Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
U god is the one working for the Jamaican drug dealer

May have already been said but no.

it....Bul "Haze" is definitely the Uey stand-in

Lol. No.

On the real....so what man? :unimpressed:

We aint hear nary one of them heffas on 36 Chambers so they aint all that important to most.

You want to know how the WU was created... then you have no choice to learn RZA's story because it's all is based on the events that happened to him and his family. Why talk about most of the others who weren't even feeling like rapping at that point with the exception of Method Man?

You’re both right. It needs to show RZA’s backstory but they can definitely speed this shyt up. Why do we care about Jerome and these issues with the Italians? I’m sure it’s important to RZA but to Wu fans and casuals it’s shyt that is just taking up valuable screen time.

I love the show but for it to have a weeklong wait it moves too slow

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This was an interesting episode. Real lyrical and I don’t mean the rhymes lol. Just the direction of it and the pigeon going for the “birds eye view” of shaolin.

I like the theme of unity that went through the episode and learning to fight for something bigger than you. Every main character found something bigger than them. For RZA, it’s his family. For divine, meth, Rae and deck, it’s seeing Haze (Case) killed by officer brown. For Dennis, it’s Shurrie and for Ms Diggs, it’s Jerome. Thematically it all works to show how staten needs to stop the bullshyt amongst themselves and find a common cause to fight for and against. That’s the music.
Beautifully said

Hands down the best bio pic I’ve ever watched and this is only season 1

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
May have already been said but no.

Lol. No.

You’re both right. It needs to show RZA’s backstory but they can definitely speed this shyt up. Why do we care about Jerome and these issues with the Italians? I’m sure it’s important to RZA but to Wu fans and casuals it’s shyt that is just taking up valuable screen time.

I love the show but for it to have a weeklong wait it moves too slow

"jerome" is how they get to ohio.. ohio is the charge. dennis getting shot. bobby getting arrested. bobby's acquittal, bobby becoming the rza and ultimately Bobby sayin f that and scooping up the brothers to form the clan and the rest history

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
"jerome" is how they get to ohio.. ohio is the charge. dennis getting shot. bobby getting arrested. bobby's acquittal, bobby becoming the rza and ultimately Bobby sayin f that and scooping up the brothers to form the clan and the rest history
But you didn’t answer his question. See again you’re saying “well this is how this happens in history so this is why it’s important” rather than having the show tell you why it’s important or make you care about that character.

It worked for me but his question is valid and I could see someone not giving a fukk

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
But you didn’t answer his question. See again you’re saying “well this is how this happens in history so this is why it’s important” rather than having the show tell you why it’s important or make you care about that character.

It worked for me but his question is valid and I could see someone not giving a fukk

Guess I'm getting old. I know everything in life is history and builds your character good or bad to where you are today.
It's like that showbiz song . he walks with 3 people with him at all times, the person he was, the person his is and the person he wants to be..

Jerome will matter at some point, so will Fat Larry..
Hell ... Haze didnt mean much to RZA really, he was Divine's man.

We can only hope the show will tell us at some point. Guess the weekly format is hurting people digest the show. each episode is apart of an overall bigger arc so hopefully everything will pay off

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Guess I'm getting old. I know everything in life is history and builds your character good or bad to where you are today.
It's like that showbiz song . he walks with 3 people with him at all times, the person he was, the person his is and the person he wants to be..

Jerome will matter at some point, so will Fat Larry..
Hell ... Haze didnt mean much to RZA really, he was Divine's man.

We can only hope the show will tell us at some point. Guess the weekly format is hurting people digest the show. each episode is apart of an overall bigger arc so hopefully everything will pay off
No but I get what you’re saying. The point is tho a show needs to explain to you why you should care about someone. Not everyone watching the show knows the story. You can’t write it for the people who know everything. Gotta write it for someone who has no clue who any of these people are. And the show doesn’t always do a great job at giving reasons why the audience should care about anyone who isn’t a wu member. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad show, just means it needs to refine that in season 2 if they get a season 2.

And because the show is a weekly format, that writing and that method has to be airtight. Every episode needs to have setup and payoff. This episode had that. But there are other episodes, specifically all that I got is you, which doesn’t do it the best. But since all of these people essentially made wu into what they’d become, one way or another, the show has to do the work to make an audience member give a shyt. That’s the difference between a bad biopic and a good one. Hitting sign posts just because you have to hit them is a bad move.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
No but I get what you’re saying. The point is tho a show needs to explain to you why you should care about someone. Not everyone watching the show knows the story. You can’t write it for the people who know everything. Gotta write it for someone who has no clue who any of these people are. And the show doesn’t always do a great job at giving reasons why the audience should care about anyone who isn’t a wu member. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad show, just means it needs to refine that in season 2 if they get a season 2.

And because the show is a weekly format, that writing and that method has to be airtight. Every episode needs to have setup and payoff. This episode had that. But there are other episodes, specifically all that I got is you, which doesn’t do it the best. But since all of these people essentially made wu into what they’d become, one way or another, the show has to do the work to make an audience member give a shyt. That’s the difference between a bad biopic and a good one. Hitting sign posts just because you have to hit them is a bad move.
Me personally I'm judging the show as a TV drama and not on the basis of a biopic that goes from point A to point B. To me this show is using the storytelling method similar to how The Wire or Game of Thrones was. Those shows didn't cater to each episode being its own standalone episode or the typical weekly procedural where each episode is it's own story. They would show you these different scenes that largely seemed meaningless but as the season would move along you'd see all the pieces coming together and by the end of the season you'd see why all of those early scenes were there.

I think people are just too damn impatient and want everything laid out for them on a silver platter instead of trusting the show to bring it all together which this one is starting to. Like I said before all those scenes with Bobby's family and these random dudes are all important to the Ohio move. No point in following most of the clan members right now if they're not in the "Wu-Tang" picture yet. If the history is believed of Rza being the one to get them serious about rapping and off the streets we need his story and how he got to the point of pulling the others in.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Me personally I'm judging the show as a TV drama and not on the basis of a biopic that goes from point A to point B. To me this show is using the storytelling method similar to how The Wire or Game of Thrones was. Those shows didn't cater to each episode being its own standalone episode or the typical weekly procedural where each episode is it's own story. They would show you these different scenes that largely seemed meaningless but as the season would move along you'd see all the pieces coming together and by the end of the season you'd see why all of those early scenes were there.

I think people are just too damn impatient and want everything laid out for them on a silver platter instead of trusting the show to bring it all together which this one is starting to. Like I said before all those scenes with Bobby's family and these random dudes are all important to the Ohio move. No point in following most of the clan members right now if they're not in the "Wu-Tang" picture yet. If the history is believed of Rza being the one to get them serious about rapping and off the streets we need his story and how he got to the point of pulling the others in.
And all of that is valid. But the thing the wire did and game of thrones stopped doing, is telling a complete story in each episode. Yes there were larger stories that they alluded to and things that would come back later but David Simon knew to at least tell a single story in one episode and not have everything be set up. So even if a story beat or character was introduced, he did his best to make sure you cared about that development or person even if they didn’t pay off until later. You have to tell a story from point A to point B while also leaving open a larger story. Game of thrones became awful at that in the latter seasons. And Power is guilty of that same shyt way too much. While a show like the good place is fantastic at it. Last nights episode told a complete story in 22 min while not finishing the entire story.

Jerome works for me here because of Ms. Diggs. I care about her and this matters intensely to her therefore it matters to me. Chris McQuarrie talked about that regarding the mission impossible movies. When a certain character dies in fallout, ving rhames didn’t want to react with emotion because he said he’s only had like one or two lines of dialogue with this character; barely knows him. But McQuarrie explained to him that because Ethan cares, Luther cares because Luther cares for Ethan. So even if Luther isn’t sad about the loss he’s sad because of how it hurts his friend. And that’s why I cared about Jerome.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps

For the record I agree with this. I’m just saying it needs to be more tight.