Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Did Stern really do that shyt to make Earv the series MVP? Everyone and their mama knows it shoulda been Cap, even Earv, but I'd like to know if that was really true.

edit: Fugazi apparently...but a lil truth to it :patrice:

'Winning Time' fact check: How Magic Johnson took MVP in heroic finale

Did Magic swipe Kareem's finals MVP award?
"Winning Time" shows a locker room-bound Johnson agreeing to take the finals MVP award instead of Abdul-Jabbar – on the strong suggestion of David Stern, the league's executive vice president for legal affairs (and future commissioner). The scene is a fictionalized account of the debate surrounding Johnson's finals MVP win.

Abdul-Jabbar was the series' statistical MVP winner through his heroic Game 5. But he missed the finals due to his ankle injury.

In his memoir, "Kareem," Abdul-Jabbar cites sportswriter Bill Livingston, who publicly said the voting NBA writers had originally chosen Abdul-Jabbar as finals MVP – but the group was pressured "either by the network (CBS) or the league" to change the vote. Johnson had no say in the matter. But with Abdul-Jabbar stuck watching the game from his Los Angeles home, giving the award to an empty chair was bad TV.

"My not being there in Philadelphia to receive the trophy on camera was a major inconvenience as far as the television people were concerned," Abdul-Jabbar wrote, making it clear he only cared about winning the game. He did not begrudge Johnson for the win, writing, "the outcome was never a problem between Magic and me."

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
yeah, felt bad for Jack, but this TV version of him had to go based on how they did the story.

Mama Buss :mjcry: (always had a crush on Sally Field for some odd reason :guilty: )

Hughes killing it as Cap. :wow:

They got Earv acting the damn fool :dead: (he had strung Cookie along for over a decade IRL tho :yeshrug: )

Jeanie kinda cute :ehh:

Cap teachin Earv the hook :wow:

Reilly killed it this episode

They really got Logo acting like a lunatic, I'd be salty too but it makes for GREAT tv :pachaha:
a nicca thought he was the only one :whew: shes my grandmother age but i always thought she was cute. Seen her in her prime in smoky and the bandit just to confirm my thought :wow: would've clapped her girl next door cheeks
OW4jege9_o.jpg

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Kareem’s game five was an all time performance that should be up there with other amazing individual performance, like the Jordan stomach flu game or Isiah Thomas’ game 6 in 1988.

I’m glad they took a lot of time showing that and showing the agony dude was in during the game.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Kareem’s game five was an all time performance that should be up there with other amazing individual performance, like the Jordan stomach flu game or Isiah Thomas’ game 6 in 1988.

I’m glad they took a lot of time showing that and showing the agony dude was in during the game.

TV heads pushing giving it to Earv cause Cap wasn't there....one of the goofiest shyts ever. :dead:

LWO kept Dr J away from 2 rings. :wow:

Doc had to give management the :ufdup: and they had to get Moses to finally beat the LWO :dead:

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Did Stern really do that shyt to make Earv the series MVP? Everyone and their mama knows it shoulda been Cap, even Earv, but I'd like to know if that was really true.

edit: Fugazi apparently...but a lil truth to it :patrice:

'Winning Time' fact check: How Magic Johnson took MVP in heroic finale

Did Magic swipe Kareem's finals MVP award?
"Winning Time" shows a locker room-bound Johnson agreeing to take the finals MVP award instead of Abdul-Jabbar – on the strong suggestion of David Stern, the league's executive vice president for legal affairs (and future commissioner). The scene is a fictionalized account of the debate surrounding Johnson's finals MVP win.

Abdul-Jabbar was the series' statistical MVP winner through his heroic Game 5. But he missed the finals due to his ankle injury.

In his memoir, "Kareem," Abdul-Jabbar cites sportswriter Bill Livingston, who publicly said the voting NBA writers had originally chosen Abdul-Jabbar as finals MVP – but the group was pressured "either by the network (CBS) or the league" to change the vote. Johnson had no say in the matter. But with Abdul-Jabbar stuck watching the game from his Los Angeles home, giving the award to an empty chair was bad TV.

"My not being there in Philadelphia to receive the trophy on camera was a major inconvenience as far as the television people were concerned," Abdul-Jabbar wrote, making it clear he only cared about winning the game. He did not begrudge Johnson for the win, writing, "the outcome was never a problem between Magic and me."

one thing that scene did is show how Stern was more involved in moving the NBA in a direction of expansion from showcasing star personalities, to TV exposure, and obviously the global markets too.

He had big ideas for the NBA