Official Star Trek: Picard thread

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not the biggest Star Trek expert, but I thought that The Next Generation mentioned that there was no money in the Federation anymore. But there were some references to the "cost" of going on the journey this week. Did they retcon the "no money" thing away, or does "cost" mean something non-monetary?

That's something that's never been made clear. On ds9 federation officers had to pay for drinks at quark's, but then you get Picard saying there is no money. Sure you have replicators to make tea for you, but sisko's father ran a restaurant with no replicators. I'm sure somebody has to pay for the real ingredients to make the food. Hell Picard lives on a vineyard. I'm sure he's not making all that wine just to drink himself into an early grave.

It's only logical they have money. Replicators take care of the essentials, and if you want any fancy luxuries you gotta go out of pocket. It's just Picard probably doesn't sweat money because in Starfleet everything is already provided, and it's obvious his family is old money

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's something that's never been made clear. On ds9 federation officers had to pay for drinks at quark's, but then you get Picard saying there is no money. Sure you have replicators to make tea for you, but sisko's father ran a restaurant with no replicators. I'm sure somebody has to pay for the real ingredients to make the food. Hell Picard lives on a vineyard. I'm sure he's not making all that wine just to drink himself into an early grave.

It's only logical they have money. Replicators take care of the essentials, and if you want any fancy luxuries you gotta go out of pocket. It's just Picard probably doesn't sweat money because in Starfleet everything is already provided, and it's obvious his family is old money
Quark wasn't a part of the federation neither was ds9 it was a bajoran station and the federation was administrators.

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Quark wasn't a part of the federation neither was ds9 it was a bajoran station and the federation was administrators.

When O'Brien and Bashir went to buy drinks at the bar they paid. They weren't members of the bajorian military. I'm sure bajor didn't pick up their bar tabs, and I'm sure quark never gave up free drinks. Only conclusion I could draw is that they were paid in some kind of currency that is universally accepted by alien businesses

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When O'Brien and Bashir went to buy drinks at the bar they paid. They weren't members of the bajorian military. I'm sure bajor didn't pick up their bar tabs, and I'm sure quark never gave up free drinks. Only conclusion I could draw is that they were paid in some kind of currency that is universally accepted by alien businesses
I don't know how they got the money all I'm saying is it wasn't part of the federation that is why money was used we never actually saw money used in the federation.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
I don't know how they got the money all I'm saying is it wasn't part of the federation that is why money was used we never actually saw money used in the federation.
We're In the kelvin universe now and this isn't the same star fleet you grew up in, the show is the same but after the romulan supernova everything changed

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We're In the kelvin universe now and this isn't the same star fleet you grew up in, the show is the same but after the romulan supernova everything changed
Yeah that is a poor excuse imo since they claim it is the prime timeline and how did it change the past with discovery?

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Yeah that is a poor excuse imo since they claim it is the prime timeline and how did it change the past with discovery?
They didn't change the past with discovery, we still don't know what timeline discovery is in. They changed the past with the star trek reboot

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
last 10 minutes gave me chills..when the theme plays...:ahh::banderas:

rest of the ep was ok.

Hope since now they're in space it'll be more Trek like...

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They didn't change the past with discovery, we still don't know what timeline discovery is in. They changed the past with the star trek reboot
It was a big ass Klingon war not long before the beginning of the original series now with discovery. Also during that time frame every Starfleet vessel had there own insignia now they all have the same one that's just a few minor things since I erased discovery from my memory lol.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I'm not the biggest Star Trek expert, but I thought that The Next Generation mentioned that there was no money in the Federation anymore. But there were some references to the "cost" of going on the journey this week. Did they retcon the "no money" thing away, or does "cost" mean something non-monetary?
Money exists The New World Economy of the Trek Universe it just isn't the necessity of life like we treat it.
Starfleet uses Federation Credits for anything that can't be created by replicators and for interaction with non-Starfleet civilizations.
I mean they tried to buy a wormhole in a TNG episode using Federation Credits.
They also pay Starfleet officers credits for when they may come into contact with a society that does still treat money as a necessity.
So maybe their budget didn't allocate for however much it would cost to pay a crew to go flying off with Picard.