Official The Batman Thread

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Also

Did anyone else wish Falcone was telling the truth about Thomas Wayne? IDK, I just thought it would've been more interesting if Bruce found out that his father really wasn't as perfect as he thought he was and had to struggle to still be a symbol of hope and not lose his ideals in spite of that. Don't get me wrong, the hospital scene with Alfred defending Thomas Wayne's honor was powerful but it also felt like a bit of a cop out.

Yes, all of this. It did feel like a cop out. I actually think there are a few scripts for this movie. They probably screen tested the first way and got too much pushback and so they wimped out and went the other way. I have no proof but there were rumors last by year about screen tests and negative reactions to this particular storyline.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, all of this. It did feel like a cop out. I actually think there are a few scripts for this movie. They probably screen tested the first way and got too much pushback and so they wimped out and went the other way. I have no proof but there were rumors last by year about screen tests and negative reactions to this particular storyline.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm also wondering if the 3rd act was forced in by the studio because they were freaking out about how small the scale of the film was and wanted a big budget set piece in there.

I DO really like Batman's ending monologue though about the importance of not just getting revenge but also inspiring hope. I just feel like there could've been a more grounded and more seamless way of doing that. Maybe him just saving the Riddler's final targets instead of this huge arena thing that we got

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As far as comparing this to Nolan, I do think Reeves is a much more creative filmmaker and visual stylist as far as creating a distinct tone and mood (absolutely loved that intro establishing the fear Batman strikes in criminals), also love the film noir aesthetic. But I still think Nolan does a better job at introducing big ideas and exploring them in a way that feels complete and not half assed. The Batman has a lot of great ideas but doesn't quite explore them as thoroughly and seamlessly as what Nolan did.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Just saw it for the second time.

Enjoyed it even more, as I got a chance to focus on things I missed the first time, but that make perfect sense now.

My son went with me this time and he’s an avid Spiderman fan and he agreed with me, this was way better than No Way Home.

Really dope movie :ehh:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm also wondering if the 3rd act was forced in by the studio because they were freaking out about how small the scale of the film was and wanted a big budget set piece in there.

I DO really like Batman's ending monologue though about the importance of not just getting revenge but also inspiring hope. I just feel like there could've been a more grounded and more seamless way of doing that. Maybe him just saving the Riddler's final targets instead of this huge arena thing that we got

I really don't understand the discontent with the arena scene that so many people have. It felt necessary to me for several reasons. It was the Riddler's grand finale, he was building up to something. In that way too it felt like such a comic book scene. It was also important that Batman saw how widespread and damaging his image was. He was evoking not just the Riddler but many others to be violent in the name of vengeance. It also gave him a chance to transcend past vengeance and help those who vulnerable in another way. I also love how it brought out the true character of others like the new mayor and catwoman. I think that helped Bruce too. To see there was still hope and care that hadn't been tainted. Ha, I guess I liked this part more than I realized. His ending monologue about becoming something more wouldn't have hit as hard or true without him going through that crisis.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really don't understand the discontent with the arena scene that so many people have. It felt necessary to me for several reasons. It was the Riddler's grand finale, he was building up to something. In that way too it felt like such a comic book scene. It was also important that Batman saw how widespread and damaging his image was. He was evoking not just the Riddler but many others to be violent in the name of vengeance. It also gave him a chance to transcend past vengeance and help those who vulnerable in another way. I also love how it brought out the true character of others like the new mayor and catwoman. I think that helped Bruce too. To see there was still hope and care that hadn't been tainted. Ha, I guess I liked this part more than I realized. His ending monologue about becoming something more wouldn't have hit as hard or true without him going through that crisis.

It's weird. I thought it was a great sequence on its own. But to me it was so tonally different than what we got before with this tight, film noir detective story, that it was kind of jarring to see this huge action setpiece. With the Dark Knight, the entire movie was this gradual buildup of tension and escalation so the big moments in the 3rd act felt earned and connected. I didn't quite get that with the Batman.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Things The Batman Did Right

1. Make you really understand that nikkas were SHOOK of Batman. Either as a symbol of fear, or as a literal weirdo in a kevlar suit.

2. DETECTIVE BATMAN IS BEST BATMAN.

3. Zoe's the best Catwoman since Michelle. :banderas: Right blend of sexy, savvy, tragic and alluring. Catwoman is best when her and Bruce have unspoken understandings. The Joker and Selena might be the only ones that actually understand Bruce.
When she said "You're already spoken for..." yeah...that's Bruce.

4. No foolish campy nonsense.
The Riddle is a fukking terrorist, he has incel terrorist friends on the dark web.Penguin isn't some literal Penguin man.

5. Jeffrey Wright is the best Jim Gordon we've seen in the films period.

6. Illustrate that even as Batman, there's some shyt he just can't do/solve. He doesn't have super powers.

7. The new Batman theme slaps. Perfect tonally.

8. Gotham is fukkED UP. It's dirty, gothic, old and a blend between 70s-80's Manhattan and Chicago.

9. Not waste time with origin stories or training montages.

10. Make Martha Wayne actually relevant.

Things The Batman Did Wrong

1. Be about 30-40 minutes too long. The Alfred sub-plot could have been scrapped all together.

2. Some times, in the interest of plot, make Batman seem a bit slow.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

I had no issues with the third act.