OFFICIAL *The Americans { SEASON 1 & 2 } Thread*

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
1. It doesn't honestly. It's a great show but at only 10 eps so far I can't put it alongside any of those. I wouldn't even put "Game of Thrones" or "Homeland" in contention yet either with only 2 seasons. The heavyweights like "The Wire", "Sopranos", "Breaking Bad", "The Shield", etc. held it down for 5-7 seasons. 1-2 seasons ain't much.

Again, it's a great show but I can't put any show in any kind of over all ranking after just 10 eps.

2. The central story line is the Cold War. The show is set in 1984 at the height of the beef between the U.S. and Russia. Even eps with side plots still tie into the over arching theme of the Cold War. It's highly serialized like "Breaking Bad", or "Homeland". Every ep is part of the larger story.

Fred.

What do you think can make the show better and keep it from lookin' :flabbynsick: by the end of its run? Like, what would you like to see added to flesh it out.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
What do you think can make the show better and keep it from lookin' :flabbynsick: by the end of its run? Like, what would you like to see added to flesh it out.

Kinda hard to say really.

I dunno if you listen to rap, but a lot of TV shows are like Jadakiss. He's arguably never spit a wack verse in his career, but at the same time he's not known for :whoo: verses either. He maintains a level of quality, you can always rely on him for that, but 99.99% of the time he's never going to deviate from that, for better or worse.

"The Americans" is a good show. There is no real complaint I can make against it. However, out of the 10 eps we've seen, there hasn't been 1 :whoo: moment. You know, like Wallace from "The Wire". Or the first time they see Avon:

ac2bb49b37.gif

Or this scene from "Breaking Bad". This scene and the scene after it is when I knew the series was something special:

breakingplate.gif

Obviously both of these shows have too many :whoo: moments to name, but that's kinda the point. "The Americans" is good, but never great. The closest it's came so far was this last ep with Gregory.

The only other component I can think of is time. Time is very important. I remember when people were talking about "Heroes" is a GOAT contender after 1 season. I need 4-5 seasons of consistent greatness before I can even start talking about a show's over all ranking.

Fred.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure the :whoo: moment is gon' be when they off Nina. I don't see here makin' it past season 1 :to:

That effect of it might spark a change in Stan for the next season, probably for the worst

Mané Swagincha

6 times
Daps
I really didnt think this was one of the best eps, not alot of action, not alot of Phil and Liz workin together. I defintely thought they were gonna merk Gregory cold blooded and that wouldve made for good tv.

There have been tons of :whoo: moments for me

The whole first ep and the final scene with Phil hiding in the garage ready to murk Stan.

Liz and Phil putting in that tag team work killing the assassin that was brought in to kill the scientists.

Phil with the different costumes in each episode. :wow:

I'm sure they got something :cook: for us in the final ep

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I dunno if you listen to rap, but a lot of TV shows are like Jadakiss. He's arguably never spit a wack verse in his career, but at the same time he's not known for :whoo: verses either. He maintains a level of quality, you can always rely on him for that, but 99.99% of the time he's never going to deviate from that, for better or worse.

"The Americans" is a good show. There is no real complaint I can make against it. However, out of the 10 eps we've seen, there hasn't been 1 :whoo: moment. You know, like Wallace from "The Wire". Or the first time they see Avon:

ac2bb49b37.gif

Or this scene from "Breaking Bad". This scene and the scene after it is when I knew the series was something special:

breakingplate.gif

Obviously both of these shows have too many :whoo: moments to name, but that's kinda the point. "The Americans" is good, but never great. The closest it's came so far was this last ep with Gregory.

The only other component I can think of is time. Time is very important. I remember when people were talking about "Heroes" is a GOAT contender after 1 season. I need 4-5 seasons of consistent greatness before I can even start talking about a show's over all ranking.

Fred.

:salute:

Skilltastrophy

Mizzou Mafia
Daps

ac2bb49b37.gif

breakingplate.gif

Fred.

they been giving us too many 40 degree days :jawalrus:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Greg went out like a G, but I was like :why:. He coulda been out in Russia knee deep in some Russian harlots every night, and we already know for a fact he likes dat Russian tang *Points at Liz*.
nah if american didnt like black people i cant even how russia would look at some random black guy walkin round. homie shoulda just ran to compton:yeshrug:

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nah if american didnt like black people i cant even how russia would look at some random black guy walkin round. homie shoulda just ran to compton:yeshrug:

The Soviet Union in the 70s/80s was about as welcome for black people as it gets. Things have changed alot.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
For me the moment was the 'In The Air Tonight' part from the premiere, I can't say it's up there with 'The Sopranos' or 'Mad Men', but it's right there, a little below.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
We need that moment where Stan is taking a shyt and realizes he lives next door to KGB agents. That probably (and shouldn't) happen until season 3. I think the ultimate measure of this show will be if they put Philly Free and Miss Elizabeth in a situation where they have to off each other or go on the run. We all know they're gonna get back together. Actually pitting them against each other will be the true measure of the show. What if Stan's wife finds out about Phil and Liz first and they murk her during the season finale? :ohhh:

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
We need that moment where Stan is taking a shyt and realizes he lives next door to KGB agents. That probably (and shouldn't) happen until season 3. I think the ultimate measure of this show will be if they put Philly Free and Miss Elizabeth in a situation where they have to off each other or go on the run. We all know they're gonna get back together. Actually pitting them against each other will be the true measure of the show. What if Stan's wife finds out about Phil and Liz first and they murk her during the season finale? :ohhh:

:smugdraper: and you know Stan crazy ass gonna think it was the KGB even if they fake a death real nice.