcoast gangsta rap. Everything turned out real fine and no one was up in arms about it. Sometimes old heads (myself included) need to just shut the fukk up and enjoy our time, let the young kids enjoy theirs. All the music isn't for us.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
You coli dudes need to think back to when you were 18 (I kno that's gonna be long time for a lot you nikkas :wow: )

But would u rather hear a 18 -22 year old Nas n Snoop rapping bout street shyt.

Or a 30+ year old BDK or Krs?

Would you rather hear a young funk flex spinning at the tunnel?

Or go to a Dj Kool Herc Sunday BBQ?

I honestly just get so tired goin on the Internet nowadays and try to discuss new hip hop with old ppl. That's why YouTube n soundcloud n ppl like Akademiks have boomed lately, seems like all the young nikkas just discuss it there.

The thing about the bolded is that they were all skilled regardless of age, and capable of making songs both show-casing skill and radio appeal. These current dudes are flat out remedial, and couldn't showcase anything past being remedial if their lives depended on it. For every Dave East, Kendrick Lamar, and J.Cole (I'm just naming accessible people), you have an entire wasteland of Young Thug, Lil' Yachty, Uzi Vert type rappers who should never be near a booth. Hell, Lil' Yachty has a crew of like 9 guys and a chick who are fukking terrible :mjlol::mjlol:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
seeing nikkas talk down on the youth and tell them that they should be bowing down to the 90s is comedy and embarrassing....

I don't see anyone saying this. What the younger should do like the generation before it pay homage or at least acknowledge that generation paved the way before you so you can have a lane in this hip hop world. But when you're straight up disrespectful like Vince Staples & Uzi don't complain when you get the backlash & get $hitted on

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Old heads still wanna dictate things like gatekeepers of the culture and that stops being an effective way of going about it after a while.

I went thru it with my old heads when they'd tell me all the music I grew up listening to was garbage/noise. (90's West Coast gangsta rap)

I refuse to do that to my nephews etc because I remember how irritating that shyt was being constantly told my clothes are too this or that, gangsta rap is a fad, how can you listen to negativity, killing, shooting bytches and hoes etc. from OG's who grew up in the south on top of it.

Nah. ..

I am one of a few who know my place in hip hop as an older head who has only ever known hip-hop culture as mine. I don't need to try to be a tastemaker, that's not my spot anymore and I'm ok with it.

I keep an open mind and an open ear to what's going on. If it ain't my speed I don't speak on it. I just keep it moving to the next song or artist.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
only in hip hop you got younger cats disrespecting older MC's, you don't see this in Rock, Country Music, Pop, and R&B. and this is why the genre is headed towards the shytter. i'm a old head so i'm forever gonna rock out to the old shyt.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Its a black thing.... but over time, shyt has changed.... coming up in the 80s, what was hot to a 40 year old was felt by a 25 year old, and in turn, was emulated by a 7 year old.... Quite frankly, all age groups in the black community from 5 to 45 pretty much rocked to the same shyt for the most part...... So yeah, while growing up on Boyz to Men and Jodeci when I was coming up, we still knew a most of the biggest hits from the Isleys, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Parliament, etc...... and we had a high respect for the music......... it was nothing to for an 18 year old in 96 to have IWW and Reasonable Doubt in his CD Changer, but could also rap the words to Kurtis Blow's Basketball, Step Off, or LL's I need a beat, or UTFO's Roxanne Roxanne, or Run DMC's Rock Box(all from the early 80s).... etc, etc.....

shyt just different now...... and I don't know if its necessarily a bad thing, but its definitely not a good thing....

It's just different now. As a kid, I grew up listening to my parents' music: James Brown, Bob Marley, etc. My parents were also up on the new shyt like Michael Jackson, Mary J Blige, Boyz II Men, MC Hammer....

Music in general has started skewing real young. Probably starting with the boy bands and girl groups, who were straight up tween focused. As a kid, I wanted to be grown. Listening to stuff that seemed kiddie was corny as fukk to me.

You got kids now growing up listening to kiddie shyt almost exclusively

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
this wouldnt be a big deal if lil yachty wasn't so TRASH...dudes with talent like young thug can get away with being disrespectful but lil yachty? nah thats just crazy

:russ::mjlol: @ dissing 1 trash rappers and saying the other trash rappers is talented. You just like the beats fam, London and those other producers continue to do charity.