Official THE LITTLE THINGS Thread

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Things in this movie I didn’t quite buy:

1. Why were the other cops so easily coerced into covering up a murder? Especially the autopsy lady. Families can always order an independent autopsy. Seems far more risky than admitting he killed her by mistake.

2. Couldn’t understand why Ramj’s character was so smitten with Denzel in the first place.

3. Rami getting in the car with Jared Leto makes no sense to me. Nor does him digging all those holes with his back to him. They did that just to create tension but it wasn’t believable

Rami got in the car like he was the one being held at gunpoint :mjlol:
He had the gun and could have easily made Leto dig the holes :mjlol:
Could have told Leto to slow down until Denzel caught up.

I’m like “:dahell: who has the gun here?”

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Okay…..a day later, I’m not AS pissed and can look at this with a bit more clarity. :pachaha:

I think that was the point. Which they heavily implied throughout the futility of it all.

That’s the problem with the trailer/marketing. The trailer makes you think the movie is about catching a killer and it’s not per se, the movie is about an obsession with a killer to clear a conscience, not for justice. If Rami were the protagonist, it would have been about catching a killer for justice, but Denzels character needs his guy for personal reasons. It doesn’t have to be “the guy”, it just needs to be a guy believable enough to satisfy his conscience. The girl at the beginning seemed important but eventually Denzel realizes there isn’t enough to get anyone. I think it just showed that there was a killer and it wasn’t Denzel.

Someone else astutely pointed it out earlier in the thread, but the main focus of the flick wasn’t really the murder case; it was the conscience of the cops. And we did get resolution there.

That’s fine, I get ALL of that. Initial emotional response aside, I get that. Really, I do.

But there are too many points in this movie which were useless or didn’t fit:

Jared Leto’s entire purpose in this movie is just about useless. He ISN’T the killer – so why goad the police at every turn? Okay so, he’s a crime buff who has a police scanner in his apartment and who likes to investigate crimes. Okay so, he once confessed to a murder he didn’t commit. Okay so, he “gets off” on seeing murdered women. But him goading Baxter at the end and acting like there was a body out in that deserted area was completely pointless and unnecessary because HOW EXACTLY did he THINK that would end? At what point in the movie did we ever get the impression that Sparma was suicidal and wanted the cops to kill him....or conversely, at what point in the movie did we get the impression that this guy would prefer to spend his life being a thorn in the cops' side? Like, how did Sparma THINK things would end with him leading Baxter on a wild goose chase like that? Did he think the cop would be happy with him goading him and threatening his family like that? After making him dig up all those holes and cajoling him about how he knew so much about his family, did he think Baxter would just say “forget it” and take him back and leave him alone after that? And the whole thing with Exit 467 and the “villain returning to the scene of the crime” scenario….what was Sparma trying to accomplish with that? We’re left with the premise that Sparma not only got off on seeing dead women’s bodies, but that he also got off on making the cops think that he was the murderer…and his motivation was simply that he was an introvert who liked toying with the police? Where's the EXPLANATION for that?

^^^So THAT'S what bothers me so much about it.

3. Rami getting in the car with Jared Leto makes no sense to me. Nor does him digging all those holes with his back to him. They did that just to create tension but it wasn’t believable

Rami got in the car like he was the one being held at gunpoint :mjlol:
He had the gun and could have easily made Leto dig the holes :mjlol:
Could have told Leto to slow down until Denzel caught up.

I’m like “:dahell: who has the gun here?”

ALL of these…..seriously, Baxter in no way shape or form should have been digging those holes HIMSELF or at no time turning his back on a guy he thought was a murderer.

I don’t need to be “spoonfed” a movie’s premise…but damn, at least connect SOME dots along the way.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I’ve never understood the thinking - when/where if not much happens in a film some people will say they needed to add another 30/45 minutes - to flesh things out.

This movie did not need another 30 minutes. It actually needed to cut 10-15 minutes. It needed to be a tighter movie. It becomes an even more laborious task if you add runtime to this particular film.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

1. Why were the other cops so easily coerced into covering up a murder? Especially the autopsy lady. Families can always order an independent autopsy. Seems far more risky than admitting he killed her by mistake.

2. Couldn’t understand why Ramj’s character was so smitten with Denzel in the first place.

Denzel talm bout he'll be back in a few hours only to show up late the next fukking morning was hilarious to me.

Rami digging up more holes than Shia LaBeouf out there :gucci:

Last edited:

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
mfs hop on the bandwagon to hate bc it wasn't a popcorn action-thriller.

I thought it was decent enough, midway thru it did start to drag tho. that's where they could've cut 10 out or had better direction

I give it a 6.5 out of 10

Max.

Banned
WOAT
Daps

Rami might have been a homo

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
why would you even bring up Memories of Murder? :dead:
Because only true patricians have already seen it
pARf5Km.png

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Okay…..a day later, I’m not AS pissed and can look at this with a bit more clarity. :pachaha:

That’s fine, I get ALL of that. Initial emotional response aside, I get that. Really, I do.

But there are too many points in this movie which were useless or didn’t fit:

Jared Leto’s entire purpose in this movie is just about useless. He ISN’T the killer – so why goad the police at every turn? Okay so, he’s a crime buff who has a police scanner in his apartment and who likes to investigate crimes. Okay so, he once confessed to a murder he didn’t commit. Okay so, he “gets off” on seeing murdered women. But him goading Baxter at the end and acting like there was a body out in that deserted area was completely pointless and unnecessary because HOW EXACTLY did he THINK that would end? At what point in the movie did we ever get the impression that Sparma was suicidal and wanted the cops to kill him....or conversely, at what point in the movie did we get the impression that this guy would prefer to spend his life being a thorn in the cops' side? Like, how did Sparma THINK things would end with him leading Baxter on a wild goose chase like that? Did he think the cop would be happy with him goading him and threatening his family like that? After making him dig up all those holes and cajoling him about how he knew so much about his family, did he think Baxter would just say “forget it” and take him back and leave him alone after that? And the whole thing with Exit 467 and the “villain returning to the scene of the crime” scenario….what was Sparma trying to accomplish with that? We’re left with the premise that Sparma not only got off on seeing dead women’s bodies, but that he also got off on making the cops think that he was the murderer…and his motivation was simply that he was an introvert who liked toying with the police? Where's the EXPLANATION for that?

^^^So THAT'S what bothers me so much about it.

ALL of these…..seriously, Baxter in no way shape or form should have been digging those holes HIMSELF or at no time turning his back on a guy he thought was a murderer.

I don’t need to be “spoonfed” a movie’s premise…but damn, at least connect SOME dots along the way.

Actually we really DON'T KNOW.... there's too many COINCIDENCES that can suggest otherwise. But nothing that's certified, and Sparma (Leto's character) was trolling the entire time. The only thing with Sparma is that he's a sick man that saw this as a game, and he too became a bit obsessed in playing this game with the detectives. I don't think Sparma cared one way or another. He just was enjoying the thrill of being the suspect and enjoyed trolling them in everyway possible. There's no rhyme or rationality to his intentions because he's a sick man. It did not help that BOTH detectives were so obsessed in pinning this on him that may have pushed the trolling further, they pretty much help encouraged it and without really realizing how much he enjoys it. And really this was all Detective Baxter's fault, because he could of just taken the L two days prior and allow the FBI take over. But he wasn't going willing to go down like that and convinced himself that Sparma was the serial killer. And Sparma may have BEEN based on the coincidences that too hard to ignore.