Official The Expanse Thread

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
:smh: Syfy fukked up crazy. Whats the point of having an app and online streaming if you're going to set such a strict time limit to view old episodes? I'm a new viewer. You just started season 2 and I can't watch a single full episode from season 1. Terrible.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
The Earth scenes are still my least favorite, mainly because politics isn't my thing. It was cool seeing Ashur from Spartacus pop up as a new character though :gladbron:.

Alec's dad from Continuum as well, he was one of the Mars captains :ehh:

Earth and Mars on the brink of war, while the real threat is the possible alien life-form. I kinda forgot what role the OPA plays in everything from last season.

Scientist dude not giving a fukk about the belters when it came to his research :yeshrug:

Amos still the best character on the show. When he finds out Naomi is smashing Holden :lupe:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I love the show but I hate their ship designs.... :scust: So primative and crude... All this tech and they still using rockets boosters?!!?

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I love the show but I hate their ship designs.... :scust: So primative and crude... All this tech and they still using rockets boosters?!!?

The rockets don't just move the ship, they also simulate gravity for the people inside.

If you read the justification behind it, its almost brilliant. Basically, they're trying to depict the near future without violating the known laws of physics too badly. There's no unexplained "artificial gravity" fields like you would see on almost every other spaceship show. And they're not going with rotating ship sections like you would see in something like Babylon 5 or 2001.

Instead, the ships are designed like vertical towers that stand on top of the rocket engine. As long as the engine is firing, the ship is accelerating forward with 1g of acceleration. So if you're standing on the ship (with the engine under your feet) then gravity acts almost exactly as if you were standing on Earth. But if the engine gets hit in battle and cuts off, then the ship stops accelerating forward and everything on the ship goes weightless.

The longer they're flying, the faster they keep getting. So when they calculate that they're half way to wherever they're going, the entire ship flips around and starts flying engine first to slow down until they stop at their destination.

Its 1g of acceleration forward , followed by 1g of "braking" to slow down.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
The rockets don't just move the ship, they also simulate gravity for the people inside.

If you read the justification behind it, its almost brilliant. Basically, they're trying to depict the near future without violating the known laws of physics too badly. There's no unexplained "artificial gravity" fields like you would see on almost every other spaceship show. And they're not going with rotating ship sections like you would see in something like Babylon 5 or 2001.

Instead, the ships are designed like vertical towers that stand on top of the rocket engine. As long as the engine is firing, the ship is accelerating forward with 1g of acceleration. So if you're standing on the ship (with the engine under your feet) then gravity acts almost exactly as if you were standing on Earth. But if the engine gets hit in battle and cuts off, then the ship stops accelerating forward and everything on the ship goes weightless.

The longer they're flying, the faster they keep getting. So when they calculate that they're half way to wherever they're going, the entire ship flips around and starts flying engine first to slow down until they stop at their destination.

I get the science behind the ships construction but I just question how come it appears technology has advanced so much but ship design in their universe is still a crude building of interstellar travel.

I mean artificial gravity generators shouldn't be that wildly exotic in their universe they already explained they have one on the first space station we saw. I just wished they expanded on advances in tech. I mean we already have alien life knocking on their door, they basically created a hive mind to disseminate the information and analyse it which I saw in the last episode...

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I get the science behind the ships construction but I just question how come it appears technology has advanced so much but ship design in their universe is still a crude building of interstellar travel.

I mean artificial gravity generators shouldn't be that wildly exotic in their universe they already explained they have one on the first space station we saw. I just wished they expanded on advances in tech. I mean we already have alien life knocking on their door, they basically created a hive mind to disseminate the information and analyse it which I saw in the last episode...
I'm new to the show. But from what I've read, every piece of tech in the show is supposed to be something created already or practical in theory. So they're not going to "expand" on something just for the sake of a plot device...I think...again I'm new to this

Ezra

Daps

This is only 200 years in the future. Human technology can only go so far in that amount of time. Especially when it comes to shyt in space.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State

That's why I like the show. Everything feels plausible.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Science hasn't really advanced all THAT much on the show. Even the "drones" they have flying around are still using propellers.

There's no artificial gravity on the space stations. Its all just rotation. The entire Ceres asteroid was set up to spin so fast that people on the inside stick to the "floor" upside-down. There's a scene in the first or second episode where a bartender pours a drink and the liquid flows into the cup in a curved path off to the side. That's supposed to be because of the rotation effect.

I'm not sure if something like that would work in real life without having everything just fly off the asteroid, but that's the show's explanation.