Official “The Athletic” thread

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

LAS VEGAS — Dewayne Dedmon was a 3-point shooter in waiting.

He just needed someone to let him show what he could do.

But the message was clear to start Dedmon’s career: He would not be showing off that skill in stops with Golden State, Orlando, Philadelphia and San Antonio.

“Threes, shooting, that’s something I’ve always worked on,” Dedmon said. “In the NBA, you’ve got roles and you’ve got to stick to your roles.”

That left Dedmon as a big man with a shooting range that could be shown off only when he was working on his game solo, not for the benefit of the team.

But the NBA was evolving. Even though Dedmon shot only one 3 in his first four seasons, he was ready if someone chose to give him the OK.

“I’ve always worked on my shot,” Dedmon said. “So it’s always been something that I’ve been working on, waiting on the opportunity. So once I got it, I was ready.”

Dedmon’s chance came when he joined the Atlanta Hawks in 2017. Dedmon became a big man who could space the floor, and he put up 358 3s in two seasons, something that caught the attention of the Kings, who signed Dedmon to a three-year, $40 million deal in free agency.

Dedmon is a career 37 percent shooter from 3 (133 of 359). Before Dedmon arrived in Atlanta, his lone 3 came for Orlando during the 2014-15 season.

The Hawks gave Dedmon the chance to be the shooter he knew he could be. The Kings believe that skill will fit well with their team, which is looking to put up plenty of 3s by multiple players.

“Getting to Atlanta, I was allowed the opportunity to shoot it,” Dedmon said. “I had a meeting with (then-coach Mike) Budenholzer before the preseason started and he told me what he wanted me to do. He told me he wanted me to shoot 3s, go 12 games, see what happens and we’ll re-evaluate after 12 games. Well, they were going in, so there was really nothing to evaluate. Ever since then, it just took off from there.”

San Antonio was Dedmon’s stop for a season before he joined the Hawks. Budenholzer was once an assistant under Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

So did Dedmon ask Popovich for the same kind of shooting freedom?

“No, no, no, not at all,” Dedmon said. “Rebound, that’s what I was doing. Rebounds, putbacks.”

Those are also things the Kings need from Dedmon, along with help in shoring up what has been a bad defensive unit.

Still, it’s Dedmon’s shooting that makes him different from other centers the Kings could have pursued.

One thing the Kings want to do is to keep the floor spaced so their guards have room to attack off the dribble.

Big men who can shoot from distance are the keys to making that happen.

Of the Kings’ returning bigs, Nemanja Bjelica is the lone proven deep threat. Bjelica made 40.1 percent from 3 last season and is a career 38.1 percent shooter from beyond the arc.

Marvin Bagley III shot 31.3 percent from 3 as a rookie and has been encouraged to improve in that area.

Sacramento’s style of play appeals to Dedmon, who averaged 10.8 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.1 blocks last season.

The Hawks’ fast pace allowed Dedmon to show off the skills that made him a top priority for the Kings in free agency.

“It’s definitely something I’m looking forward to,” Dedmon said. “Fast pace, getting up and down the floor, catching some lobs, shoot some 3s. It’s going to be fun. I’m looking forward to it.’

Though grateful for the chance to play his game for the Kings, Dedmon acknowledges that his two seasons in Atlanta helped make the opportunity possible.

It wasn’t just Budenholzer but also Budenholzer’s replacement, Lloyd Pierce, who allowed Dedmon to show he was a perimeter threat.

“It was great, it was fun,” Dedmon said. “I even told LP last year it was great with him coming in to still allow me to do that and expand my game, pick-and-pop, pick-and-roll, mix it up. So it was fun, it was good.”

You could say Dedmon is free to be the shooter he always knew he could be.

(Photo: Craig Mitchelldyer / USA Today)

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

LAS VEGAS — Dennis Smith Jr. saw this summer as the right one to undergo a transformation on his jumper.

Those working with him this summer have said it’s drastic. Smith, too.

“It’s a big difference,” he said. “It’s a really big difference. I can feel it. Everybody can see it, from my pops and my friends. Adding that to my game and getting consistent, I think that’s going to open up the floor, not only for me but for everybody else and make my reads a lot easier. It’s major for me.”

Smith believes his work has gotten his shot to a consistent motion, and he will need the changes to stick. He’s hit just 31.6 percent of his 3s over his first two years in the NBA. Of the 150 players in the league last year to take at least 200 pull-up jumpers, Smith’s 35 percent shooting ranked 131st.

A reliable jump shot could help Smith unleash his potential. The No. 9 pick in the 2017 draft has nearly-peerless hops and is among the best point guards at getting to the rim. Even when opponents have given him room to shoot — he shot 179 of his 208 3s last year open or wide-open, as classified by NBA.com — he hasn’t taken advantage; he shot just 32.9 percent on those 3s.

Smith realizes that he’ll need to start producing more this upcoming season, his third in the league. Still only 21, he’s entering a pivotal year. The Knicks will have to make a decision on whether to pick up the fourth year on his contract before the 2019-20 season starts. They also just signed Elfrid Payton, a former lottery pick when general manager Scott Perry was in Orlando’s front office, who could take the starting job away from him.

If there ever was a time to prove himself, Smith knows it’s now. He has memories of falling in the 2017 draft as fuel.

“I think it is,” he said. “I honestly feel I was supposed to be (No. 1), like everybody else in the class. This is the perfect time to come out and prove why I feel that way.”

This summer will allow Smith a chance to reset. He was traded from Dallas to New York midseason, then missed several weeks over the second half due to injury. He’ll spend this offseason working on his conditioning, along with his jumper. More time with Brandon Payne, Steph Curry’s trainer, is in store. So is a summer with Ja-Rell Bailey, his longtime trainer.

The goal, Bailey said, is to get Smith to 192 pounds, which is his ideal playing weight, after Smith spent this past season around 198. Smith is changing his diet and Bailey intends to focus his summer workouts around conditioning, boxing and yoga, all with the intention of getting Smith ready for a heavy workload.

“Just being able to be quicker left to right on defense,” Bailey said. “Working on the jump shot a lot, free throws a lot. Playing 94-foot offense and defense. Getting up the floor 30 times without breaking.”

Bailey traveled to Las Vegas with Smith this week, but Smith has also spent time working with Chris Paul while he’s here. The two have known each other for years. Paul tried to get a teenaged Smith to play for his AAU team in North Carolina. Paul, the Rockets’ star point guard, says they’ve been working on their dribbling and handle, among other things.

“Dennis is special, special,” Paul told The Athletic. “I think being here with Fiz, getting an opportunity to play, getting up and down, I was happy for him when he got traded to the Knicks last year because he got that New York grind in him.”

He added: “We were just talking about how as you learn the game more and more, it slows down for you. I think with Dennis, everything is confidence. Having Fiz backing him, and his teammates and all that, if he gets the city of New York behind him — you should have seen all of North Carolina behind him. He’s got it.”

The Knicks announced the signing of most of their free-agent class earlier this week, but there’s been a hold-up with Reggie Bullock. The Knicks and Bullock had agreed on a two-year, $21 million the night free agency began but caught a medical issue during the guard’s physical earlier this week, according to league sources.

The exact injury is unknown, but it could cause him to miss time this upcoming season. The expectation is that a deal still gets done between Bullock and the Knicks as they continue to talk with his agent, David Bauman, but there are also timing issues to consider.

Marcus Morris is considering backing out of an oral agreement with the Spurs, according to ESPN, and signing with the Knicks instead. The Athletic’s Jabari Young reports that the Knicks have a one-year, $15 million offer out to Morris. To sign Morris and Bullock, the Knicks would need to use their available cap space on Morris and may use their room exception to add Bullock.

Noah Vonleh has nothing but fond regards for New York as he leaves the Knicks for Minnesota. The forward signed a one-year deal with the Timberwolves this month. Vonleh had a career year in New York, and while the team talked to his agent, he says, nothing came of it.

“My time in New York, it was great,” he told The Athletic. “It was a great opportunity. They gave me some playing time, let me be the 4-man, just grow as a player and change the narrative that was on me that was in the league and gave myself another a chance to give myself a new life in the league. So I got another opportunity here in Minnesota. A young group. Looking forward to the opportunity.”

Vonleh might have been the Knicks’ best player early in the season before a difficult second half. He proved to be a rugged defender and showed some capability as a stretch big. He ranked 22nd among power forwards in ESPN’s Real Plus Minus, better than two of the Knicks’ signings this summer — Taj Gibson ranked 33rd and Bobby Portis was 76th.

He’ll head off to play alongside Karl-Anthony Towns, ending his Knicks career as another free-agent signing who did not stay long in New York. Entering this offseason, the Knicks had signed 13 players as free agents (not including undrafted free agents post-draft) since Scott Perry and Steve Mills took over and just one, Kadeem Allen, remains.

Frank Ntilikina made an appearance in Vegas, too, popping in to catch a Summer League game after he played here the last two summers. Ntilikina remains with the club despite the team crowding the backcourt with another point guard signing. Ntilikina played just 43 games last season, missing most of the second half with a groin injury and stagnating in his second year in the NBA.

He says he’s healthy now and has been working out in Dallas, under the watchful eye of Knicks coaches who have shuffled in. Despite the notion that Ntilikina might need to rejuvenate his career elsewhere, he remains optimistic that it can work in New York.

“Yeah, definitely. I’m here. I’m happy to be a Knick,” he said. “I’ll still take as much as I can from every situation. I’m under the Knick jersey, I’m happy to be a Knick, I’m happy to be here, and I’ll work very hard to make this situation successful. I’ll do it.”

(Photo: Nathaniel S. Butler / NBAE via Getty Images)

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

Another one if you don't mind breh @Nerdy black guy
:feedme:

LAS VEGAS — As Vlade Divac watched Summer League games, he watched another part of his grand plan for the Kings unfold.

It had nothing to do with the result of the games, or even the play of draft picks Justin James and Kyle Guy.

“All our development coaches are here,” Divac said after practice on a Sunday afternoon on the UNLV campus. “Rico (Hines), Bobby (Jackson) and Stacey (Augmon). And also Ty (Ellis), the coach of the Stockton Kings, are great out here. I talked to Luke (Walton) about it, my idea was to integrate the coaching staffs, too.”

That is a big part of how Divac wants to make the most out of Summer League, even though no players who figure to be in the rotation opening night are playing.

When Divac returned to the franchise in a front office role in 2015, he wanted to create an environment to foster player development.

The Kings have had their fair share of draft picks who didn’t pan out, even under Divac, but the Kings were entirely not set up to develop players like they are now.

It’s not as if Jimmer Fredette, Thomas Robinson, Ben McLemore, Nik Stauskas or Georgios Papagiannis went on to find great NBA success after being first-round picks of Sacramento, but being drafted by the Kings didn’t give them the best chance of success.

It’s a reason why in Divac’s first two years on the job, it was hard for the Kings to secure pre-draft workouts with top talent. Many agents did not trust their clients playing in an unstable environment in Sacramento.

What Divac sees now is part of his plan to change that in the organization. There’s only one player on the Summer League roster who will be on the Kings’ roster full time (Justin James, who is out the rest of Summer League with a sprained right knee), but that doesn’t mean the basketball this month is not important.

Divac points to players such as Bogdan Bogdanovic and Harry Giles working out with the new coaching staff and attending practices to learn Walton’s terminology as all part of the program the Kings want to build.

“It’s a beauty to have those guys come and support and be around because every day matters,” said Kings Summer League coach Jesse Mermuys. “Because as you guys saw, the West continues to get more competitive. So any opportunity with the guys we can to be around, be a part of it, see what we’re doing, ask questions, get workouts in that are kind of tailored to what we’ve been doing. It’s like anything else, if you’re trying to learn something, you need time. And any face time you can get with those guys is super beneficial.”

With James out, a lot of important face time is being had between two-way players Wenyen Gabriel, Guy and the coaching staff.

Guy was the second of the Kings’ three second-round draft picks. He’s shown a willingness to shoot the 3, which will be part of Stockton’s plan as the system with the G League team will mirror what Walton’s team runs.

“We felt very confident with him and secure to be in our system,” said Divac of signing Guy to a two-way contract. “But keep the flexibility with the roster spot and we had another two-way contract (available). So that was the thought process. We can keep the guy we really like in our system and keep flexibility with our roster spots.”

Gabriel was signed to a two-way contract last summer and has shown significant improvement after a season in the G League. He’s averaging 12 points and 6.3 rebounds in three games in Las Vegas.

Gabriel has had good moments this summer, heading into the second year of his contract. A year from now, Gabriel could be competing for a spot with the Kings.

If the Kings are to continue distancing themselves from the dysfunction that defined them, these are the kinds of things they must continue to do — make the franchise a place where players can maximize their talents.

“When we talk about Wenyen, we can see a big difference from last year,” Divac said. “He made a big, big step forward. We’re so happy about it and that’s how we’re going to approach it going forward. We’re going to give guys opportunity. The whole setup with the Stockton Kings is perfect, what we imagined we’d have. I’m glad we have it.”

Gabriel said the blend between having Ellis around and Sacramento’s staff is beneficial. He can see how the setup will help him and the franchise as a whole.

“They’re meshing really well,” Gabriel said. “They’re all really professional. They’re meshing well and they’re trying to teach and I’m just trying to learn so I think we’re hand in hand.”

(Photo of Jesse Mermuys: Bart Young / Getty Images)

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

The Achilles injury itself sidelined DeMarcus Cousins for nearly a year. But what of everything that came next? Even 12 months of rehab couldn’t fully prepare the Lakers’ newest and most fascinating rehabilitation project for a return to competition. So much weight and force had to be channeled through that single repaired tendon. So much trust was needed. For 30 regular-season games with the Golden State Warriors, the team he chose a year ago to heal his body and image, Cousins showed flashes of his old All-NBA ability while he tried to fit in with four other All-Stars.

He seemed to be settling in by the time the Warriors, prohibitive favorites to win a third straight NBA title, rolled into the playoffs. Before Game 2 of their opening-round series against the Clippers, Cousins felt his best yet despite posting just nine points and nine rebounds two nights earlier.

But basketball, as it showed this spring, can be cruel.

“Actually the game that I tore my quad, I spoke on it that day and I was saying how amazing I felt,” Cousins said during a Wednesday conference call with reporters. “I really started feeling like myself again. Some unfortunate things ended up happening that night. I was really feeling good at the time. That’s kind of a good thing. I know it’s possible to get back to that place.”

If he returns to that same level with the Lakers, Cousins could potentially be the difference between a flameout and a Finals run. The Lakers missed out on a Big Three when Kawhi Leonard spurned them for the Clippers, but pre-injury, Cousins was set up to receive a max contract in 2018. At $3.5 million from the Lakers, Cousins once again took a bargain deal to prove a point about himself.

It’s not hard to understand the Lakers’ interest: At full strength, Cousins is worth the headaches and distractions he creates. Diminished, however, he may not be.

“I feel like I’ve been trying to show and prove myself my entire career,” said Cousins, who turns 29 next month. “I feel like I’m still at that point. I feel I do better under pressure, when the odds are against me. I feel like the best of me comes out.”

Cousins showed flashes of his old self last season. (Kyle Terada / USA TODAY Sports)
Who knows whether Cousins would have had more options in free agency had he not torn that left quadriceps on April 15. He had averaged 16.3 points and 8.2 rebounds in his two-month stint alongside Stephen Curry and the rest of the Warriors super team. His stats were a far cry from the 25.2 points, 12.9 rebounds and 5.4 assists he had averaged for the New Orleans Pelicans in 2017-18 when his Achilles snapped that January. Not only was Cousins returning from the most gruesome injury a basketball player can experience, one that has stolen careers, but on a team with three of the top scorers in the NBA, he had to be something different than he had been before.

And by the time the free-agency window opened on June 30, teams had watched Cousins labor through six games in the NBA Finals. Steve Kerr removed him from the Warriors rotation when Kevin Durant returned from a calf injury in Game 5. Teams not only shied away from Cousins in free agency, they seemed to ignore him. Four days into the negotiating period, he fired his longtime agent Jarinn Akana and enlisted Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports.

Cousins watched as money dried up and other players scooped up large contracts.

“I kind of knew what I was facing, just with being injured and playing through injury in the Finals,” Cousins said. “I kind of knew what I was facing. I just had to kind of wait it out and wait until my opportunity came about and it did. All I can do is take advantage of it.”

Meanwhile, the Lakers had refused to spend a cent of their $32 million in cap space until they knew about Leonard. The talent gulf between Leonard and the rest of the players left on the market by July 6 was vast, with Cousins floating in some unknown strata. But with two players who were on the court with him when he tore his Achilles in 2018 already on board, Cousins started to get the hard sell from Anthony Davis and Rajon Rondo.

“They really put the pressure on me to make a decision to come here and team up again,” Cousins said. “Me and (Davis) have talked about it numerous times, about being teammates again. We never wanted it to end, but everything happens for a reason. The opportunity presented itself, and I chose to make it happen.”

In New Orleans, Cousins and Davis presented the league’s most imposing and frustrating frontline: two players with center size, guard handles and perimeter touch. With the Lakers, there is no assurance that the pair will even get the same opportunity it did in New Orleans. JaVale McGee is the incumbent starter at center and returned to the Lakers on a reported two-year, $8.2 million deal.

For a team that missed on its top options in free agency, the reunion of Cousins with Davis at least gives the Lakers something to dream about. It’s a high-reward risk, no doubt, but it’s also one with some historical context.

“I think we’re a pretty tough big-man duo,” Cousins said. “I mean that’s part of the reason we wanted to become teammates again. We realized how much better we made one another and how much we made the game easier for one another. I think we both appreciate each other’s presence. To add LeBron James to the mix, his resume speaks for itself. One of the greatest players ever to play this game added to that.”

Top photo of DeMarcus Cousins: Carlos Osorio / NBAE via Getty Images

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Steve Brooks has been the coach at Ypsilanti (Mich). High School for 16 years. Rarely has he ever worried much about crosstown rival Lincoln, a school his team dominated for more than a decade. Brooks’ teams are known for their defense, often holding opponents to under 50 points per game.

But Brooks had never coached against a player quite like Emoni Bates. In January, during the first meeting between the two schools, Bates scored 43 points in leading Lincoln to a road win over Ypsilanti.

Bates was still a couple of weeks shy of his 15th birthday.

“He already ranks in the top 10 players in all of Michigan,” Brooks says. “But we’re just talking about his freshman year, compared to other guys’ whole careers. So he could be by far the No. 1 player ever to come out of this state.”

And maybe even more than that. In the first edition of The Athletic 40, a ranking of all U.S. high school players regardless of class, Bates was awarded the top spot.

But are we being reckless? This is still a kid, one who enjoys watching movies with his family and going to waterparks with his friends. He can’t apply for a driver’s license for nearly six more months.

Is Bates really better than more physically developed and proven high school seniors-to-be such as Cade Cunningham, who just starred in the FIBA U19 World Cup against international competition? Even if Bates is the best, should we put that much pressure on the shoulders of a 15-year-old?

“It’s kind of unfair, just because he’s so young,” says Jesse Davis, Bates’ high school coach. “It’s like he has no ceiling now. If he’s already No. 1, where does he go from here? So, yeah, it’s unfair. But on the other hand, I get it. He’s really deserving of that ranking.”

This is the wrestling match involved with ranking guys barely out of middle school. Bates still has a long way to go and grow, but his talent is just too damn tantalizing to ignore. He averaged 28.5 points and 10 rebounds during his freshman season, leading Lincoln to its first Division 1 state title. He also poured in 43 points and grabbed 11 rebounds during a Nike EYBL game against a team featuring LeBron James’ son, Bronny, back in May before a huge crowd.

Bates, who measured at 6-8½ without shoes at the NBPA Top 100 camp in St. Louis last month, owns a smooth jumper and scores with ease on the perimeter. The still skinny 180-pounder has drawn comparisons to a young Kevin Durant, a player he modeled his game after early on.

Recruiting analyst Andrew Slater calls Bates “the next great American hope.”

“He has a potent mix of size, skill, relatively fluid athleticism and aggression that puts constant pressure on his defenders,” Slater says. “He’ll need to add strength, tighten his perimeter skill set and develop a better feel, particularly as a passer. But there isn’t a better American-born prospect coming down the pipeline in the coming years.”

Not every analyst agrees. Another scout, who asked for anonymity because he didn’t want to criticize such a young player, calls our No. 1 ranking “nonsense.”

“He’s a very gifted scorer, but he shoots it every time he touches it,” says the scout, who has watched Bates play several times. “He doesn’t do a lot of other things. Anybody who says he’s better than Cade Cunningham or Evan Mobley at this stage is simply buying into the hype.”

