Official Westworld Season 3 Thread

Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Valley of the SUNS
can one of you answer a simple question for me.

How is this considered a reboot (i see many people everywhere calling it that)? In my mind a reboot was always to completely do away with all characters and stories that came before and start anew. But this is to me just seems like a regular continuation.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
can one of you answer a simple question for me.

How is this considered a reboot (i see many people everywhere calling it that)? In my mind a reboot was always to completely do away with all characters and stories that came before and start anew. But this is to me just seems like a regular continuation.

It's not a reboot. But because of the setting change, new cast of characters, and slightly different energy, it can be considered a "soft reboot" that looks to continue the story, but change enough elements in hopes of bringing in new fans or luring back the fans that left after a mixed season 2.

You have a classic property, one that's made money hand over fist for you for years, perhaps decades, but now, it's getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe it's dated, maybe recent installments have tarnished its name, maybe it's just bogged down in Continuity Lockout. Perhaps you've just finished the story you wanted to tell, or you're still telling that story and don't want to ruin it yet. Or maybe you've finally been given the budget to make the entry in the franchise you'd wanted to make years ago but couldn't afford.

Resetting the thing to bring in new fans sounds like a good idea, but maybe the core storyline is still interesting if you can get rid of the bad superficial elements that accumulated around it over the years, or peel back the exaggeration of its problems over time; maybe you're about to release it into a wider market where they never got the previous entry while pleasing existing fans; maybe you want to make a straight sequel but have to take a new direction because of drastic creative team changes; or maybe you're simply afraid of the backlash to a Continuity Reboot.

What to do? Well, instead of starting over, dip into the Troper Well and pull out a way of explaining you're not really tossing away the classic stories the fans love. No, this is an Alternate Timeline. Or a sequel set sometime after the events of the old series that mentions the things fans loved but quietly neglects or Retcons the things not so beloved. Perhaps it's a Retool where significant parts of the setting are changed and even most of the main cast are replaced going forward. Or a prequel, or a Time Skip, or even a separate adventure taking place somewhere else so you have an excuse not to mention the events of the original series, while not denying they took place. You can do an unremarked-upon Same Plot Sequel because it doesn't really matter if there's a literal continuity or not. You can even do a sequel where it's deliberately contradictory as to how much it incorporates from the previous entries, using Broad Strokes for stuff you want to keep to allow you to ditch the rest.

Essentially, it has many elements of a reboot, and feels a lot like one, without actually getting rid of the old continuity.

Soft Reboot - TV Tropes

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Maeve in that white dress

:wow:

In or out of anything, she is too damn fine.....

I guess the big connection between this and GOT is the composer, Ramin Djawdi does the scores for both series...

The synth work he has been doing is amazing....

I knew Maeve was in a VM as soon as she sent those constructs into a recursive loop to eat up memory.

An AI...trapped in a VM, then is self-aware enough to backdoor the network to free herself....levels brehs....

As an engineer, this show is enjoyable to watch....

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
It's not a reboot. But because of the setting change, new cast of characters, and slightly different energy, it can be considered a "soft reboot" that looks to continue the story, but change enough elements in hopes of bringing in new fans or luring back the fans that left after a mixed season 2.

Soft Reboot - TV Tropes
Based on the above, I'd call it a "retool".

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I had a feeling the convoluted mess of season 2 would get season 3 to be severely dumb down...which wasn't the problem.

Westworld had a great narrative, but a one trick pony timeline gimmick that never should of been reused in season 2.

HBO should of used the downtime last year to recut Season 2 into chronological order.

iseetrolledpeople

A silent witness to all this trolling going on.
Daps
Im here for the overly intelligent cats that run to reddit and come back like ":gladbron: hey guys I just figured iit out! look at this easter egg hiding in the background a 22:37 in!"
Like those that saw leaks of GoT and then went in the thread dropping mad "theories":snoop:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Like those that saw leaks of GoT and then went in the thread dropping mad "theories":snoop:

you gotta feel really dumb and worthless in real life to do shyt like that for a dap.

that one cat was really posting gifs and shyt talking bout "look I was right".

But nah, I see it in all these threads for shows like these. Cats be stealing whole reddit posts verbatim.

iseetrolledpeople

A silent witness to all this trolling going on.
Daps
you gotta feel really dumb and worthless in real life to do shyt like that for a dap.

that one cat was really posting gifs and shyt talking bout "look I was right".

But nah, I see it in all these threads for shows like these. Cats be stealing whole reddit posts verbatim.
I know man. I'm on reddit and I see them first hand. For those guys it's a mix between wanting to be smart and ashamed to admit they surf reddit lol

I called out a bunch of them in the GoT and Watchmen threads, got more daps than their posts :blessed:

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I'm guessing these interludes are supposed to indicate when rehoboam is generating a simulation?

zVNrZ1I.png

Last edited: