Official “The Athletic” thread

lib123

All Star
Daps
On Tuesday, the latest development in the ongoing James Harden-Houston Rockets saga was that the 2018 NBA MVP and the NBA’s leading scorer in each of the last three seasons finally reported to camp.

The Rockets began camp on Sunday without Harden, which of course caused quite a stir. On Monday, Rockets head coach Stephen Silas said “there is no timetable” to when Harden would return adding to the intrigue. Tuesday’s arrival seemingly sets aside the possibility of a holdout for Harden, who is still under team control by contract for two more seasons, but it is clear that Harden prefers to be elsewhere at this stage in his career and has no problems making things uncomfortable enough to possibly force a trade at some point before then.

With all the talk of the Philadelphia 76ers (where the man who brought Harden to Houston, Daryl Morey currently is employed as team president) and the Brooklyn Nets (where it has been widely reported Harden is targeting teaming up with Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving) as possible trade destinations, we asked some of our NBA insiders…

Are there any other trade destinations for Harden that have a chance?
David Aldridge: The New Orleans Pelicans
Alphabetical again, I see — so I get the first round of ‘you’re an idiot’ shrapnel. OK. Life in the big city. I’ll start.

NEW ORLEANS (aka, The Pearl Gambit Redux)

I’m old now, but I’m not so old that I was actually covering the NBA in 1971, when the then-Baltimore Bullets did the seemingly unthinkable: trade their franchise player and iconic superstar, Earl “the Pearl” Monroe; aka Jesus — to the Knicks for Mike Riordan, Dave Stallworth and cash. The Pearl wasn’t quite as prolific a scorer as Harden is, but he was flashier with the rock and just as big a star then as Harden is now. And like Harden, Monroe, after a few seasons butting his head up against the wall with the Bullets, who’d been unable to break through in the East despite having really good teams (also sounds familiar) — though they did reach the ‘71 Finals, getting swept by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and the Bucks — asked to be traded.

Initially, he balked at potentially going to New York, which already had its own iconic ballhandling guard with his own iconic nickname — Walt “Clyde” Frazier — who had already helped lead the Knicks to a championship two years prior.

“But eventually I said give me a couple of days,” Monroe told ESPN years ago, “and I went home to Philly and talked to my good friend, Sonny Hill, and my mom, and I emerged from those conversations saying I’m a basketball player, I can play with anyone in any style, and I’m going to come to New York.”

Teamed up with Frazier, Monroe made consecutive Finals with the Knicks in 1972 and 1973, winning the NBA championship in ‘73.

Some people will say this is nuts, that the Pelicans are building around Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram, that they just gave Ingram a max deal and they’ll be giving Zion one as soon as possible, and why would you bring in a guy like Harden who’ll dominate the ball and whose usage rate and salary are astronomical?

Here’s why, if you’re New Orleans, you think about it. (And please don’t tell me that they’re fully-formed with Ingram and Zion; they’ve been trying to get Bradley Beal for two years, so don’t tell me they’d have no interest in someone like Harden.)

You just lost Anthony Davis. Providence gave you an immediate high-flying, TV-fawning replacement in Williamson. But you will ALWAYS be a target for predators, and you’ll always be working hard to keep fans interested in a town dominated by the Saints. You built a good, solid playoff team around Davis relatively quickly, gave him a max extension, got DeMarcus Cousins so he wouldn’t play center, and he still bolted.

The best chance to keep a guy like Zion happy, it says here, is to give him the best chance to compete immediately in the West. That means you have to be good enough to beat the Lakers or Clippers, or Nuggets or Jazz. You didn’t even make the playoffs last year. Harden not only gets you to the playoffs, he gives you a real chance against the elite teams in the West. He’s under contract through 2023. That’s your window, with Ingram, to get Williamson to one or two Finals during this stretch and make him want to be a Pelican for Life.

Harden is polarizing, and he’s reportedly got his heart set on the Nets or 76ers. But he’s at the point of his career where, like the Pearl, he knows how hard it is to do that heavy lifting alone. He’s never played with an inside force like Zion. Add Ingram, and you could have something insanely hard to stop.

What would you send back? Houston will ask for Ingram as the centerpiece of any package for Harden. You’ll say no. The Rockets will keep asking for Ingram. You’ll keep saying no. And that’s where I’m leaving this. I didn’t say you should trade Ingram, and maybe Kira Lewis, and an expiring contract like J.J. Redikk, and a lot of those first-round picks coming your way from the Lakers and Bucks from the AD and Jrue Holiday deals for the Beard. Maybe they would take a Lonzo Ball-centric package instead. But you do have to think about it.

Joe Vardon: The LA Clippers
Alphabetical my ass. I was last in line walking to the cafeteria in grade school, across the stage at graduation, and should be when it comes to trade machinations. Why? They involve contracts and math.

When it comes to Houston’s asks for Harden — All-Star/All-NBA player, treasure trove of youth and picks, I just don’t know how much of that actually exists. The Clippers don’t have it, but they do have the (likely) expiring contracts of Kawhi Leonard ($34.3 million this season) and Paul George ($35.4 million). Both have player options for the following season, neither is expected to exercise it. And that’s a hell of a place to start.

Harden wanted Tyronn Lue to be his coach in Houston. Sources say Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta did not — he wanted Jeff Van Gundy — and the compromise was Stephen Silas. The point here is, Harden wanted to play for Lue, who is now the Clippers’ coach. He, like a seemingly vast majority of the NBA, spends at least part of his offseasons in Los Angeles, and would probably be open to extending his stay there. He also gives the Clippers something they honestly do not have, a dynamic, scoring ball handler.

As for what they’d have to give up to get Harden, obviously, the Clippers would be divorcing themselves from the historic, very expensive course they charted in the summer of 2019 after just one season. But the truth of the matter is the Leonard-George experiment, for whatever reason, didn’t quite work. Either during the mundane portions of 2019-20 or the Bubble. There were chemistry issues all over the map.

Harden isn’t exactly showing himself to be a “chemistry” guy right now, what with the weekend stunt he pulled on his new coach, but playing alongside either Leonard or George (but obviously not both) would be a start. He’d reunite with Patrick Beverley and he’d get to play with Lue. The Clippers might even be a little further ahead than they are now in trying to catch the Lakers. Maybe.

Look, the league isn’t really set up for this — for in-their-prime stars to be traded for each other. Usually, something must be wrong with one or both (look at the Russell Westbrook-John Wall deal; Westbrook has had a host of injuries and Wall hasn’t played in two years). It is not up to Harden where he gets traded (Fertitta could order a trade to Cleveland and there is nothing Harden could do to stop it), but the Clippers are a destination he’d appreciate, and his presence would give that team a dominant, scoring champion guard paired with one (but not two) of the game’s great wings. And you no longer have the issue of needing to clean up the Leonard-George chemistry. Also, when it comes to Harden, he gets a chance to play on a team where the second star is not a guard (Westbrook, Chris Paul). He hasn’t had that since he was third fiddle to Russ and Kevin Durant in Oklahoma City.

The Clippers could read at this and laugh at me. Maybe they’d want nothing to do with Harden’s questionable behavior off the court. But Harden, Leonard, Pat Bev, Lou Williams, Serge Ibaka (I am not naming anyone else here, because the Clippers would probably need to throw in an additional player) is a potentially dangerous nucleus.

And if you’re Houston, you aren’t saddled with any long-term baggage in the form of a bad contract. Assuming either of the stars the Rockets would potentially land in a deal like that would want to be a free agent next summer, you’re entering 2021 free agency with a chance to rebuild quickly.

The Clippers acknowledge they have chemistry issues. If a private, long look under the hood by Lue and his new coaching staff finds that what happened in that locker room last season is not fixable, then I’d guess they’d have to consider something like this.

Sam Amick: The LA Clippers
You know how you get to the front of line sometimes, Joe? You cut — much like you did by picking the Clippers for this thought exercise before I had a chance to start typing my own views on why they’re a very interesting option here. Great minds think alike … or something like that.

So rather than switch it up, let’s go even deeper down this hypothetical road. But first, as Joe alluded to, this needs a disclaimer: If the Rockets maintain their current asking price of an All-Star/All-NBA player and a combination of young prospects/first-round draft picks, it’s virtually impossible for the Clippers to pay that ransom because, well, they gave up damn near everything they had just to get Leonard and George in the first place.

But what if George — who has been scapegoated a bit in the aftermath of the Clippers’ bubble collapse — was genuinely interested in joining the Rockets? Houston could have itself a Wall-George-Cousins trio that would be quite formidable, even more so if the Clippers added former Rocket/three-time Sixth Man of the Year Lou Williams to the deal (expiring deal; $8 million this season). Meanwhile, the Clippers could choose to try a Leonard-Harden pairing as they get closer to Leonard’s possible free agency next summer (he and George both have player options for next season, while Harden has two seasons left on his deal before his player option in 2022-23). Add in the fact that Harden, like George, grew up in the area, and you barely even have to change the narrative for the marketing department.

But George’s buy-in would be key if the Rockets were going to take a serious look at it, and it’s worth noting that the Palmdale, Calif. native not only jumped at the chance to return to his home region in Southern California last summer but also said on Friday that he wanted to retire with the Clippers. What’s more, one of the players who was known to have clashed a bit with George — that being Montrezl Harrell — was not invited back to the Clippers in free agency and promptly signed with the Lakers. If there was friction between George and some of his teammates, as has been reported in several places, it seems to have been somewhat minimized by the roster moves and the Clippers, sources say, remain fully committed to George as part of their program.

Still, stranger things have happened. Especially in LA.

John Hollinger: The Minnesota Timberwolves
If you’re looking for off-the-wall comedy, read Vardon. But if it’s an off-the-wall destination you seek, then come here. While I also recently mentioned, in cahoots with the esteemed Mr. Aldridge, that Golden State has the chips to play in this hand if they want to, I actually have an even more off the wall name for you…

Minnesota.

Sending Harden there would reunite him with his former front office mates in Houston, Gersson Rosas and Sachin Gupta. The T’wolves are set up to play Harden’s preferred style with an ideal pick-and-pop partner (Karl Towns) and a lot of role players who don’t really need the ball and aren’t good enough to demand it anyway.

The Wolves also have the obvious salary match for a deal in D’Angelo Russell, who would allow the Rockets to replace Harden’s shot creation until whatever they’re doing next happens. Adding 2019 lottery pick Jarrett Culver to Russell is enough salary to complete a deal, although the Wolves would almost certainly throw in Ed Davis too so they could stay out of the luxury tax.

Is a Culver-Russell package enough? Of course not. Minnesota would have to haggle with the Rockets over whether top pick Anthony Edwards has to be part of the deal, or whether the Rockets can “settle” for unprotected firsts in 2024 and 2026. All that might be too rich a price for a smaller market that has a decent chance of losing Harden for nothing in 2022 (not to mention Towns in 2024). But if the T’wolves really want to go all-in on two years of a Towns-Harden partnership in their prime, they have a pretty clear avenue toward doing so.

My man. Thank you!

:banderas:

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps

Clemson-Ohio State first look: Previewing the College Football Playoff semifinal

osu-clemson-rematch-1024x683.jpg

By Bill Landis and Grace Raynor Dec 21, 2020
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

It’s the rematch Ohio State has spent a year hoping for, and the one Clemson needs to win if it’s going to compete for another national championship.

No. 2 Clemson and No. 3 Ohio State meet in the Sugar Bowl on New Year’s Day for their third College Football Playoff semifinal matchup since 2016.

Ryan Day, Dabo Swinney. Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence.

Clemson is 4-0 all time against the Buckeyes, which includes the 29-23 win last season in the Fiesta Bowl national semifinal.

Here to break it down are The Athletic’s experts, Ohio State beat writer Bill Landis and Clemson beat writer Grace Raynor.

Landis: I’m curious about the mindset of both teams. Ohio State has had last year’s final score hanging in its weight room since January. The Buckeyes left that field in Arizona last year believing they were the better team. Back when it looked like the Buckeyes wouldn’t have a season, some guys were lamenting they weren’t going to get another crack at Clemson. Both teams come into every season with national title aspirations, but OSU seemed intent on getting this rematch first. Not that they would have hated winning a national title without the opportunity to avenge last year’s game, but on some level, this season would have felt incomplete if it didn’t include a chance to play Clemson again.

Understanding these programs can never totally avoid each other because they butt heads so often in recruiting, how much is Ohio State on Clemson’s radar throughout the season?

Raynor: It’s interesting you say that because I get the vibe that Clemson players have the same mindset, but it’s in regard to the national championship game the Tigers lost last season to LSU. In the same way Ohio State’s season might feel incomplete without a Clemson rematch, Clemson and Lawrence need another shot at the Tigers’ third title since 2016.

Asked Sunday if Clemson-Ohio State qualifies as a rivalry, Swinney responded “absolutely” and pointed out that when the teams play, it means some sort of championship is on the line. It’s clear Swinney has great respect for Day, and he mentioned the programs’ competition on the recruiting trail as well. Clemson will be eager to play Ohio State for the chance to reassert itself as one of the sport’s elites and potentially return to the national title game. But it’s hard to argue this one is as personal for the Tigers as it is for the Buckeyes. The lingering dissatisfaction is from LSU and what transpired at the site of where this game will take place: the Superdome in New Orleans.

Landis: It is kind of funny to me that this game is being played in New Orleans, where Ohio State’s only semifinal win happened and where Clemson is 0-2 in Playoff appearances. I’m sure the Buckeyes are happy to not be playing this one in the Fiesta Bowl. Bad vibes and all that.

While last year’s game is on the mind, how is Clemson any better, worse or different from when it edged Ohio State? For the Buckeyes, they’ve had some major personnel losses on defense — no Chase Young, Jeff Okudah or Damon Arnette. And they’re also missing some important but unsung players, such as safety Jordan Fuller and defensive tackle DaVon Hamilton. Its defense simply isn’t the same. Aside from the few big plays that were the difference for Clemson last year, I actually thought Ohio State’s defense did a nice job of not letting Lawrence and Clemson’s offense consistently drive down the field. This season, OSU has been bending more and giving up more big plays. The defense is still talented, but there’s not a soon-to-be first-rounder there. There’s not a player like Young who can really change how an offense approaches things.

Fields is back to lead the offense, which — the performance against Northwestern in the Big Ten title game notwithstanding — has been explosive this year. J.K. Dobbins is gone, but the offensive line might be better than last year, and it just paved the way for 399 rushing yards in the conference championship game.

I would say Ohio State’s offense is a little better than it was last year, or at least it has the potential to be. But the defense is not as special as it was, and the last time it faced a dynamic passing attack, it gave up nearly 500 yards through the air to Indiana.

How does Clemson stack up compared to last year?

Raynor: I was surprised when it was announced this game would be in the Superdome, because the assumption was No. 1 Alabama would head to New Orleans because of proximity and the SEC’s Sugar Bowl ties. The Tide and Notre Dame are headed to Arlington, Texas, instead, where more fans will be allowed to attend.

There’s no doubt Clemson would love to exorcise the demons in this venue, though.

Like OSU, Clemson is different, and it starts with the offensive line. The Tigers lost four of their five starters from last year, with Ohio native Jackson Carman the lone returnee. It has taken them time to find their footing in run blocking, although they put the pieces together in the ACC championship game Saturday when senior running back Travis Etienne ran for 124 yards on 10 carries for his first 100-yard rushing game since October.

The other area in which Clemson is different offensively is at wide receiver. Swinney has said many times that if someone told him he’d be without Justyn Ross for the entire season because of a congenital fusion of the spine, in addition to being without Joseph Ngata and Frank Ladson Jr. for chunks of the year, he wouldn’t have believed it. But the Tigers have gotten creative. Senior Amari Rodgers and redshirt senior Cornell Powell are having the best seasons of their careers, and 6-foot-3 true freshman E.J. Williams is breaking out as a downfield threat at just the right time. Ohio State got a glimpse of it last year, but Etienne is a weapon in the passing game this year with 44 catches for 524 yards.

Defensively, Clemson lost five starters from the Fiesta Bowl and has played without another, defensive end Justin Foster. But defensive coordinator Brent Venables knows how to reload. The Tigers also recently got linebackers James Skalski and Mike Jones Jr. back from injury, as well as defensive tackle Tyler Davis. I’m curious to see where junior defensive end Xavier Thomas stands after he was unavailable against Notre Dame. I also wonder how Venables will scheme without Nolan Turner in the first half, which he’ll miss due to a targeting call against Notre Dame. I’m sure the Buckeyes remember the Clemson safety and his game-clinching pick in the end zone last year.

Landis: Yes, I think No. 24 in the Clemson jersey picking off Fields is etched into the back of every Ohio State player’s eyeballs.

Ohio State has been missing some players lately. It beat Michigan State 52-12 without five starters, including three offensive linemen. All of those players were back against Northwestern, but the Buckeyes were without wide receiver Chris Olave, linebacker Baron Browning and punter Drue Chrisman — 14 scholarship players total — in that game. There’s some hope the players who missed that game due to a positive COVID-19 test will be back for the Sugar Bowl. The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach reported the Big Ten is going to amend its return-to-play rule to allow players back in 17 days rather than 21, but it’s still unknown if that change results in players returning for OSU.

Olave would obviously be a huge loss. But Browning is just as crucial in this matchup. When talking about Etienne getting more involved as a receiver, I wonder about the challenge that will present for the Buckeyes’ linebackers. Browning had been playing really well, and he’s the kind of athlete a team needs when it’s trying to plan against stopping someone like Etienne in space or contending with Lawrence’s running ability.

Another matchup aspect I’m wondering about is Ohio State’s run game against Clemson’s defense. OSU’s rushing attack is rounding into form. It’s gone over 300 yards in the last three games, and running back Trey Sermon just set a new single-game program record with 331 yards against Northwestern. It feels like it is becoming a strength. But then I look and see what Clemson’s defense just did, shutting down Notre Dame’s rushing attack, and I’m not sure if OSU can be as effective on the ground.

How has that gone this year? Is there any vulnerability in Clemson’s defense that Ohio State might be able to attack?

Raynor: Clemson’s rushing defense ranks No. 9 in the country and is hard to attack when the unit is fully healthy. Skalski’s presence in the ACC championship game couldn’t be missed from the first drive Saturday. The Tigers allowed the Fighting Irish to convert only 3 of 12 third downs after they opened the game 2-for-2 and limited them to 44 rushing yards. Poor Pittsburgh could muster only 16 yards on the ground last month against Clemson with 0.67 yards per carry.

Ohio State, however, has the best rushing offense of any team Clemson will have faced all season. It seems significant the Buckeyes are getting better each week in that regard. Mobile quarterbacks have also had success against the Tigers this season, albeit with caveats. Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong ran for 89 yards, though Davis was out. Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book ran for 67 yards in the first matchup, though Davis, Skalski and Jones were out. At full strength, Clemson swarmed Book and made it a priority to contain him in the rematch while also covering on the back end.

What’s the biggest difference you see in Fields this season?

Landis: He’s been a little more accurate down the field than he was last year. He’s got a great rapport with Olave and Garrett Wilson. He can stand to take more of what’s given to him. Defenses have put him in binds this year by changing their coverages post-snap, giving him some confusing looks and keeping him guessing a bit. Venables will have plenty of that for him. If Fields can become a little more willing to take available checkdowns and not always look for the home run, he can take a real step forward.

The thing that makes him special, though, is his ability to create. That was limited last year, as he played on an injured knee for the final three games of the season. He hasn’t run a ton this year, though he did top 100 yards against Michigan State. There’s been a desire for Day to let Fields loose as a runner. And when I think back to last year, that would have been a nice asset in the red zone. Ohio State needs to finish drives. It had three red zone trips and no touchdowns last year, which is how it can control the game from a statistical standpoint the way it did and still lose. I think those missed opportunities are why OSU has such a sour taste from last year’s loss. It was there for the taking, but you can’t settle for field goals in games like this.

Raynor: You’re right about that. Field goals won’t do it with these stakes and Lawrence operating Clemson’s offense. I’m excited for this matchup not only because of a second installment between two powerhouses, but another round of Lawrence versus Fields, specifically. The quarterbacks will bring their best with their seasons on the line, as they’ve done in the past.

Let me ask you this before we wrap up: Have you seen Ohio State at its best yet? And how do you gauge that when it has only played six games to Clemson’s 11?

For Clemson, there’s no doubt the Tigers just put together their best game of the season on Saturday night against Notre Dame. Swinney always says great teams get better as the season goes on, and Clemson is peaking at the right time.

Landis: It’s so odd, because I don’t know if I have a good answer for what has been Ohio State’s best game. The Big Ten championship game was its best game running the ball, but its worst passing performance in a few years. It has run out to big first-half leads in all but one of its games, but let a few of those opponents come back and hang around in the second half.

It’s all just been very inconsistent. OSU had three games canceled and had to alter some practice plans. The Buckeyes have not been a complete team in a few weeks and have played two games since Nov. 21. Their talent is undeniable. If everyone is healthy and the Buckeyes can somehow get things firing in all aspects, then their best game can measure up to any other team’s best game. But they haven’t played their best game, and I do wonder if there’s enough time for them to find that level before they get on the field with Clemson.

I agree with anyone who says Ohio State has an advantage in having played only six games and not incurring as much physical wear and tear. That’s real. But the lack of games also makes it hard to say just how good it actually is. I guess we’ll find out on Jan. 1.

(Photo of Justin Fields against Clemson in 2019: Mark J. Rebilas / USA Today)

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
The Titans keep scoring points because they can and have to and it’s impressive

GettyImages-1292282752-1024x683.jpg

By Kyle Tucker Dec 20, 2020
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

NASHVILLE — The real shame of it, the biggest bummer about the Tennessee Titans doing what they’re doing in the midst of a pandemic, is that so few people have gotten to witness this spectacular offense of theirs in person. An announced crowd of just 13,797 was on hand Sunday at Nissan Stadium for the regular-season home finale in which Ryan Tannehill, Derrick Henry, Corey Davis and A.J. Brown delivered their most complete performance yet, finally lifting the curse of 9-7 in the process.

Fans forced to watch from home were at least spared an up-close look at yet another maddening afternoon for the flimsy defense, which by now looks like it just isn’t getting fixed until the offseason, but maybe it won’t matter if the Titans keep moving the ball like this. In a 46-25 win over the Detroit Lions, Tannehill totaled 294 yards and a career-high five touchdowns, Henry stiff-armed another defender into dust on his way to 147 yards and a score, Davis hauled in a deep ball and shed a tackler for a 75-yard touchdown and Brown plunged the dagger with his 10th TD catch of the season in the fourth quarter.

“Our offense has guys that love competing, love the game, love winning,” Tannehill said, “so we’re going to try to find a way to win each drive, to finish in the end zone, and if it takes 30-plus points to win a game, that’s our mindset. We can’t control what the defense does, but we can control if we score every drive.”

They damn near did Sunday, getting points on seven of their nine possessions.

Now 10-4, Tennessee has clinched its best record since 2008, inched closer to a second straight playoff berth and avoided a fifth consecutive 9-7 season, signaling the next step in this franchise’s climb. The Titans went 18-46 from 2012 to 2015. Then came that run of slightly above-average records and late scrambles to make the postseason. An unexpected march to the AFC title game in January has now given way to the first 10-win season here since Henry, soon to be two-time NFL rushing champ, was 14 years old. The architect of that rise, third-year coach Mike Vrabel, stayed in character and shrugged off its significance.

“It just gives you an opportunity to win 11 games,” he said. “Hopefully we don’t spend a whole lot of time talking about 10 wins. That’s not what anybody is here for.”

And he’s right, but folks outside the organization should certainly savor what’s happening. Those inside are likewise justified in acknowledging a little pride.

“Coach Vrabel got here and he instilled a culture in us,” Henry said. “We believe in it and just go out there and work.”

Tennessee is not just relevant in the NFL again. Thanks to Tannehill, Henry and that electric offense, the Titans are really fun to watch. Stressful, too, because of a defense that ranks dead last in third-down stops and surrendered another 430 yards Sunday. But maybe Big 12 fans should give lessons on how to enjoy these weekly shootouts. At least they’re never boring, and there’s something mesmerizing about how comfortable Tannehill and Co. seem when the heat is on to keep lighting up the scoreboard.

Last week at Jacksonville, Tannehill got off three plays for 28 yards in nine seconds to set up a field goal before halftime. This week, it was eight plays for 52 yards in 62 seconds to set up a field goal before halftime.

“Throughout the season, we’ve been in two-minute situations a lot and been good in them a lot,” Tannehill said, “so you get that confidence that it’s not anything new for us.”

Ho-hum, scoring at will is now old hat for the Titans, who on Sunday became just the fifth team in NFL history to produce five consecutive games of at least 30 points and 420 yards of offense. Among the others: the 1999 St. Louis Rams, also known as The Greatest Show on Turf, featuring Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce and Torry ****. Titans fans will unfortunately remember that team well. Still, it’s heady company, and a reminder that we might ought to pause and really appreciate what this Tennessee offense is doing.

Against the Lions, they finished five yards shy of producing 200 rushing and 200 passing yards in a game for the fifth time this season. They entered the day as just the sixth team in NFL history with 3,000 passing and 2,000 rushing yards through 13 games.

“I think that’s what makes us dangerous,” Tannehill said, “the fact that we can switch it up. Obviously Derrick does his thing — he’s going to gain his yards — and we’re able to play off that in the pass game. Or if we’re not going to do play-actions, we can drop back and gain yards that way. I think we’ve shown that throughout the years. Really just happy and thankful for the guys that we have, the way we can spread the ball around. You can’t really key in on one of the areas of the game or one player. You have to defend the whole field and every aspect that we do out there.”

Consider the absurdity of Tennessee’s arsenal. Tannehill, his career reborn in Nashville as coordinator Arthur Smith mashes all the right buttons, has completed 66.5 percent of his passes for 3,482 yards with 35 total touchdowns and just five interceptions. Henry has 1,679 yards and 15 touchdowns and still an outside shot at 2,000. Brown (881) and Davis (945) can both crack 1,000 receiving yards. Tight ends Jonnu Smith and Anthony Firkser are both flirting with 500 yards. Every one of those guys made a critical play Sunday.

USATSI_15340893-scaled.jpg

Derrick Henry (Christopher Hanewinckel / USA Today)
After a 21-7 lead shriveled to six points with four minutes to go in the third quarter and the Titans faced third-and-11 deep in their own end, Tannehill calmly delivered a 20-yard strike to Firkser. On the same drive, facing third-and-1, Henry popped a 33-yard run to set up Tannehill’s 3-yard TD sprint. How do you stop an offense with this many weapons? And they even went and added one Sunday. Rookie third-rounder Darrynton Evans, a speedy back out of Appalachian State who missed almost the entire season with injuries, made his bona fide debut and shredded the Lions too.

He zoomed 28 yards on a kick return, 24 yards on a slick catch and run, gained 30 yards on eight carries and snagged a 3-yard touchdown reception out of the backfield. It’s an embarrassment of riches.

“Art and the rest of the offensive staff does a great job of scheming plays and we have a lot of weapons,” Davis said. “Tannehill is a great quarterback and he definitely makes our job easy. He puts it in a great spot, has great accuracy. But we do take a lot of pride in our job and what we do, knowing where the ball is. We put it upon ourselves to go get it.”

That’s how the Titans have made it to these final two games of the regular season — at Green Bay and at Houston — in first place in the AFC South and looking for more. With an offense that has rarely been stopped and a take-care-of-business attitude that past Tennessee teams seemed to lack. The Jaguars and Lions are bad, but the old Titans might’ve overlooked one or both, and this version dropped the hammer instead.

“I think they realize that you can be beat by anybody in this league. We remind them that records don’t mean anything,” Vrabel said. “Too many opportunities to show them teams with a worse record beating teams that have the better record.”

For the guys on this prolific offense, it also helps to know they can’t really ever let up. Because the defense remains a mess and because the AFC standings are stacked with other playoff hopefuls. The Chiefs, Steelers, Bills, Colts, Browns, Ravens and Dolphins all have at least nine wins. Which means for all stat-stuffing and streak-busting Tennessee has done so far, there is still work to be done.

“You appreciate today,” Tannehill said. “You appreciate the win. But 10 wins means nothing. We have bigger goals than that.”

(Top photo of Ryan Tannehill: Frederick Breedon / Getty Images)

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
The Titans keep scoring points because they can and have to and it’s impressive

GettyImages-1292282752-1024x683.jpg

By Kyle Tucker Dec 20, 2020
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

NASHVILLE — The real shame of it, the biggest bummer about the Tennessee Titans doing what they’re doing in the midst of a pandemic, is that so few people have gotten to witness this spectacular offense of theirs in person. An announced crowd of just 13,797 was on hand Sunday at Nissan Stadium for the regular-season home finale in which Ryan Tannehill, Derrick Henry, Corey Davis and A.J. Brown delivered their most complete performance yet, finally lifting the curse of 9-7 in the process.

Fans forced to watch from home were at least spared an up-close look at yet another maddening afternoon for the flimsy defense, which by now looks like it just isn’t getting fixed until the offseason, but maybe it won’t matter if the Titans keep moving the ball like this. In a 46-25 win over the Detroit Lions, Tannehill totaled 294 yards and a career-high five touchdowns, Henry stiff-armed another defender into dust on his way to 147 yards and a score, Davis hauled in a deep ball and shed a tackler for a 75-yard touchdown and Brown plunged the dagger with his 10th TD catch of the season in the fourth quarter.

“Our offense has guys that love competing, love the game, love winning,” Tannehill said, “so we’re going to try to find a way to win each drive, to finish in the end zone, and if it takes 30-plus points to win a game, that’s our mindset. We can’t control what the defense does, but we can control if we score every drive.”

They damn near did Sunday, getting points on seven of their nine possessions.

Now 10-4, Tennessee has clinched its best record since 2008, inched closer to a second straight playoff berth and avoided a fifth consecutive 9-7 season, signaling the next step in this franchise’s climb. The Titans went 18-46 from 2012 to 2015. Then came that run of slightly above-average records and late scrambles to make the postseason. An unexpected march to the AFC title game in January has now given way to the first 10-win season here since Henry, soon to be two-time NFL rushing champ, was 14 years old. The architect of that rise, third-year coach Mike Vrabel, stayed in character and shrugged off its significance.

“It just gives you an opportunity to win 11 games,” he said. “Hopefully we don’t spend a whole lot of time talking about 10 wins. That’s not what anybody is here for.”

And he’s right, but folks outside the organization should certainly savor what’s happening. Those inside are likewise justified in acknowledging a little pride.

“Coach Vrabel got here and he instilled a culture in us,” Henry said. “We believe in it and just go out there and work.”

Tennessee is not just relevant in the NFL again. Thanks to Tannehill, Henry and that electric offense, the Titans are really fun to watch. Stressful, too, because of a defense that ranks dead last in third-down stops and surrendered another 430 yards Sunday. But maybe Big 12 fans should give lessons on how to enjoy these weekly shootouts. At least they’re never boring, and there’s something mesmerizing about how comfortable Tannehill and Co. seem when the heat is on to keep lighting up the scoreboard.

Last week at Jacksonville, Tannehill got off three plays for 28 yards in nine seconds to set up a field goal before halftime. This week, it was eight plays for 52 yards in 62 seconds to set up a field goal before halftime.

“Throughout the season, we’ve been in two-minute situations a lot and been good in them a lot,” Tannehill said, “so you get that confidence that it’s not anything new for us.”

Ho-hum, scoring at will is now old hat for the Titans, who on Sunday became just the fifth team in NFL history to produce five consecutive games of at least 30 points and 420 yards of offense. Among the others: the 1999 St. Louis Rams, also known as The Greatest Show on Turf, featuring Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce and Torry ****. Titans fans will unfortunately remember that team well. Still, it’s heady company, and a reminder that we might ought to pause and really appreciate what this Tennessee offense is doing.

Against the Lions, they finished five yards shy of producing 200 rushing and 200 passing yards in a game for the fifth time this season. They entered the day as just the sixth team in NFL history with 3,000 passing and 2,000 rushing yards through 13 games.

“I think that’s what makes us dangerous,” Tannehill said, “the fact that we can switch it up. Obviously Derrick does his thing — he’s going to gain his yards — and we’re able to play off that in the pass game. Or if we’re not going to do play-actions, we can drop back and gain yards that way. I think we’ve shown that throughout the years. Really just happy and thankful for the guys that we have, the way we can spread the ball around. You can’t really key in on one of the areas of the game or one player. You have to defend the whole field and every aspect that we do out there.”

Consider the absurdity of Tennessee’s arsenal. Tannehill, his career reborn in Nashville as coordinator Arthur Smith mashes all the right buttons, has completed 66.5 percent of his passes for 3,482 yards with 35 total touchdowns and just five interceptions. Henry has 1,679 yards and 15 touchdowns and still an outside shot at 2,000. Brown (881) and Davis (945) can both crack 1,000 receiving yards. Tight ends Jonnu Smith and Anthony Firkser are both flirting with 500 yards. Every one of those guys made a critical play Sunday.

USATSI_15340893-scaled.jpg

Derrick Henry (Christopher Hanewinckel / USA Today)
After a 21-7 lead shriveled to six points with four minutes to go in the third quarter and the Titans faced third-and-11 deep in their own end, Tannehill calmly delivered a 20-yard strike to Firkser. On the same drive, facing third-and-1, Henry popped a 33-yard run to set up Tannehill’s 3-yard TD sprint. How do you stop an offense with this many weapons? And they even went and added one Sunday. Rookie third-rounder Darrynton Evans, a speedy back out of Appalachian State who missed almost the entire season with injuries, made his bona fide debut and shredded the Lions too.

He zoomed 28 yards on a kick return, 24 yards on a slick catch and run, gained 30 yards on eight carries and snagged a 3-yard touchdown reception out of the backfield. It’s an embarrassment of riches.

“Art and the rest of the offensive staff does a great job of scheming plays and we have a lot of weapons,” Davis said. “Tannehill is a great quarterback and he definitely makes our job easy. He puts it in a great spot, has great accuracy. But we do take a lot of pride in our job and what we do, knowing where the ball is. We put it upon ourselves to go get it.”

That’s how the Titans have made it to these final two games of the regular season — at Green Bay and at Houston — in first place in the AFC South and looking for more. With an offense that has rarely been stopped and a take-care-of-business attitude that past Tennessee teams seemed to lack. The Jaguars and Lions are bad, but the old Titans might’ve overlooked one or both, and this version dropped the hammer instead.

“I think they realize that you can be beat by anybody in this league. We remind them that records don’t mean anything,” Vrabel said. “Too many opportunities to show them teams with a worse record beating teams that have the better record.”

For the guys on this prolific offense, it also helps to know they can’t really ever let up. Because the defense remains a mess and because the AFC standings are stacked with other playoff hopefuls. The Chiefs, Steelers, Bills, Colts, Browns, Ravens and Dolphins all have at least nine wins. Which means for all stat-stuffing and streak-busting Tennessee has done so far, there is still work to be done.

“You appreciate today,” Tannehill said. “You appreciate the win. But 10 wins means nothing. We have bigger goals than that.”

(Top photo of Ryan Tannehill: Frederick Breedon / Getty Images)
Thanks for posting this breh! I missed over this notification

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Clemson-Ohio State first look: Previewing the College Football Playoff semifinal

osu-clemson-rematch-1024x683.jpg

By Bill Landis and Grace Raynor Dec 21, 2020
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

It’s the rematch Ohio State has spent a year hoping for, and the one Clemson needs to win if it’s going to compete for another national championship.

No. 2 Clemson and No. 3 Ohio State meet in the Sugar Bowl on New Year’s Day for their third College Football Playoff semifinal matchup since 2016.

Ryan Day, Dabo Swinney. Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence.

Clemson is 4-0 all time against the Buckeyes, which includes the 29-23 win last season in the Fiesta Bowl national semifinal.

Here to break it down are The Athletic’s experts, Ohio State beat writer Bill Landis and Clemson beat writer Grace Raynor.

Landis: I’m curious about the mindset of both teams. Ohio State has had last year’s final score hanging in its weight room since January. The Buckeyes left that field in Arizona last year believing they were the better team. Back when it looked like the Buckeyes wouldn’t have a season, some guys were lamenting they weren’t going to get another crack at Clemson. Both teams come into every season with national title aspirations, but OSU seemed intent on getting this rematch first. Not that they would have hated winning a national title without the opportunity to avenge last year’s game, but on some level, this season would have felt incomplete if it didn’t include a chance to play Clemson again.

Understanding these programs can never totally avoid each other because they butt heads so often in recruiting, how much is Ohio State on Clemson’s radar throughout the season?

Raynor: It’s interesting you say that because I get the vibe that Clemson players have the same mindset, but it’s in regard to the national championship game the Tigers lost last season to LSU. In the same way Ohio State’s season might feel incomplete without a Clemson rematch, Clemson and Lawrence need another shot at the Tigers’ third title since 2016.

Asked Sunday if Clemson-Ohio State qualifies as a rivalry, Swinney responded “absolutely” and pointed out that when the teams play, it means some sort of championship is on the line. It’s clear Swinney has great respect for Day, and he mentioned the programs’ competition on the recruiting trail as well. Clemson will be eager to play Ohio State for the chance to reassert itself as one of the sport’s elites and potentially return to the national title game. But it’s hard to argue this one is as personal for the Tigers as it is for the Buckeyes. The lingering dissatisfaction is from LSU and what transpired at the site of where this game will take place: the Superdome in New Orleans.

Landis: It is kind of funny to me that this game is being played in New Orleans, where Ohio State’s only semifinal win happened and where Clemson is 0-2 in Playoff appearances. I’m sure the Buckeyes are happy to not be playing this one in the Fiesta Bowl. Bad vibes and all that.

While last year’s game is on the mind, how is Clemson any better, worse or different from when it edged Ohio State? For the Buckeyes, they’ve had some major personnel losses on defense — no Chase Young, Jeff Okudah or Damon Arnette. And they’re also missing some important but unsung players, such as safety Jordan Fuller and defensive tackle DaVon Hamilton. Its defense simply isn’t the same. Aside from the few big plays that were the difference for Clemson last year, I actually thought Ohio State’s defense did a nice job of not letting Lawrence and Clemson’s offense consistently drive down the field. This season, OSU has been bending more and giving up more big plays. The defense is still talented, but there’s not a soon-to-be first-rounder there. There’s not a player like Young who can really change how an offense approaches things.

Fields is back to lead the offense, which — the performance against Northwestern in the Big Ten title game notwithstanding — has been explosive this year. J.K. Dobbins is gone, but the offensive line might be better than last year, and it just paved the way for 399 rushing yards in the conference championship game.

I would say Ohio State’s offense is a little better than it was last year, or at least it has the potential to be. But the defense is not as special as it was, and the last time it faced a dynamic passing attack, it gave up nearly 500 yards through the air to Indiana.

How does Clemson stack up compared to last year?

Raynor: I was surprised when it was announced this game would be in the Superdome, because the assumption was No. 1 Alabama would head to New Orleans because of proximity and the SEC’s Sugar Bowl ties. The Tide and Notre Dame are headed to Arlington, Texas, instead, where more fans will be allowed to attend.

There’s no doubt Clemson would love to exorcise the demons in this venue, though.

Like OSU, Clemson is different, and it starts with the offensive line. The Tigers lost four of their five starters from last year, with Ohio native Jackson Carman the lone returnee. It has taken them time to find their footing in run blocking, although they put the pieces together in the ACC championship game Saturday when senior running back Travis Etienne ran for 124 yards on 10 carries for his first 100-yard rushing game since October.

The other area in which Clemson is different offensively is at wide receiver. Swinney has said many times that if someone told him he’d be without Justyn Ross for the entire season because of a congenital fusion of the spine, in addition to being without Joseph Ngata and Frank Ladson Jr. for chunks of the year, he wouldn’t have believed it. But the Tigers have gotten creative. Senior Amari Rodgers and redshirt senior Cornell Powell are having the best seasons of their careers, and 6-foot-3 true freshman E.J. Williams is breaking out as a downfield threat at just the right time. Ohio State got a glimpse of it last year, but Etienne is a weapon in the passing game this year with 44 catches for 524 yards.

Defensively, Clemson lost five starters from the Fiesta Bowl and has played without another, defensive end Justin Foster. But defensive coordinator Brent Venables knows how to reload. The Tigers also recently got linebackers James Skalski and Mike Jones Jr. back from injury, as well as defensive tackle Tyler Davis. I’m curious to see where junior defensive end Xavier Thomas stands after he was unavailable against Notre Dame. I also wonder how Venables will scheme without Nolan Turner in the first half, which he’ll miss due to a targeting call against Notre Dame. I’m sure the Buckeyes remember the Clemson safety and his game-clinching pick in the end zone last year.

Landis: Yes, I think No. 24 in the Clemson jersey picking off Fields is etched into the back of every Ohio State player’s eyeballs.

Ohio State has been missing some players lately. It beat Michigan State 52-12 without five starters, including three offensive linemen. All of those players were back against Northwestern, but the Buckeyes were without wide receiver Chris Olave, linebacker Baron Browning and punter Drue Chrisman — 14 scholarship players total — in that game. There’s some hope the players who missed that game due to a positive COVID-19 test will be back for the Sugar Bowl. The Athletic’s Nicole Auerbach reported the Big Ten is going to amend its return-to-play rule to allow players back in 17 days rather than 21, but it’s still unknown if that change results in players returning for OSU.

Olave would obviously be a huge loss. But Browning is just as crucial in this matchup. When talking about Etienne getting more involved as a receiver, I wonder about the challenge that will present for the Buckeyes’ linebackers. Browning had been playing really well, and he’s the kind of athlete a team needs when it’s trying to plan against stopping someone like Etienne in space or contending with Lawrence’s running ability.

Another matchup aspect I’m wondering about is Ohio State’s run game against Clemson’s defense. OSU’s rushing attack is rounding into form. It’s gone over 300 yards in the last three games, and running back Trey Sermon just set a new single-game program record with 331 yards against Northwestern. It feels like it is becoming a strength. But then I look and see what Clemson’s defense just did, shutting down Notre Dame’s rushing attack, and I’m not sure if OSU can be as effective on the ground.

How has that gone this year? Is there any vulnerability in Clemson’s defense that Ohio State might be able to attack?

Raynor: Clemson’s rushing defense ranks No. 9 in the country and is hard to attack when the unit is fully healthy. Skalski’s presence in the ACC championship game couldn’t be missed from the first drive Saturday. The Tigers allowed the Fighting Irish to convert only 3 of 12 third downs after they opened the game 2-for-2 and limited them to 44 rushing yards. Poor Pittsburgh could muster only 16 yards on the ground last month against Clemson with 0.67 yards per carry.

Ohio State, however, has the best rushing offense of any team Clemson will have faced all season. It seems significant the Buckeyes are getting better each week in that regard. Mobile quarterbacks have also had success against the Tigers this season, albeit with caveats. Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong ran for 89 yards, though Davis was out. Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book ran for 67 yards in the first matchup, though Davis, Skalski and Jones were out. At full strength, Clemson swarmed Book and made it a priority to contain him in the rematch while also covering on the back end.

What’s the biggest difference you see in Fields this season?

Landis: He’s been a little more accurate down the field than he was last year. He’s got a great rapport with Olave and Garrett Wilson. He can stand to take more of what’s given to him. Defenses have put him in binds this year by changing their coverages post-snap, giving him some confusing looks and keeping him guessing a bit. Venables will have plenty of that for him. If Fields can become a little more willing to take available checkdowns and not always look for the home run, he can take a real step forward.

The thing that makes him special, though, is his ability to create. That was limited last year, as he played on an injured knee for the final three games of the season. He hasn’t run a ton this year, though he did top 100 yards against Michigan State. There’s been a desire for Day to let Fields loose as a runner. And when I think back to last year, that would have been a nice asset in the red zone. Ohio State needs to finish drives. It had three red zone trips and no touchdowns last year, which is how it can control the game from a statistical standpoint the way it did and still lose. I think those missed opportunities are why OSU has such a sour taste from last year’s loss. It was there for the taking, but you can’t settle for field goals in games like this.

Raynor: You’re right about that. Field goals won’t do it with these stakes and Lawrence operating Clemson’s offense. I’m excited for this matchup not only because of a second installment between two powerhouses, but another round of Lawrence versus Fields, specifically. The quarterbacks will bring their best with their seasons on the line, as they’ve done in the past.

Let me ask you this before we wrap up: Have you seen Ohio State at its best yet? And how do you gauge that when it has only played six games to Clemson’s 11?

For Clemson, there’s no doubt the Tigers just put together their best game of the season on Saturday night against Notre Dame. Swinney always says great teams get better as the season goes on, and Clemson is peaking at the right time.

Landis: It’s so odd, because I don’t know if I have a good answer for what has been Ohio State’s best game. The Big Ten championship game was its best game running the ball, but its worst passing performance in a few years. It has run out to big first-half leads in all but one of its games, but let a few of those opponents come back and hang around in the second half.

It’s all just been very inconsistent. OSU had three games canceled and had to alter some practice plans. The Buckeyes have not been a complete team in a few weeks and have played two games since Nov. 21. Their talent is undeniable. If everyone is healthy and the Buckeyes can somehow get things firing in all aspects, then their best game can measure up to any other team’s best game. But they haven’t played their best game, and I do wonder if there’s enough time for them to find that level before they get on the field with Clemson.

I agree with anyone who says Ohio State has an advantage in having played only six games and not incurring as much physical wear and tear. That’s real. But the lack of games also makes it hard to say just how good it actually is. I guess we’ll find out on Jan. 1.

(Photo of Justin Fields against Clemson in 2019: Mark J. Rebilas / USA Today)

giphy.gif

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

As the Houston Rockets prepare to open the regular season on Wednesday, they do so under a cloud of uncertainty with the face of their franchise. The Rockets do not plan to simply give away James Harden, the eight-time All-Star who has made clear that he prefers a trade to a contender.

The dynamics of the standoff will breed tension as the season tips off, and there have been signs in recent days that the pressure is already beginning to reveal itself, sources have told The Athletic.

Harden reported to training camp one week late on Dec. 8 with the intention of keeping things professional with the team despite his preference to be on a contender elsewhere, but the environment has gotten tense around the team in recent days.

As long as Harden remains on the roster, there will be a greater level of scrutiny around the team. All eyes will be on the Rockets and every move made, by Harden especially, will be dissected and interpreted under the context of his desire to be elsewhere.

For instance, The Athletic learned that Harden has had multiple verbal confrontations with teammates in practice on Sunday and Monday, and one confrontation included Harden throwing a basketball at a teammate on Monday.

Sources say Harden and rookie Jae’Sean Tate had a heated exchange during Monday’s practice, culminating in Harden throwing the ball in Tate’s direction. The ball did not hit Tate. Interactions like these between teammates during practice can be part of a normal, competitive environment. Harden, however, is known by those in the organization as a laid-back and calm personality —especially as superstars go — and some around the franchise are viewing this as rising to an uncharacteristic level of frustration given his ongoing situation.

Harden appeared in two preseason games for the Rockets, averaging 16 points and 6.5 assists in 24.2 minutes a night. Sources have described Harden as engaged and encouraging with teammates on game nights, discussing strategy and how to improve on the floor.

Harden, 31, has made clear that he wants a trade to a contender, with the Philadelphia 76ers, Brooklyn Nets, Miami Heat and Milwaukee Bucks atop his preferred destinations, according to sources. However, the Rockets have rebuilt the roster, have had strong moments of growth in the preseason and have Harden contractually obligated.

All along, the Rockets have been building an identity under new coach Stephen Silas, with former All-Stars John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins helping lead a group of young talent such as Christian Wood and Danuel House and productive veterans in Eric Gordon, Ben McLemore and David Nwaba.

Having a franchise player express uncertainty with the organization before training camp can make it difficult for coaches and players. Just ask the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In 2018, the Timberwolves were in a similar situation when Jimmy Butler demanded a trade just days before training camp opened. As much as then coach Tom Thibodeau and Butler’s teammates tried to downplay the situation, it elevated the heat on each practice and each game. Every move, every little thing was scrutinized to see where Butler stood with his teammates and the organization.

Just like the Rockets are doing now with Harden, Thibodeau and general manager Scott Layden presented a united front back then, saying that they would not trade Butler unless they received a premium in return for a player whom Thibodeau viewed to be among the top 10 in the league.

Eventually, Butler continued to grow impatient with the lack of trade movement and the tension continued to rise, including during a fiery practice appearance right before the start of the season. It made for a rocky ending that saw Butler moved less than one month into the season. The season had been effectively altered by that point and Thibodeau himself was fired two months after trading Butler to the Philadelphia 76ers.

There were also differences in that situation to the current one in Houston, of course. Butler is known as someone who competes with his heart on his sleeve, compared to a more even-keeled Harden. Butler also was in the last season of his contract.

The Rockets are hoping to avoid the volatility in this case, and the fact that Harden has multiple guaranteed seasons remaining gives the franchise more leverage than the Timberwolves had.

Harden has three seasons left on his deal (with a player option in 2022), and while the Rockets have engaged with multiple teams on trade options, the franchise is operating with no sense of urgency and has informed interested teams that their steep price point must be met to move the former league MVP.

Houston begins their season at home on Wednesday, and Harden has committed to playing through this situation. One thing about Harden that is universally known: He loves this sport more than anything. So Houston will continue to rely on his production on the floor so long as he continues suiting up as he has every intention of doing.

All of it will just be happening under a bigger microscope than usual.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
In Kliff Kingsbury’s first season as an NFL head coach last season, he breathed life into one of the worst offenses in recent memory. He didn’t have a lot of success as a college head coach (.467 winning percentage) but was seen as an offensive whiz kid for his creative designs and high-flying offense at Texas Tech. For a season, he lived up to his reputation: In 2018 the Cardinals had a -41.8% DVOA rating (Football Outsiders’ efficiency metric), by far the worst in the league; with Kingsbury calling the shots in 2019, the Cardinals’ offense improved to a 3.2% DVOA rating, which ranked 13th.

Coming into 2020, expectations for the Cardinals’ offense were high. They had reigning rookie of the year Kyler Murray coming into his second season and made a lopsided trade in their favor for Deandre Hopkins, one of the best receivers in the game. However, the offense has regressed this season. Their DVOA rating dropped to -2.2% (20th in the league) and Kingsbury has made some awful game management mistakes. Even though the Cardinals have increased their win total for the second year in a row and are still in the playoff hunt, some fans and media are calling for Kingsbury’s head. Do they have a case, or does Kingsbury deserve one more season to right his wrongs?

The case against Kingsbury
Offensive issues

There are clear problems with the Cardinals’ offense that can be attributed to coaching. They overly rely on concepts like bubble screens and “stick” and throw too many speed outs, hitches and fades to Hopkins. I had trouble finding full play-action or dropback concepts that they’ve hung their hat on — other than mesh, which one can argue they run too much. They seem to have a collection of plays rather than a coherent system, and a lot of the time, Murray and the offense look like they aren’t on the same page or are unsure what they are supposed to do. There isn’t a lot of precision or quality sequencing going on in their offense.

They don’t build on top of their concepts very well. For example, Sean McVay’s offense is built on the outside run. When defenses overplay the outside zone, they run boot. If they overplay the boot, they’ll run a throwback leak concept. Kingsbury’s system lacks staple counters that they can execute with precision.

Week 12, 10:24 remaining in the fourth quarter, second-and-5

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-06-30_AM.png

On this play, Kingsbury tried to design a boot off of their speed option, which is unusual, but the design was poorly conceived and executed.

A speed option is when the offensive line leaves the play-side end or linebacker unblocked. The quarterback takes the snap and attacks the edge and can keep the ball or pitch the ball to a running back outside of him. The Cardinals tried to fake a speed option to the left and then boot to the right with a flood concept.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-06-37_AM.png

On a boot concept, the run fake is supposed to fool the backside end, which would allow the quarterback to get outside of him. The problem with this concept is that a speed option doesn’t entice the backside end to chase the play because there’s no threat of a cutback on the play. The Patriots stayed home and defended the play well.

Tight end Dan Arnold came off the line too slow and tried to go around the linebackers, which threw off the timing of the play.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-06-44_AM.png

Murray’s first option in the flat was covered. Arnold was Murray’s second read, but he was too slow and covered. Hopkins could have been Murray’s third read, but he looked like he didn’t know what he was supposed to do and didn’t run a route. Murray ended up throwing the ball away out of the back of the end zone. This lack of precision is littered throughout the Cardinals’ tape and could be a reason why Murray doesn’t throw with more anticipation — he isn’t sure where his receivers will be, or he doesn’t trust them to get to their landmarks.

The Cardinals have major protection issues schematically and talent-wise, but they’re masked by Murray’s ability to scramble and extend plays. All five starting linemen are either average or below-average starters, and they’re better run blockers than pass blockers. The interior of the line gets pushed back a lot, and at times it has trouble handling simple stunts. That’s a problem when your starting quarterback is only 5-10.

Week 12, 10:49 remaining in the second quarter, third-and-10

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-05-27_AM.png

Here, the Patriots ran a simple tackle/linebacker twist. The nose tackle shot into the offensive left A-gap, while linebacker Chase Winovich looped inside to the right A-gap. The line slid right, so center Mason Cole should have passed off the nose tackle to his left guard and picked up Winovich.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-05-36_AM.png

The nose tackle slanted and fell on the ground, but the center kept his eyes on him and missed Winovich looping inside. To the offensive right, the Patriots only rushed one. The tackle had help from a chip block. Technically, it’s not right guard J.R. Sweezy’s job to help on the backside, but with two players already blocking the end to that side, he should have looked to help elsewhere.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-05-44_AM.png

Cole and Sweezy didn’t see Winovich until it was too late, and he was able to get in Murray’s face instantly on a simple twist. This lack of awareness and protection breakdown happens far too often.

There are times when Arizona is out-schemed from a protection standpoint. I’m unsure if this is on Murray for not calling the right protection or if it’s on Cole. Also, they don’t have good answers when they’re blitzed. There aren’t hot routes and sight adjustments to go to when Murray is blitzed. Again, Murray’s ability to get away from pressure masks a lot of these issues, but it’s not sustainable.

Week 16, 7:14 remaining in the first quarter, third-and-10

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-06-03_AM.png

On third-and-10, the 49ers showed a pressure front with linebacker Fred Warner (No. 54) mugged in the B-gap. Cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon was also on the line of the scrimmage, so the offense should have accounted for him as well. Arnold’s responsibility was to chip the end to his side, but with Witherspoon on the line, someone should have made a call to alert Arnold to maybe just get a hand on the end while keeping his eyes on Witherspoon.

The line slides to the left toward Warner. The center and right side of the line (left of the image) were responsible for the nose tackle, defensive end and Warner. The left side of the line (right of the image) and the running back were responsible for the three defensive players to their side.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-06-10_AM.png

Either Arnold blew his assignment or no one made a call to alert him or change the protection. Arnold chipped the end and no one blocked Witherspoon, who blitzed. Warner dropped back to take Arnold in case he released on a route. Right guard Justin Murray (No. 71) was responsible for Warner but didn’t block anyone initially after Warner dropped. Some elite guards have the awareness to look outside and pick up Witherspoon.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-06-17_AM.png

Witherspoon was untouched, but Murray was able to get away from him and throw the ball away.

The Cardinals don’t have enough answers against the blitz. There are too many instances when Murray is left without a hot read or sight adjustment and is forced to just try to make a play with his feet. Another problem is his height. There are times when defenses will call a blitz or pressure scheme that attacks inside and just have their edge defenders sit back to contain him and try to drop to where his hot routes might be. Kingsbury has to give his offense better tools to combat the blitzes.

In the NFL, play design is about creating mismatches. The Cardinals do not do a good enough job of doing this. Hopkins doesn’t move around the formation enough. According to Pro Football Focus, Hopkins has lined up outside to the left on 523 of his 632 routes this season. He’s still dominant enough to be productive, but his job could be easier.

In the fourth quarter of last week’s 20-12 loss to the 49ers, the Cardinals were down by eight points. After scoring a touchdown, they went for two. Kingsbury called a goal-line fade to Hopkins, which is a low percentage play, but Hopkins is a jump-ball extraordinaire, so it wasn’t a bad call. However, Hopkins lined up to the left and was matched up against the 49ers’ best corner Jason Verrett. The 49ers don’t move their corners, so Arizona likely could have matched up Hopkins with the 49ers’ backup corner (Witherspoon), if they flipped the formation. Murray threw an inaccurate pass, but regardless, the thought process in creating and attacking mismatches was lacking.

At the end of the game, the Cardinals had another chance to tie with a touchdown and two-point conversion. They drove to the 49ers’ 14-yard line and called another fade. This time, they picked on Witherspoon but didn’t match up Hopkins on him. Murray targeted receiver Christian Kirk and underthrew the pass, which was intercepted. Results aside, why wouldn’t you want to match your best receiver against a backup corner in crunch time?

Game management

Kingsbury has made several questionable clock and game management decisions that have hurt the Cardinals this season.

In Week 12 against the Patriots, the score was tied 17-17 late in the fourth quarter. The Cardinals drove to the Patriots’ 36-yard line with 2:15 remaining and with a fresh set of downs. Instead of trying to score a touchdown, Kingsbury elected to try to run out the clock and play for a field goal. They ran the ball three consecutive times, but the clock was stopped twice with the 2-minute warning and the Patriots’ final timeout. They ended up settling for a 45-yard field goal attempt with 1:52 left in the game, which kicker Zane Gonzalez missed. On the next possession, the Patriots drove down the field and won with a field goal.

This is one example of several puzzling late-game decisions from Kingsbury this season. The Cardinals’ front office has to ask themselves if Kingsbury can learn from his mistakes and improve or if he will continue to put his team in precarious situations because of mismanagement.

Penalties

Through 15 games, the Cardinals lead the league in penalties with 107. They are second in pre-snap penalties with 44. The Cardinals are a flat-out undisciplined team, and that reflects on coaching. Last season, the Cardinals were 10th in penalties, so this season isn’t an outlier. Obviously, good teams are routinely near the bottom of the league in this category. Without being in the building, I don’t know what kind of culture is built there or how much attention goes into eliminating these penalties, but the results clearly have been unacceptable for two seasons in a row. Becoming a more disciplined team has to be a major point of emphasis for Kingsbury if he returns for another season.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
The case for Kingsbury
Creativity

From a play design perspective, Kingsbury has shown creativity running some cleverly designed concepts. He isn’t afraid to draw up or borrow plays from the lower levels that you won’t typically see in the NFL. He has a unique football mind and his offense will never look like the status quo.

Week 2, 0:14 remaining in the first quarter, first-and-10

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-07-01_AM.png

Here, the Cardinals lined up running back Kenyan Drake in an H-back position with Chase Edmonds in the backfield. Drake would fake an inside handoff to the offensive left, while right tackle Kelvin Beachum (No. 68) pulled to fake a lead block for him.

Voila_Capture-2020-12-30_12-07-10_AM.png

The fake handoff with the tackle pull made Sweezy’s block on the defensive tackle easy and pulled both linebackers toward Drake. Edmonds ran to the perimeter to lead block for Murray, who had a wide-open lane to the sideline to the run through.

With two seasons of film, Kingsbury has to decide which concepts are effective and will be used as his bread-and-butter plays. He has to use his creativity to draw up better counters for how defenses want to defend his base concepts. If he comes back next season, hiring a senior offensive consultant with years of NFL experience to help him streamline his playbook could pay dividends.

Kyler Murray’s development

Without Kingsbury, there’s a good chance that the Cardinals wouldn’t have drafted Murray. Although Murray still has room to grow, he has been spectacular, and his production passing and running has been near historic. Although some speculated that an “air raid” team would have trouble running the ball, Kingsbury and offensive line coach Sean Kugler have created a surprisingly effective run game that highlights Murray’s strengths. If another coach comes in with a different system, will it fit Murray’s strengths? How long will it take Murray to learn another system? With Kingsbury, the Cardinals know their quarterback can be productive, and a third year of continuity could be best for his development.

Lack of offensive talent

Outside of Hopkins, the Cardinals don’t have a lot of talent on offense. Pro Football Focus’ Mike Renner noted that Kirk hasn’t broken a single tackle on 48 catches this season, which is a problem on an offense that focuses on so much short passing. The Cardinals are 15th in YAC with 1,541 with 509 of those yards coming from Hopkins. If they continue to throw the ball short, the Cardinals need a dynamic tight end or another receiver who can break tackles and create more yards after the catch. Arnold has made some plays, but defenses aren’t overly concerned with stopping him. Murray needs another consistent weapon to throw to.

More importantly, the Cardinals have to upgrade the talent on their offensive line, especially on the interior. With Murray’s height, they can’t let the pocket continually get pushed into his lap. Their lack of protection could be why Murray has to throw the ball short so much.

When Kingsbury took the Cardinals job, the team was a dumpster fire. To take them from that to a playoff contender in two seasons is an accomplishment, and it would be unusual to even consider firing a coach after his team shows progress in two consecutive seasons. The decision could be made for them if the Cardinals make the playoffs and even win a game. Still, Kingbury’s playcalling, game management and overall team management have been bizarre at times this season and have directly held back the team. Is Kingsbury, 41, just a young coach still learning? Can Arizona add experience to his staff to help him next season? Or is he just an offensive maverick who doesn’t check all the boxes required for an NFL head coach?

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
What awaits Ohio State against Alabama: 12 coaches break down the Tide

GettyImages-1294061482-scaled-e1609819730943-1024x681.jpg

By Bruce Feldman 4h ago
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

Nick Saban has had a bunch of great teams in his time in Tuscaloosa, but the Alabama coach has never had an offense as explosive as the one that will face Ohio State for the national championship on Jan. 11. This Tide attack has set numerous offensive records this season and has produced three Heisman Trophy finalists in wide receiver DeVonta Smith, quarterback Mac Jones and running back Najee Harris.

The Athletic spoke with 12 rival coaches who said the hype is well-deserved. The coaches who have faced the Tide provided great insight into what makes Alabama so good but also where the Tide isn’t so great. On Wednesday, coaches who have faced the Ohio State will do the same on the Buckeyes.

The offense
The Tide’s physicality and its offensive line came up more than any other aspect of the team in all of our conversations with SEC coaches this week. And even though Alabama lost standout center Landon dikkerson to injury in the SEC championship, the coaches we talked to still believe this is the best front in the country On Monday the group was named the winner of the Joe Moore Award, given to the nation’s top offensive line. Every defensive coach who spoke for this story said this is the best offensive line they’ve seen in a years. Every single one.

“They have some excellent players, obviously, but it’s also how well they work together,” said one defensive line coach. “They’re always in sync. They’re great with combination blocks and also very effective in their outside zone. They make defenses go so flat towards the sidelines and create these vertical seams that allow Najee to cut back. Najee reads it, and he’s got multiple ways how to run it.

“They’re such a problem for the D-linemen, you gotta get your hands on that guard or go make the play, but they do such a good job of getting guys out of their gaps. They’re so in-sync, and they really come off the ball together. They’re really effective in climbing to get your linebacker, working together and communicating.

“I think they do the best job of running their outside zone. They’re very well-detailed. It’s been the same way for a long time. You gotta have a lot of time to prepare for it or you’re gonna get exposed.”

Another longtime line coach summed up the Tide front this way: “I thought A&M’s O-line was really, really good. I was super impressed with how they functioned, but Alabama is in a class of their own.

“Their right guard (Emil Ekiyor) looks like the smallest one, and he is a monster (at 6-3, 324).”

The biggest of the bunch is 6-7, 360-pound right tackle Evan Neal. “He is a fukking giant, but he can really move, too,” said an SEC head coach. “Just a huge freak.”

One of the SEC D-line coaches said he thinks Neal’s best position is at guard but just raves about the sophomore’s athleticism. “For him to be that big and move that well-— you just don’t find that.”

“(Alex) Leatherwood is a better tackle now. He’s a stud. He’s struggled a bit in protection, but he’s a good athlete who is really strong and physical. He’s what you want in a left tackle.

“I do think their guards are a little suspect in pass protection. Speed rushers can give them problems.”

Said an SEC East coach: “Leatherwood is a junkyard dog. So tough. I think (offensive line coach Kyle) Flood’s done an amazing job there.”

Harris, at 230 pounds, presents all sorts of problems for defenses running behind this mammoth line. “He’s a first-round back,” said an SEC secondary coach. “He’s everything you want.”

“I think he is the best back they’ve had there under Saban, either him or Derrick Henry,” said one of the SEC D-line coaches. “He’s quick enough to beat DBs, but he’s also very physical. He’s got a good trunk with really good balance. So he can bounce off guys.”

In Jones, the Tide has the only quarterback in the FBS with a passer rating above 200 (203.03). In his first full season as a starter, Jones has a 36-4 TD-INT ratio and is completing 77 percent of his passes.

“He’s very accurate,” says an SEC secondary coach. “He really understands what they’re trying to do. He knows where to go with the ball.” The coach added that he took it as a sign Saban knew he had something special in Jones’ makeup after the QB stayed around the program and didn’t transfer out and never received a hint he probably would never play there. “When’s the last time Saban kept a quarterback for four years there?” the coach said. “Nick wanted him to stay there.”

Maybe the scariest thing about the Tide’s offense is that it has been so potent despite not having Jaylen Waddle, their dazzling receiver-returner, after he broke his ankle on Oct. 24. Waddle has been running and might get cleared for the title game. “When we played against them, Waddle was their featured guy, and you just can’t tackle him,” said an SEC secondary coach.

As exciting as Waddle is, Smith has been the best player in college football. He has had a season (105 catches, 1,641 yards and 20 TDs) unlike any receiver in Alabama history — and the Tide has had a run of great ones in the past decade.

“He’s always been a special talent,” says one rival coach. “The thing people couldn’t wrap their heads around is that he’s so skinny but you have to get past that. He’s so fundamentally sound from a technique standpoint. He can run all day long and he has the best ball skills and body control of any of that group (of Alabama receivers including Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs from 2019).

“He’s probably a high 4.4 (40) guy, but he’s really deceptively fast because he has this great long stride. He can close the (DB’s) cushion so fast, and he plays at that speed all the time. He creates so much separation. He’s also always been the best blocker (among wideouts) and the most physical.”

Says a secondary coach who has spent three decades working with defensive backs: “I told people last year that (Smith) is better than both those cats that got drafted first round last year. How in the world he didn’t have more recognition a year ago? He might not be physically looking at him, but playing-wise, its not even close.
He’s quick. He’s faster than everybody thinks he is. I don’t know how big his hands are, but I’d bet they’re 10 inches or bigger. He’s just so natural. He’s been durable and tough and competitive.”

“He’s good as a football player as I’ve seen in my life,” said an SEC West offensive line coach. “He looks like a string bean. He’s just fluid. So effortless.”

Since Waddle got hurt, sophomore John Metchie has emerged as Alabama’s No. 2 receiver. According to one coach we spoke to, the 5-10, 195-pounder from Canada “doesn’t have the straight-line speed of Smith or Waddle, but he has elite short area quickness and great ball skills. He’s tough. Very competitive. He’s probably a mid-4.5 guy, but he can separate at the top of the route. He’s a savvy route runner and is very competitive.”

Among the other Tide skill guys, sophomore tight end Jahleel Billingsley is one to keep an eye on. “He’s probably a 4.5 guy at 230 (pounds) and has exceptional ball skills.”

Offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, the Broyles Award winner as college football’s top assistant coach this season, also drew special notice from the coaches we spoke to. “A great play-caller,” said one coach. “I think he’s as good as Lane but without all the tweeting.

“DeVonta Smith is a stud, and Sark really knows how to get him the ball and attack your coverages. He’s great at finding ways to feed his star player the ball. That’s not always a given with a lot of teams.”

“I think what Sark has done a good job with,” says another SEC coach, “is he realizes that if I get them the ball in space quickly, every play is like a punt return. They’ve got great athletes and you can try to plan for it, but if you’re 8 to 10 yards away, you’re gonna struggle tackling these guys. So when they motion a guy or orbit motion a guy, you think, here comes the swing screen and you know what’s coming, but you can’t tackle him. You saw that against Notre Dame. They just couldn’t tackle those guys. Sark knows how to get their mojo going.”

Says an SEC East coach: “Sark does a lot of motions to set things up, and every single run has a play-action pass off it. You can’t rotate your safeties. They give you a lot of problems.”

As with most of the best offenses, Alabama becomes a pick-your-poision proposition for opposing defenses — and it’s a lot of poison. “You can’t load the box and stop the run because the pass game will kill you,” said an SEC assistant who has coached on both sides of the ball. “You can’t stay back and stop the pass because Harris and the run game will kill you.

“I think you have to stop the pass — you have to give up the run. They get explosives with the pass. Arkansas had a great defensive plan. Watch the first half of that. They dropped eight and forced them to throw the checkdowns. I think you have to force them to drive the ball.”

Alabama still won that game, 52-3, but only had 443 total yards and a season-low 208 through the air. Smith had a season-low three catches for 22 yards, and the Tide’s longest pass play was 23 yards. Yet it was still 38-3 at halftime.

Just how special is this Alabama offense? There is an interesting debate among some of the SEC coaches about whether it’s even better than the record-smashing LSU offense that propelled the Tigers to their 15-0 national championship run last season.

“Alabama’s better on the line. Much,” says an SEC East assistant. “Better at running back. Quarterback is a different story. Joe (Burrow) could extend plays. (Jones) is not even in the same conversation.”

“Alabama is way more physical than that LSU team,” says one veteran coach. “They crush people. They get on their double-teams and are pinning guys on their back. They are so well-coached. Harris is a more physical running back than (Clyde Edwards-Helaire).

“The Jones kid is very good, but he isn’t Joe Burrow, who could beat you with his legs. Jones can’t do that. Burrow was a master operating that system. He was always on the attack and had you on your heels. Both offenses are great. It’s just they’re different challenges.”

Part 1

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
The defense
The book on Alabama’s defense isn’t jaw-dropping. The Tide, ranked No. 17 in the country in fewest yards per play allowed (5.00) has improved quite a bit on defense since the first month of the season when Ole Miss put up 647 yards on them and Georgia and A&M averaged almost six yards per play.

“I don’t think their defense can stop that offense,” said one SEC offensive analyst. “They’re talented, don’t get me wrong. But they’re not as good as what they have been. They just don’t have those same types of guys. They don’t have those elite players up front. They’re not as stout as they’ve been in the past. That’s the glaring thing you see on film.

“Their safeties did get better as the year went on. I think they’re playing with more confidence. They didn’t play as much man as they had in the past. Maybe that was because they were breaking in Daniel Wright and (Jordan) Battle on the back end.”

GettyImages-1294062828-scaled-e1609819624212-1024x684.jpg

Alabama’s defensive front is not as elite as in the recent past, but Christian Barmore is a threat nonetheless. (Tom Pennington / Getty Images)

The headliner of the defense is All-American cornerback Patrick Surtain, although there is some debate on whether he’s as good as some other corners the Tide has had in the past decade. “I think he’s right there with (LSU’s Derek) Stingley as the best corners out there,” said and SEC analyst. “If you’re throwing it to your star and he’s on him, it’s gonna be 50-50 when it’s normally 70-30. If he’s left on an island, you don’t go to that island.”

“I thought he was a damn good player,” said one SEC East coach of the 6-2, 202-pound junior. “His pedal was good. He really supports the run game, too.”

The one knock on Surtain, from another SEC East coach, was this: “I think he’s a really good player. But I think he’s more of a safety. He is long and physical, but he doesn’t get in and out of his breaks as you’d want. He can put his hands on people in college. He doesn’t get challenged very much. I think (Chris) Olave and Garrett Wilson will have some success on him. Those Ohio State receivers can really play.”

The Tide’s other starting corner is 6-1, 192-pound junior Josh Jobe. “I think he’s a really good player who has a lot of length,” said an SEC East coach.

“We tried to stay away from Surtain,” said another SEC coach. “We wanted to attack the Jobe. We thought he’s long but limited and thought he would struggle, but he really didn’t.”

Alabama freshman Malachi Moore, who won the starting star position, picked off a team-high three passes. “They’re complicated on the back end,” said an SEC West receivers coach. “We watched him on film and he was overly aggressive. We thought he would bust but he didn’t. He also looks better in person. He’s active and can change direction well. Really twitchy. I was impressed.

“Their safeties are big and physical and pretty athletic, like what you’d expect. They don’t try to tackle you; they try to break you in half.”

Of the linebackers, an SEC East coach said, “Dylan Moses is a good player and people talk about him a lot, but I think Christian Harris is their best linebacker. He’s tough, physical and can really run. Moses just is not the same as he was before he got hurt (knee last year). He can’t run like that any more.”

An SEC offensive analyst said, “Dylan is very instinctive. He can get downhill and reads things out really well. I think he does a good job of fitting (in the run), and he recognizes good run schemes and doesn’t get out of place.”

“Dylan’s where he’s supposed to be, but you can tell he can’t run like he could before,” said an SEC offensive line coach. “You saw it the other night against Notre Dame. He was trying to cover a back out of the backfield, he was just grabbing them. He couldn’t keep up.”

Another SEC offensive line coach said of the Alabama defensive line: “They’re good, but there wasn’t that freak that really scared you. Auburn and Georgia have a freak. Alabama didn’t have that guy.”

“They don’t have that dominant pass rusher like they’ve had in the past,” said one SEC East coach. “(Christian) Barmore is a hell of a player though.”

Barmore, a 6-5, 310-pound sophomore, made third-team All-American this season after leading Alabama with six sacks. “Barmore is a NFL player,” said a veteran SEC East coach. “He’s not a top-10 pick, though.”

Same as with their offense, the biggest thing the coaches kept harping on was the Tide’s physicality on defense. “They are so physical,” said an SEC offensive line coach. “When they hit our kids, it made me hurt, especially that Number 8 (Harris). He hit our running back so hard, his head was bouncing off the grass.

“You can’t run screens. They’re gonna physically manhandle you. You wanna throw it for five yards? Cool. That’s all you’re getting. You’re going nowhere fast. They just rally.”

As impressive as Justin Fields and Trey Sermon were Friday in the CFP semifinal, one SEC East coach was skeptical that the Buckeyes would have similar kind of success against the Tide. “Alabama’s defense is better up front than Clemson’s, and it’s much better on the back end than Clemson.”

Three more keys to keep in mind
• Ohio State’s pace of play. Ryan Day and the Buckeyes are expected to go fast. “As has been the case with them in the past, tempo hurts (Alabama),” said an SEC coach. “They’ve struggled getting lined up. They get gassed easily, and you see times where they don’t get the signal in quick enough.”

• One prediction by a defensive coach who watched Fields and the Buckeyes light Clemson up for Monday night: “The post was open against Clemson. The post won’t be open against Alabama. (Saban) will close the middle of the field.”

