Official Wu-Tang: An American Saga Season 1 Thread

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
And all of that is valid. But the thing the wire did and game of thrones stopped doing, is telling a complete story in each episode. Yes there were larger stories that they alluded to and things that would come back later but David Simon knew to at least tell a single story in one episode and not have everything be set up. So even if a story beat or character was introduced, he did his best to make sure you cared about that development or person even if they didn’t pay off until later. You have to tell a story from point A to point B while also leaving open a larger story. Game of thrones became awful at that in the latter seasons. And Power is guilty of that same shyt way too much. While a show like the good place is fantastic at it. Last nights episode told a complete story in 22 min while not finishing the entire story.

Jerome works for me here because of Ms. Diggs. I care about her and this matters intensely to her therefore it matters to me. Chris McQuarrie talked about that regarding the mission impossible movies. When a certain character dies in fallout, ving rhames didn’t want to react with emotion because he said he’s only had like one or two lines of dialogue with this character; barely knows him. But McQuarrie explained to him that because Ethan cares, Luther cares because Luther cares for Ethan. So even if Luther isn’t sad about the loss he’s sad because of how it hurts his friend. And that’s why I cared about Jerome.

the goo d place is my new favorite show.. discovered it about a month ago.. binged on netflix and been hooked

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
And all of that is valid. But the thing the wire did and game of thrones stopped doing, is telling a complete story in each episode. Yes there were larger stories that they alluded to and things that would come back later but David Simon knew to at least tell a single story in one episode and not have everything be set up. So even if a story beat or character was introduced, he did his best to make sure you cared about that development or person even if they didn’t pay off until later. You have to tell a story from point A to point B while also leaving open a larger story. Game of thrones became awful at that in the latter seasons. And Power is guilty of that same shyt way too much. While a show like the good place is fantastic at it. Last nights episode told a complete story in 22 min while not finishing the entire story.

Jerome works for me here because of Ms. Diggs. I care about her and this matters intensely to her therefore it matters to me. Chris McQuarrie talked about that regarding the mission impossible movies. When a certain character dies in fallout, ving rhames didn’t want to react with emotion because he said he’s only had like one or two lines of dialogue with this character; barely knows him. But McQuarrie explained to him that because Ethan cares, Luther cares because Luther cares for Ethan. So even if Luther isn’t sad about the loss he’s sad because of how it hurts his friend. And that’s why I cared about Jerome.
I agree about the Jerome aspect and that's why to me personally I love what the show is doing. They have been laying building blocks to get to these important moments. If we didn't see the mom's struggles and everything going on with her then we wouldn't care about Jerome and it would just seem like some plot device to get them to move without us caring or knowing why she'd want to move. Same with Ghost and his family struggles and the relationship with the sister. As the show goes we have the foundation for Ghost and Rza falling out about him fukking the sister while also giving us a reason Ghost won't just give her up like that since she's been there for her.

I do understand those saying it could be tightened up, to me I love it. I don't mind a slower paced story that really adds meat to the story and all of its players.

I completely disagree about each episode of The Wire telling a story. The story just happened. There wasn't much overarching theme to most episodes. Hell just look at the episode summary for episode 2. Everything just progresses the overall story. I do agree on The Good Place though.

McNulty and Kima try to get some of the hoppers arrested during the pit raid to flip on their superiors. After punching Det. Patrick Mahone, Bodie receives a stern beating from the police. Waking up from his injuries in a Washington, D.C. juvenile detention facility, he manages to escape just as Herc and Carver arrive to interrogate him. Back in Baltimore, Avon discusses the loss of the pit's stash, and marks Omar and his crew for death, doubling the bounty when he learns Omar is homosexual, and fellow stick-up man Brandon Wright is his lover. As Stringer becomes concerned there may be a snitch in the pit, Burrell tries to appease Phelan, but the judge is unimpressed with the progress made thus far. Meanwhile, Freamon has a break-through regarding the crew's use of pagers, and, acting on a tip from Sgt. Jay Landsman, McNulty and Bunk investigate an old murder in which D'Angelo may have been involved.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I agree about the Jerome aspect and that's why to me personally I love what the show is doing. They have been laying building blocks to get to these important moments. If we didn't see the mom's struggles and everything going on with her then we wouldn't care about Jerome and it would just seem like some plot device to get them to move without us caring or knowing why she'd want to move. Same with Ghost and his family struggles and the relationship with the sister. As the show goes we have the foundation for Ghost and Rza falling out about him fukking the sister while also giving us a reason Ghost won't just give her up like that since she's been there for her.

I do understand those saying it could be tightened up, to me I love it. I don't mind a slower paced story that really adds meat to the story and all of its players.

I completely disagree about each episode of The Wire telling a story. The story just happened. There wasn't much overarching theme to most episodes. Hell just look at the episode summary for episode 2. Everything just progresses the overall story. I do agree on The Good Place though.

McNulty and Kima try to get some of the hoppers arrested during the pit raid to flip on their superiors. After punching Det. Patrick Mahone, Bodie receives a stern beating from the police. Waking up from his injuries in a Washington, D.C. juvenile detention facility, he manages to escape just as Herc and Carver arrive to interrogate him. Back in Baltimore, Avon discusses the loss of the pit's stash, and marks Omar and his crew for death, doubling the bounty when he learns Omar is homosexual, and fellow stick-up man Brandon Wright is his lover. As Stringer becomes concerned there may be a snitch in the pit, Burrell tries to appease Phelan, but the judge is unimpressed with the progress made thus far. Meanwhile, Freamon has a break-through regarding the crew's use of pagers, and, acting on a tip from Sgt. Jay Landsman, McNulty and Bunk investigate an old murder in which D'Angelo may have been involved.

that’s the larger story working out tho. I’m saying each episode had a set up and pay off for something. Even if it wasn’t something major. Something as simple as McNulty wants a wire so this episode brings him closer to getting that wire by piling more evidence into his lap. Rather than just saying he needs a wire and leaving that as the end of the sentence.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I wasnt huge into WU tang outside of a few songs, is it best to catch this show or the documentary on showtime first?

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
This week's episode was dope to me.

I really liked the pigeon flight connecting the scenes.

Joey Badass as The Rebel OCD :ohhh:

My favourite thing has been watching Rae walk around with that "Ni-nikkas bit offa Nas shyt :wtb:"energy any time someone is rhyming. When he started rhyming, shyt was like a stormcloud breaking.

The escalation after the old lady called the cops :francis::snoop:

I clocked that the cop was Officer Brown when he first showed up. Haze was Kase :mjcry:

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
The old lady snitched, but fukk it. You know it’s its one love kid, no I’m not doing a bid.

:mjlit:

Camron in an old interview once said it’s only snitching if you’re part of “the game” and doing foul shyt too.

If you just average civilian. You ain’t snitching :mjgrin: