Official THE LITTLE THINGS Thread

Daps
That’s fine, I get ALL of that. Initial emotional response aside, I get that. Really, I do.

But there are too many points in this movie which were useless or didn’t fit:

Jared Leto’s entire purpose in this movie is just about useless. He ISN’T the killer – so why goad the police at every turn? Okay so, he’s a crime buff who has a police scanner in his apartment and who likes to investigate crimes. Okay so, he once confessed to a murder he didn’t commit. Okay so, he “gets off” on seeing murdered women. But him goading Baxter at the end and acting like there was a body out in that deserted area was completely pointless and unnecessary because HOW EXACTLY did he THINK that would end? At what point in the movie did we ever get the impression that Sparma was suicidal and wanted the cops to kill him....or conversely, at what point in the movie did we get the impression that this guy would prefer to spend his life being a thorn in the cops' side? Like, how did Sparma THINK things would end with him leading Baxter on a wild goose chase like that? Did he think the cop would be happy with him goading him and threatening his family like that? After making him dig up all those holes and cajoling him about how he knew so much about his family, did he think Baxter would just say “forget it” and take him back and leave him alone after that? And the whole thing with Exit 467 and the “villain returning to the scene of the crime” scenario….what was Sparma trying to accomplish with that? We’re left with the premise that Sparma not only got off on seeing dead women’s bodies, but that he also got off on making the cops think that he was the murderer…and his motivation was simply that he was an introvert who liked toying with the police? Where's the EXPLANATION for that?
^^^So THAT'S the part I don't get.

Remember Leto confessed to a murder years ago to fukk with the cops. That’s who he was. That’s the explanation. He wasn’t involved in this current case at all until Denzel made a ridiculous leap in logic to lock in on Leto as the prime suspect. Leto was likely punished for that fake confession stunt and spent years just watching on the sidelines and not fukking with cops until Denzel starts fukking with him...it’s like an addict who has fallen off the wagon; he got a taste again and was enjoying it.

That’s one underrated thing this movie did: it has the audience believing that Leto is the one fukking with the cops, but it’s really the cops who were fukking with Leto! Every single thing Leto did to fukk with the cops was in reaction to the cops fukking with him. There were NUMEROUS points at which Denzel/Robot could’ve accepted the fact that Leto wasn’t guy and moved on and that would’ve been it. Instead they tailed him, arrested him, staked out his apartment, broke into his apartment, staked out his apartment some more...you expecting Leto to just grin and bear that shyt? Robot explicitly told Denzel that he wasn’t going to stop watching Leto until he could arrest him and took solace in his belief that at least no one else would get killed. Denzel/Robot were obsessed by this point. A normal person would just file a complaint but because Leto is a weirdo he is secretly enjoying it and relishing in the opportunity to troll the cops.

So as far as what he expected from the final scene, he expected to get Robot mad after digging all those holes but finally accept that Leto wasn’t the guy. Obviously he didn’t appreciate how far he was pushing Robot, and lost his life, but that was the goal: to get Robot to finally accept the fact that Leto isn’t their guy and leave him alone. I do agree that the writer’s od’d with the trolling by having Leto talk on Robot’s family.

One final point: The guy who killed himself may not have been the killer either... he could’ve just been Denzel’s Leto from the earlier case. Denzel may have leaned too hard on that guy. Put his weirdness on blast and ruined his life with his harassment. Then when Denzel pops up again, he dreads having to go through another ordeal with this nut cop and just offs himself.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Movie was interesting... surprised it wasn’t as good as it should have been. I feel like Denzel and Leto coulda had way more chemistry... :yeshrug: it’s def a stream flick. Nothing to think about afterwards besides that cops stay covering for each other :manny:

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
Just watched Don't Let Go and this movie back to back yesterday. both heavily flawed but i liked the one and didn't like the other. :ehh:

Don't Let Go was captivating from the start with a good pace and a predictable, but a nice surprise. just a decent superficial fun.

the Little Things was slow, confusing, and just left me a sour taste in my mouth. Just a bad attempt to try something different.

Raimi is so damn limited. all I could see was a Mr. Robot and his awkwardness. He is Adriene Brody status.

Denzel felt too Denzel to me. Wish he mixed it up a little.

so it's the little things that makes a movie good enough to grab my attention for 2 hours. and it's the little things that makes you want to question director's motive and wondering myself how to make this movie better.

:manny:

Morethan1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
I watched this, palmer and outside the wire this weekend and I would say I rank this 3rd.

I had really high expectations for this movie and it disappointed.

Not a bad movie just disappointed