O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Patty Jenkins airing Warner Brothers out now. lol

Patty Jenkins Details ‘Internal War’ with Warner Bros. Over ‘Wonder Woman’: ‘There Was Such Mistrust'
Patty Jenkins Details ‘Internal War’ with Warner Bros. Over ‘Wonder Woman’: ‘There Was Such Mistrust’
Zack Sharf
January 4, 2021, 10:45 am

Patty Jenkins has been honest in recent “Wonder Woman 1984” interviews about what it’s like to clash with a Hollywood studio over a comic book tentpole. The director has detailed battles against Warner Bros. over the original ending to “Wonder Woman” and over the double opening of “Wonder Woman 1984,” but Jenkins was at her most candid during her appearance on Marc Maron’s “WTF” podcast (via The Playlist). In reflecting on the development of 2017’s “Wonder Woman,” Jenkins described an “internal war” at Warner Bros., where the studio was apparently less interested in her ideas than in the symbol of a woman director helming a female-fronted superhero movie.

“They wanted to hire me like a beard; they wanted me to walk around on set as a woman, but it was their story and their vision,” Jenkins said. “And my ideas? They didn’t even want to read my script. There was such mistrust of a different way of doing things and a different point of view.”
Jenkins continued, “Even when I first joined ‘Wonder Woman’ it was like, ‘Uhh, yeah, OK, but let’s do it this other way.’ But I was like, ‘Women don’t want to see that. Her being harsh and tough and cutting people’s heads off… I’m a ‘Wonder Woman’ fan, that’s not what we’re looking for.’ Still, I could feel that shaky nervousness [on their part] of my point of view.”

The director added, “They were nervous that it wasn’t viable… They were all freaked out by all the female superhero films that had failed, the smaller ones that had failed, and also Christopher Nolan was making the ‘Dark Knight‘ thing, so I think they were just trying to figure out what they were doing with DC at that time.”

Conversations between Jenkins and Warner Bros. about developing “Wonder Woman” started in 2004, but it wasn’t until 2007 that the studio asked her to direct. Jenkins was pregnant at the time and turned the studio down, only to come back on board in 2011. Jenkins would exit the film over creative differences, jumping over to Marvel for “Thor 2” and leaving the door open for Warner Bros. to hire Michelle MacLaren for “Wonder Woman.” Additional creative differences killed both of those projects, which is when Warner Bros. decided to bring Jenkins back and let her make the “Wonder Woman” film she envisioned.

“During that period of time, there were so many scripts, I could see the writing on the wall,” Jenkins said about the years-long development of “Wonder Woman,” noting that at least 30 different screenplays were written and considered over the years. “This was an internal war on every level about what ‘Wonder Woman’ should be.”

“Wonder Woman” went on to become a cultural phenomenon in summer 2017 and launched a studio-defining franchise for Warner Bros. Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman 1984” is now playing in theaters and streaming on HBO Max, and news has already broke that she’ll be back to helm “Wonder Woman 3.”

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media
So she’s the reason the movie was as bad as it was, not the execs?

shyt was corny af a lot of times. I see why people saying it sucked compared to the first.

I get the chopping off head parts but bytch forgot these nikkas is killers... Amazons... Warriors. I hate that these out of touch fukkers can’t understand how dark comics, especially DC comics, are

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Whats funny is Diana was killing dudes left and right in the first one...

Maybe not collecting heads but action was on point

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Smh @ this mansplaning :mjgrin:

Honestly this dichotomy cuts to the heart of why Wonder Woman was never popular in the first place. She's a token, only locked in the female character HOF by being first. She in her original concept doesn't and has never appealed to girls.

Simply put girls dont like graphic displays of violence the same way boys do. :yeshrug: Thats why superhero comics was a boys thing while girls read novels. The character was created in a genre almost exclusively dedicated to violence. And her character along with the genre only got more graphic as time went on.

The greek mythology backdrop to her universe doesn't help at all. Girls aint into sword fights and nikkas getting beheaded. Thats why when they made the TV show they had make it campy and add the goofy shyt to her kit. Because the pageantry is what scores with women

There is a reason Sailor Moon was the most popular girl centered animated work. They knew their audience better.

The characters were written as down to earth teenagers instead of centruy old warrior gods. Relationships were the meat of the show instead of the lull between fights. The Sailor Scouts didnt throw hands, they did a series of graceful poses in a colorful transformation sequence to unviel a new outfit, then did another to do "magic" that killed monsters.

And the shyt worked. :manny: But SM was created and written by woman, not a character created by a man and written for boys that people pretend they were fukking with decades later.
Good shyt blood

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
136065549_3667417459967762_3285647599395520667_n.jpg

136078692_3667417499967758_1200379358243699891_n.jpg

136488250_3670107569698751_7667450475051606840_n.jpg

137006834_3670107846365390_1518946043213477292_n.jpg

:mjlol:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
WONDER WOMAN 1984 REVIEW

it took me a minute but watching this movie. I kept thinking to myself. This movie reminds me of some bullshyt on syndicated network television. that used to air like it was dope. When it was that resin bowl of mid.. I was already at the this is as bad as catwoman. With no actual kick ass HALLE KICKED SHARON'S ASS fight scene. mixed with that one trash logan movie. where wolverine spends the whole movie NEVER being wolverine. Then it kept bothering me like what bullshyt is this. That should never be revisited. Then it hit me. THIS MOVIE IS WHAT IF,.... WONDER WOMAN WAS IN THE BRADY BUNCH VACATION MOVIE WITH THAT STOOPID ASS TALISMAN. That is how much epic cringe I had watching this movie. On top of just doing what never works in hero movies. Having a movie where the hero never has their full powers at all. Nor do they ever explain why.
After this ...dc could be done.
Unless dc figures out how to capture the chemistry of titans, and hawk and dove's relationship to film.

As that is the only template they have that works. Where it will not be sabotaged by dc being dc. Along with warner being warner.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
:mjcry: I feel so vindicated. I called the demise of the DCEU the moment they announced BvS. And while most will hold their hat on the first WW, Aquaman, Shazaam :russ: and and unconnected Joker movie, DC and the DCEU as a whole has been an artistic flop. This trash ass movie solidifies it. :blessed:

#marvelset

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
This movie was some bullshyt. I am glad that I saw this on HBO Max, instead of in a theater. The shyt that Patty Jenkins chose to do is inexcusable in this day and age of comic book movies. This was some Batman Forever and Batman and Robin crap. The thing I don't like about this story taking place in the past, is that it gives an excuse to do some bull crap. Because you know, Snyder said that she has been off the grid since World War I. Plus WB doesn't really know where the future of the DC movie universe is going anyway. So do whatever. If that want to make sure that Wonder Woman remained a myth, until the events of BvS, this could have been an Indiana Jones type adventure movie. Somewhere along the line, Barbara ends up the sacrifice for the Cheetah god, which could have been all Diana's fault, or she blames herself, which adds to why she hasn't done anything.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This movie was some bullshyt. I am glad that I saw this on HBO Max, instead of in a theater. The shyt that Patty Jenkins chose to do is inexcusable in this day and age of comic book movies. This was some Batman Forever and Batman and Robin crap. The thing I don't like about this story taking place in the past, is that it gives an excuse to do some bull crap. Because you know, Snyder said that she has been off the grid since World War I. Plus WB doesn't really know where the future of the DC movie universe is going anyway. So do whatever. If that want to make sure that Wonder Woman remained a myth, until the events of BvS, this could have been an Indiana Jones type adventure movie. Somewhere along the line, Barbara ends up the sacrifice for the Cheetah god, which could have been all Diana's fault, or she blames herself, which adds to why she hasn't done anything.
I think Jenkins just ignored or was unaware of the comic book movie genre history. She may look at 80s camp style as cool and interesting but comic book people look at that as not taking the source material seriously enough and ever since have tried to make the genre more serious or at least have a standard of seriousness and definitely pay homage to what's in the comics. She did neither. It's a shame because I think there was a good movie to be made based on the story she just fumbled all the important details.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I think Jenkins just ignored or was unaware of the comic book movie genre history. She may look at 80s camp style as cool and interesting but comic book people look at that as not taking the source material seriously enough and ever since have tried to make the genre more serious or at least have a standard of seriousness and definitely pay homage to what's in the comics. She did neither. It's a shame because I think there was a good movie to be made based on the story she just fumbled all the important details.

they should’ve just put Nolan in charge of the whole thing. He did good work with Snyder in MOS. Let him write the stories or some shyt.

Snyder wasn’t horrible, but he needs someone to balance his shyt out. He’s good at making individual scenes and sequences, but he’s all over the place when it comes to telling a story.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
they should’ve just put Nolan in charge of the whole thing. He did good work with Snyder in MOS. Let him write the stories or some shyt.

Snyder wasn’t horrible, but he needs someone to balance his shyt out. He’s good at making individual scenes and sequences, but he’s all over the place when it comes to telling a story.
Since the Batman trilogies he been chasing Oscars, I doubt that's anything he wanted to do.