There’s validity to that argument. If Bates had to battle with Mobley, who is 7-foot and 205 pounds, his youth and slight frame most likely would get exposed. Basketball is also littered with prodigies who were hailed as the next savior too soon, only to flame out. Remember Lenny Cooke, who was ranked the No. 1 high school player in 2001 — ahead of James and players such as Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire. Cooke went undrafted and never played in the NBA.

Still, it’s difficult to find another player with Bates’ potential. That’s why he is widely expected to be the first high schooler drafted in 2022, assuming the NBA rescinds the one-and-done rule in time for that year, as many believe will happen.

Bates’ family members have made no secret of their plans to enter the draft out of high school if allowed. Moreover, they don’t fear the burden of hype on Emoni.

“It’s legitimate,” says E.J. Bates, Emoni’s father, when informed of the No. 1 overall ranking. “We don’t get caught up in rankings because we just continue to work and get better. But that’s a fair assessment.”

E.J., who is also Emoni’s grassroots coach, cites his son’s humility and work ethic as reasons why he’s not concerned about all this being too much, too soon. E.J. first noticed the budding talent when Emoni was in third grade and made 22 consecutive 3-pointers while shooting around. Davis backs up this story.

A couple of years later, Brooks spotted Emoni in the Ypsilanti gym. Emoni had recently broken his right wrist, on his shooting hand, but he was still working on his game.

“I knew then that he was going to be special,” Brooks says. “I just didn’t know he was going to grow to be 6-9.”

In that first meeting against Ypsilanti, Bates went 6-of-11 on 3s. Most of them came from well beyond the arc. When Bates missed one at a crucial point in the game, he grabbed the rebound and dunked it, Brooks recalls.

Bates hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to send Lincoln to the Division 1 regional final. In that final, Detroit Catholic Central denied him the ball in the closing seconds of a tie game. A teammate had to take what looked to be the last shot of regulation. He missed.

“But then Emoni ran in from like the 3-point line — he really came out of nowhere — and tipped it in at the buzzer,” Davis says. “You can’t really teach that or draw that up.”

Emoni goes through individual workouts with his father after practices and before games, focusing on his footwork, ballhandling and other skills. E.J. says he can’t remember a time when Emoni wasn’t dribbling a basketball in the house.

Still, his father is trying not to overwork him. Bates did not participate with the USA Basketball U16 national team this spring and is playing only a handful of events this summer. He’s competing in this week’s Peach Jam and will finish his offseason at the Las Vegas Classic later this month. That latter tournament won’t be as intense as usual, as E.J. will insist that his players get some time in the pool and have fun between games.

“As a parent, the most important thing is your child’s well being,” E.J. says. “I’m not going to have him put unnecessary miles on his body. For what?”

Emoni certainly doesn’t need to attract more attention. College programs are barely recruiting him because no one believes he’ll spend a day on campus. A reserved, matter-of-fact kid, Emoni nevertheless admits that the lack of recruiting love bothers him a little.

“No disrespect to anyone, but a lot of people in my class are getting lots of Division I offers,” he says. “I understand how they might be looking at me. But I feel like I’ve done enough that I should have a bunch of offers too.”

Then again, he’s already a celebrity in and around his hometown. His high school games attract sold-out crowds. He gets asked for autographs and selfies just about everywhere he goes. “I’ve got to tint my windows now,” E.J. says. “I can’t just pull up anywhere with him in the car.”

Ultimately, that’s why we can’t feel guilty ranking a 15-year-old as the best high school player in America. Emoni Bates is already a superstar on social media, on YouTube, on BallerTV. No ranking is going to slow down or speed up the hype machine that’s already in place.

“You worry about it because he is still a kid,” Brooks says. “And you don’t want to put all this on him. But …”

Brooks doesn’t finish the sentence, but the point is clear. We are always looking for the next big thing, and Emoni Bates is simply too good for us to wait on him growing up. Luckily, he seems at peace with all that comes with his talent.

“I don’t let it get to my head,” he says. “I just stay in the gym all the time and hang out with my friends. I’m having fun, just being a kid and being able to do what I love.”

