Official THOR: RAGNAROK Thread

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Dug it alot.

It's "weird" at times which isn't a bad thing. Like there are comedy bits throughout, yet at the same time folks are getting mowed down quite a bit too.

When I think back to "Flash Gordon" though, villains we're impaled in that even with the goofiness that existed in the movie

Hela & Valkyrie we're both GREAT

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
The Black Panther trailer showed right before the main event, and it awesome to behold on the big screen like that. I got excited all over again.

As for Thor 3....It was good. Entertaining. I had fun.

I really enjoyed the exploration of Loki and Thor's relationship and the development between them in this. I also like the complexity of Odin. He's always been grey and I like that they delved deeper into that in this one. Still not sold on Tessa as Valkyrie. I really wanted her to knock it out of the park just on principle, but she never really came off as a natural warrior. I think if they wanted a fierce believable sista as a warrior they could have gone with Nicole Beharie or Sonequa Martin-Green. But anyway, she wasn't bad, just didn't sell it for me. Cate Blanchett looked like she was having a lot of fun. Her performance sometimes teetered on the edge of campy, but I think that's what they were going for.

For the most part the humor worked, especially
the scenes involving Loki, the Hulk, and Thor
but I think they overplayed the humor when it came to Bruce and his struggle here. They only hint at it, and it's mostly used as a punchline. I just feel like the whole Banner/Hulk situation deserves more serious treatment, especially since he's never gonna get his own movie in the MCU. I just want them to put a little more respect on it. But anyway, it Thor's movie, so there's that. Man oh man though the choice to use of humor
at the end was so wrong footed. Especially when all of the Asgardians are watching their planet get broken into literal pieces. To have some stranger on a ship makes a ham-fisted joke about no foundations to rebuild from....they really missed an opportunity to honor the gravity of the situation and set the tone for what's to come in Infinity War.

I'm gonna leave it at that because I don't really wanna deal with backlash right now. Marvel definitely has another hit, but it's not a top 5 superhero film. I don't know who is saying that. I think it's really obvious that Taika Waititi allowed folks to improvise their lines and just make up shyt on the spot. The script could have used a little tightening up.

I know it seems like I'm bashing it, but I actually did have fun, and laughed quite a bit. It's just....this is leading to something epic and darker and if this is setting the stage for IW, I'm honestly concerned about what the tone is gonna be for that movie.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reportedly there are two...

One that is important, the other that's just for jokes.
There are two . The first one is important the second is comedy . Just saw it The movie was amazing didn't expect the comedy to land so much and yet still manage to pull out thr feelings

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I can't talk about scenes from it yet can I? I mean from the trailers we know hulk and thor fight . . I was like 100 percent sure they'd flake on that ish . .
but like others have said tessa and jeff stole the stole mainly tessa . . the minute her fine ass walked into the film it increased in quality

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I surprisingly went to see this tonight.

Even more surprisingly I actually tend to agree with @TheGodling quite a bit.

This is the best thor film there's no doubt about that.

But the film is a mixed bag.

The first ~ 30 minutes is rough as hell. It feels like there was a lot of re shoots or just general post production tinkering because it's messy. Just schizophrenic pacing and editing jumping around almost incoherent at times.

That said once the film gets to hulk and goldblum the film soars. It's just flat out funny and entertaining.

The jokes are hit or miss but when they land I was laughing hard. I really enjoyed the playfulness of loki and thor. It might be my favorite part of the film. It was the first time they felt like real brothers. The snake joke had me crying. And I loved korg. I'm usually not a big cosmic fan but I loved it here.

But every time the film left that to get back to hela the life gets sucked out of the film.

She is god awful. Cate Blanchett is hamming it up and she's just flat out boring. Every time she came on screen I just wanted to get back to thor and hulk. So so bad. It's just a generic boring villain spouting generic villain lines and you never give a shyt.

Overall I can say I actually enjoyed it. It's a deeply flawed film,but it's strengths make up for its faults.

At times it feels like this was 2 different scripts slapped together. It's odd.

6.5/10

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Just saw it, pretty good:ehh:
Hela is a top 5 MCU villain. Queen Cate seemed to enjoy herself:obama:
Wasn't too impressed with Hulk's CGI though or any of the other non-human characters. Marvel think they slick cutting back on the CGI budget since they printing money with these :martin:
I'm more in love with Tessa Thompson after this. She was great:ohlawd:

Glad that Idris was the real hero in this:jordan2:
Mad at how easily the Warriors 3 got killed off in this:julius1:
Atleast Sif was still playing Blindspot so she wasn't around for Cate to kill her off
Thor lost an eye in this but I'm pretty sure he had both eyes in that D23 trailer that showed him meeting the Guardians:jbhmm:
Unless i missed him where was Hulk in that final scene when Thor sat on the throne:patrice:

The entire movie I was like this CGI is very shytty. It did take me out of the movie in some parts.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just got done seeing it. Really fun movie.

This movie is also another example of why people need to shut the fukk up with all the complaining about trailers showing too much. The "Same old Marvel formula" people are going to end up looking stupid too.

This movie was to Thor what Winter Soldier was to Captain America.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Valkryie....backshots... all day...she's bad af. Hela's camp reminded me of Posion Ivy tbh. She'd get backshots too.

Great film and the tone is the same as GOTG and a solid mix of action and comedy.

"Leisure ship for orgies"
"Don't touch anything"

Hulk got that Hooked-On-Phonics mixtape from StarLord maybe... language was much improved....

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That Dr Strange cameo might be my favorite one in the MCU.

Hulk was basically a 5 year old with unlimited power. Even some of his movements reminded me of a little kid throwing a fit.

Anybody that's a fan of the executioner character is probably going to be pissed off.

Between Tessa Thompson and Idris Elba there's a surprising amount of Black excellence in Thor Ragnarok.

I don't think the movie is as funny as some people are making it out to be. Humor is subjective, I got a few really good laughs, but it's not a straight up comedy like some are claiming.