Official Succession Thread 🟠 Season 4 Currently Airing

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
A lot of critics hated the first season when it started. I hope they're not trying to make up for their mistake by overhyping it now.

Probably.

Critics acted like it got significantly better and the tone switched midway through S1, but the truth is they just didn't get the tone early and when they finally got it that's when it "clicked"

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Did I say I was team Connor?

I know y'all team Greg

#settrippin

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I was sleeping on this show. In a lot of ways I feel this was the show that Billions was supposed to be. Can't wait for season 2.

On a side note, Kieran Culkin has mastered the art of playing a smug scumbag.

Logan: Why don't we do all the news
Roman: Well KIM JONG POP that's not how things work in this country.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
I was sleeping on this show. In a lot of ways I feel this was the show that Billions was supposed to be. Can't wait for season 2.

On a side note, Kieran Culkin has mastered the art of playing a smug scumbag.

Logan: Why don't we do all the news
Roman: Well KIM JONG POP that's not how things work in this country.

completely agree with this. Just finished binging the first season, and this show is just something you take more seriously. Billions writing has always been questionable but with Axe vs Chuck not being the focus of the last season, shyt got exposed and the show became far too silly for my liking.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Probably.

Critics acted like it got significantly better and the tone switched midway through S1, but the truth is they just didn't get the tone early and when they finally got it that's when it "clicked"
Exactly. I'll even admit myself I didn't "get" the pilot the Sunday it first aired. All the humor went over my head. The show is written like a comedy, but the actors don't deliver the lines like jokes or pause for you to get the joke, so if you're not paying attention you'll miss it. When I rewatched it later in the week I was laughing at everything I missed (eg Shiv taking all Greg's money, so he had no cab fare)

Did I say I was team Connor?

I know y'all team Greg

#settrippin

President Connor would be the worst. I'd watch that as a spinnoff though.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
The cast was great, but Greg was hands down my favourite character in this.

The joyful energy he had when shredding the papers that could sink the company was :russ:

"GREG IS CHOPPING IT UP! :gladbron:" killed me on contact.

He's like a cross between Richard Splett in Veep and Michael Cera in everything.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. I'll even admit myself I didn't "get" the pilot the Sunday it first aired. All the humor went over my head. The show is written like a comedy, but the actors don't deliver the lines like jokes or pause for you to get the joke, so if you're not paying attention you'll miss it. When I rewatched it later in the week I was laughing at everything I missed (eg Shiv taking all Greg's money, so he had no cab fare)

I got it immediately. And not in some "I'm smart" way, but because I was familiar with the writer who created it (Jesse Armstrong) and his previous work and collaborators (Veep etc.) I went into it knowing that while it was glossy and slick and "HBO" looking, that there was a good chance they wanted me to laugh more than they wanted me to think.

Daps
Probably.

The show is written by all British writers so the humour which is dark took some time for US critics to appreciate. The show is pure piff and fukkery and it's all within 1 family.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I got it immediately. And not in some "I'm smart" way, but because I was familiar with the writer who created it (Jesse Armstrong) and his previous work and collaborators (Veep etc.) I went into it knowing that while it was glossy and slick and "HBO" looking, that there was a good chance they wanted me to laugh more than they wanted me to think.

To be fair to me, I'm not sure the actors "got it" either when they make the Pilot. I think Kieron Culkin was the only one who acted like he was on Veep, and Greg was kind of doing a Michael Cera impression. But I don't think the other actors really got that they were in a comedy in the pilot.