Oh they WILDIN on BET+

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gonna give it a watch.

I think because we've dealt with the worst stereotypes in TV/Film for years there's a tendency now for Black writers to overcompensate and only show the best and brightest of Black folks and they end up feeling like symbols rather than real people. There are ways to create authentic non-PC characters while making them nuanced and interesting. I have no idea if this show fits that mold but I'll give it a chance.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
That just depressed me a little bit.

Used to be a time when parents would slap the taste out of a young breh's mouth for calling somebody else nikka, let alone using it on their kids.

My parents didnt play with the N word when I was growing up, back in the 90s and early 00s. That would automatically be a 1 month grounding, and my favorite gaming system taken away with the quickness.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Im more intrigued by the fact people know this exist because they pay for Bet+ service :dwillhuh:
It’s actually a solid tier streaming service. I don’t have regrets paying for it.

This show is funny, they’ve got a winner here

For general commentary: a lot of it is based of Ms. Pat’s life so it doesn’t have to be everyone black person’s experience. It’s her experience. No one talked about how Friends or Seinfeld or Home Improvement didn’t depict every white person’s experience. Or We only do this to our own shows :mjpls:

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
I typically like shows that are "realistic" to certain aspects of our culture but this wasn't well executed imo. Plus, most people are waking up and realizing how TOXIC this form of parenting is. Yes it happened to many of us but still doesn't "normalize" that behavior.
This. A for effort but C- execution. The vulgarity was gratuitous, the acting not very good, and the white people jokes were very dated. I appreciate the topics some of episodes tried tackling, but the writing is not sophisticated enough to pull it off.

Plus, the laugh track is off putting and clashes with some of the more dramatic moments of the series.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Love how this suppose to be an authentic black show where profanity and N-words are thrown around and no one blinks.

But suddenly the music stops and everyone grabs their pearl's on the show once the word bull dagger is used...:mjlol:

Get the entire fukk out of here hollyweird..:mjlol:

that too. That whole episode was corny and unrealistic