Official 'The Eternals' Thread

Conz

Superstar
Daps
you didn't read the comics. X2 is the most faithful X-men movie of the lot.

first class > X1, DoFP? :picard:

first class a film where everyone ex mags and prof X were their comic characters in little more than name only.
i'm not a comic guy, so i don't give 2 shyts. First Class was the only Xmen movie i remember leaving very happy. i was on a Matthew Vaughn high though and have never watched it since. X1 isn't good. never was. very average. i actually think the Japanese Wolverine movie may have been decent, but don't remember a damn thing other than a ridiculous villain at the end.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Curious.. what would you rate say...... Age of Ultron?
everytime i think of it, is sinks lower. loved it leaving the theater then realized over time it wasn't very good. it's bottom tier mcu. probably like the... 7th or 8th worst? I think the tide has turned on that one though, most people seem to shyt on it these days.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
people look at comic con and all these announcements expecting shyt to go into production immediately, like next day immediately.

Nobody expects that.. or at least i don't. But look at Blade. Was announced July of 2019. Still no script. 2025 is probably the best case scenario... That's 6 years :mjlol:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
:ehh: so we agree

i think the DCEU, fox or those saturday morning cartoons are more your style :hubie:
my entire comic book hero background is playing the occasional video game, catching the occasional cartoon episode, knowing a lot simply from pop culture, and seeing all the old comic based movies. i'm happy i'm not burdoned with all the comic book knowledge, i'd probably nitpick shyt 100x more. but as i always say, the comic readers barely matter. most people are mcu movie fans, so they can do whatever the hell they want at this point, even if it pisses off the small chunk of comic loyalists.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
my entire comic book hero background is playing the occasional video game, catching the occasional cartoon episode, knowing a lot simply from pop culture, and seeing all the old comic based movies. i'm happy i'm not burdoned with all the comic book knowledge, i'd probably nitpick shyt 100x more. but as i always say, the comic readers barely matter. most people are mcu movie fans, so they can do whatever the hell they want at this point, even if it pisses off the small chunk of comic loyalists.

the comic book nerds are what make the MCU the mcu :blessed: and the rest ... well .. the rest :scust:

appreciate :ufdup:

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Nah... nerds generate the buzz for these movies to be successful. Casuals only care about these movies because of our social media chatter. We can make or break these movies.:wow:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
the books are just loose outlines at this point :yeshrug:

how would you know ? MCU stays faithful to the nerds. that's the difference .

"Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige Tried To Keep X-Men Faithful To The Comics
Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige worked to keep 2000's X-Men faithful to the comics, even though he was just a production assistant at the time.

There was pushback to being faithful to the comic. Kevin Feige [Donner’s production assistant on the film] was right there in the midst of all of that. He didn’t have as big of a voice back then, but he was careful and faithful about the characters and reminding us, ‘Hey, you can do that, but here’s where the character came from. Here’s where their powers started. So keep that in mind as you go do that.'"
Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige Tried To Keep X-Men Faithful To The Comics Back When He Was Just A Lowly Production Assistant

"Visual Development bosses discuss why sticking to the source material matters to Marvel Studios

“Sometimes the ideas come from the directors or producers, who are really focused on being true to the source material. Other times, we’ll be the ones sort of saying, ‘Hey, maybe if we did this, we could actually spin this just subtly,’ and then it’ll work for the story that they want to tell. It kind of just boils down to sort of, at every level, the fans at Marvel Studios want to be true to the source material as long as it works for the story that’s being told.

“Me and Ryan, we grew up with Marvel Comics,” adds Park. “That was my main thing that I grew up with. I’m a fan of Marvel Comics. Kevin Feige, he’s a Marvel Comics fan, so he knows the source material. And so many of our directors, [Ant-Man franchise director] Peyton Reed, he was a Marvel Comics fan as well. I think because you have people who love and respect this source material, as much as possible, we don’t want to deviate.

Some deviation, however, is necessary, as it’s not always possible to keep every element of the comics in the silver screen adaptation. “Depending on the story,” Park notes, “that’s when things will get adjusted and won’t be one-to-one source material, but it’s always true to the spirit of what Jack Kirby, and Stan Lee, and [Steve] Ditko, and so many amazing artists throughout the decades have created.”

There’s a famous story about Marvel boss Kevin Feige back when he was an associate producer on the first X-Men. Feige, in his first producing gig, insisted that Hugh Jackman’s hair needed to be bigger if fans were really going to buy into the actor as Wolverine. In all their years on the Vis Dev team, I wondered if Meinerding and Park have had similar moments as they were designing MCU characters.

“There are a couple,” says Meinerding. “For me, it was Cap’s ears. On [The Avengers], we had the notion was not necessary. It wasn’t gonna work. It was gonna make him look a little goofy. On [Captain America: The Winter Soldier], I focused all of my energy on trying to create the concept art that’s gonna allow me to have the helmet get tight enough to his head that his ears are gonna be able to be exposed and make it work.

“I don’t know if anyone actually registered that, that was looking at my concept art, how passionate I was. It sounds like a really silly, stupid thing to say like, ‘Cap’s ears have to be exposed!’ But that was a thing I was pushing as hard as I possibly could.”

The next priority for Meinerding was taking care of Spider-Man when he came home (via an agreement with Sony) to Marvel Studios. “With Spidey, it was the John Romita Sr. eyes. It was sort of like I was going for the John Romita Sr. eyes to justify having emotive eyes. So having that black border be thick enough to change shape and also be expressive. I only did one head design and that was it.”

Park wasn’t quite as successful in his bid to keep a trademark element from the comics. “Mine’s more like a failure” Park says with a laugh. “I did a lot of concept designs for Scarlet Witch and you know she’s got that iconic, weird headdress that has no real purpose. I knew we couldn’t really do that because what purpose does it have? But I did do one concept where I was like, ‘Maybe just a headband,’ as a nod, but sometimes you do these things knowing you’re just doing it for yourself for fun.”

What starts out being “just for fun” could eventually end up in the MCU. With Scarlet Witch reportedly getting her own limited series on the Disney streaming service, perhaps that headband will make it on screen after all.

There may be some concessions, but by and large, what Marvel Studios has given us are remarkable representations of who these characters are (and what they wear) in the source material. That’s what happens when films are made for fans, by fans.
"

Visual Development bosses discuss why sticking to the source material matters to Marvel Studios

vivre la difference :wow:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
OK with exactly 100 reviews the RT score is 63%. Too close to call with like over 100 more due in but I think it after 100 the score is pretty settled and Fresh is likely. :whew:
that was a close one :whew: we may actually have to watch the movie now to say that its trash :mjcry: