Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
The director/writer came from the world of Mexican Telenovelas, so I gotta give my props to her for changing things up.... Buen Hecho!

And I have ZERO allegiance to edgelord white boys that fetishize Rust Cohle. If it's HP Lovecraft related, I'm checking out on GP.

I'm not even mad at the "Girls get it done" (c) The Boys ending. Corny blah blah. But indigenous peoples are getting a lot of shine lately, and with Dev Patel's moving coming up, Red Dot and Feathers are finally gonna get their due. (We aren't recognizing that Priyanka Amazon garbage.)

But Jodie and Eskimo are horrible detectives, horrible cops and horrible human beings.

Not only was that torture scene gratuitious, but it was Bad Cop and Worse Cop. And then Idea ex Machina where they solve the case...

Low key, it was the ONE WHITE GIRL that got them hemmed up?

FOH.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
@re'up get in here we need your eloquent thoughts

Haven't watched since episode 3 or 4. I probably will, but besides from the visuals and some small moments, it just got rougher and rougher as a watch. Not very engaging for me as a viewer. Had more fun just posting about it in here and sharing some ideas and comments than I did watching any of the episodes.

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
First comment:

“You guys went too deep. This shyt was not that complicated.”

:laff: shyt is true. Breh was talking about the levels of hell and cosmic beings and I’m sitting here like :dahell:
I had to turn that shyt off. Not everyone does these breakdowns good.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
It was aight as a horror thriller cop show. Didn't need to be a "True Detective" show tho

Eh, I’ll take it. I’m tired of complaining unless a show was just completely flat out trash. It had its moments

It actually felt like something I would read in a novel from back in the day. So the ending makes sense in my opinion.

It was an ok ending. Now that it’s all played out, I don’t understand why they tied it to Season 1. It was completely unnecessary, didn’t really add to the storyline, and increased expectations to a level they couldn’t deliver. It could have remained a stand alone story. None of the other seasons overlapped anyway.

I liked it, but here's the thing...
A few months from now I'm probably not going to remember it :dead:

It was a good "week to week" watch, but I think Season 1 was the only one that will stick with you years later.

Having said that, I liked the way the setting looked, and you have to give it credit for one thing rare for these types of mystery shows:
They were able to fulfill the goals of "not having a predictable killer" AND "having a plot that actually holds up and makes sense once its over".

You can even give them some leeway for all the "supernatural" stuff by saying that the entire town's drinking supply was contaminated by massive amounts of toxic chemicals. Yet the show didn't actually rely on that supernatural element to explain the plot line. They give you the reason why they killers would have a motive, they got the killing done without some kind of crazy elaborate supervillain plan or the need for any "magic teleportation" or "super strength" to explain how the killing got done, etc.

But again, by June, I'm probably not going to remember any of this stuff. :ehh:

Tommy Lee Jones

All Star
Daps
See, why would you go about telling on yourself?
Prove me wrong. Jodie foster is a great actress and Ripley in aliens is a great character. I don’t hate women but I don’t think they can tell stories and make movies like men. They always suck I can give countless examples.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Prove me wrong. Jodie foster is a great actress and Ripley in aliens is a great character. I don’t hate women but I don’t think they can tell stories and make movies like men. They always suck I can give countless examples.

You're just exposing your taste, that's all. Plenty of men make shyt movies too.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I'm so glad I waited to watch this. I'm too episodes in and going through this thread and some of the criticisms are like ready weirdo reddit babble :mjlol:

At least after 2 episodes the show is very well done (kinda of a given with HBO, but still) and more importantly, compelling. I wanna see if they can juggle all this angles/stories without fukking it up, it's not an easy task.