Official The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor Thread

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Mike Flanagan talking about episode 6. It's insane what they did to film this episode.

I had no idea they built an entire, real house to film in. And they built the funeral home set connected to Hill House specifically for the shot where Hugh Crain suddenly appears back in the house. :wow:

Also the shot towards the beginning of the ep where the camera pans around in the funeral home and you see the Crain family as kids....they just had the kids run into the scene while the camera was on the father, and then the adult actors ran back after the camera panned around.:mjlol:

Fred.

Children of Men is filmed like that, the actors should get some hazard pay for that matrix dodging they were doing in the car scene.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just started watching, what type of person embalms their own sister?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Children of Men is filmed like that, the actors should get some hazard pay for that matrix dodging they were doing in the car scene.

"Children Of Men" had a bunch of shorter tracking shots edited to make them seem longer. The car scene alone was like 4-5 different scenes edited together.

What makes the tracking shots in episode 6 so impressive is, none of it is edited together. It's literally damn near 20 minutes of nonstop filming in some parts. :wow:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
THiS BETTER BE GOOD.

I will tell you point blank I wasn't feeling the ending at all but episodes 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9 are dope as fukk. The others range from good to great. And 5 and 6 in particular are some of the best TV I've ever seen in my life.

Fred.

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
I will tell you point blank I wasn't feeling the ending at all but episodes 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9 are dope as fukk. The others range from good to great. And 5 and 6 in particular are some of the best TV I've ever seen in my life.

Fred.
I liked how E1 ended, it wasn't Bad. I like the tone, it sorta got better as the Episode went on. I thought it was going to be Corny at 1st.

+Carla Gugino:noah:

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps
How are people saying this shyt had a happy ending?

the father killed himself so the kids could leave. How is that a happy ending?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How are people saying this shyt had a happy ending?

the father killed himself so the kids could leave. How is that a happy ending?

Because the house left them alone after that, which doesn't make any sense. The house had beef with that family for like 20+ years, if it was content with a few of them dying the series wouldn't exist. It wanted them all.

Then on top of that the creator came out and said the original ending was them still being trapped in The Red Room, which would've been dark as fukk but #1 would've fit with the rest of the series and #2 would've set up a season 2 nicely.

So....yeah. I wasn't feeling the ending at all. Still a great series though.

Fred.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
At first I was a bit put off by the ending, but I like it the more I think about it:

I think the house will only leave them alone temporarily, I don't think it was ever stated that they were constantly being haunted after the first desertion.

The way I see it is that the house will :cook::eat: on victims for a while until it gets :feedme:. So after eating their mom it was good for a while until it got hungry for more. Nelle suffered because she herself was timetravelling to warn herself, it wasn't actually the house doing it - I think her twin (forgot his name) WAS being haunted by tall dude which is why he suffered the most (because he took the dude's hat).

I think it didn't really feast on Nelle because she was a 'good' spirit shown in the final episode when she helps all of them and warns them from becoming one with the house. The dad DID choose to join the house, which is why the house left them alone after that.

From the look of MY BAE Carla it doesn't seem like she's content in that final shot, they make it a point to have her glancing directly at the camera on some :demonic:

They're also happier because they've become a family again, which means they might be less prone to hauntings. As kids they got fukked up because the parents didn't believe them and their mom was going crazy. As adults they got fukked up because they turned on each other and the dad deserted them.

The only thing I still didn't really get is:

Breh's speech made the house seem way less evil than it really is, maybe they wanted to go for the angle that the house is simply a force of nature instead of a malicious spirit but the speech was a bit too in the middle whereas the house should be and is the villain of the show.