Official The Batman Thread

Superstar
Daps
Most comic book superheroes (including Superman) are for kids :dwillhuh:

Also, Superman being his typical archetype doesn't mean that he doesn't have doubts or failures. Once again @MartyMcFly perfectly explained Superman's character earlier.

:yeshrug:
Comics have also evolved, like the big screen portrayals, to the fact that adults read them too. Typical doesn’t equal interesting.

Superman has been printing long enough that the Boy Scout image probably isn’t the most typical anyways. And no, the old comic failures were negligible. You knew everything would be fixed by the end and there wouldn’t be any real consequences.

I appreciated the DoS run so much because, for the first time it was unpredictable. There were semi tangible consequences (like Supergirl getting punch into waffle mix, etc). If there was anything wrong with the current portrayal, it was that it wasn’t explored enough.

We’ve seen Superman with training wheels long enough. He’s just fine in a world, that bleeds. Just like ours.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:yeshrug:
Comics have also evolved, like the big screen portrayals, to the fact that adults read them too. Typical doesn’t equal interesting.

Superman has been printing long enough that the Boy Scout image probably isn’t the most typical anyways. And no, the old comic failures were negligible. You knew everything would be fixed by the end and there wouldn’t be any real consequences.

I appreciated the DoS run so much because, for the first time it was unpredictable. There were semi tangible consequences (like Supergirl getting punch into waffle mix, etc). If there was anything wrong with the current portrayal, it was that it wasn’t explored enough.

We’ve seen Superman with training wheels long enough. He’s just fine in a world, that bleeds. Just like ours.

A lot of people hate Superman and a lot of DC characters, is because, they subconsciously teach their audiences to OVERCOME challenges and obstacles of their personal setbacks for the greater good. A lot of people today, don't like to strive for a selfless cause anymore because it is "corny" to them. Especially people who were on that Edgelord dark BS of the 90s that almost bodied the comic book industry in its entirety, they cannot let go of the Richard Donner Superman because they all think that being some anti-hero is the eternal wave, and not strive for doing good. None of these DC heroes are perfect, but they understand that if they succumb to their vices and give into what people deem "cool" or "popular", you get the Injustice Superman. :picard:

Superstar
Daps
A lot of people hate Superman and a lot of DC characters, is because, they subconsciously teach their audiences to OVERCOME challenges and obstacles of their personal setbacks for the greater good. A lot of people today, don't like to strive for a selfless cause anymore because it is "corny" to them. Especially people who were on that Edgelord dark BS of the 90s that almost bodied the comic book industry in its entirety, they cannot let go of the Richard Donner Superman because they all think that being some anti-hero is the eternal wave, and not strive for doing good. None of these DC heroes are perfect, but they understand that if they succumb to their vices and give into what people deem "cool" or "popular", you get the Injustice Superman. :picard:

I understand that. I think people mistake Henry Cavill’s Superman’s lack of a cheery mood and the gloomy atmosphere for him being edgy. He’s, too me, the most realistic Clark because he’s learning to be confident in his powers. He didn’t just jump off the porch as the perfect hero. And he was able to sacrifice, overcome, and ensure the survival of the greater good. In the big scheme of things he was the most selfless Superman. He knew the villain would not stop trying to kill humanity so he did what he had to do. He didn’t have a magical plot device in the shadow zone. He wasn’t terribly different from any other Superman aside from having to learn to be confident and not being as social. You don’t have to be the perfect all around person to do the right thing.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Dap + Rep! :salute:

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
I understand that. I think people mistake Henry Cavill’s Superman’s lack of a cheery mood and the gloomy atmosphere for him being edgy. He’s, too me, the most realistic Clark because he’s learning to be confident in his powers. He didn’t just jump off the porch as the perfect hero. And he was able to sacrifice, overcome, and ensure the survival of the greater good. In the big scheme of things he was the most selfless Superman. He knew the villain would not stop trying to kill humanity so he did what he had to do. He didn’t have a magical plot device in the shadow zone. He wasn’t terribly different from any other Superman aside from having to learn to be confident and not being as social. You don’t have to be the perfect all around person to do the right thing.
Well, Superman is Superman. He's not just any average superhero, he is THEE SUPERHERO.

