Official 'The Eternals' Thread

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw the movie, I'd probably say its a 7/10. I don't think the over the top hate is warranted for the movie, but its also not in the top half of Marvel movies, imo. The post credits will be the biggest aspect talked about with this movie for most people. 1st hour is definitely a slow draw. The action in the movie was decent. I have no idea how the Eternals will play out with the MCU bigger picture, but this movie introduced a good amount for the future w/ it all unknown.
I'm guessing the director wanted to put the sex scene in it to really emphasize the love between Ikarus and Sersi and him doing what he does at the end? The whole Sprite in love with Ikarus angle was weak. Makkari was dope and put in work in the fight scene. The fight of Thena/Phasto/Makkari vs Ikarus and their powers was cool.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Point taken.

I'm not saying each preceding movie has to be a commercial for the next, but considering MCU has done the best of any film franchise ever connecting films, nothing in here subsequently links it to future films. What I mean is, after you watch, you won't have to rewatch again and be like, damn that's why they did that. MCU is great at linking movies without saying i have to go back and rewatch something again to get what happened.

Even knowing the Fox acquisition was done after this was greenlit, it would've been nice to have a nod to Galactus, the X-gene, Apocalypse, Titan's destruction, Reed Richards existence, maybe Phastos machinations giving way to Kang's technology, Celestial presence in Captain Marvel's crosshairs. There was nothing but seemingly Mahershala Ali's voice in an end credit. Eros is underwhelming, I'm sorry.

given the rising numbers of heroes and the limitations of the film format I think that at some point the MCU will increasingly move to disassociate the films from each other. and will find some way to justify that for the strict marvel film logicians.

starfox was an avenger and if the actor is good that gives us room for a starfox/thanos movie.

early MCU also had tacked on credit scenes which did 99% of the connecting.

i just think that we need to wait to see where this is all going.

people didn't know the path forward way in phase 1 and I don't see why we need to have it now.

i could happily watch an MCU which never includes the x-men (for example) as long as the movies are good.

saying all of that I think FF are more important and a better narrative fit for the the MCU than the x-men anyway.

ShaneTheRogue

Roguelike
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
Caught the 9 o'clock showing. This was mid at best. My date fell asleep an hour in and I was staring at the screen unengaged through most the runtime.

Bland characters and meandering plot. A few decent fight scenes but not enough for the price of admission. Probably the least funny Marvel movie. The comedy was very kiddy even by Marvel standards, which made it even more cringy considering the "epic" and "serious" tone of the rest of the movie.

Icarus vs. The Eternals is what Superman vs. The Justice league should have been.

Overall I can't really tell you anything but a very basic outline of the plot nor tell you very much about any characters' personality and struggle to recall most of their names. This def should have been a disney+ series. It would have gave all the exposition room to breath and would have allowed to the characters to show more personality.

This is above Thor 2 and maybe on par with Capt. Marvel(give or take) to me. Bottom 5 Marvel movie for sure.

I didn't bother to even stay for the after credit scenes.

Disclaimer tho. I was lit asf watching it and will eventually give it another chance sober.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Caught the 9 o'clock showing. This was mid at best. My date fell asleep an hour in and I was staring at the screen unengaged through most the runtime.

Bland characters and meandering plot. A few decent fight scenes but not enough for the price of admission. Probably the least funny Marvel movie. The comedy was very kiddy even by Marvel standards, which made it even more cringy considering the "epic" and "serious" tone of the rest of the movie.

Icarus vs. The Eternals is what Superman vs. The Justice league should have been.

Overall I can't really tell you anything but a very basic outline of the plot nor tell you very much about any characters' personality and struggle to recall most of their names. This def should have been a disney+ series. It would have gave all the exposition room to breath and would have allowed to the characters to show more personality.

This is above Thor 2 and maybe on par with Capt. Marvel(give or take) to me. Bottom 5 Marvel movie for sure.

I didn't bother to even stay for the after credit scenes.

Disclaimer tho. I was lit asf watching it and will eventually give it another chance sober.
Yeah, I think this may be the first time an MCU origin movie didn't go out of it's way to make you like the protagonists. Like they present them so you understand their motivations but it stops there.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah, I think this may be the first time an MCU origin movie didn't go out of it's way to make you like the protagonists. Like they present them so you understand their motivations but it stops there.
Yeah i didnt care about anyone in this, and after a decade+ of the world being on the verge of destruction every movie the plot was more of the same lol

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I like what they did overall with the Celestials but . . .
With Sersei and Dane in London and the sky just opens up and takes her is fukkin' weird. I did not like that. They should have done that like immediately after they stopped the birth of the other Celestial and made it they just floated to space and skipped the head hovering over the entire planet. Shyt looked bad FX wise.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Hmmm . . . too soon for a world ending event after End Game? I can actually understand that to.

yeah MCU cant force us to suspend belief that a world ending event is happening avd everyone else in the universe just chilling lol. Shang Chi wasnt a world ending event so it isnt an issue being in its own self contained space. This maybe would have been more effective on another planet and just use it as an allegory for human history. Nothing they showed about the deviants sold me on the established heros not being able to take them out thus why should I care about the Eternals.

this seemed like a totally random flick that just named dropped Thanos so they can say its MCU.

MCU cant build a universe then be mad at us when we feel this added nothing to said universe, especially after everything prior to this, even Shang Chi adding something.

it woulda been more impactful if the Eternals met the GoG + Thor in the post credit

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
So how cringey was paper boi?

Hollyweird couldn’t resist doing this to the only black male character
. . . he was a good character but I have an issue with him. They gay stuff was handled well until they kissed. It was tacked on and it was the movie playing to the woke crowd. It was completely unnecessary. Everyone understood what was going on when they showed his significant other and the kid, that was enough BUT what I did not like was this niqqa looked bad as a super hero. Lose some fukkin' weight my guy. You don't have to go all out like Kingo did but damn go on a diet at least. He looked bad and almost ruined his action sequences because he looked so ridiculous in his super hero outfit being all tubby. That was more embarrassing for him than the gay stuff IMO.