Official “The Athletic” thread

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
My bad man. I thought the guy you quoted shared the whole article so I ignored it. Here

The Timberwolves may have missed out on an offensive dynamo, but their pursuit of upgrading their defense is going just fine.

The Wolves agreed to terms with free-agent power forward Noah Vonleh on Tuesday, league sources told The Athletic. It’s a one-year deal worth $2 million, just above the league minimum for a player of his experience.

Vonleh joins former Warrior Jordan Bell, signed on Monday after Golden State swooped in and grabbed D’Angelo Russell right out from under the Wolves, as defense-first frontcourt players to put next to Karl-Anthony Towns. Both represent the kind of value signings by president Gersson Rosas that are desperately needed on a team in such a precarious salary-cap situation.

All of the excitement surrounding the possible addition of Russell overshadowed what was one of the team’s biggest priorities heading into the summer — upgrading a defense that has been woeful for years.

Putting the ball in the basket has never been an issue for the Wolves, what with Towns, Andrew Wiggins, Derrick Rose, Jeff Teague and so many accomplished bucket-getters driving an offense that routinely landed in the top 10 of the league.

But that defense? A disaster, but for that brief glimmer when Robert Covington first arrived and was flying all over the court. Whether it was Flip Saunders, Sam Mitchell, Tom Thibodeau or Ryan Saunders, the Wolves were terrible there, and it was the single biggest area in need of improvement.

On draft night, they went up and grabbed Jarrett Culver, a defensive-minded wing from Texas Tech. They already have Josh Okogie, who in one season showed more desire and defensive chops than anyone on this roster. Covington hopes to be back healthy, which should be a major help as well.

But they have lost Taj Gibson and Anthony Tolliver this offseason, two proud veterans who prided themselves on playing good defense and had a gaping hole in the frontcourt next to Towns after trading Dario Saric to Phoenix in the draft-night deal to land Culver.

As tantalizing as the prospects can be of seeing Covington at the 4 in small-ball lineups, there are still going to be times when the Wolves need bulk, size and muscle.

After the initial wave of signings in free agency, there can be a lull. Rosas waited for the crazy money to be spent, then went shopping for value and found it.

Vonleh averaged 8.4 points and 7.8 rebounds for the Knicks last season, already his fifth in the league. He has bounced around because he has never realized the potential he showed in college at Indiana that made him the ninth overall pick in the 2014 draft.

But he will turn just 24 in August and has been working to find more consistency with his 3-pointer. He had his best season as a pro with the Knicks and believes he’s ready for a breakout, so much so that sources say he had a chance to sign a two-year deal with the Wolves that included a team option for more money, but turned it down for a one-year deal. It’s all aimed at getting another chance, and a bigger payday, in the free-agent market next summer.

Jordan Bell averaged 3.3 points and 2.7 rebounds in 12 minutes per game playing behind Draymond Green and Kevon Looney with Golden State. (Kyle Terada / USA Today)
Vonleh’s $2-million salary is just slightly above the league minimum for him, meaning that the Wolves will have to use a portion of either their $9.2 million mid-level exception or their $3.6 million bi-annual exception to bring him aboard.

Vonleh had several suitors on the open market but chose the Wolves in part because of the potential in Minnesota for significant playing time. Ryan Saunders has talked about using Covington at the power forward next to Towns more often this season, but after trading Saric, there was not a natural 4 on the roster.

Towns and Gorgui Dieng are the only two bigs who are established. That’s why Bell came to Minnesota as well. He played sparingly for the Warriors his first two years in the league, but his rugged defensive game could be an asset here now that he isn’t playing behind Draymond Green and Kevon Looney.

Wolves fans may not be sprinting to NBA.com to order their Vonleh or Bell jerseys like they would have with Russell. But the value plays do address glaring needs while retaining flexibility going forward. They give new defensive coordinator David Vanterpool some more versatility to work with as well. Vanterpool coached Vonleh for 2 1/2 seasons in Portland, so there is some familiarity there that should help.

Now the Wolves could turn their attention to Tyus Jones. The point guard is a restricted free agent, which can be a hard place to be for players in the early days of free agency. Most teams shy away from them early because offer sheets tie up their cap space during the spending spree.

After initial concerns internally that Jones might get an offer early and force Minnesota’s hand, that hasn’t materialized. And the market is drying up quickly.

The Wolves did add Shabazz Napier when they got involved with the sign-and-trade that sent Kevin Durant to Brooklyn and Russell to Golden State, but point guard remains a position that needs to be addressed.

(Top photo of Noah Vonleh: Steve Dykes / USA Today)

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

LAS VEGAS — The Warriors’ pre-draft intel suggested the Spurs were interested in taking Jordan Poole with the 29th pick. Poole can confirm such whispers. He’d worked out in San Antonio in the weeks leading up to the draft and had been given hints of their strong attraction.

“I was really preparing for 29,” Poole said.

The Clippers, at pick 27, were on the clock. Poole figured his moment was only about 10 minutes away. It actually arrived sooner. His phone buzzed. The Warriors were on the other line. They were taking him at pick 28.

“Beyond excited,” Poole said recently. “It’s as good as it gets, man.”

To most, in the moment, it was deemed a reach. Some mock drafts had Poole going in the middle of the second round. Others had him going undrafted. The Warriors, outsiders assumed, could’ve just scooped him up later.

But those within the organization believe they stole Poole a pick before the Spurs, renowned for their scouting acumen, would’ve selected a shooter they loved.

It’s too early to know whether the Warriors are right on Poole. He’s only six games into his first Summer League, flashing a tantalizing scoring upside and an inefficient downside.

Poole scored 23 points the other night. He’s averaged 19.7 points in Las Vegas. He’s got smooth form and deep range on his jumper, plus a willing trigger. He moves off the ball and curls off of screens like a polished gunner and should benefit from being around Klay Thompson, an expert in this craft.

But high-volume scorers typically begin their careers as low-percentage chuckers. Poole is only 20, advancing out of his teenage years just last month. He missed his first 10 Summer League 3s. He’s only 9 of 41 total from deep and 28 of 81 overall, spread across seven games.

But the Warriors are welcoming the growing pains. This is the early stage of an extreme youth movement. Poole has perhaps the greatest upside of their under-25 pieces. They must absorb the 2-of-13 nights that lie ahead in hopes of more consistent 26-point nights down the line.

While in Vegas, Poole sat down with The Athletic for an extended interview, touching on his background, personality and fit with the Warriors. Here’s an introduction to the intriguing rookie.

You were born in 1999. What is your earliest NBA experience?

Remember watching (Dwyane) Wade when I was younger. Watched a lot of him. LeBron (James) on the Cavaliers, first finals, against San Antonio.

But growing up, I really wasn’t too into TV. I watched the finals and stuff. Then I really got into it in, like, 2010. After Kobe (Bryant) won his and then the Heat era into what it is now.

Do you even remember the non-Stephen Curry Warriors?

Yeah. Monta Ellis. Baron Davis. Um, Jason Richardson.

Who’s the earliest Warriors player you remember?

Didn’t Latrell Sprewell play there?

Yep.

He’s from Milwaukee, (Poole’s hometown). That’s how I know him. But earliest I can remember where it’s actually in focus was Monta Ellis. I thought he was elite. Used him on 2K.

You probably remember the Andrew Bogut trade (in 2012) because you were in Milwaukee at the time.

Yeah, I remember it a little bit. I remember it more for Monta Ellis coming to the Bucks than Bogut going to the Warriors.

I’m sure you were hyped on that side. One of your favorite players coming to your city.

Yeah, for sure. But it was different. Because Bogut was also elite.

How into the Bucks were you?

Huge Michael Redd fan. Huge. But they weren’t good. It was, like, Mo Williams, Luke Ridnour.

How far from the arena did you live?

Fifteen minutes. Just downtown. Not too far.

You go to many games?

I went to a couple. School nights and stuff. But I went to a nice amount of games.

How much have you followed the league the last half-decade or so?

Not too much, bro. I’m usually surrounded by basketball 24/7, so I won’t watch it. I’ll get away from it. I’ll watch the playoffs and finals, not really highlights. Plus, during the season, we had college basketball going on, so we were always just focusing on college teams.

The Warriors obviously entered your conscious though because they’ve become world famous. A polarizing team. Most people either root hard for them or against them. Which side were you?

I was a guy who was pretty neutral. I never didn’t want them to win. I didn’t understand that. You had a dynasty going on and it’s cool to see them successful for however long. You had people hoping they lost, but I was just a fan of the game. Watching those finals against the Cavaliers.

You’re a shooter, too. And they kind of revolutionized the 3-point shot.

Obviously Steph is kind of a guy who changed the game. He was a big phenomenon. But I liked watching Klay, the way he plays. How he’d come off down screens, off ball screens, how he operates around Steph.

You worked out with the Warriors twice?

Yep. First workout and my last workout.

Did you get a sense you were very much on their radar?

Going into my first workout, I knew that they really, really liked me. They were asking one of my coaches a lot of questions about me. Then when they brought me back for a second workout, that’s when I really knew they were extremely interested.

It was just a matter if I could show them whether I could guard in that second workout.

What’d they make you do?

We did regular three-on-three and stuff, but they just made an emphasis on guarding. They let me know, right before the workout, ‘We know you can score, we know you’re offensively gifted. Let’s see if you can compete defensively.’

You weren’t mocked at 28.

I don’t even think I was on the board, bro.

Some had you mid-40s, some off the board.

Yeah.

Are you paying attention to that?

Not at all.

Did you think 28 was even a possibility?

I came into the entire draft process thinking first round. I didn’t think otherwise. First round. First round. First round. That’s all I was thinking in workouts.

You got people who make the mock drafts, what intel do they really know? They’re not in these workouts. You can only accumulate the knowledge that you have from other social media outlets. So I’m like, OK, if you don’t have me on the board, you don’t. But you’re not in the workouts. I was able to prove myself in workouts.

Tell me about your experience from maybe picks 25-30. Are you sensing it’s coming or is it out of nowhere?

I knew it got really serious from pick 27 to 30. There was a possibility from 16 to 19, but I wasn’t really focused on it — 26 to 30 was where we definitely thought about a couple spots.

I was really preparing for 29.

Spurs, right? I heard they were really interested.

Yeah. I was preparing for 29 and at 27 I got a call that said I was going 28. Golden State. I was beyond excited.

What did you think of the fit?

It’s as good as it gets man. The Warriors. Can’t get better.

This is obviously a different version of the Warriors, though. They’re moving buildings, Kevin Durant’s gone, Klay Thompson’s rehabbing, most don’t think they’re title contenders next season. But I assume it’s still a destination?

Yeah. Oh, my. Yeah. Just the success that they’ve had with shooters, guys that get their owns shots. A shooter’s dream. They play the right way, bro.

Of course you’re going to have guys with 40-point nights, 50, 60, but they also play the right way. You can tell they want to go out there and win. I’ve played that type of basketball my entire life.

You grew up in Milwaukee. Same hometown as Kevon Looney. When you think about Milwaukee, what pops into your mind?

Um … it’s rough. The inner city’s pretty rough. The Bucks have kind of done so much for the city that there’s starting to be a little more positive outlook, but it wasn’t easy growing up, went to a public high school. You got to stay out the way.

Segregated city, right?

The most segregated city in the country. A lot of people don’t want to get out. You got to push, push, push to get out.

Rough winters.

Yeah, those are crazy. I thought that was just common growing up. The winters … nothing nice about it. Eight long months.

You went to a prep school in Indiana your senior year. Why?

My high school coach had left. He went to coach at his dad’s alma mater. So I opened up my options. We never thought about prep school, but (my parents and I) decided prep school would best prepare me for college.

That was a good team there, too. Jaren Jackson Jr. was on it.

Brian Bowen. Tyger Campbell.

You were the sixth man, right?

Yeah.

That’s potentially the type of role, bench scorer, you’re stepping into with the Warriors. Does that previous experience help?

I haven’t really thought about it. I just know I can provide a spark whenever I’m in the game, whether I start or come off the bench. I was a sixth man as a (college) freshman and a senior in high school.

Why’d you choose Michigan?

Coming into high school, we thought it was a good fit. They did a really good job of developing their guards and getting them to the NBA. Good track record. Can’t go wrong with that.

You know Glenn Robinson III much? Your future teammate here.

Glenn Robinson is one of the reasons I put my name into the draft. I talked to him throughout the entire process. He was a big help.

Most famous shot of your career is the buzzer beater in the NCAA Tournament your freshman season. But you really kind of took off as a player your sophomore season. What changed that second year?

I think I was just given more opportunity. We had a really good team my freshman year. I didn’t have to really do anything except shoot the ball. Wasn’t in a lot of playmaking situations.

But coming in knowing I was behind a senior, he was leaving and I knew I was going to take his spot. We lost a lot of talent. So I had to find a way to develop my game, learn how to play the one and the two, score on the ball and off the ball. I always had it, but it was about making myself more efficient and getting the opportunity.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Part two
Were you advised not to come out?

I knew I was coming out. I knew I was ready. I thought it was the best time for me. It worked out.

Like we talked about earlier, the thought was you weren’t going first round.

I just think it’s rare that young guys come out of Michigan. Freshman and sophomores, really, other than the championship team and Trey Burke. But even Tim Hardaway stayed three years. Nik Stauskas. A lot of guys stay three years. I think people figured I’d stay for another year under (John) Beilein’s system. But I knew I was ready.

You mentioned that you don’t watch basketball much. What do you do in your spare time?

I’m a huge movie guy. Love movies. I go to the movies by myself. Watch them in my room. Cartoons, occasionally. I’m a big napper. I nap a lot. I’m just chill, in my room, minding my business.

Top five movies?

“Interstellar, “Lucy,” “Inception.” Any “Iron Man” movie. The fifth spot is up for grabs. Depends on what I’m feeling.

That’s a sci-fi answer but also a very 2019, Generation Z-type answer. You’re about to step into a league with 30-year-olds, grown men. Do you feel the generation gap?

Here, Summer League, no. But I met Andre Iguodala and it definitely was a different age gap. But I don’t think it’ll be too bad, just a setting that, you know, you’re little bro now. But not too different from college, you have a senior who is 23 and you’re a freshman at 18.

Where’d you meet Andre? Must’ve been one of his final days with the franchise.

We were just in practice for Summer League. He came in to talk to some people. Met him in the training room area.

You’re a big animal guy, too, right?

Love animals. I go to the Humane Society sometimes. The one that was back at school, Huron Valley, but also a Wisconsin one back home. Just to pet the cats. Dogs.

When I was really young, I went through this program where I’d go up there and walk the dogs in the shelter. They just wanted to get out. I love animals. I just happen to have cats.

Cat guy. That’s rare in the league.

It is. One hundred percent. I feel like I’m pretty unique. I’m very chill, laid back. I feel like coming into this city is a fit. I’ve got a Cali vibe. I feel like my entire life I was meant to be from California. Beyond pumped about the Bay. No snow. Whaaaat?

(Photo: Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Part two
Were you advised not to come out?

I knew I was coming out. I knew I was ready. I thought it was the best time for me. It worked out.

Like we talked about earlier, the thought was you weren’t going first round.

I just think it’s rare that young guys come out of Michigan. Freshman and sophomores, really, other than the championship team and Trey Burke. But even Tim Hardaway stayed three years. Nik Stauskas. A lot of guys stay three years. I think people figured I’d stay for another year under (John) Beilein’s system. But I knew I was ready.

You mentioned that you don’t watch basketball much. What do you do in your spare time?

I’m a huge movie guy. Love movies. I go to the movies by myself. Watch them in my room. Cartoons, occasionally. I’m a big napper. I nap a lot. I’m just chill, in my room, minding my business.

Top five movies?

“Interstellar, “Lucy,” “Inception.” Any “Iron Man” movie. The fifth spot is up for grabs. Depends on what I’m feeling.

That’s a sci-fi answer but also a very 2019, Generation Z-type answer. You’re about to step into a league with 30-year-olds, grown men. Do you feel the generation gap?

Here, Summer League, no. But I met Andre Iguodala and it definitely was a different age gap. But I don’t think it’ll be too bad, just a setting that, you know, you’re little bro now. But not too different from college, you have a senior who is 23 and you’re a freshman at 18.

Where’d you meet Andre? Must’ve been one of his final days with the franchise.

We were just in practice for Summer League. He came in to talk to some people. Met him in the training room area.

You’re a big animal guy, too, right?

Love animals. I go to the Humane Society sometimes. The one that was back at school, Huron Valley, but also a Wisconsin one back home. Just to pet the cats. Dogs.

When I was really young, I went through this program where I’d go up there and walk the dogs in the shelter. They just wanted to get out. I love animals. I just happen to have cats.

Cat guy. That’s rare in the league.

It is. One hundred percent. I feel like I’m pretty unique. I’m very chill, laid back. I feel like coming into this city is a fit. I’ve got a Cali vibe. I feel like my entire life I was meant to be from California. Beyond pumped about the Bay. No snow. Whaaaat?

(Photo: Michael Reaves/Getty Images)
Thanks breh.