There are a ton of comic book superheroes that are "complex/complicated", "gritty", "brooding", "anti-heroes", etc. Superman doesn't need to be that. Superman is supposed to be the near perfect superhero because he's essentially the original superhero.

Superman being "evil" or "gloomy/brooding" is tolerable in small doses. But that's just not his character. You'll have to go to other superheroes/villains for that. So, let's agree to disagree.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

You hit the nail on the head. I have written my own superhero script and one of the criticisms that I get which bothers me is that people don’t understand why my main character wants to help other people. They are like why is he good for the sake of being good. They consider him bland for wanting to do the right thing and not being motivated by trauma. I get questions like why would he put himself in harms way for others? I wrote him the way that I did because I likened a lot of his best qualities to Clark/Superman.

King Static X

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
You hit the nail on the head. I have written my own superhero script and one of the criticisms that I get which bothers me is that people don’t understand why my main character wants to help other people. They are like why is he good for the sake of being good. They consider him bland for wanting to do the right thing and not being motivated by trauma. I get questions like why would he put himself in harms way for others? I wrote him the way that I did because I likened a lot of his best qualities to Clark/Superman.
So, you understand Superman's character. He's not like other superheroes. He's good for the sake of being good.

Many people nowadays find that to be "boring" as seen in this thread and in the opinions of the general public. SMH.

Superstar
Daps
So, you understand Superman's character. He's not like other superheroes. He's good for the sake of being good.

Many people nowadays find that to be "boring" as seen in this thread and in the opinions of the general public. SMH.

I hear you I think we’re arguing two different things here. ALL of the live action Superman’s, we’ve seen have been good for the sake of being good (except for Brandon Routh’s “leave the planet to dodge child support” Superman. They saw humans, the race that raised them, suffering and wanted to put their power to use to help.

What was boring was everything around Superman going right all the time. What was also boring was the ideal all-American cac wet dream personality. OG comic strip Superman had the perfect power but was a victim of what was allowed in comic’s back then.

I agree that the original purpose of Superman, when created, was to be a virtuous serial newspaper comic strip that would never be uncomfortable and wouldn’t require any thought. Now that’s the shyt that can only be taken in small doses lol. The change was inevitable.

On paper you can have “good” or “bad” characters. To be enjoyable on the big screen you have to have PEOPLE who do good or bad things.

I think we can all agree we’d rather have a shy, but will learn to be confident and charismatic in later movies, Superman than a deadbeat dad Superman like Brandon Routh lmao.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
He never was that’s the point.

The thing Cavill’s Superman was missing was being a good person just because.

If Clark Kent was just a reporter he would still do good because that’s who the Kents raised him to be.

Clark losing his father doesn’t send him into an emotional spiral cause his parents have taught him to deal with emotional adversity. Get back up and keep trying. People’s lives depend on it,

Snyder just cut the legs out his emotional core to tell some story about a emotional drifter Superman. Which is fine but then play out the emotional beats honestly which he didn’t. Snyder never establish religion as important to the Kent’s but Clark goes to a priest for advice just for a lame Jesus metaphor.

The movie is full of these type of cheats. Assuming that because it’s Superman it doesn’t matter how it gets there.

Last edited:

Lefty Gunz

Superstar
Daps
e8f7522f9e2d2eb0c0c18fdd71866d851fae92a1.png

Superstar
Daps
DC being in the sad state that it is in now is directly correlated with the Man of steel.

We could have got something akin to Marvel's universe instead we are left to anticipate deleted scenes and director cuts.

DC is just fine aside from their fukkups with the OG suicide squad, BoP, and the og Justice league. The only thing they need to do is pick a lane with what they got stick with it. I think batman will get them on the right track.