Official The New Edition Story Thread

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They were only getting $100,000 collectively for each show on that Home Again tour? :wtf:

I remember that Home Again tour being a big deal even with all the fukkery during the tour. I would've thought they were getting $100,000 a piece.

shyt they were selling out NBA arenas

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not goin' off of articles tho'... I agree with the article cause I remember the shyt as it happened. Between '90-'92, if it was an NE member, it was all over the radio/TV... every member. But R&B changed, breh. But then, those follow-ups weren't as good as the first ones, and people were on to new stuff. I'd even say BBD kinda became victims of their own influence- a lot of groups came out doing what they were doing in '90, so by the time they came back out, they didn't stand out anymore (also see: Das EFX post-'92).

styles change bur Boyz to Men had song like Bending Knees, I'll Make love to you straight simp anthems Jodeci second LP was super simp Love of my life and Cry for you begging the era didn't change that much the songs on there followup LP were garbage, Bobby's problem wasn't NJS changing it was the cardinal sin he should have never got married because the samething happen to Usher females lose interest and go somewhere else no matter how dope the material is. R. Kelly never let nobody know he was married
disagree with a lot of this, it was commonplace to have 2-4 years between albums back then - look at janet's albums, whitney, michael. shyt, back then an album cycle was ~12-24 months its damn self. they simply ran out of juice/got replaced...they were a decade in by then, losing steam by then is part of the game.

Janet sold seven mil and came back out in 89 after dominating 87, whitney sold 14 mil in 85 was out in 87 with her second Mike Jack sold 8 mil with Off the Wall in 79/80 by late 80/81 Mike Jack had trimuph with his bros and then released thriller WHAT ARE YOU SAYING nobody in Heartbreak NE sold close to those numbers to take off for 3yrs especially

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Janet sold seven mil and came back out in 89 after dominating 87, whitney sold 14 mil in 85 was out in 87 with her second Mike Jack sold 8 mil with Off the Wall in 79/80 by late 80/81 Mike Jack had trimuph with his bros and then released thriller WHAT ARE YOU SAYING nobody in Heartbreak NE sold close to those numbers to take off for 3yrs especially
tlc - top of 92 debut, follow up end of 94
swv - 4 years between albums
xscape - 2-3 years between albums
tony toni tone - 2-3 years between albums
mint condition - 2-3 years between albums
jodeci - 2 years between albums
guy - 2 years between albums
r kelly - 2-3 years between

need i go on? that's what i'm saying. TAKING 2-3 YEARS BETWEEN PROJECTS WAS NOT UNCOMMON regardless of whether you were a platinum urban act or multi plat pop star. plus add in the fact that a lot of black artists had big songs on soundtracks that extended their relevance while they didn't have a new full album out.

edit: and janet took from 89 to 93 btwn rhythm nation and janet, mike bad, dangerous, and history were all 4 years apart...like i said, that timeframe people took time between albums

Last edited:

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
funny thing about BBD is they're the only portion of the group still worth seeing. i saw NE in concert about 4 years ago, and as a collective they were horrible, bobby was just sad and even johnny sounded bad. but when bbd did their set the sound and choreography was on point, dudes looked like they were still 21 years old hitting their dances. i tip my hat to them, they clearly worked hard to overcome their shortcomings in vocal talent
Yeah I think Bobby just doesn't take care of his voice because sometimes he sounds good others terrible. I thought he sounded great on sway.

Last edited:

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh and that album BOBBY- UNDERRATED. nothing but gems. Humping around, Storm away, good enough. A lot of people slept on that album

kind of slept on it it just didn't do DBC numbers it sold 4 mil and he had a huge tour off it it just wasn't DBC and really to be honest the forever LP had some of his best ballads on it just didn't have an real good uptempo songs with the exception of happy days

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
styles change bur Boyz to Men had song like Bending Knees, I'll Make love to you straight simp anthems Jodeci second LP was super simp Love of my life and Cry for you begging the era didn't change that much the songs on there followup LP were garbage, Bobby's problem wasn't NJS changing it was the cardinal sin he should have never got married because the samething happen to Usher females lose interest and go somewhere else no matter how dope the material is. R. Kelly never let nobody know he was married

Maybe I'm not explaining it right...

Of course people were still making what you call 'simp anthems'... but the sound was different, the look was different, the artists were different. Those BBD/JG/RT albums, in addition to not bein' as good as the previous albums, also sounded like they were still in '90/91. shyt changed a lot in just that bit of time. As dope as "Poison", "Sensitivity", and "Rub U The Right Way" were, if they had dropped those in '93 instead of '90, none of them shyts woulda hit because the music just wasn't in that mode anymore. And those songs off those follow-up albums probably woulda worked better in '90 than '93. People were on to other things. Boyz II Men were more an exception than a rule, and by then, I'd even say their pop audience was stronger than their R&B audience was.

EffedUp

Pugs get lonely too...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cincinnati, OH
Man... since when the fukk did streaming services have the Heart Break (Expanded Edition) album?!?! I'm about to go feast on these mixes :wow::wow::wow:
I'm saying. I've been listening to some NE during the week and didn't see these at all (I use Spotify). They must have added it last night. They got expanded versions for New Edition, All For Love & Home Again as well. :wow: