Official The New Edition Story Thread

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
LOL had no idea about this
By this time I had been checked out on that corny show

I also had no idea how many chicks were diggin Ronnie like that, now I hear a bunch of females talking about him. I always thought him and Ricky were the funny looking ones. I remember one Funky Finger sketch on In Living Color Tommy Davidson said Ricky looked like a dolphin:russ:
they was before my time, but ronnie and ralph had all the bytches. my old ass cousins and their friends was all about them

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
This was the best biopic I've seen in years. :banderas: Too many great performances to list them all, but Bobby Brown's character was pissing me the fukk off lol. Dude must have been a real pain in the ass and that's an understatement. He had me :scust: :snoop::comeon::dame::what::beli: :why::dahell:all throughout.

This has seriously raised the bar. I didn't even know they went through a lot of that shyt.

The music industry is a fukking evil beast man. :smh:

The attention to detail is bananas. :whew:

Aight this right here fukked me up. For a sec I legit thought it was a clip from the movies. Enough people said it already in this thread but they did the damn thing with this movie

TinFoilSnapBack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just watched this whole shyt on my fire stick. Man, Ralph was a real one, and got done dirty by everyone in return. This is why I don't fukk wit nobody.

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
this movie made me look up bad recording contracts...here's some well known ones

This is how a group can sell 10 million records and be broke: They sign a slave contract that not only pays their management too large a cut of their money, but also requires that they foot the bill for every one of their expenses and retain little ownership of what they produce. Pebbles may be alleging that the women of TLC were heavy spenders, but she can’t seem to explain away the fact that each member only took home about $35,000 a year – at the height of their careers.

Soulja Boy’s career has been struggling for a while now, and part of the reason, he claims, is because of his ex-manager, Philip Ransom. According to a lawsuit filed by Soulja Boy in 2011, Ransom pressured him into signing an “oppressive” contract when he was just 16 years old. The contract gave Ransom 5% of Soulja Boy’s income forever and gave 50% of copyright ownership to the record label. But Ransom has denied doing anything wrong and even went so far as to countersue Soulja Boy for money still owed.

After two successful albums, 20 million records sold, and a handful of awards, Toni Braxton filed for bankruptcy and shocked all of her fans. Following the announcement, the media (and especially Oprah) were quick to blame her spending habits, but Toni set everyone straight when she revealed that her financial woes were really the result of a bad contract she signed with LaFace Records that took too much of her money and bankrupted her with overbearing expenses.

R&B Diva Dawn Robinson has taken a lot of heat for the (multiple) breakups of En Vogue. But Dawn says the group’s issues were less about her and more about the slave contracts that robbed them of their money for years. During an interview with Essence Magazine in 2009, she explained that the record deals were written in “Old English” and were very hard to understand. Although the women had legal counsel they didn’t know the “right questions to ask.”

When Salt-N-Pepa signed their first deal with Next Plateau Records in 1985, the women unknowingly agreed to be paid half the going cent-per-album rate with no option to renegotiate their contract no matter how successful they’d become in the future (which of course was very successful). By their third platinum album, the group members were only making about $100,000 a year each, while their management was making millions.

Ma$e has revealed a lot about the shadiness of Bad Boy contracts over the years: one shocker being that he performed for Bad Boy’s ‘No Way Out Tour’ for free 99 – until he came to his senses partway through and stopped performing. His spot on the tour was ultimately re-filled by Junior M.A.F.I.A member Lil’ Cease

Record labels giving black musicians bad record deals back in the day should come as no surprise to anyone – and according to Little Richard this was standard practice in the industry. In his biography, The Life and Times of Little Richard, the rock and roll front runner explained how it didn’t even matter how many records you sold if you were black. The record label owned all publishing rights before the record was even released; meaning successful artists were paid just as little as unsuccessful artists.

Early rap groups like Kid ‘n Play are said to have received lower cent-per-album rates because of the uncertainty of hip-hop’s long term viability in the music industry. Although that sounds like complete BS to me and an extension of the thinking that was popular during Little Richard’s time (the overwhelming majority of hip-hop artists who’ve signed record deals have been black after all), Kid n’ Play reportedly only received one percent of sales on their first album

Lil’ Kim sued her lawyers for tricking her into signing a series of branding and licensing agreements that apportioned them nearly 50% of her profits. Kim claims she had no idea what the fine print within the contracts read, but her lawyers say she’s just looking for a way out of the deals.

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
:huhldup: the record industry is shady as hell. The entertainment industry in general should be lucky there's no government regulation on them like most other industries. All that dirt they do would be deaded instantly :ufdup:

jackson35

Banned
Daps
this movie made me look up bad recording contracts...here's some well known ones

This is how a group can sell 10 million records and be broke: They sign a slave contract that not only pays their management too large a cut of their money, but also requires that they foot the bill for every one of their expenses and retain little ownership of what they produce. Pebbles may be alleging that the women of TLC were heavy spenders, but she can’t seem to explain away the fact that each member only took home about $35,000 a year – at the height of their careers.

Soulja Boy’s career has been struggling for a while now, and part of the reason, he claims, is because of his ex-manager, Philip Ransom. According to a lawsuit filed by Soulja Boy in 2011, Ransom pressured him into signing an “oppressive” contract when he was just 16 years old. The contract gave Ransom 5% of Soulja Boy’s income forever and gave 50% of copyright ownership to the record label. But Ransom has denied doing anything wrong and even went so far as to countersue Soulja Boy for money still owed.

After two successful albums, 20 million records sold, and a handful of awards, Toni Braxton filed for bankruptcy and shocked all of her fans. Following the announcement, the media (and especially Oprah) were quick to blame her spending habits, but Toni set everyone straight when she revealed that her financial woes were really the result of a bad contract she signed with LaFace Records that took too much of her money and bankrupted her with overbearing expenses.

R&B Diva Dawn Robinson has taken a lot of heat for the (multiple) breakups of En Vogue. But Dawn says the group’s issues were less about her and more about the slave contracts that robbed them of their money for years. During an interview with Essence Magazine in 2009, she explained that the record deals were written in “Old English” and were very hard to understand. Although the women had legal counsel they didn’t know the “right questions to ask.”

When Salt-N-Pepa signed their first deal with Next Plateau Records in 1985, the women unknowingly agreed to be paid half the going cent-per-album rate with no option to renegotiate their contract no matter how successful they’d become in the future (which of course was very successful). By their third platinum album, the group members were only making about $100,000 a year each, while their management was making millions.

Ma$e has revealed a lot about the shadiness of Bad Boy contracts over the years: one shocker being that he performed for Bad Boy’s ‘No Way Out Tour’ for free 99 – until he came to his senses partway through and stopped performing. His spot on the tour was ultimately re-filled by Junior M.A.F.I.A member Lil’ Cease

Record labels giving black musicians bad record deals back in the day should come as no surprise to anyone – and according to Little Richard this was standard practice in the industry. In his biography, The Life and Times of Little Richard, the rock and roll front runner explained how it didn’t even matter how many records you sold if you were black. The record label owned all publishing rights before the record was even released; meaning successful artists were paid just as little as unsuccessful artists.

Early rap groups like Kid ‘n Play are said to have received lower cent-per-album rates because of the uncertainty of hip-hop’s long term viability in the music industry. Although that sounds like complete BS to me and an extension of the thinking that was popular during Little Richard’s time (the overwhelming majority of hip-hop artists who’ve signed record deals have been black after all), Kid n’ Play reportedly only received one percent of sales on their first album

Lil’ Kim sued her lawyers for tricking her into signing a series of branding and licensing agreements that apportioned them nearly 50% of her profits. Kim claims she had no idea what the fine print within the contracts read, but her lawyers say she’s just looking for a way out of the deals.
this all falls back to managers.what are these artist doing with their tour money? little Richard was wealthy enough to buy a flock of churchs in the 60's remember he had a chance to own the beatles and the rolling stones and buddy holly and he said no. Solomon Burke was making money not only from his stage show but, he was getting a cut from the concession stand from the popcorn to pictures of himself. every situation varies with black artist

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
That was the only thing that irked me. Flat screens. The new looking cars in some scenes. Mike wearing skinny jeans in the 80s. Ricky's house looking like it was built in 2016. You can tell towards the end they got a little lazy with the setting and continuity.

I loved the series overall, but even in the beginning there was some things that had me like :dahell:.... I was a youngin at the time, but I didn't remember niiggas calling each other "son" and giving dap hugs as greetings. And if I'm not mistaken, that Caddy that Brook was pushing when they ran up on him to ask him to manage them was a lot newer than the era the scene was shot in.

b. woods

Peace
Daps
Currently on MTV Classic, they are playing an hour-block of Bobby Brown/New Edition videos. :banderas:

Last edited:

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
I loved the series overall, but even in the beginning there was some things that had me like :dahell:.... I was a youngin at the time, but I didn't remember niiggas calling each other "son" and giving dap hugs as greetings. And if I'm not mistaken, that Caddy that Brook was pushing when they ran up on him to ask him to manage them was a lot newer than the era the scene was shot in.
And the Home Again Tour in '97 had Bobby looking like it was '87. When Bobby in '97 looked like this :mjlol:

c4cfd55b2b720c03156264e868024be9.jpg