Official thread on Michael Bay's TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES movie

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Just came back from seeing it. Very pleased. The characters were represented well, the action was dope, and Shreddar was giving cats work left and right....he was not to be fukked with in the least bit. My boy Leo was well represented, and Megan Fox was surprisingly a good April. I bought her motivation, bought her ability and I'm glad they didn't make her a damsel in distress. I've got a few quibbles with it like their size which I think takes away their "ninja" skills, and they didn't really portray the "massive crime wave" in the city like the setup says, which they did very well in the 90 movie but also as most of you cats have said, NYC isn't the same anymore so a crime wave in that city..I don't know what it would look like now. But I think they could've done it.

Some of the lines were hokey as hell lol but it never pulled me out of the movie. And I'm glad it's doing well at the box office. The kids in my theater seemed to love it and that made me happy as a lifelong turtle fan

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Just came back from seeing it. Very pleased. The characters were represented well, the action was dope, and Shreddar was giving cats work left and right....he was not to be fukked with in the least bit. My boy Leo was well represented, and Megan Fox was surprisingly a good April. I bought her motivation, bought her ability and I'm glad they didn't make her a damsel in distress. I've got a few quibbles with it like their size which I think takes away their "ninja" skills, and they didn't really portray the "massive crime wave" in the city like the setup says, which they did very well in the 90 movie but also as most of you cats have said, NYC isn't the same anymore so a crime wave in that city..I don't know what it would look like now. But I think they could've done it.

Some of the lines were hokey as hell lol but it never pulled me out of the movie. And I'm glad it's doing well at the box office. The kids in my theater seemed to love it and that made me happy as a lifelong turtle fan

Good review. I agree about Megan, everyone trashed the casting but she wasn't bad as April. My biggest beef was Shredder's White student was a very generic bad guy. But Man Shredder was like a Video Game boss that it takes you weeks to beat. His weaponry was crazy. He was so fast.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps

I think you are one of the only few people in here that watch these cartoon/comic book movies, and actually unbiased and dont have these ridiculous expectations. I have read some of your responses and most of the time completely agree with you.. I wish there were more unbiased, and less overly critical opinions in here

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

I agree with most of this..I think the movie was dope...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think you are one of the only few people in here that watch these cartoon/comic book movies, and actually unbiased and dont have these ridiculous expectations. I have read some of your responses and most of the time completely agree with you.. I wish there were more unbiased, and less overly critical opinions in here

Appreciate that breh. I'm not overly critical because I understand that these are just adaptations of source material and I believe a filmmaker should do just that: adapt. Don't be a slave to the source material, just use it as a guide. Get the characters right first and foremost and then move on and every single character in this movie was represented correctly. If you get the characters right, I'll go with you on any ride you take me on as long as it's done well and this was done well. I also understand that I'm not the target audience for this per say...I'm 28, they're aiming this at kids who are the age now that I was when I first got into turtles. I can't be a grown ass man complaining about a kids flick. Yes they realize that dudes our age are going to see it and want to be pleased too but ultimately, they have to hit the kids.

I also realize that nostalgia clouds A LOT of our judgement because as I said before, IMO there are two good turtles movies in the franchise and now I'd add this one as a third. So all this crying over this movie before it's even come out when people hold up the 2nd and 3rd movie like they're quality cinema or even hold that 87 cartoon near and dear when it's SO tough to watch as an adult? I can't get with that man. Miss me with that shyt. The best turtles adaptation has been the 03 cartoon but because most of us were in high school when it came out, we keep bigging up the 87 cartoon like it's the holy grail when it isn't even close:sas2:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Good review. I agree about Megan, everyone trashed the casting but she wasn't bad as April. My biggest beef was Shredder's White student was a very generic bad guy. But Man Shredder was like a Video Game boss that it takes you weeks to beat. His weaponry was crazy. He was so fast.

Breh he was a boss. Almost as scary as the version from the 90s movie but he mad more in common with shredder from the 03 cartoon, even had the same foot clan symbol on his armor and he was hard body in that show

@Rayzah the other thing breh is that most of us in here love film, that's obvious but in order to truly love it i believe you have to go into every film you see with an open mind and believing that it could be good..just be neutral. The problem now with the internet echo chamber is everyone follows the mob theory and just trashes shyt beforehand. On comicbookmovie.com and most other movie sites, they're actually shocked this movie is going to be big this weekend all because THEY didn't like it so because they didn't, how could anyone else? Shyt like that bothers me and it's just so damn arrogant and misguided. If you go into a movie not wanting to like it, guess what? You won't like it

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
See and that's the thing..of course they are able to pull off more moves with CG...but that's not real..the Ninja Turtles in the original was stronger than ur natural human but they did shyt that didn't seem too impossible..it literally looked like fighting...also..I like that this new one matched the cartoons..but that's what separates the first one vs the other ones..the first one was moreso following the feel of the comics...they ones after was following the cartoons that ironically came after the first movie...which is why they are way more light hearted..it's what made the first one the best film of the series..
uhhh no it didnt, the cartoon came out in the 80's http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131613/?ref_=nv_sr_6

Appreciate that breh. I'm not overly critical because I understand that these are just adaptations of source material and I believe a filmmaker should do just that: adapt. Don't be a slave to the source material, just use it as a guide. Get the characters right first and foremost and then move on and every single character in this movie was represented correctly. If you get the characters right, I'll go with you on any ride you take me on as long as it's done well and this was done well. I also understand that I'm not the target audience for this per say...I'm 28, they're aiming this at kids who are the age now that I was when I first got into turtles. I can't be a grown ass man complaining about a kids flick. Yes they realize that dudes our age are going to see it and want to be pleased too but ultimately, they have to hit the kids.

I also realize that nostalgia clouds A LOT of our judgement because as I said before, IMO there are two good turtles movies in the franchise and now I'd add this one as a third. So all this crying over this movie before it's even come out when people hold up the 2nd and 3rd movie like they're quality cinema or even hold that 87 cartoon near and dear when it's SO tough to watch as an adult? I can't get with that man. Miss me with that shyt. The best turtles adaptation has been the 03 cartoon but because most of us were in high school when it came out, we keep bigging up the 87 cartoon like it's the holy grail when it isn't even close:sas2:

Breh he was a boss. Almost as scary as the version from the 90s movie but he mad more in common with shredder from the 03 cartoon, even had the same foot clan symbol on his armor and he was hard body in that show

@Rayzah the other thing breh is that most of us in here love film, that's obvious but in order to truly love it i believe you have to go into every film you see with an open mind and believing that it could be good..just be neutral. The problem now with the internet echo chamber is everyone follows the mob theory and just trashes shyt beforehand. On comicbookmovie.com and most other movie sites, they're actually shocked this movie is going to be big this weekend all because THEY didn't like it so because they didn't, how could anyone else? Shyt like that bothers me and it's just so damn arrogant and misguided. If you go into a movie not wanting to like it, guess what? You won't like it

Exactly!!!!!! :myman: how dare the 100's of millions of people in the world like a movie that the few hundred or thousand online (so called die hard fans) dont like.. We must be brain washed or dumb.. I have actually heard people say something like that in one of these threads :snoop: if thats the case Im glad i am so dumb and brainwashed and my tastes in movies are so low just like my IQ that I can enjoy a movie based of a comic book, a children's cartoon from 20+ years ago or a toy line, and not walk out the movie and waste my money or spend the rest of my day nitpicking it online so my fellow "die hard fans" can cosign me....

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
On CNN one box office analyst said people born in the 70's and 80's made "Turtles" a blockbuster success this weekend cause they brought their kids with them.

aREaPIhr_reasonably_small.jpeg

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The news say people born in the 70's and 80's made "Turtles" a blockbuster success this weekend cause they brought their kids with them.

Yeah I read that most people who saw it were males over the age of 25 but kids came too. I saw kids dressed up. Reminded me of a young me when I saw turtles 2

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
IDK if Im tactical enough to sneak into this after James Brown

that aside im just glad to see the turtles live on

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Breh I'm leaving the theater now.......I loved it. No complaints.

I'm extremely surprised. Great movie

What I finding funny is the people actually giving it a chance are coming out surprised and then there are people who are still holding on to the pre-release hate that preventing them from giving it a chance.

Human Torch

Byrd Gang 🦅
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly born. PG raised
What I finding funny is the people actually giving it a chance are coming out surprised and then there are people who are still holding on to the pre-release hate that preventing them from giving it a chance.

I feel like it's a mix between bay and fox being attached to it and not wanting to let go of our childhood. This didn't feel like a Bay movie (I know he didn't direct) and I think fox did a great job.

You'd really have to want to dislike this movie to actually dislike it.

Can't wait for the next one

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I feel like it's a mix between bay and fox being attached to it and not wanting to let go of our childhood. This didn't feel like a Bay movie (I know he didn't direct) and I think fox did a great job.

You'd really have to want to dislike this movie to actually dislike it.

Can't wait for the next one

Said the same shyt. If you go into this wanting to dislike it you'll dislike it. If you go in with an open mind the movie will charm the pants off of you......hopefully Megan's too.

Let go of nostalgia brehs. It's ok