Official Snowfall Season 4 Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where you think I’m from?
A quick google search will tell you south Central has always been economically deprived
That’s why ready rock took off
Cause it’s looks nice doesn’t mean a thing

The bigger question is how OLD ARE YOU? Because unless you are 50 YEARS OLD and OLDER. I find it hard for you to know how it was 40 YEARS AGO.

Or a legendary OG BIG U must be lying when he said there the crips in South Central were looked at as "wealthy crips" because of living in living in houses and people owning businesses and not the ones living in apartments and projects.

Or maybe you forgotten that South Central was once VIEWED as the West Coast Harlem.

90011: South Central Los Angeles, the "West Coast Harlem" | Antaeus Theatre Company

After the Watts Riots, South Central became a hotbed for the Civil Rights movement. There was a political electricity in the air that kept the residents’ spirits strong until the 1980s. Economic changes that had led to a wave of unemployment and disappearance of available jobs, coupled with the rise of gangs and the crack cocaine epidemic, devastated the area.

So, yea... that GOOGLE SEARCH that you suggested only PROVES the fact that South Central was once a WELL-OFF AREAS for affluent black people only for it to fall into a impoverish state once the 1980's hit because of Reaganomics and the crack epidemic. So.. MAYBE you need to do your OWN history rather than act like because you from there NOW that you know it all.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
South Central at no time was ever considered an upscale neighborhood
Don’t let the sunshine and manicured lawns fool you

I'm talking about the world in the show, though.
I'm not an LA expert, but I CAN tell that the show is making some artistic choices that aren't 100% faithful to the real world in order to make a point. For example, from what I've seen in most other shows, LA had a gang problem going back long before the time period of the first season. e.g.:

You're not seeing any of that on the show, and I think that's on purpose. The pre-Franklin world is all Palm trees, smooth music, and BBQs.
The show isn't trying to give us a realistic documentary about real world gangs. Its trying to give us a metaphorical story about how one fictional character destroyed his community. So, they're exaggerating how nice the world was until their guy ruined it.

Back in season 1 the show made point to show us that there was a pretty big class difference between Franklin's mother and the people who lived in the neighborhoods that she used to sell houses too. Also, Franklin went to a presumably expensive private school with friends who were people in the Hollywood movie industry. So, Franklin never ever had the cliched motivation of "trying to get out of the ghetto". He's a greedy kid from a good neighborhood.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I met Walter Mosley before, he had to have something to do with this being written in. Swear this show good at pressing buttons at times. :pachaha:
That's dope! Mr. Mosley is my favorite author (we need a new Easy Rawlins book & movie), and NOBODY can write Los Angeles stories as vividly as he does.

JordanWearinThe45

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Owners of the book store refused to sell, that kept delaying the city councilman’s apartment complex project, costing him time and money. Franklin knew the couple so he saw it as an opportunity to sell them on a dream, and buy it so he could flip it to the councilman and get in good graces with him. It looks fukked up on the surface, and to an extent it is - but like Frank and his mom said, they were gonna lose that building one way or another. At least with this route they got paid a bunch of money and were offered a bigger property a mile away.

Franklin's gonna have a financial stake in the project, which is another legit stream of revenue, but beyond that doing business with the councilman gets him in a powerful inner circle that involves The Mayor. That's how he made one phone call and got officer Nix relocated.
This man gets it :obama:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
That's dope! Mr. Mosley is my favorite author (we need a new Easy Rawlins book & movie), and NOBODY can write Los Angeles stories as vividly as he does.

I’m embarrassed to say I still haven’t read one of his titles yet. I got all of them in store tho, it’s too much shyt too read out here for me lol. Easy Rawlings might be a Netflix move frfr, drop them joints like albums n shyt :pachaha:

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
The show isn't trying to give us a realistic documentary about real world gangs. Its trying to give us a metaphorical story about how one fictional character destroyed his community. So, they're exaggerating how nice the world was until their guy ruined it.
True

that’s one of my problems with the show it’s a fictional account of the beginning of the crack era

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
I’m embarrassed to say I still haven’t read one of his titles yet. I got all of them in store tho, it’s too much shyt too read out here for me lol. Easy Rawlings might be a Netflix move frfr, drop them joints like albums n shyt :pachaha:
'Devil in a Blue Dress' is a good place to start if you want to start with the movies.
And you're right, an Easy Rawlins Netflix series would be
:whew: