Official The Batman Thread

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Grace trashed Hereditary, Doctor Sleep, JoJo Rabbit, & Encanto, so we fundamentally don't have the same tastes and I don't trust anything she says now.
random information

but I met Grace in person and her ass is crazy fat

Back to the topic I got my tickets to a Friday showing at the alamo drafthouse

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
It was good. Parts of it were great, but overall, I think it fell short of greatness. I do think it got better as it went along, so I'm not sure what the complaint is about the 3rd act. I really enjoyed the build-up and the way the mystery of what was happing kept unfolding. It was like one of those eggs within an egg type of trinkets. Just when you think you've figured things out the story keeps revealing there's more to it. That was really fun. I don't think I've seen anything like that for the comic book genre on screen before. It really did play like a mystery/thriller. They also did a great job of showing how strange and deranged someone probably has to be to dress up as a bat to fight crime. It definitely made me look at the character differently.

I really like how they played Selina. She and Batman had good chemistry and became the real heart of the film, so I hope we see her again.

Bruce's chemistry with Alfred was off. I don't know if that was intentional, but I didn't like the way Bruce spoke to Alfred for most of the movie. He came off like a dikk, but maybe that's what their real relationship is like. I was hoping for more humor and affection between the two. But maybe that's coming later. I will say that was a major disappointment for me because Nolan's Bruce and Alfred were such a great team and family.

I loved Colin Ferrell's Penguin. He was so entertaining. Both dangerous and funny. I'm excited to see how they will develop him going forward. The Riddler was so fukking psycho. Like legitimately crazy, I almost felt sorry for him.

I'm sure hardcore Batman fans will probably view this differently from casual fans. From a cinematic viewpoint as a casual fan, this was a good movie but it could have been trimmed. I'm sure I missed a bunch of easter eggs and nods. Other grievances were there were a lot of long lingering camera shots that I thought were unnecessary and made scenes stretch out. I also missed Bruce playing up his public persona to finesse information. It's hard to see how this Bruce will get to that stage. He's so fukking emo lol.

Anyway, I had a good time, but I wouldn't put this over The Dark Knight. Don't come for me lol. 8/10 :ld:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I really liked it but I didn’t find myself loving it overall. I do think the pieces are set in place though to where the sequel should be even better. I loved the dedication to it being detective mode Bats, straight up noir with the long-winded monologues.

Saw a lot of complaints from critics regarding it being “too dark”. Eh, maybe I’m desensitized to things by now but I didn’t find it to be that bad. It is Batman at the end of the day, and the film did a great job bringing that brooding Gotham nature to life, better than the Nolan films did IMO. Main complaint is that I felt the 3rd act suffered a bit of an identity crisis. Dragged until things got going again for the better during the climax.

We should hold off on the spoilers in this thread until Monday.
I agree that we should withhold spoilers now, but honestly I think it should be fine with spoiler tags on the 4th and forward, no?

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I really liked it but I didn’t find myself loving it overall. I do think the pieces are set in place though to where the sequel should be even better. I loved the dedication to it being detective mode Bats, straight up noir with the monologues.

Saw a lot of complaints from critics regarding it being “too dark”. Eh, maybe I’m desensitized to things by now but I didn’t find it to be that bad. It is Batman at the end of the day, and the film did a great job bringing that brooding Gotham nature to life, better than the Nolan films did IMO. Main complaint is that I felt the 3rd act suffered a bit of an identity crisis. Dragged until things got going again for the better during the climax.

I agree that we should withhold spoilers now, but honestly I think it should be fine with spoiler tags on the 4th and forward, no?

Tags is cool on the 4th, I feel like lot of us will have seen the movie between now and Saturday anyway.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I really liked it but I didn’t find myself loving it overall. I do think the pieces are set in place though to where the sequel should be even better. I loved the dedication to it being detective mode Bats, straight up noir with the long-winded monologues.

Is the movie at least on the level of Batman Begins? Thats all im really aiming for.