Official 'The Eternals' Thread

Niggthaniel Essex

13th Floor/Growing Old
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Imagine being a regular ass person in the MCU world.

Theres a billionaire industrialist that has a suit of armor that's powered by a clean energy reactor that fits in your hand and he absolutely refuses to share it with the world.

Occasionally a green monster shows up and destroys a city.

Their version of the CIA was covertly taken over by their version of Nazis

fukking aliens invaded New York

An out of control AI almost caused an extinction level event.

nikkas in Africa have flying cars and bullet proof clothes.

Half of the fukking population disappeared then came back 5 years later.

A giant fukking alien Celestial pops out of the Indian Ocean, got turned to stone and now is just fukking there.

An even bigger Celestial just fukking shows up in low earth orbit over London then disappears

fukk being a regular ass person in the MCU.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
People put too much emphasis on Rotten Tomatoes critics scores and I really wish that this trend would stop. I'm not excited about The Eternals and I plan on skipping it, but if you want to go see the movie, go see it and judge it for yourself on whether it was good, bad, or just okay. As Charles Bronson once said, "We don't make movies for critics, since they don't pay to see them anyhow."

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
given the rising numbers of heroes and the limitations of the film format I think that at some point the MCU will increasingly move to disassociate the films from each other. and will find some way to justify that for the strict marvel film logicians.

starfox was an avenger and if the actor is good that gives us room for a starfox/thanos movie.

early MCU also had tacked on credit scenes which did 99% of the connecting.

i just think that we need to wait to see where this is all going.

people didn't know the path forward way in phase 1 and I don't see why we need to have it now.

i could happily watch an MCU which never includes the x-men (for example) as long as the movies are good.

saying all of that I think FF are more important and a better narrative fit for the the MCU than the x-men anyway.

I mean I get it.

MCU cant build a universe then be mad at us when we feel this added nothing to said universe, especially after everything prior to this, even Shang Chi adding something.

But this. MCU set this precedent.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was solid. It just felt unnecessary.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
. . . he was a good character but I have an issue with him. They gay stuff was handled well until they kissed. It was tacked on and it was the movie playing to the woke crowd. It was completely unnecessary. Everyone understood what was going on when they showed his significant other and the kid, that was enough BUT what I did not like was this niqqa looked bad as a super hero. Lose some fukkin' weight my guy. You don't have to go all out like Kingo did but damn go on a diet at least. He looked bad and almost ruined his action sequences because he looked so ridiculous in his super hero outfit being all tubby. That was more embarrassing for him than the gay stuff IMO.
when he was running around and manifesting shyt in his hands, he looked goofy as fukk

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
Only gripe i have is this

I understand the Avengers are disbanded
and that Shield, Wakanda, Sword and various government agencies might be slow to get this information..and slower to respond
i get that

But them damn Wizards shoulda been 1st on the scene with sling rings man:stopitslime:
A giant world ending titan is bursting forth from the earth and Dr Strange(supreme protector of earth against wild shyt like this!) is nowhere to be found?:stopitslime:

Should have saved that Wong cameo for this movie instead of wack ass Shang-chi frfr:yeshrug:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Only gripe i have is this

I understand the Avengers are disbanded
and that Shield, Wakanda, Sword and various government agencies might be slow to get this information..and slower to respond
i get that

But them damn Wizards shoulda been 1st on the scene with sling rings man:stopitslime:
A giant world ending titan is bursting forth from the earth and Dr Strange(supreme protector of earth against wild shyt like this!) is nowhere to be found?:stopitslime:

Should have saved that Wong cameo for this movie instead of wack ass Shang-chi frfr:yeshrug:
the answer is always "you'll find out" why so and so wasn't around. i guess that could be, but yea, Strange is aware of all Earthly threats. He knew Loki was simply walking the street, but didn't know a planet sized (these 2 were completely inconstent size wise btw) cosmic robot was rising from the ocean?

"he was probably in the multiverse of madness at the time." shrug, sure whatever

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
This will be the quintessential question that everyone will ask at the end of every Marvel movie/tv show from here on out.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This will be the quintessential question that everyone will ask at the end of every Marvel movie/tv show from here on out.
I mean I enjoy suspending my disbelief for these but comic readers of comic books know outside characters are not showing up because "It's not their comic." Not sure why this isn't translation to the movies.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It was solid. Not great. My biggest gripe is, this honestly didn't need to be made. Like this is a totally skippable movie in the Marvel Universe. No other Marvel movie is skippable, even Thor 2 (maybe Ironman 3 is skippable); and I know many of us didn't watch it including me; but then we were confused about Ragnarok which directly lead to Endgame. This doesn't setup anyone. I wish it told us more about Phase 4, Phase 5...X-Men, F4, because we know the future of the MCU is galactic yet nothing establishes that yet...Spiderman 3 is supposed to??? Don't get me wrong Spiderman 4 is probably gonna be the best MCU movie since infinity war, but Spiderman 3 will probably be able to stand alone as it's own movie too.
That is a horrible mindset to have about a film.
Whether it connects to the next Ant-Man or not really shouldn't be a factor. Just judge the film on its own merits.
Because I can honestly tell you that not a gotdam bit of negligible connective tissue to the greater MCU in Thor 2 was worth sitting through those 2.5 hours of bullshyt.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I mean I enjoy suspending my disbelief for these but comic readers of comic books know outside characters are not showing up because "It's not their comic." Not sure why this isn't translation to the movies.
Because the MCU set up this "it's all connected" conceit and started making a majority of movies that were basically team up films for the last couple years s they got audiences into the mindset of asking why Iron Man showed up in that Spider-Man movie but nobody from the greater MCU is popping up when the world is ending in the Thor or Captain America movie.
Plus the comic book readers are a miniscule portion of the audience going to see these movies.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
That is a horrible mindset to have about a film.
Whether it connects to the next Ant-Man or not really shouldn't be a factor. Just judge the film on its own merits.
Because I can honestly tell you that not a gotdam bit of negligible connective tissue to the greater MCU in Thor 2 was worth sitting through those 2.5 hours of bullshyt.

How is it horrible when that's been Marvel's modus operandi for 13 years?

I said it was a solid film otherwise, but now they're switching an expected formula. I love Marvel films, they make solid content, but I'm not gonna go along with everything they do lock step. They broke from a tried and true formula, and it's leaving fans disappointed. That's a valid criticism. Not "horrible" in any shape or form.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Because the MCU set up this "it's all connected" conceit and started making a majority of movies that were basically team up films for the last couple years s they got audiences into the mindset of asking why Iron Man showed up in that Spider-Man movie but nobody from the greater MCU is popping up when the world is ending in the Thor or Captain America movie.
Plus the comic book readers are a miniscule portion of the audience going to see these movies.
I mean we are 26 movies in now, shouldn't people be used to Random super heroes not just showing up?