Official The New Edition Story Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How can they NY time article from 1989 when the actual concert happen be revisionist WTF ... that was the actual review of the concert when it happened at MSG how can that be revisionist this was in the moment when it was happening and how can you say HEartbreak tour Ne was the bigger act like cmon Bobby blocked them from getting the number one single with Don't Be Cruel and My Preorgative was the number one single during the country and number one LP cmon your being revisionist by turning the Heartbreak Lp into a monster it went platinum in four months and then didn't go platinum again til June of 1994 and also don't forget they left this out of the movie Guy smoked them off the stage which lead to a huge fight and fued between them

I wish i could link the Video SOul interview with NE where they are crying about My kind of girl bricking and how they have to change there whole set and tempo but then you will say this is revisionist history also

Dude... I personally WENT to the N.E. Heartbreak tour in 88! It was the very 1st concert I ever went.... NEW EDITION was the headliner. And you pointed out yourself that the Times was dated in 1989!!! A YEAR LATER.... as I said before, The N.E. Heartbreak tour was New Edition's... the Don't Be Cruel tour was that following spring... Bobby Brown was NOT the bigger artist when his and the group's albums came out at the same time. He ended up BEING the bigger artist when it was all said and done. YOUR STATEMENT of saying that the group was leaning ON BOBBY is REVISIONIST. Not the article itself. New Edition OWNED 1988, Bobby Brown OWNED 1989.... and Don't be Cruel was the biggest seller of 1989 because it exploded that year.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
as for ralph and whether or not he couldve been bigger:

while he had the talent, and i'm sure they wouldve put the resources around him, 2 things fukked up his solo career: timing and the public's change for rnb....first was timing, he waited too late...if he wouldve dropped his solo shyt right after the 1st NE album, he wouldve been good....

with that said, the change in society fukked him more than anything...he was a straight laced gentleman rnb singer, a throwback to the older style of rnb...by the time he came out as a solo act, society/the public had started down the path of not wanting that anymore...they wanted edgy type rnb acts...that's part of the reason bobby blew up the way he did; why jodeci was accepted faster and is looked back on more favorably than b2m, even though they sang about the same shyt; why the public turned on whitney for no other reason than they thought she was 'too clean imaged' (smh); etc......but it wasnt just in rnb, that change was happening in society period from wrestling to comics to movies etc....the public started going away from clear cut 'good'/'bad' guy images/roles/etc, an starting mixing the shyt up.....

Facts

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
BBD and Bobby Brown was poppin heavy during the New Jack Swing era. By the time they came out with their second album the New Jack Swing era was basically dead.

They couldn't adapted. :yeshrug:

Jodeci and R. Kelly basically took their spot. :manny:

They really fukked up on the opportunity of the Home Again album. That album made them poppin again but I guess egos got in the way. :francis:

Yep people move on just like in hip hop:manny:

Jodeci and R kelly had next :manny:

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I keep telling people this song was better than smile again
jjqsms.jpg

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude... I personally WENT to the N.E. Heartbreak tour in 88! It was the very 1st concert I ever went.... NEW EDITION was the headliner. And you pointed out yourself that the Times was dated in 1989!!! A YEAR LATER.... as I said before, The N.E. Heartbreak tour was New Edition's... the Don't Be Cruel tour was that following spring... Bobby Brown was NOT the bigger artist when his and the group's albums came out at the same time. He ended up BEING the bigger artist when it was all said and done. YOUR STATEMENT of saying that the group was leaning ON BOBBY is REVISIONIST. Not the article itself. New Edition OWNED 1988, Bobby Brown OWNED 1989.... and Don't be Cruel was the biggest seller of 1989 because it exploded that year.

I wrote a huge response but then i deleted it it ain't worth it your right. I mean billboard charts is wrong, nelson george is wrong, Video Soul interviews that explains what happen is wrong, a NY times article deleting the actual concert from feb 1989 during the heartbreak tour is wrong.

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Well done biopic.... To be honest part 1 was losing me a bit cuz the acting started off cheesy and the commercials were a pain... Once I switched to Kodi and part 2 started i was impressed .....took me back to when i use to bug my dad to play the candy girl album on his system when I was 5.... And that "not my kind of girl" scene was on point as fukk!.... Glad they put NE back in the light again with this one.... :salute:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wrote a huge response but then i deleted it it ain't worth it your right. I mean billboard charts is wrong, nelson george is wrong, Video Soul interviews that explains what happen is wrong, a NY times article deleting the actual concert from feb 1989 during the heartbreak tour is wrong.

You going off articles in 1989... a YEAR LATER. I'm speaking from PERSONAL experience and what was hot on the streets. Bobby's 1st single was Don't Be Cruel.... it was a moderate success, but it didn't blow. It was until he released My Prerogative late in 88 was when he was beginning to bubble and soon exploded once he dropped Every Little Step in '89.... and that's when EVERYONE in the nation was on Bobby's jock! And you can say the N.E. Heartbreak tour HELPED boost his sales before his own tour came out that following year. Prior to this, Bobby Brown was struggling to be relevant whereas New Edition was established came with a new look and the hype during that summer of '88 was all on them.

For the last time Bobby Brown ENDED UP BEING the bigger star. He was NOT the bigger star when both of their albums dropped in '88. He just blew up that following year mainly off the 2nd single and the hits kept rolling.... don't be talking some BS that he ended up headlining New Editions own tour... because that is FALSE... He was the opener, followed by Al B. Sure & Keith Sweat. In fact, the concert I went to that was the EXACT order it went. Bobby opened, Al B. Sure followed, Keith Sweat was 3rd and N.E. were the closers.

If this was about 1989..... it would be no question that Bobby Brown ruled it.... he was the biggest star of ANY artist that year. But don't be talking crazy that he was ALREADY the bigger artist and was making crossover noise in '88..... it wasn't like that. It took My Prerogative for him to crossover and that was by near the END of '88 onto 89.

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You going off articles in 1989... a YEAR LATER. I'm speaking from PERSONAL experience and what was hot on the streets. Bobby's 1st single was Don't Be Cruel.... it was a moderate success, but it didn't blow. It was until he released My Prerogative late in 88 was when he was beginning to bubble and soon exploded once he dropped Every Little Step in '89.... and that's when EVERYONE in the nation was on Bobby's jock! And you can say the N.E. Heartbreak tour HELPED boost his sales before his own tour came out that following year. Prior to this, Bobby Brown was struggling to be relevant whereas New Edition was established came with a new look and the hype during that summer of '88 was all on them.

For the last time Bobby Brown ENDED UP BEING the bigger star. He was NOT the bigger star when both of their albums dropped in '88. He just blew up that following year mainly off the 2nd single and the hits kept rolling.... don't be talking some BS that he ended up headlining New Editions own tour... because that is FALSE... He was the opener, followed by Al B. Sure & Keith Sweat. In fact, the concert I went to that was the EXACT order it went. Bobby opened, Al B. Sure followed, Keith Sweat was 3rd and N.E. were the closers.

If this was about 1989..... it would be no question that Bobby Brown ruled it.... he was the biggest star of ANY artist that year. But don't be talking crazy that he was ALREADY the bigger artist and was making crossover noise in '88..... it wasn't like that. It took My Prerogative for him to crossover and that was by near the END of '88 onto 89.

If It Isn't Love - Wikipedia

I was there too homie and know plenty of members in each camp and i know people in AL haymon's camp

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@krazykid18

Since you don't believe anything from someone who LIVED IT and need documented source from that time period. Here's an LA TIMES article on Bobby Brown during the cusp of him blowing up. This was around the time when My Prerogative dropped.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-20/entertainment/ca-219_1_b-obby-brown

Bobby Brown--Life After New Edition : More Mature and Happy Being Himself
November 20, 1988|DENNIS HUNT

Bobby Brown is dead

That's what kids were saying two years ago when the young soul singer left the vocal group New Edition.

They didn't mean dead musically, but literally dead. There were rumors about Brown being killed in a car accident, others about him dying of a drug overdose.

It turned out that reports of Brown's death were greatly exaggerated.

"Imagine people saying you're dead," said Brown, who's very much alive--particularly on the charts, with a Top 10 album, "Don't Be Cruel," and a recent Top 10 single of the title song. "Sure, the rumor upset me. But you have to laugh it off. What else can you do?

"Imagine somebody coming up to you and saying they thought you were dead. It's different from other rumors. After people are saying you're dead, what else can they say?"

pixel.gif

Brown (who opens for New Edition tonight, Wednesday and Thursday at the Forum) found out. The follow-up rumor was that he was alive but seriously strung out on drugs.

"I wasn't on drugs," insisted Brown, 19. "Whoever started that drug rumor may have started the one about me being dead. People still ask me about (the drug rumor)."

One reason for the rumors was most of his fans couldn't believe a 17-year-old would willingly walk away from one of the world's most popular groups.

"Fans don't understand," Brown said. "They see you with all this fame and they know you're making money. So why would anybody leave a situation like that? I just wanted more. I wasn't satisfied. I wasn't happy."

It was New Edition's brand of bubble-gum soul that bothered Brown most.

When Brown (who started singing at age 3) and four buddies started the group in Boston's Roxbury district in 1980, it was a Jackson 5 clone. New Edition's promising singles on a New-York indie label led to an MCA Records contract. In 1984, the group's first big hit single, "Cool It Now," had everyone convinced this indeed was the second J-5.

"I didn't want to be the second anything ," Brown snapped. 'I wanted us to be different--to be individuals, not copies."

The other members have burst out of bubble-gum soul with their current MCA album, "Heart Break," but they weren't ready to make the move a few years ago--though Brown was.

"That music wasn't right for me after a while," Brown said. "I wanted to do more grown-up stuff. I wanted to go on my own, to explore a different kind of music."

In soul-music circles, the word was that there was bad blood between these childhood pals for a long time after the split. According to reports, the rift was mended last year. But Brown contended there was no messy split and that he and the other members have always been buddy-buddy.

"There was no real bad conflict when I left," he insisted. "Groups always have conflicts and problems. That's the way things are. But nothing that bad happened when I decided to leave."

pixel.gif

The way Brown (who also records for MCA) started his solo career, it looked like his decision to leave New Edition was a mistake. His first solo album, "King of Stage," was an ill-conceived mess.

Brown doesn't have a strong, imposing voice, but it is full-bodied, has an appealing warmth and can be convincingly emotional. But on that album, he still sounded like an unschooled teen. His big single from the album, "Girlfriend,' was strictly kid stuff--not even good kid stuff.

Teen audiences didn't flip over "King of Stage" either. In retrospect Brown recognizes its flaws--lack of focus, inconsistent production and mostly inferior material.

On the "Don't Be Cruel" album, it's obvious that Brown has matured as a singer. His voice is deeper--devoid of that pubescent shrillness. No one is yet ready to say he's the next Marvin Gaye or Sam Cooke, but he's certainly one of the most promising young soul singers to surface in the last few years.

Brown's position on the bill on this New Edition tour could be a sore point. He's the opening act--preceding not only New Edition, but arch-rival Al B. Sure!

A singer with a Top 10 pop album, a recent Top 10 single and another fast-rising single ("My Prerogative") really shouldn't be third on a bill of artists who are basically his peers.

"I don't feel bad about it," Brown said without much conviction. "It's a chance to play in front of a lot more people than I could if I was the headliner."

What happened is that, when the tour was first planned, Brown's album wasn't as popular as it is now. He's outgrown that third spot but he's stuck there for the rest of the tour.

Is it awkward for Brown to be on a bill with his former group?

"No," he replied. "We're buddies. It doesn't make me feel mad or bad or inferior to open the show for them. I want to headline my own shows, but I can wait."

You could sense Brown was just being diplomatic and that he had a lot more to say than those gentlemanly words.

"That's right," he said. "But it's not the right time to say some of these things. But when the time is right . . .

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
WIKIPEDIA!??? I'M DONE! You wasn't there during that period. Probably too young or wasn't even BORN.... as I said go read the LA Times 1988 article and go to bed.

You are one of those arguing to argue type you said DOn't be cruel was a moderate success while New Edition had this big success i just linked you to a chart that New Edition biggest single in 1988 was blocked from becoming number one by the "moderate success" single. Then you a post a fukking article that when the tour started Bobby was the opening act ok, by the second leg of the tour in dec 1988 he is CO headlining and closing the show with New Edition doing Mr. Telephone Man .

What are you telling us nobody said Bobby was bigger than them when the tour started but in 2 months he was and he was co headlining and was the main attraction of the tour.shyt what you highlight contradicts your whole statement since his Lp was platinum and Don't be cruel single was already number one with My Prerogative coming so how was it "Moderate success" .. my bad you know cuz you were there

But im give you what you want you are Right