Official Wu-Tang: An American Saga Season 1 Thread

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Was New York nikkas really watching Kung fu like that .. shyt weird lol

there was a weekly show ‘saturday afternoon special’ or ‘saturday afternoon drive-in’ I think it was called... @ 3PM they’d show karate or kung fu flicks...and a lot of folks watched them...there was a time in our neighborhood when nunchucks and ninja stars were as popular as water guns...this was in the late 80s

*edit*

it was just called “drive-in movie” but it showed on saturdays...if it was a rainy day or you was inside for w/e you’d just watch it...later on the DVDs would sell cuz they were cheap as hell...I used to sell them in my shop (in the early 00s)...easy markup...way before that tho (in the mid/late 90s) I remember in kings plaza (mall in brooklyn) there were a couple of kiosks that sold karate or kung fu DVDs...that was after the success of the wu...I think it’s safe to say they were responsible for a resurgence in the popularity of those types of movies in the hood...but the interest in these movies definitely existed prior to that tho

Drive-In Movie on WNEW Metromedia Channel 5

Last edited:

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
there was a weekly show ‘saturday afternoon special’ or ‘saturday afternoon drive-in’ I think it was called... @ 3PM they’d show karate or kung fu flicks...and a lot of folks watched them...there was a time in our neighborhood when nunchucks and ninja stars were as popular as water guns

*edit*

it was just called “drive-in movie” but it showed on saturdays...if it was a rainy day or you was inside for w/e you’d just watch it...later on the DVDs would sell cuz they were cheap as hell...I used to sell them in my shop...easy markup

Lol damn that’s crazy .. props in the info b

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
there was a weekly show ‘saturday afternoon special’ or ‘saturday afternoon drive-in’ I think it was called... @ 3PM they’d show karate or kung fu flicks...and a lot of folks watched them...there was a time in our neighborhood when nunchucks and ninja stars were as popular as water guns...this was in the late 80s

*edit*

it was just called “drive-in movie” but it showed on saturdays...if it was a rainy day or you was inside for w/e you’d just watch it...later on the DVDs would sell cuz they were cheap as hell...I used to sell them in my shop (in the early 00s)...easy markup...way before that tho (in the mid/late 90s) I remember in kings plaza (mall in brooklyn) there were a couple of kiosks that sold karate or kung fu DVDs...that was after the success of the wu...I think it’s safe to say they were responsible for a resurgence in the popularity of those types of movies in the hood...but the interest in these movies definitely existed prior to that tho

hell those flicks reached up to my part of CT...memories

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
they were worst than turrible .... i dont even think they really tried to clear them for anybody.. whoever was easy they did.. if it required work they didnt and said they did and if they think nobody could tell they said f it.
What's crazy is that Tom Silverman is part of a sample service now.

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps

*edit*

nikkas period watched kung fu flicks, not just NY
Some of my nikkas still watch them shyts now.

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
WZA's verse on 7th Chamber
full
Y'all way too hard on Moonlight breh.
Pause.

:lolbron:

No cap, I think he doing his thing with the role

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
nikkas period watched kung fu flicks, not just NY
Some of my nikkas still watch them shyts now.

:mjlol: everybody I know grew up watching them shyts. Even in the deep deep deep south

:heh: was a saturday staple like cartoons and wrestling. Having fake karate fights and not knowing what a dubbed movie was

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Was New York nikkas really watching Kung fu like that .. shyt weird lol

*edit*

hell those flicks reached up to my part of CT...memories

Tai Chi Master

:ufdup:

You must be 11.

:mjlol: everybody I know grew up watching them shyts. Even in the deep deep deep south

:heh: was a saturday staple like cartoons and wrestling. Having fake karate fights and not knowing what a dubbed movie was

Yes, I thought EVERYONE grew up watching Kungfu flicks.

But in all fairness, that must be an 80s baby’s thing. If you ain’t grow up in the era of Kung Fu flicks on you have to be young:russ:

I live in the south and we watched them.

El Rey has brought it back though

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

But in all fairness, that must be an 80s baby’s thing. If you ain’t grow up in the era of Kung Fu flicks on you have to be young:russ:

man that was what made the wu appeal to cats everywhere...back then w/o social media you would think that certain shyt was relegated to your city or in some instances only your neighborhood...but cats everywhere was able to fully appreciate that mesh of hip hop w/ kung fu

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yep. It was cartoons, Kung Fu and wrassling.