Let’s hope that continues for as long as possible.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

LAS VEGAS — It’s not often that a 6-foot-9 human appears more like a boy than a man, but Alen Smailagić actually looks his age. That’s especially so in person, as he ambles up to a table at the Aria Burger Lounge. Even if the Serbian rookie is, as of today, making $6.13 million dollars over the next four years, he’s still a teen in more than technicality.

Not yet 19, without a spec of discernable peach buzz, “Smiley” walks with the gangly slouch of an adolescent whose limbs won’t stop growing. He’s full of smiles followed by sheepish shrugs.

“I’m not legal here, but in Serbia I can probably do everything,” Smailagić says of a Vegas experience where he’s on the outside looking in. “But I’m not into all this stuff. I don’t like losing money.”

Based on what’s said of Smailagić, it’s surprising to hear that he wouldn’t expect to win money out here. The kid is already famously confident. Santa Cruz Warriors officials chuckle about the time G League star Willie Reed blocked a Smiley dunk attempt. The kid was scolded, told not to try his luck against a veteran like that. Smiley immediately went right back at Reed, finishing through him for a bucket.

“I remember that,” Smailagić says of the time he went at Reed. “I just don’t like when someone says no to me. I don’t like that. When someone says no, I really want to do that.”

He displayed a similar defiant brashness right before uncorking a game-sealing dunk in a different game. Prior to the play, he pointed at the G League Clippers’ Johnathan Motley, telling teammates that he was the better player and should get the rock. “Give me the ball, they can’t guard me,” Smiley recalls of the play. Off ball, he cut into the lane, received the pass on the move and finished with a thundering two-hander.

Every day, Smiley gets a bit more comfortable, a bit more self-assured. He arrived in this country last season speaking no English, to hear him tell it at least. By the way, “to hear him tell it,” is to hear someone who sounds like they’ve spent a good deal of time in this country. These days, Smailagić easily carries conversations in America’s most popular language.

Other teams are suspicious, believing the language barrier claim to have been all part of the Warriors’ scheme for hiding the athletic youngster in plain sight on their G League affiliate. Whatever the real details of his journey, it’s notable that he’s now being speculated about by league insiders. Here in Las Vegas, coming off a season as the youngest player in G League history, Smailagić is generating more buzz than one typically associates with a 39th overall pick. Smailagić is insistent that, upon arrival, he only knew how to speak his native Serbian.

“This is like seven, eight months, living in America,” he says of his current linguistic facility.

He’s still learning new terms. “Virgin” was a word introduced to him by DeMarcus Cousins a few months ago. The lumbering veteran big man went down to Santa Cruz on a rehab assignment last season and relentlessly teased the eager kid in trash-talk sessions. Smailagić recounts Cousins repeatedly yelling, “Don’t play with us, you’re probably a virgin!” Smailagić would shoot back, “I’ll show you,” perhaps not completely understanding the context of the insult.

“It was great,” Smailagić said of his time trying to prove himself to Cousins.

What will proving himself overall mean for Smiley? It is not clear what he is or what he will become. This summer, he’s already delivered some highlight dunks and blocks. The out-of-zone rebounding has been impressive. His mobility is unusual for a man of his size. Nearly everything else appears raw.

“Improve my strength and not hurrying the game,” Smiley says of what must happen going forward. Though he shot 24.4 percent behind the arc last season, he believes he’ll become a stretch 4. “Yeah, definitely,” he says of learning to shoot the 3. “I’m going to practice a lot. That’s the only way to do it!”

Until he develops that skill, Smailagić currently runs counter to European player stereotypes. He’s not a finesse shooter or an especially adept passer. Instead, he’s a rim-attacking athlete with defensive potential.

“I really don’t like to play defense,” Smiley says of his scouting report, shrugging. “But in G League, if you want to go the NBA, you have to play it.”

In the meantime, as he grows into new skills, Smailagić will rely on certain staples, routines that have grown preciously familiar in a strange land. Right now, that’s Chili’s, the Tex-Mex restaurant chain. “I like strawberry lemonade, queso and soup,” he says of his favorite restaurant. “That is all.”

It’s not an easy road for Smailagić to make good on his potential, but the Warriors have invested in the kid. By iron will or iron stomach, he seeks to make good on their faith. At least he believes in himself. The team’s youngest player might lack for polish, but never for confidence.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
LAS VEGAS — It’s not often that a 6-foot-9 human appears more like a boy than a man, but Alen Smailagić actually looks his age. That’s especially so in person, as he ambles up to a table at the Aria Burger Lounge. Even if the Serbian rookie is, as of today, making $6.13 million dollars over the next four years, he’s still a teen in more than technicality.

