Official Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Thread

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Slow news... Venom/Carnage delayed... still no Spider-Man trailer... a lot of people think whatever this does will determine how those are released.

I don’t think they’re finished filming Spider-Man and that’s one of the reasons why there’s no trailer yet. Never expected it to make December anyways.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
To the people discussing BO based on the link satam55 posted....
It has 1 like, 12 Retweets and the numbers are from some guys Wordpress blog.:mjlol:

I have no idea what this movie will do, honestly ain't checked for it since seeing the first trailer....but there isn't any real BO predictions out yet.

Fred.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
If this doesn't do well one reason might be because people are tired of seeing Asians do kung fu all the time
I don’t think this is the problem
You have a relative unknown lead(unless you watch Kim’s Convenience)
Many people(even Asians) are turned off by Awkwafina
Many people don’t know Tony Leung the Gawd unless you are a big Asian cinema fan
Or Michelle Yeoh who is a legend in her own right
Add that all to a pot with Superhero burn out
A global pandemic
Multiverse confusion
These are the main reason this film won’t succeed
Plus like mentioned before
There was no lead up to this character in any films prior to this
Nobody even knows who the fukk he is if we are being completely honest
Hell I don’t know this character:russ:
Which many people are like:ld:
If they had introduced him through a show or mentioned him somewhere before this
Or at least retcon the Mandarin prior to this release in Dr. Strange
Then possibly people would have been hyped
Nowhere in the history of the world
Are people tired of martial arts or action movies
China has a billion dollar industry off these films
Historical and non
South Korea stays with martial arts films that even bleed over to K-Dramas
Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Japan stay producing movies with martial arts as well
So that is a stretch in logic
The story just seems flat from trailers(I won’t be day one but I will eventually see it)
Also it’s up to Asians to make noise about this
You want representation
Well get your ass to the theatre and stop crying on social media
Nobody gives a shyt about your tears
Double mask up and double support like black folks did with BP:hubie:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
You don’t think that movie companies and other entertainment industries have revised their estimates to account for COVID already? If the numbers come in lower than those revised estimates, then it’s a flop.

People gotta realize out here that the numbers and estimates have already been adjusted to account for COVID. They are not out here using pre-covid estimates anymore.
My criticism is only on reporting of the box office for these movies and not what is going on internally at studios.

Estimates for The Suicide Squad were for it to do around $70 million worldwide on its first weekend and it ended up doing $72 million worldwide yet all reports were that it was a massive flop.

Those reports also completely ignored the fact that it was available on HBO Max and that driving people to sub to HBO Max to see it was more important than anything else to WB/ATT. Now I don't know what the new sub numbers are but that would be a better way to decide if the movie was a flop or not than to continue to try and use pre-pandemic box office calculations.

It is looking like $25 to 40 million is the range for any movie's opening weekend nowadays but none of the reporting ever acts like that is the new fact of life...they instead compare box office for a movie now to box office for similar films pre-pandemic. That is just dumb.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
My criticism is only on reporting of the box office for these movies and not what is going on internally at studios.

Estimates for The Suicide Squad were for it to do around $70 million worldwide on its first weekend and it ended up doing $72 million worldwide yet all reports were that it was a massive flop.

Those reports also completely ignored the fact that it was available on HBO Max and that driving people to sub to HBO Max to see it was more important than anything else to WB/ATT. Now I don't know what the new sub numbers are but that would be a better way to decide if the movie was a flop or not than to continue to try and use pre-pandemic box office calculations.

It is looking like $25 to 40 million is the range for any movie's opening weekend nowadays but none of the reporting ever acts like that is the new fact of life...they instead compare box office for a movie now to box office for similar films pre-pandemic. That is just dumb.

Well Shang-Chi is about to be the litmus test for Disney since it's not going to be on Premier Access. Will those people who would have watched the film on Disney Plus actually show up to the theaters to watch it? Even if they do, the true success/failure of the movie won't be known until it finally gets released in China. The fact that the toys are already on clearance doesn't bode well for the outcome of the field as they haven't been moving like that compared to other well known properties. So Disney is operating at a loss already for the film because of that particular aspect.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
they keep releasing little tv spots that continue to have zero "wow" setpiece shots or anything. the most exciting thing they've shown is that dude cutting a bus in half and that was in trailer 1.

they also seem to think the public craves weak Awkwafina one-liners. she has had more dialogue than the main character over the course of the trailers, and she's not famous enough for that spotlight, imo. every now and then trailers have a line of dialogue that is so awful i remember it for life, and her "what happened to your shirt" delivery is probably gonna be one of those.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
they keep releasing little tv spots that continue to have zero "wow" setpiece shots or anything. the most exciting thing they've shown is that dude cutting a bus in half and that was in trailer 1.

they also seem to think the public craves weak Awkwafina one-liners. she has had more dialogue than the main character over the course of the trailers, and she's not famous enough for that spotlight, imo. every now and then trailers have a line of dialogue that is so awful i remember it for life, and her "what happened to your shirt" delivery is probably gonna be one of those.
I don't get Awkwafina at all and I can only assume that she is so prominent in the marketing of this movie because she is really popular with Asian audiences but she only annoys me.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't get Awkwafina at all and I can only assume that she is so prominent in the marketing of this movie because she is really popular with Asian audiences but she only annoys me.

Awkwafina was a weird casting choice in general. I assume since she already was under the Disney umbrella for Raya, they kept her on speed dial because they didn't feel like looking for new Asian actresses.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
she's fine in small doses, but this doesn't seem like a "small dose" role. i get why the ads are heavy with her, b/c the average person has no clue who anyone else in this movie is. 10% might know her.

i don't know, this is a MCU movie, but the marketing hasn't focused on anything MCU related either. it's weird. rock and a hard place i think with this one.

I'll be there opening weekend though. always.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Like I said, it's going to be harder to impress post-Endgame. I think the sfx don't look too hot especially when Liu and Leung are facing off on the battlefield.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Iron Fist but not the gay TV version.

Iron Fist would be redundant especially since they're adding more overt mystical/superhuman abilities to Shang in the MCU. They could bring in Luke Cage and have him team up with Shang Chi and that would be your new Heroes for Hire.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Iron Fist would be redundant especially since they're adding more overt mystical/superhuman abilities to Shang in the MCU. They could bring in Luke Cage and have him team up with Shang Chi and that would be your new Heroes for Hire.

They've worked together in the comics (Iron and Shang-Chi) so the seeds for the partnership would be there. Shang Chi didn't meet Luke Cage until years later in the comics though, but you could always tinker with the story to pair all 3 of them together assuming they try the Heroes for Fire thing in Marvel form.

The only other option would be to have appearances from Spiderman in future films, but not sure how the Disney/Sony thing will play out.