Official The Batman Thread

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I stayed out of this thread completely, but this shyt was mid to me. 6/10.

The action scenes and fight scenes were incredible. They nailed Batman's entrance and the fear he engenders in the people he confronts, but it's undermined because it's kind of inconsistent. The movie wants to give a nod to that Prime, mid-career Batman that has the streets of Gotham completely shook, but then shows him taking licks from randos like early career Batman. I don't have a problem with either, but it felt like pick a lane. Or give a nod to the tech and planning superiority of Batman where he just overwhelms opponents psychologically through misdirection and theater. The score also became annoying because IMO this Batman hadn't arrived yet to justify that dread implied in his theme.

I never liked Catwoman and Batman episodes in the animated series or comic book, so I'm not surprised I didn't like it here. It felt like it crowded out Bruce Wayne significantly here. Like this movie was a sequel not the 1st in a reboot. Zoe looked fine as fukk though.

The corruption theme and links between elites and gangsters was the most interesting thing here, but again got crowded and silly with the Catwoman angle.

Thematically this shyt felt empty too. The best superhero movies to me are when the hero has to struggle with some choice or overcome some obstacle that's kept blocking them. Didn't feel like that was the case here. Batman & Bruce came through really flat.

And I'll take my L as a fan of the Nolan movies, but the exposition was so damn distracting.

Last edited:

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
So many internet Siskel and Ebert’s trying nitpick minor shyt. :mjlol:

If you think you can do better go make your own.

This is the quintessential Batman movie.

This was absolutely the best Batman movie I’ve ever seen. I got goosebumps watching this joint. That chase scene :ohlawd: Batman not being so polished made it so much more interesting. Also I always said you got to be a psychopath to be Batman and Robert played that so well.

A+ movie. I liked it more than TDK.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
So I thought they based the score on Somethings In The Way, but according to Matt Reeves, he was just bumping that song while concepting the movie since the lyrics captured Bruce well and when he noticed the leitmotif happened to be damn near identical he jumped all over that shyt.

Daps
I’ve been running that Can’t Fight City Halloween track back like crazy since Friday.

That score mixed with Bat’s internal monologue in the opening was
:whew:

Bruce put the fear of god in them street thugs just from having them looking in shadows. One of the best openings to a Batman movie since TDK

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The action scenes and fight scenes were incredible. They nailed Batman's entrance and the fear he engenders in the people he confronts, but it's undermined because it's kind of inconsistent. The movie wants to give a nod to that Prime, mid-career Batman that has the streets of Gotham completely shook, but then shows him taking licks from randos like early career Batman. I don't have a problem with either, but it felt like pick a lane. Or give a nod to the tech and planning superiority of Batman where he just overwhelms opponents through misdirection and theater.
Those aren't mutually exclusive though.

Even at this point, early on in his career, he's known as this vigilante that beats people's ass and when the signal shows up in the sky, someone's about to get that work.

Taking a couple of licks doesn't negate the fact that Batman gets the best of them at the end.

When did Batman become this unbeatable character that never gets touched?

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those aren't mutually exclusive though.

Even at this point, early on in his career, he's known as this vigilante that beats people's ass and when the signal shows up in the sky, someone's about to get that work.

Taking a couple of licks doesn't negate the fact that Batman gets the best of them at the end.

When did Batman become this unbeatable character that never gets touched?

My thing was they almost did the fear of Batman too well. They had brehs choosing not to go down obvious escape routes because they weren't well lit :mjlol:. Criminals choosing to stay under the street lights on main thoroughfares...that shyt went hard as fukk!

But then you get to the end and you're like "So no one else in Gotham has a story of putting Batman on their ass w/ a shotgun?" :ld:

You'd think Batman had already arrived as some demigod like he is midcareer the way they were acting. The reaction of the dudes on the subway platform ("You want some freak?") was most consistent with what I'd expect for Batman at that point in his career. They coulda leaned into him growing his rep more (like the scene with the Penguin...who the fukk is this crazy motherufcker??? :damn:)

I'm actually fine w/ a young Batman getting his ass kicked a little bit. Having to go back in the lab, and then figuring out how to deal with guns, fighting multiple opponents at once, etc. All the shyt that had him as a demigod midcareer. They kinda went in that direction w/ the journal, but that would have been dope as fukk. Figuring out the psychology of how to beat 10 dudes by having 5 run off in fear at making your presence known, surprising the next 2, and beating the last 3 straight up.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
This was dope.

hate they already introduced Joker, the person in that cell, they could’ve picked ANYONE else

Zoe can have all my babies

Loved the darker riddler, and how he basically pulled off everything he wanted except what 1 thing.
He looked like Two Face to me