Official What If...? Season 1 Thread

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Same thing I've been bytchiing about since Loki ep 1. :pachaha:

I guess I'm alone in this around here, but for me the MCU was great not because of the individual movies, but because of the collective.
On their own, most MCU movies are just alright, with a couple great ones sprinkled in. The fact there was a U in the MCU, though, made them all better.
A consistent world where we could watch characters grow individually and as team, over time...and all culminated in Infinity War/End Game to make the best movie experiences I've ever had.

That's gone now. There is no more U in MCU...it's MCUs...plural, and all that I liked most about it was killed.

I get why they did it...now they can drop what I'm sure was most difficult about holding the MCU together. Now they can just make endless shows and movies, slap the MCU brand on it, call it "canon", and pump out content. It's there golden goose to break into the streaming service world. Quantity over quality, imo.
I know pretty much everyone here disagree with me...but I'd rather have one MCU movie every year or so than a hundred shows, cartoons, and movies...all of which are connected only through the Marvel brand and characters (all different multiverse versions, mind you)..

Add to the fact that everything post Endgame has seemed to pay more attention to political messaging than actually telling a good story....and the future looks grim imo.
Captain Marvel is now the "strongest Avenger".
In Wandavision Vision followed Wanda around like a lost puppy.
In Falcon the original Cap was made to look like little more than a tool of American oppression and imperialism.
In Loki Loki followed She-Loki (who was labeled the "superior Loki" multiple times) around like a lost puppy....
Carter where able to save Bucky where Steve failed to...
This isnt a conspiracy....Feige as made it clear this is their objective. And I dont have a problem with that necessarily (or politically), but the fact that they have to diminish and castrate all the previous heroes to push their message just shows laziness, to me. Why cant they write a good story AND include the themes that they want? "Kill the past" was the Star Wars take on it (and they destroyed Luke as well. Luke fukking Skywalker was turned into a moping, miserable, shyt head).
I mean, if we're being honest...is Captain Marvel, Wandavision, FATWS, and Loki anything you're going to revisit? I have little desire to....and I've rewatched the Infinity Saga movies more times than I can count...
I feel like you juelzed this to avoid admitting Wanda's character arc in Wandavison being the antithesis of everything you just wrote

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
236682482_3033657526892691_1474922277554810781_n.jpg

238830478_10102798146060372_7724187811324395900_n.jpg

238683381_10102798146140212_4402042076127926710_n.jpg

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I feel like you juelzed this to avoid admitting Wanda's character arc in Wandavison being the antithesis of everything you just wrote
Bringing up specific evidence is juelzing now.
Awesome.

And I left Wanda’s insanity out because it wasn’t relevant to the point I was making....but it is relevant to another tendency of these new shows that fits the same pattern....an even worse one, IMO. The mental gymnastics the show did to make her sympathetic is astounding to me. She literally enslaved thousands of people because she was sad and the show told us to feel bad for her....to hate the people trying to free the slaves.
They villainized Sword for bringing guns to try to free the slaves....Wanda literally took the moral high ground in that scene - which also made clear that she knew full well what she was doing. She wanted to keep her slaves forever....but Sword brought guns so theyre the bad guys? Seriously?
Monica, the “hero”, said she would do the same....enslave thousands....if it meant she could conjure a pretend version of her mother.
The final battle had Vision deciding to fight to keep the slaves as well (at this point they both clearly knew what was going on)...and had us rooting for the slavers.
And this is the shyt people are saying is great writing?
It’s baffling.
They can do no wrong, these MCU women...

If the show actually acknowledged that Wanda was being an evil c*nt you would have a point.
But no...whats the lasting image of the slave driver?
Wandavision-Emmys-Trailer-Views-Ratings-752x420.jpg

Last edited:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
hate the art style

love the story

will continue watching
Opposite for me. The whole 'shes a female hero!' Thing came off too forced. The men were cartoonishly misogynist which doesn't even make sense in context since if we really want to go there, Peggy Carter wouldn't have even been allowed to be in the same room as the men or be authorized to carry fire arms.

The character felt like an overcorrection she had zero character flaws and seemingly succeeded at everything she did with ease. It felt overall like they were just pandering to women instead of making her heroism feel organic.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Opposite for me. The whole 'shes a female hero!' Thing came off too forced. The men were cartoonishly misogynist which doesn't even make sense in context since if we really want to go there, Peggy Carter wouldn't have even been allowed to be in the same room as the men or be authorized to carry fire arms.

The character felt like an overcorrection she had zero character flaws and seemingly succeeded at everything she did with ease. It felt overall like they were just pandering to women instead of making her heroism feel organic.
A golden undeniable example of a Mary Sue.

The episode was alright tho.

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

She did the same things Steve did in The First Avenger, nothing more nothing less. She was the prototypical super soldier.

She was in the room in the movie too but went to the booth upstairs with everyone else. This time they all stayed downstairs, which let the spy set off his bomb before the experiment instead of after. She always had a gun in that scene and tried to shoot the spy while he was driving but Steve stopped her so she wouldn't get run over.

Peggy never really had character flaws in any of her appearances. Her only weakness was her undying love for Steve.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
She did the same things Steve did in The First Avenger, nothing more nothing less. She was the prototypical super soldier.

She was in the room in the movie too but went to the booth upstairs with everyone else. This time they all stayed downstairs, which let the spy set off his bomb before the experiment instead of after. She always had a gun in that scene and tried to shoot the spy while he was driving but Steve stopped her so she wouldn't get run over.

Peggy never really had character flaws in any of her appearances. Her only weakness was her undying love for Steve.

Only thing I didn't like was that she had to be "just enough better" than Steve that she could save Bucky.

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only thing I didn't like was that she had to be "just enough better" than Steve that she could save Bucky.
That's not what that scene was. Saving Bucky was a joke/Easter egg pointing to the movie because losing Bucky wouldn't mean anything to her. Bucky is cool but he's just another soldier to her. He only stands out because he is Steve's day one.

In that same scene she lost Steve, the person she cares about the most. She lost him because she was so cocky she walked her squad into a trap. The fact that Steve lived and was captured, just like Bucky, doesn't change her failure in that scene.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This has been going on since 2015:francis:

The lazy forced strong woman

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
soo wtf was the deal with the octopus:gucci:
does it even matter?

how does peggy do all this with her hair down:mindblown:?
I was expecting the voice overs to be kinda cringey tbh but it was solid work? ... Unlike the Stuart Little 3 character models:beli: but i suppose it was designed to keep costs down qnd not take forever to animate

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
soo wtf was the deal with the octopus:gucci:
does it even matter?

how does peggy do all this with her hair down:mindblown:?
I was expecting the voice overs to be kinda cringey tbh but it was solid work? ... Unlike the Stuart Little 3 character models:beli: but i suppose it was designed to keep costs down qnd not take forever to animate
yes very much so