Official The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
At first I was a bit put off by the ending, but I like it the more I think about it:

I think the house will only leave them alone temporarily, I don't think it was ever stated that they were constantly being haunted after the first desertion.

The way I see it is that the house will :cook::eat: on victims for a while until it gets :feedme:. So after eating their mom it was good for a while until it got hungry for more. Nelle suffered because she herself was timetravelling to warn herself, it wasn't actually the house doing it - I think her twin (forgot his name) WAS being haunted by tall dude which is why he suffered the most (because he took the dude's hat).

I think it didn't really feast on Nelle because she was a 'good' spirit shown in the final episode when she helps all of them and warns them from becoming one with the house. The dad DID choose to join the house, which is why the house left them alone after that.

From the look of MY BAE Carla it doesn't seem like she's content in that final shot, they make it a point to have her glancing directly at the camera on some :demonic:

They're also happier because they've become a family again, which means they might be less prone to hauntings. As kids they got fukked up because the parents didn't believe them and their mom was going crazy. As adults they got fukked up because they turned on each other and the dad deserted them.

The only thing I still didn't really get is:

Breh's speech made the house seem way less evil than it really is, maybe they wanted to go for the angle that the house is simply a force of nature instead of a malicious spirit but the speech was a bit too in the middle whereas the house should be and is the villain of the show.

Nah, it was definitely the house causing the time traveling stuff....the house itself can fukk with time/space....remember the mom's vision of her kid's talking about their future? Remember how the mother seen her daughter dead, in the future?

The mother (and by extension, the house) is what killed Nell. She also tried to kill Luke (remember she appeared to him and told him "come home" when he was having visions of being stalked by the tall cane dude?).

So nah, it's not a matter of constantly fukking with them for 20 years....but it came back for them after 20 years. There's nothing to indicate the house would leave them alone, but according to the creator this is a legitimately happy ending and the Crain story is over. :dahell:

And yeah, the house is evil. And not just from ghosts obviously. Ghosts ain't gonna warp reality and/or cause time traveling. Which is another reason the ending didn't make any sense. The Dudleys made it seem like dying in the house was a good thing. Ok cool you get to see your daughter/wife but nothing up to that point made it seem like dying in or around the house was beneficial to it's victims.

So I dunno breh. The creator had one ending in mind and changed it at the last minute, which is why a gang of shyt doesn't add up.

Fred.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Nah, it was definitely the house causing the time traveling stuff....the house itself can fukk with time/space....remember the mom's vision of her kid's talking about their future? Remember how the mother seen her daughter dead, in the future?

The mother (and by extension, the house) is what killed Nell. She also tried to kill Luke (remember she appeared to him and told him "come home" when he was having visions of being stalked by the tall cane dude?).

So nah, it's not a matter of constantly fukking with them for 20 years....but it came back for them after 20 years. There's nothing to indicate the house would leave them alone, but according to the creator this is a legitimately happy ending and the Crain story is over. :dahell:

And yeah, the house is evil. And not just from ghosts obviously. Ghosts ain't gonna warp reality and/or cause time traveling. Which is another reason the ending didn't make any sense. The Dudleys made it seem like dying in the house was a good thing. Ok cool you get to see your daughter/wife but nothing up to that point made it seem like dying in or around the house was beneficial to it's victims.

So I dunno breh. The creator had one ending in mind and changed it at the last minute, which is why a gang of shyt doesn't add up.

Fred.

You're right
I forgot about the mom seeing the future.

That Dudly shyt while breh was talking about love and fear was sappy and weird, the house literally killed their daughter and they made it a point multiple times that they're only there during daytime so they won't see ghosts but suddenly they're staying around for their daughter and indeed sacrificing themselves.

Got me disliking it again, I fukked with the build-up though- the house going into the kids minds was dope and creepy as fukk.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You're right
I forgot about the mom seeing the future.

That Dudly shyt while breh was talking about love and fear was sappy and weird, the house literally killed their daughter and they made it a point multiple times that they're only there during daytime so they won't see ghosts but suddenly they're staying around for their daughter and indeed sacrificing themselves.

Got me disliking it again, I fukked with the build-up though- the house going into the kids minds was dope and creepy as fukk.

The original ending was exactly the same....except at the end when you see the Crains chilling on Luke's anniversary of being clean....The Red Room window is in the back ground. Because that was the clue (that nobody noticed, not until the last ep) that all those random rooms (Theo's dance room, Steve's game room, Olivia's reading room, etc.) all took place in The Red Room. The rooms looked different but the same window was there.

So the season was supposed to end with them still trapped in The Red Room. Which makes all the sappy stuff ok because it was intended to fool you....but at the last minute the creator was like "nah, it's too dark and depressing" so he just took the window out, but left the happy stuff in there. Which by itself, obviously doesn't fit the rest of the series.

Regardless, dope season over all and it's pretty much guaranteed there's gonna be a season 2 at some point. Apparently without the Crains....which is dumb to me but :manny: whatever. If he's smart he'll bring a couple of them in (Theo is an obvious choice, since she's psychic) and then maybe in a later season he can get back into what happened to them.

Fred.

Soymuscle Mike

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Forgot to mention it but I :heh: at the scene with Steve's wife at the fertility clinic where she realized he jacked off

Legit thought it was this too until they revealed it was about him

having had a vasectomy and never telling her. The test would've immediately exposed him.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
episode 5's ending :to::wow:

edit :
I was wondering why she turned around to her mother with her hands and arms in that position... I just rewatched the scene.

she had the rope in her hands letting the audience know whats up briefly before the illusion went back up and showed her taking and putting the "necklace" on:mjcry:

Last edited:

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I wish I had been able to finish ep 6 in one go

thought I could go 30 minutes and finish the rest later but it sucked me in :wow::wow: will edit my thoughts of it in later

Daps
I liked the bent neck lady scene at the end of ep 5. And a few of the scares were good.

Everything else I felt was cliche as fukk and extremely predictable.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I liked the bent neck lady scene at the end of ep 5. And a few of the scares were good.

Everything else I felt was cliche as fukk and extremely predictable.
you thought abigail actually being alive was predictable?

gotta admit I took it at face value she was a ghost so long that it took the dad showing what happened for me to finally realize she was alive:skip:

I paused and :ohhh: the dudley's did only live ten minutes walking distance from the house and luke often played alone. she was sheltered but curious about the family but didn't want to be seen by everyone in case they told her parents.

Soymuscle Mike

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Spoilers:

Cliffs:

-The house isn't a maze
- Olivia is watching her kids grow up
- The mold in the house is connected to their mental disintegration
- Luke legit died for a bit in the final episode, unlike the other kids who just had visions
- Nelle/Olivia did not commit suicide, Poppy/the house 'pushed' them. They were more susceptible than the others because of their insecurities.
- Olivia put the buttons on Nelle's eyes in the funeral home
- Carla Gugina is bae

Last edited:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
So I finally finished this show. WTF?

Ending was so fukken dramatic.

What is this white nonsense?

Finished this show with the :beli:face.

Serves me for watching supernatural bullshyt. Show fell apart imo.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
i thought this show was extremely dope.....til the last 2 eps. It went from amazing to good real quick for me. The ending was a tad too happy for me. After all that shyt it ended on some "the house taught us the power of love" shyt and had me :dahell: was very strange to me. Still give it a 8/10 tho cuz i was hoooooooked on this shyt.
Spoilers:

Cliffs:

-The house isn't a maze
- Olivia is watching her kids grow up
- The mold in the house is connected to their mental disintegration
- Luke legit died for a bit in the final episode, unlike the other kids who just had visions
- Nelle/Olivia did not commit suicide, Poppy/the house 'pushed' them. They were more susceptible than the others because of their insecurities.
- Olivia put the buttons on Nelle's eyes in the funeral home
- Carla Gugina is bae

didnt even hit play but my god is carla gugino a fukking masterpiece of a woman. Jeez

Soymuscle Mike

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
i thought this show was extremely dope.....til the last 2 eps. It went from amazing to good real quick for me. The ending was a tad too happy for me. After all that shyt it ended on some "the house taught us the power of love" shyt

Especially now that they're confirming that the house basically
murdered Olivia and Nelle.

Ties into what @hex has been saying, it all makes sense with the OG ending but falls apart once they took that out.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Scrolled they fast to avoid spoilers....to say....me n my girl started watching. This shyt is fukking fire

Where you been fam?

Also peep "Homecoming" on Amazon. It's directed by Sam Esmail, the creator of "Mr. Robot". 10 episodes and each ep is only 25-30 minutes long. It's crack.

Fred.