Official The Irishman Thread

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I got a couple theories. 1. As a show of faith, a way of promising De Niro that he wasn’t going to get killed or set up in Detroit and that he would return safely. Or 2. It would look suspicious to Hoffa if De Niro was wearing shades. He didn’t want Hoffa to suspect a thing. Not wearing shades makes you look more “sincere” if you will

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Was thinking if those nods to GoodFellas were purposefully done or just coincidence...

Off top the “Pretend you don’t see her” song playing

the guy getting his ass kicked for touching a loved one

any others?

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
The shades part was put there on purpose so everyone can have their own theory and discussion. That's the genius of Scorsese. I'll rock with someone who said it was to give that "sincere look". Frank was wearing them cuz he was being emotional about the situation and usually when people are teary eyed they wear shades to hide the fact.

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Best Scorsese movie ever and people know how I hold Goodfellas in high regard and as his masterpiece. This surpassed it. Too many great scenes and moments to name. The way Russ told him "If these people can take out a President....". The tension and lead up to some of these scenes were just crazy. The Gallo shooting was shot fukking brilliantly. Man I'm exhausted.
Sorry breh but thats just recency bias. Not even close to goodfellas but its a good movie nevertheless.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Why the long pause in the hotel room when Pesci + wife came to meet frank + wife. They leave the hotel and the camera lingers in the empty room. Next scene is Pesci making the salad explaining to Frank “we did everything we could for the man”

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Not gonna read through this whole thread just wanna know yalls opinions on

Why did Russ take franks sunglasses before he got on the plane to kill Hoffa?

Ps. Y’all know frank didn’t really kill gallo right?

I feel like he did it so he had to look him in the eyes.
Thats ya man hunnid grand but you gon look him in the eye and do it :ufdup:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
great movie... but not even top 5 Scorsese for me. Scorsese the goat director.... its between him and Kurosawa imo

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I noticed the glasses thing too, I think the explanation of assuring his safety makes the most sense, a nice touch, I didn't think of at the time. Kind of while yes, we are killing our friend, and your close friend, we are not killing you.