Official WONDER WOMAN Thread

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As has been mentioned, some of the CGI is shaky, they overuse the slow mo and there are a few plot holes but overall I enjoyed it. Had a really good mix of comedy, action and romance and it was surprisingly deep when it went into the nature of war/mankind etc. Also didn't think the villains were nearly as bad as people were saying they were.

Chris Pine was great, Gal was a little shaky in a few scenes but overall she did a good job. I agree DC played this one safe but it was appropriately safe for the character. Ya'll can't have it both ways. Either comic book movies take risks and reimagine the source material/character or they stay true to the character's essence. I'm not trying to watch a movie about a dark and gritty Wonder Woman who bytches and moans about saving people. Sometimes its refreshing to see an optimistic hero who actually wants to save people. The central conflict came from the fact that her optimism was constantly tested by the wartime setting and the nature of mankind. Her ability to hold onto that hope and optimism in spite of everything she was exposed to was what made her heroic. And I think if the DCEU had done the same thing with Man of Steel it would've gotten a better reception.

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
Got to see this from myself. Can't tell if it's genuinely a good flick or if no ones wants to give it a bad review...

me too, I'm kinda wondering if it's getting that feminist bump :francis:

I'm also interested in seeing how the media and reviewers treat this in comparison to Black Panther when it comes out.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
me too, I'm kinda wondering if it's getting that feminist bump :francis:

I'm also interested in seeing how the media and reviewers treat this in comparison to Black Panther when it comes out.

I think it's deserving of the good reviews. Ya'll gotta remember, a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes just means that 94% of the critics believe the movie is at least good, doesn't necessarily mean it's a masterpiece.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Wonder Woman is the first female superhero movie that's gotten good reviews. Catwoman and Elektra were among the worst reviewed movies of all time so it's not simply a "let's hype it up because she's a female superhero" type thing

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Got a friend that lives in L.A. and is kind of a movie snob/aficionado who looks down on superhero movies. Even he is giving this one props. Says it's got kind of an Indiana Jones adventure vibe to it. :leon:

Supposed to see this next weekend with my girl, but I might sneak off tomorrow and try to watch this alone. :lolbron:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I think it's deserving of the good reviews. Ya'll gotta remember, a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes just means that 94% of the critics believe the movie is at least good, doesn't necessarily mean it's a masterpiece.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Wonder Woman is the first female superhero movie that's gotten good reviews. Catwoman and Elektra were among the worst reviewed movies of all time so it's not simply a "let's hype it up because she's a female superhero" type thing

But maybe it's getting "it's good for a female superhero" type of praise. I feel like they graded this movie on a curve.Trying to put a male in the lead role and see if you think differently about this movie. Also when have we ever seen someone with Wonder's Woman's powers fighting regular people? Like why are the rules different for a movie about a woman here. It's annoying.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But maybe it's getting "it's good for a female superhero" type of praise. I feel like they graded this movie on a curve.Trying to put a male in the lead role and see if you think differently about this movie. Also when have we ever seen someone with Wonder's Woman's powers fighting regular people? Like why are the rules different for a movie about a woman here. It's annoying.

Nah, I don't think so. If there's any curve going on here it's how it compared to other DCEU movies because it's easily better than Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad. So yes, maybe some reviewers are hyping it up because it's the first legitimately good and well-structured DCEU movie

But to me it was a good movie period. Very good balance of drama, action, comedy, good character development in terms of Diana learning more about the world, and the development of her relationship with Steve was done well enough to the point in which the emotional payoff at the end felt earned. Movie was solid

As for your point about the inconsistencies in her powers, yeah that was a little shaky and confusing. I don't know enough about the original comic book character to really speak on that but

Her going ape shyt on Ares at the end could've been her just realizing her true power as a Demi-Goddess which she had been holding back throughout the film because she didn't know her true origin. Notice how it came out briefly when she was training and her aunt was going in on her. But again, since I'm not too familiar with the OG comic book character, I could be wrong. Still, that wasn't enough to take away my enjoyment of the movie. Nearly every comic book movie has gaps in logic and power inconsistencies

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm confused lol. So for the past few years cats have rightly railed at dc for some choices they've made or not made in how they handle their flicks. And someone or a couple people even said they need a critically acclaimed flick to balance the ship out. Haven't seen it yet, but @Prodigal Syndicate says they let patty jenkins make the movie she wanted without interference or fukkery. And now it's a problem it's critically acclaimed or there's underlying reasons as to why critics are receptive to it? Can't win with y'all :russ: Every single thing is a fukking conspiracy on this site. And everything is about "the agenda" whatever that agenda may be in a given moment:deadmanny:. When everything's a conspiracy or an agenda, nothing is. This is like the hard core star trek fans getting their panties in a bunch because JJ's first flick was mainstream and a mass audience liked it. There were cats actually outraged at the fact it was critically acclaimed and made a lot of money. This is no different.

Like @Drew Wonder said a 94% doesn't mean every critic who liked it thinks it's a perfect film. It just means they liked it. Some liked it more than others some liked it less. But again at the end of the day that's their opinion. If you disagree it doesn't make their opinion any less valid.

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Nah, I don't think so. If there's any curve going on here it's how it compared to other DCEU movies because it's easily better than Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad. So yes, maybe some reviewers are hyping it up because it's the first legitimately good and well-structured DCEU movie

But to me it was a good movie period. Very good balance of drama, action, comedy, good character development in terms of Diana learning more about the world, and the development of her relationship with Steve was done well enough to the point in which the emotional payoff at the end felt earned. Movie was solid

As for your point about the inconsistencies in her powers, yeah that was a little shaky and confusing. I don't know enough about the original comic book character to really speak on that but

Her going ape shyt on Ares at the end could've been her just realizing her true power as a Demi-Goddess which she had been holding back throughout the film because she didn't know her true origin. Notice how it came out briefly when she was training and her aunt was going in on her. But again, since I'm not too familiar with the OG comic book character, I could be wrong. Still, that wasn't enough to take away my enjoyment of the movie. Nearly every comic book movie has gaps in logic and power inconsistencies

That makes sense. Maybe you're right about the DCEU curve. It may have nothing to do with gender. I hope that's the case. As for what you wrote in the spoilers, I like that theory. It makes the whole thing more plausible, like maybe she was holding back when fighting regular men.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That makes sense. Maybe you're right about the DCEU curve. It may have nothing to do with gender. I hope that's the case. As for what you wrote in the spoilers, I like that theory. It makes the whole thing more plausible, like maybe she was holding back when fighting regular men.
Also remember, even though she was fighting the Germans she still believed they were inherently good men who were under Ares' control. So that could've played a part as well. I also think it could be similar to how Superman in the comics rarely unleashes his true power unless he's pissed off or facing a powerful opponent

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG

feminism and the pandering that have come with it weren't as mainstream back then

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Funniest parts of the movie were Steve's reactions whenever Diana said some crazy shyt about the Amazons and Ares. Dude had the typical reaction of someone who's dating a girl who's bad as hell but also batshyt crazy, on some ":francis: this chick is nuts, but she's bad so I'm just gonna roll with it and pretend like everything she's saying is perfectly normal" :mjlol:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm confused lol. So for the past few years cats have rightly railed at dc for some choices they've made or not made in how they handle their flicks. And someone or a couple people even said they need a critically acclaimed flick to balance the ship out. Haven't seen it yet. It @Prodigal Syndicate says they let patty jenkins make the movie she wanted without interference or fukkery. And now it's a problem it's critically acclaimed or there's underlying reasons as to why critics are receptive to it? Can't win with y'all :russ: Every single thing is a fukking conspiracy on this site. And everything is about "the agenda" whatever that agenda may be in a given moment:deadmanny:. When everything's a conspiracy or an agenda, nothing is.

Like @Drew Wonder said a 94% doesn't mean every critic who liked it thinks it's a perfect film. It just means they liked it. Some liked it more than others some liked it less. But again at the end of the day that's their opinion. If you disagree it doesn't make their opinion any less valid.

Some people are so caught up in the Stan Wars that they don't know how to react when a film drops that disrupts whatever narrative they were trying to push about critics or other stans.

Gonna be interesting how people react when Justice League drops and whether or not it's a movie that lots of people enjoy.