Not yet 19, without a spec of discernable peach buzz, “Smiley” walks with the gangly slouch of an adolescent whose limbs won’t stop growing. He’s full of smiles followed by sheepish shrugs.

“I’m not legal here, but in Serbia I can probably do everything,” Smailagić says of a Vegas experience where he’s on the outside looking in. “But I’m not into all this stuff. I don’t like losing money.”

Based on what’s said of Smailagić, it’s surprising to hear that he wouldn’t expect to win money out here. The kid is already famously confident. Santa Cruz Warriors officials chuckle about the time G League star Willie Reed blocked a Smiley dunk attempt. The kid was scolded, told not to try his luck against a veteran like that. Smiley immediately went right back at Reed, finishing through him for a bucket.

“I remember that,” Smailagić says of the time he went at Reed. “I just don’t like when someone says no to me. I don’t like that. When someone says no, I really want to do that.”

He displayed a similar defiant brashness right before uncorking a game-sealing dunk in a different game. Prior to the play, he pointed at the G League Clippers’ Johnathan Motley, telling teammates that he was the better player and should get the rock. “Give me the ball, they can’t guard me,” Smiley recalls of the play. Off ball, he cut into the lane, received the pass on the move and finished with a thundering two-hander.

Every day, Smiley gets a bit more comfortable, a bit more self-assured. He arrived in this country last season speaking no English, to hear him tell it at least. By the way, “to hear him tell it,” is to hear someone who sounds like they’ve spent a good deal of time in this country. These days, Smailagić easily carries conversations in America’s most popular language.

Other teams are suspicious, believing the language barrier claim to have been all part of the Warriors’ scheme for hiding the athletic youngster in plain sight on their G League affiliate. Whatever the real details of his journey, it’s notable that he’s now being speculated about by league insiders. Here in Las Vegas, coming off a season as the youngest player in G League history, Smailagić is generating more buzz than one typically associates with a 39th overall pick. Smailagić is insistent that, upon arrival, he only knew how to speak his native Serbian.

“This is like seven, eight months, living in America,” he says of his current linguistic facility.

He’s still learning new terms. “Virgin” was a word introduced to him by DeMarcus Cousins a few months ago. The lumbering veteran big man went down to Santa Cruz on a rehab assignment last season and relentlessly teased the eager kid in trash-talk sessions. Smailagić recounts Cousins repeatedly yelling, “Don’t play with us, you’re probably a virgin!” Smailagić would shoot back, “I’ll show you,” perhaps not completely understanding the context of the insult.

“It was great,” Smailagić said of his time trying to prove himself to Cousins.

What will proving himself overall mean for Smiley? It is not clear what he is or what he will become. This summer, he’s already delivered some highlight dunks and blocks. The out-of-zone rebounding has been impressive. His mobility is unusual for a man of his size. Nearly everything else appears raw.

“Improve my strength and not hurrying the game,” Smiley says of what must happen going forward. Though he shot 24.4 percent behind the arc last season, he believes he’ll become a stretch 4. “Yeah, definitely,” he says of learning to shoot the 3. “I’m going to practice a lot. That’s the only way to do it!”

Until he develops that skill, Smailagić currently runs counter to European player stereotypes. He’s not a finesse shooter or an especially adept passer. Instead, he’s a rim-attacking athlete with defensive potential.

“I really don’t like to play defense,” Smiley says of his scouting report, shrugging. “But in G League, if you want to go the NBA, you have to play it.”

In the meantime, as he grows into new skills, Smailagić will rely on certain staples, routines that have grown preciously familiar in a strange land. Right now, that’s Chili’s, the Tex-Mex restaurant chain. “I like strawberry lemonade, queso and soup,” he says of his favorite restaurant. “That is all.”

It’s not an easy road for Smailagić to make good on his potential, but the Warriors have invested in the kid. By iron will or iron stomach, he seeks to make good on their faith. At least he believes in himself. The team’s youngest player might lack for polish, but never for confidence.
@CSquare43 Smiley admitted to not liking to play defense breh :mjcry: