Official Watchmen Thread

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
If a guy objectifies or makes crude remarks towards women, that's not masculinity's fault. Maybe that particular guy is just an azzhole.
All men shouldn't be painted with the same brush.
As far as being gay, a man can sleep with men and still be masculine. James Baldwin was gay, but he was masculine. Richard Pryor allegedly slept with men, but he was still masculine. I wouldn't say that their masculinity made them toxic, nor would I say that their homosexuality made them effeminate. At the end of the day, they carried themselves like men.
Seeing Black men reduced to the fukkery in the clip below is truly what's toxic, because that is what is slowly becoming the accepted imagery of the Black man.

Gay or straight, we should not want this type of toxic imagery to be perpetuated upon us.

You're taking a comment and you're going into directions no one is going. It's like with Black Lives Matter when all the faux outraged white people were like "what about white lives? Are you saying only black lives matter?"

No one said that it is masculinity's fault...that's why I specifically used the term "guise" to describe "men being men." Because you're right...it's not masculinity that's at fault. It's the perception to some men on what masculinity actually is that is toxic. Are you following?

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
You're taking a comment and you're going into directions no one is going. It's like with Black Lives Matter when all the faux outraged white people were like "what about white lives? Are you saying only black lives matter?"

No one said that it is masculinity's fault...that's why I specifically used the term "guise" to describe "men being men." Because you're right...it's not masculinity that's at fault. It's the perception to some men on what masculinity actually is that is toxic. Are you following?
I am; and that's not what I did, but aight.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
There are a million different ways to write a wife leaving her husband. Here are 3 quick ones, just off the top of my head:
1. His vigilante work gives him ptsd which causes Will to alienate and withdraw from his family.
2. Will could've cheated on his wife with another woman.
3. Will could've started becoming dangerous & violent at home, and June could've fled with their son.
I came up with those in a few minutes. The team of people who write the show could've done even more.

So you'd rather he abuse his wife/children than what happened and what was alluded to in the graphic novel...

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
You would willingly engage in fake relationship in someone you had no interest in?
Me personally, no, but people do it all the time. I even gave you two real life examples.
I mentioned Rock Hudson & the Clintons, but you could also add people in arranged marriages. Many of them engage in fake relationships because that's part of their cultural norm.

Daps
:dwillhuh:

Am I buggin or....?

Edit: And let's be clear....I asked you a question in regards to how it "dilutes the trauma of the riots." Regardless of whether he was straight or gay he still committed acts of anger SOLELY because of what happened to him as a black man. Him being gay didn't heighten or lessen a single thing about that.

Yes you are bugging, continue reading the full statement. It’s not that long.

I disagree that his closeted homosexuality didn’t have an effect on his anger. The episode opens with dramatized HJ doling out anti-gay justice and they have Will talking about “how did you know?” in an obvious double entendre

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Man I knew brehs on The Coli would be hot after this episode. :russ:

cant say I blame them shyt was :hhh:

Crazy how Will got gay honey potted so Captain Metropolis could use Hooded Justices cult like status and legend for clout for the Minutemen :francis:

Will was going in on those Cacs at the end though and Im glad he had the sheriff hang himself up :wow:

I thought the whole story was a clever tie-in to the
OG comic.

Last edited:

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Me personally, no, but people do it all the time. I even gave you two real life examples.
I mentioned Rock Hudson & the Clintons, but you could also add people in arranged marriages. Many of them engage in fake relationships because that's part of their cultural norm.

An arranged marriage is not a fake relationship

The Clinton's stayed married after bill was caught before there relationship was sincere as far as I know.

So you agree that gay men back in the day had fake relationships.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Not really. Let's try a different angle. Let's replace Hooded Justice with Prince. Back in the day, there were hella questions about Prince's sexuality, but despite the rumors, innuendo, high heels, and blouses, he was a puzzy magnet.
We never knew for sure that Prince was gay, but people assumed. The reality was different.
You can't compare a comic book character who was not really a part of the main story, but was really just a bit piece for world building in a really deep story to someone who lives their life in the public. And even if it made sense to make this comparison, the problem is that the same sources that came out proving Prince was a p*ssy magnet are the same sources that are burying Hooded Justice in the comic book. We got a perspective from both the original Night Owl and Silk Spectre (who was noted as being EXTREMELY close to Hooded Justice) and neither one could confirm his heterosexuality. In fact, it seemed they were actively hinting that he WAS homosexual while trying to protect his personal life. It's not like Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis were the only men in the Minutemen...but they were the only ones suspected of homosexuality within members of the group