• A final thought from one former head coach-turned-assistant: “If you can’t score 35-40 with your offense, you can’t beat them. They do things right. No fumbles. No stupid penalties. They not gonna beat themselves.”

(Top photo of Najee Harris: Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

Part 2

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
Terry McLaurin’s availability could be his best ability against Tampa Bay

GettyImages-1288122716-scaled-e1609801577586-1024x683.jpg

By Ben Standig Jan 4, 2021
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

Ron Rivera did not practice what he preached during last Thursday’s practice.

The Washington Football Team prepped for Sunday’s night game at Philadelphia, where a win clinched the franchise’s first NFC East title since 2015. The head coach maintained his usual overseer-in-chief role on the main field when he noticed activity elsewhere. Rivera tells his players to give what they’re doing their full concentration, and he allowed himself to get distracted — but in a good way.

Terry McLaurin’s attempted recovery from a high-ankle sprain seemed audacious considering the usual recovery time of four to six weeks. Washington’s top wide receiver sat out the Week 16 loss to Carolina, but hope existed for a quicker-than-expected return based on McLaurin stating the stiff ankle felt loose. Then he moved on from words to action by running sprints.

“I saw him run a 100-yard dash,” said Rivera, who immediately understood the significance. “I knew he was playing. That’s all it took.”

Getting McLaurin on the field required “round the clock treatment,” with good reason. He popped up on the injury report with the ankle in Week 11 but then aggravated it in the Dec. 20 home loss to Seattle. A “normal” rehab would have McLaurin back, maybe, by NFC conference championship weekend in late January.

With Washington’s win-or-else scenario on Sunday, McLaurin thought he had no time to wait.

But considering McLaurin’s big-picture importance and Washington realistically not a Super Bowl contender this season, was playing the second-year standout on that tender ankle worth the risk?

Well, Washington did claim the division crown, and the second-year receiver’s presence proved significant.

After watching his teammates lose to the Panthers, McLaurin fought through the pain for a shot at returning. He received massage treatment and visited a chiropractor in addition to the daily sessions with Washington’s training staff. By Thursday he knew running was possible, and therefore “I was going to go,” McLaurin said.

But, again, was this worth the risk for Washington’s top offensive weapon? Philadelphia rested numerous players, and its secondary played severely short-handed at cornerback. The drop from McLaurin to the next best receiver is steep, but logically this team should have been able to drop this version of the Eagles without him. (Yes, it almost didn’t happen.)

That’s about history. Washington’s future includes a date with the league’s third-highest scoring team. Tampa Bay averages 30.8 points, nearly 10 points more than Washington (20.9). Keeping up with Tom Brady and friends Saturday night at FedEx Field might not be possible. Having the healthiest version of McLaurin is required. What that means after playing 51 snaps at Philadelphia, with adrenaline taking McLaurin to the end, is among this week’s questions.

“I worked really hard to try to just be out here for our guys,” McLaurin said. “(The ankle is) sore right now, but it feels a lot better because we won.”

Rivera doesn’t imagine watching McLaurin on a side field this week.

“I’m pretty confident that he’ll be a little further along than he was last week,” Rivera said Monday. “We should have a couple good days of practice, so I do anticipate seeing him out there in a limited role and taking specific reps more so than anything else.”

McLaurin’s presence is obviously important to any chance of beating Tampa. Washington relied on only three wide receivers against the Eagles. One of them, Cam Sims, played on all 63 of the team’s offensive snaps. Steven Sims Jr. received 30 snaps, while Isaiah Wright and Dontrelle Inman played two each.

Rookie Antonio Gandy-Golden and Robert Foster, a special-teams contributor with speed, were healthy scratches. Gandy-Golden played 83 percent of the snaps against the Panthers last week after missing the previous seven games with a hamstring injury. The fourth-round selection failed to receive a target against Carolina, and Washington went elsewhere for Week 17.

Some of those receiver snaps went to a second tight end alongside Logan Thomas, who played all 63 of Washington’s offensive snaps. Washington needed extra blocking help for quarterback Alex Smith, which led to Jeremy Sprinkle’s 23 snaps, or 37 percent of all the snaps Sunday night. That’s his highest snap percentage since hitting 41 percent in Week 7. Third-stringer Marcus Baugh played six snaps for his highest total since Week 4, and tackle David Sharpe entered as a sixth lineman four times.

Tampa Bay’s pass rush might force Washington into a similar pattern Saturday night.

Four other observations, for Washington’s four NFC East victories this season, the team’s most division wins since 2015:

• Don’t fret if you’ve yet to rewatch the tape of Smith’s first start since Week 14. Sleep in even if you want to give the 36-year-old QB a second look before grading his performance. All one needs to know is Rivera acknowledged he “thought about” changing quarterbacks during the game. That would have meant going to Taylor Heinicke, who has just one career NFL start, which came in 2018.

Heinicke is the QB flavor of the month after his interesting relief appearance against Carolina, but there’s no chance any coach considers using him over Smith under normal circumstances.

There’s no normal when discussing a player with Smith’s injury and surgery history on that famous right leg. Now Smith has a calf injury, initially suffered in the 49ers’ game, in the same leg.

But Washington wins when Smith plays. In six games with him starting this season, Washington finished 5-1. WFT was 2-8 with Dwayne Haskins or Kyle Allen starting at quarterback.

What Smith lacks in mobility he makes up for with smarts and accuracy. His ability to read coverages pre-snap leads to quick and often accurate decisions. Smith completed 68.7 percent of his 32 passes against Philadelphia with two touchdowns. His 13-yard touchdown pass to Thomas in traffic with 20 seconds remaining before halftime put Washington up for good.

“I thought he did a good job, especially in the two-minute drive,” Rivera said of Smith. “The opening drive and two-minute drive are about as good as it gets — it really is. And it just shows you that when we’re clicking, we can click. There’s room for improvement for us as a football team, though.”

Smith delivered at times. He certainly appeared far more capable than during his previous appearance in the first half against San Francisco. But he tossed two interceptions, including a doozy in the fourth quarter that set up Philadelphia for a potential game-tying or go-ahead score. And not turning the ball over is among his chief strengths as a quarterback.

The real concern came in the pocket. To say Smith displayed limited mobility would be overstating his level of struggle Sunday. And that was against a Philadelphia defense without impact linemen Fletcher Cox and Derek Barnett, among others. Philly dialed up more blitzes in the second half as Smith became more and more stationary.

“In the beginning of the game, felt pretty good moving around and feeling light on my feet,” Smith said. “Definitely the second half, though, obviously I (was) feeling it a little bit.”

Rivera will do whatever is possible to have Smith ready for Saturday. But Washington will certainly have to do more offensively to keep up with Brady and his potent Buccaneers offense.

Still, Rivera said Monday that he enters every week with a game plan he thinks each of his quarterbacks can execute. In Carolina, he said, the Panthers didn’t adjust going into a game based on whether Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Allen or Heinicke was most likely to play in a given week. Washington will approach its offensive hopes against Tampa Bay in the same manner.

“If Alex can go, Alex will go,” Rivera said. “If Alex can give us one quarter, two quarters, three, whatever, that’s great. If not, I believe Taylor will be ready. If something happens, I believe (third-string quarterback) Steven (Montez) will be ready. … Until I get a chance to find out where Alex is, I can’t really predict anything. Whatever the situation is, we’ll play.”

• Fabian Moreau played roughly half of Washington’s defensive snaps — 72 — in its first two games of the season. From there, the cornerback tasked with making receivers disappear faded away himself. The 2017 third-round selection did not line up defensively the next three games, and he played only 49 snaps over 13 games entering Week 17.

With the division title in play, though, defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio called Moreau’s number again against the Eagles.

Rivera cited Washington’s solid group of corners for blocking Moreau’s opportunity. The top three options — Kendall Fuller, Ronald Darby and Jimmy Moreland — largely remained injury-free, beyond Fuller missing those first two games with leg injuries.

Moreau played 35 snaps — 51 percent — against the Eagles. Moreland, Washington’s usual nickel corner, received 33 snaps. Fuller played in all 68 of Washington’s defensive snaps, one more than Darby, who, like Moreau, will enter free agency this offseason. Washington also played Chase Young a lot down the stretch. Through WFT’s first 14 games, the rookie defensive end logged 91 percent of the team’s defensive snaps just once. In the last two games, Young hit 92 and 91 percent, recording a sack and recovering a fumble in both.

Washington’s secondary next faces Tampa Bay’s explosive wide receiver trio of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and Antonio Brown, with tight end Rob Gronkowski causing his usual havoc. Moreau’s workload could remain ample if the coaches desire a bigger defensive back in the slot.

• Speaking of Evans, Tampa Bay’s leading receiver suffered a knee injury Sunday in the Buccaneers’ 44-27 victory over the Atlanta Falcons. Coach Bruce Arians told reporters Monday that an MRI revealed “no structural damage” with little swelling. Evans is considered day to day.

The 6-foot-5 target rates among the league’s top receivers and just completed his seventh consecutive season with more than 1,000 yards since entering the league in 2014. Historical stats against Washington mean little considering the recent arrival of Rivera and Del Rio. Regardless, Evans’ 23.6 yards-per-catch average on 18 receptions in three games against WFT is his highest versus any opponent. He has 424 yards and three touchdowns on 27 targets against Washington, including a 209-yard explosion with two scores in a 2014 game.

But it’s worth looking at how he fared in those NFC South battles against Carolina during Rivera’s nine seasons with the Panthers. The statistical comparison offers hopes for a slowdown.

In 10 games against the Rivera-coached Panthers, Evans had 43 receptions on 98 targets with 556 yards and three touchdowns. He never reached the century mark in receiving yards in any of them.

Carolina often deployed James Bradberry against Evans, and the 6-foot-1 cornerback’s size aided the Panthers’ efforts. Bradberry signed with the New York Giants last offseason and faced Evans in Week 8. The receiver finished with 55 yards and a touchdown on five receptions in Tampa’s 25-23 win.

Unlike Philadelphia, though, Tampa Bay won’t keep good players off the field, if possible. The Bucs played Sunday without inside linebacker Devin White, outside linebacker Shaq Barrett and defensive lineman Steve McLendon. All three were placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Friday.

White finished second on the team with nine sacks and fifth in the NFL with 140 tackles. Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul’s 9 1/2 sacks paced Tampa Bay, with Barrett’s eight ranking third. The Buccaneers had one sack and six QB hits versus the Falcons.

Arians told reporters on Monday he believed at least Barrett would be available Saturday.

• McLaurin’s final 2020 regular-season stat line: 87-1,118-4. He became the first player in franchise history 25 years old or younger with 80-plus receptions and 1,000 receiving yards. Credit his work against the NFC East for reaching such heights.

Three of his four touchdowns came against division foes, with one each against the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys. He caught exactly seven passes in each of his final five NFC East games. That’s production worthy of a self high-five.

(Photo: Tom Pennington / Getty Images)