Official The Many Saints of Newark Thread

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
I liked the movie for the most part. The Black storyline felt like a peace offering to offset the Black characters on the show; maybe this was a criticism that ate at Chase. :yeshrug:

I thought they should’ve done more to support the Junior killing dikkie. I get that he was jealous and offended by the laughing but that needed to be fleshed out more imo
I feel like Chase did as much as he could without force feeding it to the viewer. Johnny scolding Junior about how things were ran when he was gone and how dikkie stepped up after his father's death unlike him, Livia telling him Tony only listens to dikkie and Junior talking to him would be a waste of time. People kept building a chip on his shoulder and the fall and laugh was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's funny because it's the exact same thing Livia did to turn Junior against Tony in the show.

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation
I feel like Chase did as much as he could without force feeding it to the viewer. Johnny scolding Junior about how things were ran when he was gone and how dikkie stepped up after his father's death unlike him, Livia telling him Tony only listens to dikkie and Junior talking to him would be a waste of time. People kept building a chip on his shoulder and the fall and laugh was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's funny because it's the exact same thing Livia did to turn Junior against Tony in the show.
:ohhh: So I'm assuming Junior breaking his back is what led him to becoming a master of eating p*ssy
200w.gif
200w.gif
:mjlol:

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
ray liotta dying then coming back in the movie in jail had me fukking crying.

they did the same thing in the show with the actor who played Patsy. They wacked his original character but liked him so much they brought him back as his twin brother.

whats dikkie’s relation to tony? just some Italian family shyt?
Tony end up marrying dikkies cousin Carmela

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Them Reddit cacs are so mad Harold swag surfed all over the mafia dudes :russ:

Of course they are. The fact he laid pipe to the chick must have been a major insult to injury too. :mjlol:I won't even bother to read incel caccit's forums on this but I already know the usual shyt they're saying.

They wanted it to be more like the series. Because of the time period, they were probably hoping for more mulignan and tidzoon(?) slurs to be said in every other sentence while the black characters were either dumb or docile and don't say shyt back. fukk 'em. Black gangsters always stood tall and fought back.

They especially hate to see black male masculinity and intelligence. Harold would have fitted right in in Godfather of Harlem. :myman:

Last edited:

bigillwill06

All Star
Daps
This shyt was piff. The past 5 years of racial prejudice against blacks might of made chase either wise up and g ii ven a new respect for our struggle because the black storyline was handled with care and respect almost overly so compared to his previous work. I mean Harold was almost untouchable in this. Young tony was a lot more innocent than I thought now u really see why in his 40s a grown killer who still has a soft spot and empathy especially for innocent creatures like the animals from the series he always loved and cries over. Dude was NOT meant to be in the mob and even Silvio knew this early on. It was the environment that turns Tony into the “skipper” and even as a grown man he can’t escape his true personality, and u see the trauma and split his mafioso persona had created. The sad clown…..

Last edited:
Daps
Of course they are. The fact he laid pipe to the chick must have been a major insult to injury too. :mjlol:I won't even bother to read incel caccit's forums on this but I already know the usual shyt they're saying.

They wanted it to be more like the series. Because of the time period, they were probably hoping for more mulignan and tidzoon(?) slurs to be said in every other sentence while the black characters were either dumb or docile and don't say shyt back. fukk 'em. Black gangsters always stood tall and fought back.

They especially hate to see black male masculinity and intelligence. Harold would have fitted right in in Godfather of Harlem. :myman:

I don’t know if chase was thinking on this level but it’s really a cultural referendum. Black people in those days were militant and operating on a grass root level. A Harold, having his mind warped by a sense of Black Pride mantra of the day even on a criminal level, was more likely to go to war compared to the blacks of The Sopranos day. Chase makes it a point to show that black people of the show’s time are so enamored by the Mafioso aura due to music & movies that they’ll settle with being bafoons

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
You can tell that dikkie had a TREMENDOUS influence on Tony during those years Johnny was in prison.

dikkie's scenes with his uncle were a direct parallel to Tony's sessions with Dr. Melfi.

Frank Lucas' attire was a direct contrast to his character in "American Gangster". In AG, he hated the flashy look. For a sec, I thought Harold was meeting with Nicky Barnes :mjlol:

We always knew the actor who played Sil was wearing a wig, but I never knew the character was intentionally wearing one as well :russ:. He even had it on while he was in a coma.

Last edited: