Official The New Edition Story Thread

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The way I remember it was NE's album was really anticipated more than Bobby. Don't Be Cruel and If It Isn't Love kind of climbed together with DBC reaching #1 and If it isn't Love reaching #2. But after that, the rest of the NE singles did well, but Bobby's were consistently top 5 crossover hits.

And that's end this Jodeci/BIIM myth right here. Before I started reading this board I had never heard of Jodeci being more popular than BIIM, but I've read it here several times. I liked Jodeci's music more outside of a few songs, but I always though of BIIM as being more popular. Jodeci as a group sold about 6 million records total. Boyz II Men sold about 11 million on their first album and about 18 million on their second. Both had a few #1 R&B hits, while Boyz II Men had 4 #1s on the pop charts as well.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
The way I remember it was NE's album was really anticipated more than Bobby. Don't Be Cruel and If It Isn't Love kind of climbed together with DBC reaching #1 and If it isn't Love reaching #2. But after that, the rest of the NE singles did well, but Bobby's were consistently top 5 crossover hits.

And that's end this Jodeci/BIIM myth right here. Before I started reading this board I had never heard of Jodeci being more popular than BIIM, but I've read it here several times. I liked Jodeci's music more outside of a few songs, but I always though of BIIM as being more popular. Jodeci as a group sold about 6 million records total. Boyz II Men sold about 11 million on their first album and about 18 million on their second. Both had a few #1 R&B hits, while Boyz II Men had 4 #1s on the pop charts as well.
I remember the B2M days, them dudes were the biggest thing out for about 3 years, end of the road was bigger than anything jodeci did. I wish someone would try to say it was even close

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Proud of BET. I didn't know they could make something of this quality.

I am SO excited for this movie (which I think is now a mini series, they said in one clip, but idk). I hope they do one on the original Destiny's Child. I don't think that'll come out until years from now though after Beyonce retires for the most part. They won't put any of their tea in there either, I bet.

Pretty sure most if not all of those performances are on Youtube.

A Destiny's Child biopic would have to be a miniseries as well. Remember they started out in 1990 as Girls Tyme. They don't need to wait til Beyonce retires. DC wasn't that scandalous.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
This nygga Johnny Gil was on some GODTIER shyt in his Prime. I really feel he's underrated. It's like nyggas know but they don't know. The nygga was cold man. He sounded like a grown ass man at 15.

I listen to his greatest hits on spotify on the regular.
His dance moves though:mjlol:

Catch me doing the wop to Fairweather friend though :dame:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Jodeci >> BIIM in the black community...well the black community that was 25/30 and under during their runs. No one would argue that BIIM wasnt the bigger act, they had a broader audience with white folks and people my parent's age who saw them as a continuation of the soul groups they grew up with. My parents weren't listening to no damn jodeci, but they and my aunt owned them BIIM albums. Kids also had BIIM albums, but you'd be hard pressed to find a parent buying jodeci for their 8 year old daughter.

You can't take pure sales when it comes to measuring love and impact on the black community. Toni Braxton was a huge star in the 90's but you wouldn't look twice at someone saying MJB matters more/has more love in the black community specifically (tho both, like both groups have a big black fanbase)

Last edited:

BlackSexyllence

Yeah No
Daps
Yasss!!, I'm a little late to the party, I don't reside in the U.S so had to find a connect :whistle: .....just finished watching part 1, how they redid the original album covers in like a montage form was on point man, totally blown away!!! Gonna watch part 2 tonight..

:dj2:

If you find part 2 and 3 hook a girl up with the link!

Thanks