Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
First two episodes were fine, but I wasn’t feeling this one. Starts off promising, tries laying some groundwork, but just goes about it in a meandering way where it felt like the story couldn’t move forward until the last five minutes. Don’t want to hear any “But the show just started” rebuttals this week.

Want to see how the rest will play out but I’m starting to look at critics like Sepinwall with the side eye. Some of the acting here makes the weak links in the previous seasons look more respectable in comparison.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
All of these mfs being uncooperative just for the sake of it, or maybe they have their own agendas, but gotdamn, mfs out here being murdered or drowned/frozen or whatever. I'ma just start slapping MFS off rip if I'm Navarro.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Supernatural vibes are definitely ramping up. With the hints that Annie discovered something, the scientists dying before freezing, and the visions that Navarro is getting.

Ask the question - Who is Mrs. Robinson? :mjlol:

Ask the question - Does everyone under 30 know how to hack a phone or know someone who does :skip:

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
First two episodes were fine, but I wasn’t feeling this one. Starts off promising, tries laying some groundwork, but just goes about it in a meandering way where it felt like the story couldn’t move forward until the last five minutes. Don’t want to hear any “But the show just started” rebuttals this week.

Want to see how the rest will play out but I’m starting to look at critics like Sepinwall with the side eye. Some of the acting here makes the weak links in the previous seasons look more respectable in comparison.

I don't wanna come off :mjpls:but I've noticed the recent uptick in Native stories (nothing wrong with that at all) featuring Native actors (nothing wrong with that either) has some dodgy acting. I get not wanting the heat for casting non-Natives for the roles but the work suffers for it.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen some bleak "entertainment" in my time but brehs this is streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeching it

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24

Yep

Reviewers fukked up gassin' it so hard before it dropped acting like and literally sayin' it was the 2nd coming of S1.

HBO fukked up allegedly making Issa Lopez slap the rue Detective label on this in the 1st place when it was supposed to be it's own standalone thing.

@Nero Christ Same thing I'm seeing, which cool, A+ for more diversity but put these mfs in some more acting classes or have them grind the chitlin' circuit 1st or something or the overall production is gonna suffer. Also, for this series specifically, some of the random cutaways to the shyt happening on the Indian forefront is just so mind-numbingly boring and uninteresting it's not even funny.

Back to this episode tho, mfs got the Night Kingg waking up in the hospital bed & shyt. Something def going on with the environment in Ennis driving mfs crazy and shyt. Kind of crazy it's only 3 episodes of this shyt left.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yep

Reviewers fukked up gassin' it so hard before it dropped acting like and literally sayin' it was the 2nd coming of S1.

HBO fukked up allegedly making Issa Lopez slap the rue Detective label on this in the 1st place when it was supposed to be it's own standalone thing.

@Nero Christ Same thing I'm seeing, which cool, A+ for more diversity but put these mfs in some more acting classes or have them grind the chitlin' circuit 1st or something or the overall production is gonna suffer. Also, for this series specifically, some of the random cutaways to the shyt happening on the Indian forefront is just so mind-numbingly boring and uninteresting it's not even funny.

Back to this episode tho, mfs got the Night Kingg waking up in the hospital bed & shyt. Something def going on with the environment in Ennis driving mfs crazy and shyt. Kind of crazy it's only 3 episodes of this shyt left.

I think the subtext is that this DOESN"T get made without the True Detective label (a lot of that because of the content, Native women, all female cast)

so, I'm going to just relax and not go over on the criticisms, but aside from the style, and the aura, and the shots, there isn't a lot here.

but the social issues seems very heavy handed and layered on way too thick. I get that WindRiver was directed by a white man, and thus has it's own blindsides, but it didn't seem like they tried to fit every Native/indegienous people issue into a 2 hour movie. Because it would have felt unnatural.

Plus, the show can't really overcome those cliches, mining protests in a small town? the evil corporation against the locals? Those are tropes that were in Steven Seagal movies before he was fat.

Last edited:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
I think the subtext is that this DOESN"T get made without the True Detective label

so, I'm going to just relax and not go over on the criticisms, but aside from the style, and the aura, and the shots, there isn't a lot here.

I'm still holding out a lil hope it's finna pick up and/or the payoff gonna be chef's kiss worthy but they def testing patience and underutilizing a dope ass character (the setting itself) so far.

TheJet

Superstar
Daps
-soooo she did t think it was weird that the orange just magically came back?